Minerva's corner...

Good luck with the exams. Some times we get so impatient with this weight maklary that it's hard to focus on what really counts and exams are certainly trumping weight loss so well done you for realising that and managing it.

Thanks everyone! :D The exam today went really poorly, but I knew that would be the case, so I'm not beating myself up about it. I'll make sure to do better for the re-take in August. It's really not the end of the world as this is a subject (calculus...) that

a) is completely beyond me - other maths is actually fine, but this is a step too far :p and
b) is not even needed for the next two years of university - it'll be computer logic / programming all the way now with some business + law mixed in.

So yeah. :rolleyes: It is what it is. There is another exam tomorrow which will be significantly easier, so I'm not worried about it. As far as the diet goes, still keeping my calories around 1200 with the odd low-day thrown in (so 5:2) as 16:8 is a bit hard going for this moment in time. :)

Over the last two weeks I lost 2lbs as well, which is consistent with my two weeks of TOTM generally which is fine :) - I'm not counting last week's really low figure as it was due to me depleting my internal water completely because of something stupid I did, which I've stopped now. I feel like I won't lose anything eating this many calories per day, but at least I won't be gaining! (I hope...). Keeping it under control :)

2lbs is really good, you have obviously been under a lot of strain and still soldiered on!

Missed you around here x

Hi, have read through your posts I've missed, well done for not losing the plot through this stressful time (as I did, do and probably will do in the future!) I haven't been around this site much lately for various reasons (been struggling emotionally, physically and diet wise since my op, long story...it's been a tough couple of weeks) but don't want to lose touch. Good luck for the rest of your exams. I could never hack calculus either :). Be kind to yourself, this stressful time will soon be over. Sending you a hug xx

Right, I finally had time to catch up with most people, you're all doing so well! :) I'm pleased to see it and it just encourages me to keep going too! :D

So two exams over and done with, one more to go in 2 weeks time. :) I've had some problems with my cats, one of them actually had a good blood test result - was tested with minimal virus counts, so while it could flare up under stress in the future, for now, he's ok. The other one however, isn't doing well... His whole body is full of fluid as his immune system is reacting to it, so he was given heavy diuretics to try to slow it down so that it doesn't spread to his lungs just yet... and while his mass has gone down, it's not without unpleasant side effects, namely diarrhea *all* over the house. Poor thing. It's distressing to see and the clean up isn't easy either. At least we have redecoration on the cards and we'll be replacing most of the carpets soon. :(

Also went to see the new X-Men movie last night - the movie wasn't all that great, but there were no snacks, I just had my flavoured water and was happy! :) So yay. 800 calories yesterday or so, so keeping things under control. I am going out for a friend's birthday tomorrow evening, I won't watch my calorie intake too much as I know I can keep it low the rest of the days.

Hope everyone is having a good Friday! x

Right, I finally had time to catch up with most people, you're all doing so well! :) I'm pleased to see it and it just encourages me to keep going too! :D

So two exams over and done with, one more to go in 2 weeks time. :) I've had some problems with my cats, one of them actually had a good blood test result - was tested with minimal virus counts, so while it could flare up under stress in the future, for now, he's ok. The other one however, isn't doing well... His whole body is full of fluid as his immune system is reacting to it, so he was given heavy diuretics to try to slow it down so that it doesn't spread to his lungs just yet... and while his mass has gone down, it's not without unpleasant side effects, namely diarrhea *all* over the house. Poor thing. It's distressing to see and the clean up isn't easy either. At least we have redecoration on the cards and we'll be replacing most of the carpets soon. :(

Also went to see the new X-Men movie last night - the movie wasn't all that great, but there were no snacks, I just had my flavoured water and was happy! :) So yay. 800 calories yesterday or so, so keeping things under control. I am going out for a friend's birthday tomorrow evening, I won't watch my calorie intake too much as I know I can keep it low the rest of the days.

Hope everyone is having a good Friday! x

Glad you are back :)

Sorry to hear about one of your cats :( I do sympathise, my Bengal gets diarrhoea regularly and does it all over the house, good job we love em eh!

Hope you have a great time out with your friend x

I'm bloody fuming right now, someone's crashed into my car, which was parked in front of my house over the weekend. No note, nothing. It's the widest, most spacious cul-de-sac, you'd have to be a real IDIOT to crash into someone there. The damage is quite bad, the whole side panel will have to be replaced (if not the front bumper section as well). So do I repair it for probably a grand or drive around with it (as it's only cosmetic) and look like I'm the idiot who can't drive and crashed into something. F***'s sake. And no, I'm not screwing my insurance over for years and losing no claims because of some a***. :mad:

Minerva, I'm glad a couple of the exams are out of the way. Is this just your first year of this degree, then? Anyway, good luck with the next one.

I'm so pleased for you about your one cat. Sorry the other's not as well and is having diarrhoea all over your home.

And how rubbish about your car! I get what you mean about not wanting to involve your insurance company as you do get penalised for years, which is so wrong when it's not your fault. I wouldn't want to drive around with damage on my car that would make it look like I couldn't drive. To be honest, my car's probably not worth much more than a grand, though, so I'd probably just get a new one!

Minerva, I'm glad a couple of the exams are out of the way. Is this just your first year of this degree, then? Anyway, good luck with the next one.

I'm so pleased for you about your one cat. Sorry the other's not as well and is having diarrhoea all over your home.

And how rubbish about your car! I get what you mean about not wanting to involve your insurance company as you do get penalised for years, which is so wrong when it's not your fault. I wouldn't want to drive around with damage on my car that would make it look like I couldn't drive. To be honest, my car's probably not worth much more than a grand, though, so I'd probably just get a new one!

The news for one of the cats is good, I'm just worried about how he'll cope without his brother and whether the stress of missing him will set the virus off too. FIP is a weird one that the vets don't even fully understand.

Yep, this year is my first year of my third degree. So I'm not too worried about exam results (though of course I still want to do well) - as they don't count towards the final score at the end. I have a Sociology degree and a Masters in Criminology and I really love the social sciences, but there's not much application in them unfortunately. I thought about doing a PhD, but after a while, thought I could go into teaching with a Computer Science degree instead. So I've gone back to square one ... which I feel silly for at times at my age, but oh well. Life always takes twists and turns!

I actually had a car before this one - that was worth only about £800, on that one I wouldn't have cared so much! I loved my poor beat up Corsa, it was a present from my OH after I passed my test, it was really cheap and cheerful, but it died a horrible mechanical death in February, so I had to get a new car in March. It wasn't cheap and I really love it, so for some jerk to crash into it is just really horrid!

That's a real bummer Minerva. How annoying.

Someone crashed into me last year. Case still ongoing. Grr...

So sorry to read about your cats. I seem to relate to them more than humans ^^

Sucks about the car Mark :( I hope things get sorted out soon, people are always reluctant to admit fault even when it's totally obvious that they are in the wrong! And I know what you mean about pets... I'm the same, animals are amazing, I relate to them more than people a lot of the time too. But maybe it's because they were my only friends when I was growing up D: ... which is sad..

So... day 69. Despite all the difficult stuff going on, surprisingly I'm coping on the food front. I did have a day off on Saturday as it was a friend's birthday, it was nice to see some people who I hadn't seen for a very long time. I had too much food, but no alcohol, didn't feel like drinking, so went home early, which in retrospect was a mistake. Not sure why I did, as the people were nice.

Oh well, back on it now... Waiting for a quote to see how much the car repair will cost and also have to tidy up downstairs as we're having someone come and measure up for a new kitchen - it's long overdue for a renovation. The kitchen that came with the house is over 15 years old and is literally falling apart. And it's a horrible "manilla" colour, I mean, who puts like a pastel browny yellow in a kitchen? I'm going for a dark grey, which, ok, you might argue isn't the best kitchen colour either, but, it's more my style :p Does anyone have suggestions of where to buy a nice-ish quality, but not too expensive kitchen? :) I've not had the experience of such a thing before, so any suggestions / experiences welcome :D

Sorry to hear about your cat . One of mine has cat flu/aids and she gets quite ill at times, sneezing everywhere, the amount of snot that comes out of her nose is unbelievable!!!

That's terrible that someone would do that to your car and just drive off, mustn't have a conscience or they were drunk driving and didn't "notice".

Good luck with the rest of your exams

New kitchen sounds really exciting, I quite like the sound of dark grey.
Can't advise on where to buy one though.

Hope you have a fab day x

Sorry to hear about your cat . One of mine has cat flu/aids and she gets quite ill at times, sneezing everywhere, the amount of snot that comes out of her nose is unbelievable!!!

That's terrible that someone would do that to your car and just drive off, mustn't have a conscience or they were drunk driving and didn't "notice".

Good luck with the rest of your exams

Thank you Rach! I actually had an FIV cat before these two and luckily he was relatively healthy until cancer took him way too early. I'm always happy to hear people aren't scared to have an FIV cat, everyone's always put off by it :( Usually they aren't any different from any other health wise with the added bonus of being an indoor cat for all the extra love and attention. The flu in yours is slightly worrying though, I hope it doesn't affect her too much.
I'd say it's either drunk driving or maybe didn't have insurance/didn't want to affect it, as there's no way someone didn't notice a bang like that! Oh well, these things happen I guess. It's what I get for giving up the space in front of my house for my OH's flashy BMW. :rolleyes:

Back