Minerva's corner...

well done, any loss is a loss (I know I should listen to that too!!)
Glad the exam went wellx

Hi Minerva, just been reading through your blog, wow you should be so proud of yourself. Do you mind if I follow you? I may try making a diary for myself. Although I haven't done anything like this before, I guess it will be good to write down and from time to go back and see what worked and what didn't. keep up the good work you are doing great x

Thanks cuckoo :) It's definitely a good idea to start a diary, it helps a lot of people just to write their thoughts down and work through them - usually input from others helps a lot too!

Day 80 today! My OH convinced me somehow to celebrate the end of exams on Wednesday and I ended up with a (small!) pizza and shared a bottle of wine with him while watching The Martian. It was a nice relaxing evening, but I did feel bad for eating so much! There was a bit of candy in there too, but I don't usually eat it, so, it was a special occasion treat! Been 100% good since then, but somehow have to manage tomorrow and Sunday... I'm going to go play Dungeons and Dragons with some people tomorrow which means willpower to the max to avoid the unhealthy snacks. Maybe I'll bring some cherry tomatoes and carrot sticks - which I'm perfectly happy with. It's more a problem of seeing everyone else eat rather than the actual items themselves.

Sunday - we're going to OH's parents for Father's Day celebrations, most of his family are going to be there with a buffet of food. Argh.. I somehow have to avoid all that. Or be sensible. BUT. I still do have ONE problem around food - and that is, if I don't know the calorie numbers and if something clicks in my brain saying I've had too much, the "sod it, have ALL THE THINGS" trigger is pulled. I need to learn how to address it or it will be a big reason for any big regains in the future...

I saw Warcraft yesterday too... The movie was ... average as far as plot goes. It had a lot of content that fans would understand, but I struggle to see how someone who has never played any of the games would make sense of it. Still, a lot of the movie settings, characters and props actually exist in the game universe and that was awesome to see come to life.

:)

Well done on your 80 days and I think you deserved a small treat to celebrate end of exams.

I hope you have a lovely weekend with friends and family...

Ooh I'm not sure if I want to see the movie... I love the game so I don't want to take away from it too much...hmmm
. may wait for DVD...

Well done on finishing exams! Yay! You must be so relieved its over ! I wouldn't worry about the celebration too much, life needs a cut loose evening sometimes and you're doing amazingly well otherwise! I think the crudités for a DnD night are an excellent idea. Try rolling into your character and use it as a way to RP maybe....you've gone vegan to commune with spirits of the earth...

Nx

Day 80 today! My OH convinced me somehow to celebrate the end of exams on Wednesday and I ended up with a (small!) pizza and shared a bottle of wine with him while watching The Martian. It was a nice relaxing evening, but I did feel bad for eating so much! There was a bit of candy in there too, but I don't usually eat it, so, it was a special occasion treat! Been 100% good since then, but somehow have to manage tomorrow and Sunday... I'm going to go play Dungeons and Dragons with some people tomorrow which means willpower to the max to avoid the unhealthy snacks. Maybe I'll bring some cherry tomatoes and carrot sticks - which I'm perfectly happy with. It's more a problem of seeing everyone else eat rather than the actual items themselves.

Sunday - we're going to OH's parents for Father's Day celebrations, most of his family are going to be there with a buffet of food. Argh.. I somehow have to avoid all that. Or be sensible. BUT. I still do have ONE problem around food - and that is, if I don't know the calorie numbers and if something clicks in my brain saying I've had too much, the "sod it, have ALL THE THINGS" trigger is pulled. I need to learn how to address it or it will be a big reason for any big regains in the future...

I saw Warcraft yesterday too... The movie was ... average as far as plot goes. It had a lot of content that fans would understand, but I struggle to see how someone who has never played any of the games would make sense of it. Still, a lot of the movie settings, characters and props actually exist in the game universe and that was awesome to see come to life.

I went to see warcraftthe other week in 3d and really enjoyed it although never seen the game.

:)

Glad you've finished your exams and can relax a bit, it's such a good feeling isn't it! And you totally deserved a celebration, after all your stress and hard work. When do you get the results? Hope you enjoyed the father's day celebrations on Sunday, and your D&D games. I'm still trying to get my head back in the right place to get back on track, I have cut out a lot of the crap I was eating but keep saying "I'll start tomorrow, Monday, whatever" and it doesn't happen. :rolleyes:. x

Completely unrelated to dieting or otherwise, but I have to say, I'm actually pretty outraged at the result of the referendum. This is awful.

I was so suprised, I was sure it would be a remain. I still don't think it's set in stone we'll actually leave though. The referendum wasn't legally binding and all the major parties are pro-remain......

I've been struggling diet wise for the last two weeks... Which is why I've been quiet - most people who fall off the wagon hide in shame quite often :p ...Seems I still have a lot to learn. When my head is in the right place, it's all pretty crystal clear... When something derails me, I go off track completely. Oh well, at least if there are any positives at all - it is that I pick myself up quicker and quicker every time I fall down. Two weeks isn't the end of the world, tomorrow I'm going to start down the VLCD track again, because I feel some distance away from food might be beneficial for a while. I'm only really going to do about 4 weeks on Slim & Save and see how I feel then. This first week is gonna suck! :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear you are struggling, yep, we all hide when we aren't doing so well!
Have you tried slim and save before? I haven't tried any of their products x

Slim & Save is pretty decent :) I did their plan a few years ago as Lighter Life is just way too expensive! The products tasted nicer too. I've never tried Cambridge/Exante or Lipotrim though, so I can't really compare to those :)

Hi, totally empathise with struggling...I just can't get my head in the right place to get back on track since my op. I've been quiet too, mainly because it's a dieting forum...and I haven't been! I've got my youngest daughter staying with me for a few days as she's in the middle of a messy break up with her long term partner and just needed to get away, as mums do I've been supplying copious amounts of comfort food and wine which has put back my good intentions again.

I think slim and save products are about the best tasting of the vlcd ranges, especially their bars. They also have a first rate customer service facility and forum, great for support. I tend to use exante as they have really good offers on if you buy in bulk, their products have actually improved a lot over the last year or so.

Good luck! Sure you'll get back on track fine. Sometimes a VLCD is a good way to start again as it takes food completely out of the equation x

Slim & Save is pretty decent :) I did their plan a few years ago as Lighter Life is just way too expensive! The products tasted nicer too. I've never tried Cambridge/Exante or Lipotrim though, so I can't really compare to those :)
Good luck with S&S :)

There's no need to be quiet Ticketty, even though this is a dieting forum, it isn't all it is at times. :p I see plenty of people reach out for advice on various things or discuss non-diet related stuff too. I hope you are healing well? Has the physio become a little bit easier? I'm sorry your daughter is struggling at the moment, at least she has a wonderful mum to support her xx

Day 1 - again. We'll see how today goes :) Plan to stick to 3 VLCD meals today, plus coffee. Yesterday wasn't too bad, ended up at 1400 or so calories, I cut down on the junk and had a Hello Fresh! meal to use up. It was all fine until after dinner, some devil possessed me to make pancakes for dessert. o_O At least I shared them with the OH (some part of me was just going to eat the lot and he'd never know!) - he was out all evening at band practice, so he had a tasty surprise to come home to along side the stupidly elaborate Asian twist Duck a l'Orange.

WI this morning, and it's the same as last week - even with all the junk I was eating... but still +6lbs from 2 weeks ago. Technically, with the amount I've been eating and all the junk, I'm surprised it's not more. Oh well, it is what it is.

In a way, the downward spiral can be attributed to two things - complacency, I was starting to feel good in my clothes and my general appearance. I had some photos taken of me (I HATE being photographed...) at the family gathering on the 19th and I was so surprised. I didn't hate them! I actually looked ok! :eek: Might post it up at some point if I'm brave enough...

The second one was the old... "You've broken the diet now, one more day won't hurt". :rolleyes: And "there's room for a little gain, you'll get it off in no time". Well, this sort of thinking can, in my experience, undo EVERYTHING, as it continues pretty much almost all the way to the start weight... The brain is like - oh it's still below your starting weight, you're fine! Until you wake up one day and realise you're only 1lb away from that weight and you're like "Ah crap". So enough is enough, 6lb gain (some of which will thankfully be glycogen as I feel really 'puffy') is not the end of the world and fixable. The only thing I really regret is the waste of time. It's 3 weeks lost, 2 for all the eating and 1 to get it back down into the weight loss range. Oh well. :) No point in dwelling. Draw a line under it, start fresh. It's good to put my foot down before things get out of hand, I feel strangely calm to start this again.

Last edited:
Day 1 - again. We'll see how today goes :) Plan to stick to 3 VLCD meals today, plus coffee. Yesterday wasn't too bad, ended up at 1400 or so calories, I cut down on the junk and had a Hello Fresh! meal to use up. It was all fine until after dinner, some devil possessed me to make pancakes for dessert. o_O At least I shared them with the OH (some part of me was just going to eat the lot and he'd never know!) - he was out all evening at band practice, so he had a tasty surprise to come home to along side the stupidly elaborate Asian twist Duck a l'Orange.

WI this morning, and it's the same as last week - even with all the junk I was eating... but still +6lbs from 2 weeks ago. Technically, with the amount I've been eating and all the junk, I'm surprised it's not more. Oh well, it is what it is.

In a way, the downward spiral can be attributed to two things - complacency, I was starting to feel good in my clothes and my general appearance. I had some photos taken of me (I HATE being photographed...) at the family gathering on the 19th and I was so surprised. I didn't hate them! I actually looked ok! :eek: Might post it up at some point if I'm brave enough...

The second one was the old... "You've broken the diet now, one more day won't hurt". :rolleyes: And "there's room for a little gain, you'll get it off in no time". Well, this sort of thinking can, in my experience, undo EVERYTHING, as it continues pretty much almost all the way to the start weight... The brain is like - oh it's still below your starting weight, you're fine! Until you wake up one day and realise you're only 1lb away from that weight and you're like "Ah crap". So enough is enough, 6lb gain (some of which will thankfully be glycogen as I feel really 'puffy') is not the end of the world and fixable. The only thing I really regret is the waste of time. It's 3 weeks lost, 2 for all the eating and 1 to get it back down into the weight loss range. Oh well. :) No point in dwelling. Draw a line under it, start fresh. It's good to put my foot down before things get out of hand, I feel strangely calm to start this again.

I totally get these thoughts..........these rationalisations.
Refeeding has been difficult, I am not hungry, then I have a meal and want to eat everything in sight!

I hear you about photos, haven't got to the point I want to be in them yet but I am hoping I will get there.
I hope you get on well today, you are always an inspiration to me. I know that won't change x

Back