Minerva's on a mission!!

A wise decision to adjust your goal and relax about your weight a little, Minerva. It can become very all consuming and take over some what.

As for the hormone levels, try not to worry yourself. Wait for the results. There are lots of solutions to hormone imbalances.

Your perfume and vintage style sounds very "you"!! Enjoy finding some great vintage pieces. xx

...meh.... really, really struggling... Overall I'm doing ok... but when I get left alone in the house I binge really badly. :( Not on anything I "shouldn't" have, but ... the just WAY TOO MUCH of things "on the list", so imagine, 9 LL bars... in one sitting... and a whole white cabbage to myself... The cabbage isn't bad on the calories, but the bars are - they're small cakes after all. This is one of the last really bad behaviours I need to fix. Getting out of control when I'm on my own. I am starting to get to grips with it, because I really didn't want to do what I did yesterday... but it's a force of habit... so if I can break the habit just once, I'll be able to do it again. I think my bf will be going out sometime this week, so I will try to practice it.

I guess my holiday in 2 weeks time is REALLY throwing me off (crooked thinking like: you'll just put everything you lose now, so why not try to maintain for a bit?... but it contradicts what I WANT - which is to lose as much as possible to compensate for the damage, PLUS so that I look a little bit slimmer on hols!!)
I know I won't be 'dieting' and I know I'll continue my diet after I come back - which is a stumbling block for dieting right now too.... I know I can refocus after a holiday, I've done it on several occasions before. I haven't got a lot left to lose - 1 stone then maybe another 5-7 lbs for my 'box'... So the closeness of target, the "Famous last stone"!! is the hardest too!! The fat days don't help, I feel thinner than I look, which throws me and gets me into crooked thinking... Feeling full also sabotages me...

Well... seeing that I've already done some damage today... I'll try to stop this behaviour now and do a re-focus count down until 10th June starting tomorrow. I commit myself to my diary for the next 11 days trying to do 100% LLLite plan - 2 shakes and a meal (no bars - getting rid of those!!).

I reaallllllyyy want to get into the 10's!! I was 11 stone exactly at WI yesterday, I hope, I can lose a little bit and get under that. :) That would be a milestone, I'm so sick of being stuck in the 11's!! Maybe that was bringing me down too... 11's is a slow one....

Ah the famous last stone syndrome.
It's sooooo hard isn't it?
Sooner or later we will crack this Hun. I just know it. The way I see it. It's not a race. It's ok to take our time and allow our bodies to do it in its own time.
For me the emotional aspect of my weight loss is far more important and I want to focus on that first.
Hope it gets easier for you Hun xxxx

Sent from my iPhone 4 using MiniMins

Mags, I know you'll get there... Fix your heart and mind first, it's the most important thing. I know from experience, I couldn't diet until my wounds were a little more healed and I could face dealing with 'life' again. Try to maintain your successes as best as you can and concentrate on more important things right now ... you! xx

Gracie, I didn't quite realise our stats were quite similar! You're not far off goal either! :D I am off to Riga (capital of Latvia) with my partner soon. We have a flat there, our little 'holiday home'. :) For me it's going 'home', for my boyfriend - he's just enjoying the culture and a different environment. We've also invited a couple of friends to enjoy it with us too - and with accommodation sorted and only a flight to pay for - who can resist! :D

--

In diet terms, last three days haven't been too bad... Been keeping to my 2 packs and a meal in the evening routine... I don't feel too hungry yet, just starting to get a little light headed... Been applying for jobs, just sales assistant type roles to get me started around town, but, it's a steep learning curve for me... I'm quite shy, so I get stumped by questions - but it's a learning experience. The more I try - the more refined my technique will be... at least in theory... Ugh. Being in education for so long, has not done me any favours!

In another ... more naughty news... I've discovered Ebay... oh dear me. ... there's a devil in there for sure!

Sorry to hear you are struggling with the last bit, have you read The Beck book? Its got some really useful stuff in aling the cbt lines, I have only just started it but things seem to be clicking, hope thats a good sign!
I'm still miles off my last stone, and feel for you as it seems quite common last stone syndrome.
I'm sure your determination will bring you through. , along with the support from here.
Just look at how fantastically you have done from where you started, BIG pat on the back!
Jx

Thanks Julz for the advice, I had a look at the Beck's website, but I didn't like the way it was presented. It didn't 'speak' to me. I go by a different set of rules called 'Control Theory' by Glasser and I liked the ideas in that book. I find if there is too much information, too many approaches to how to do things it can get awfully confused and muddled up... so I stick to just one thing. :) Works for me.

Looking more and more forward to my holiday! I'm glad I went to LL class today, because I shared the thing I am struggling with - which is the 'what's the point of keeping to the diet if it's so close to being 'off' it for a while!'. It's not so much a conscious thing, but an emotional thing of 'why bother...!!!'. I'm glad I shared it though, because someone in my group said something very, very useful! I mentioned that I will be getting back on the bandwagon when I get back and have no problem doing that... She said: "Look at it as a payback system... Whatever you do now, which you shouldn't, you'll only have to pay back when you get back".

I knew this when I first maintained my weight, but this wonderful gem of wisdom had lost itself somewhere. I'm so glad this wonderful lady reminded me! Yes, the extra few days of keeping to the diet matters. It matters to stick to it before I go away. Plus, it will make the treats all that more 'special'... Then my boyfriend also said something else - by keeping the treats to somewhere that isn't home and a different country, means the "bad" habits stay in that country. Which also makes a lot of sense. I've done a lot of work to banish a lot of the not so healthy behaviours and things out of my house! I certainly don't want to allow any of that back in. :)

Back from the doctor, got my blood test results back. Everything was fine, except my oestrogen levels. It seems that I over-did the dieting thing so severely with LL and then my own prolonged self-starvation that I threw my hormones out of balance. The body shut down reproductive processes which do not come back on their own.
The doctor said that Oestrogen levels in Post-menopausal women were numerically measured at "200 or below"... Mine was at 60... Lol. She said my womb was so shrunken and hormone levels were that of an 80 year old! :eek: Luckily, it's easily fixed and I should see a full recovery once I'm back on a more normal contraceptive. I hope my libido comes back too, I've been missing it!! You definitely know something's wrong when you have no desire or need for adult pleasures for years on end. My poor partner, he's been so patient and good with me. He's a saint of a man, definitely unlike any other! I mean imagine your *boyfriend* of only 5 years being so patient, maybe getting action ... 5 times a year maximum? I think 99.999% of blokes would have done a runner!! Still, shows that there might be a glimmer of true love in there somewhere. :) The real stuff. The stuff we see in fairy tales, eh? :rolleyes:
He still makes me feel so special, still tells me how beatiful I look when I put a cute dress on. Still tries to hug and caress me every change he gets... What did I do to deserve such a person? :) I guess I never take it for granted, I always tell him he looks cute too, get him little gifts and stick cute doodles on his desk for him to find. Love goes both ways, it should not and cannot ever be one sided. Why should love be celebrated only one day a year on Valentines Day? In fact, we both get each other something small, but the thing is... we celebrate it every day of the year. Celebrate each other, knowing that whenever one of us falls... the other is always there there to cushion the blow.

Such is life. Tick, tock, we slowly and quietly move forward in harmony.

Glad to hear the health problems are fixable. Bring on the return of the libido. It will be retro undies next, which are fab ! to go with the retro frock xx

Hahaha thanks Clara! Not sure about the retro undies to be honest!! But would definitely be good to replace the boy-shorts ... :rolleyes:

Then again I'm not so much into the burlesque retro style, but much more into the housewife image, the homey long shirt dresses with petticoats, elegance and good manners like Kirstie Allsopp, not the sex kitten, cheeky type stuff like Dita von Teese. Not sure why. Just doesn't appeal to me I guess.
But !! When I was nicely dressed up yesterday, just walking around town a guy approached and said hi! Lol, haven't had that in a long time. Made me feel not so ugly. :) Was a good looking guy as well, not that I really care!

I feel like this second time around of losing weight (more sensibly...), I am enjoying the process more. It's not about the next 'weight target', it's not about the numbers on the scale, not about getting there as quickly as possible... This time I'm trying to learn how to be "normal" around food. How to balance out my compulsive behaviour, how to limit it's impact. I can't say I can ever eliminate it - because that is unrealistic. In bad, awful times, when life is just too much - we all revert back to what is most natural to us. What I'm trying to learn right now is how not to let it consume me if that happens. Damage mitigation and putting in "Safety Protocols".

I am also enjoying my body again. I may not be completely slim, but I am curvy. I am enjoying it! Playing with that hourglass shape. :) I'm not covering up my lumps and bumps - instead I'm accentuating the good things in my body - that way the lumps and bumps get hidden NATURALLY. I always found that by forcefully hiding the muffin top or saggy arms only draws MORE attention to them. Just like when we put too much cover-up on a spot on our face. It's MORE obvious than when we didn't do too much to it. Also by not over-hiding things, you yourself forget about it. And... when you forget, your body language changes and becomes more open. No one cares about another person's extra tummy. It just is. What matters is what's on the inside. As long as there's a warm and caring heart, then that is all we need. :)

Last edited:
Good on you chicken! Sounds like your head is in a good place at the moment. I read your diary update in bed last night but fell asleep before being able to reply. Your partner sounds like an absolute diamond - I'm a real romantic at heart and your post was so lovely and made me smile, it sounds as though you have found your soul mate and that makes me feel a bit gooey inside! :)

Your posts are inspiring and I always enjoy reading what you write and have taken a lot from what you say, even if I am really bad at replying.

Keep up the good work and keep happy, you deserve it! xxx

Weeeelll... I'm back home, tired as anything though! Had a great time, I'm so glad my partner had the opportunity to meet my grandmother. :) It was so touching, even though they couldn't speak the same language, it didn't stop them communicating without too much of a problem! She's certainly left an impression on him - a small, frail, nearly blind woman of 83 with a brain full of intelligence and youthful spirit will make any man think twice! When we left she said 'You are mine, I accept you and love you'. :) He was so patient and kind with us, I pity him slightly, he must have been a little bored, but bless him, he did so well... He paid his respects to my mum's and grandpa's grave. I hope he keeps his word and starts learning Latvian like he promised! ;)

He seems to enjoy Latvia quite a lot, mostly, I must say, probably for the food. We're both serious overeaters, we LOVE food. We'll eat at any opportunity! And he's definitely taken a shine to the Latvian cuisine, which is more wholesome, less based on chemicals, processed "air" food (for example, the bread is of NO comparison...), and more flavoursome. Because of my heavy dieting before going away, I was suffering quite badly, my stomach size can't handle it - plus the super rich foods were giving me a bit of heartburn.
Now, don't get me wrong, I LOOOOOOOOOOVE food and I wanted to keep up with my partner. There was also a big element of - if I don't have what he wants, he'll feel deprived inside. I know from experience, when I diet - I refuse all "fun" things, drink, food, etc... and I don't mind saying "No" to these things... but in doing so, it makes him feel bad about wanting it, makes him self-conscious about his own behaviour and then makes him feel pretty awful. I didnt want to make him feel that way for once, I wanted to "give him a break" as it were. Give him some pleasure... I had my own pleasure from it too, but just a bit too much for what I could handle.

While I had waaaaayyyyyyy too much and probably gained a stone of pure fat, I'm not all that bothered. I have no regrets. :) I enjoyed my holiday and actually most importantly, my partner and I had some delicious fun together! We shared our love of overindulgence and gluttony and laughed in it's face! Sharing that sort of passion this time was an interesting experience. While I had a few secret nibbles of a few naughty things, I didn't go to a dark bad binge sort of place. It took a year, but I've gently weaned myself off that sort of behaviour. Seriously bad binges are a hard habit to break and they are usually propelled by deprivation... but because before going away I was dieting without heavy boundaries it's helped... I was counting calories, but if I wanted to eat to feel full I had very high volume and low calorie foods (mushrooms, lettuce, cabbage...) which kept that awful hunger at bay. Just like having a "sleep debt", we can easily build up a "hunger debt".

I don't have a problem with food on such a bad scale anymore. Even the sugar based things... I can leave it without going into a crazy sugar rush now. I'm slowly learning to do things in moderation, it's all a work in progress. I am fully aware that to cement a more healthy approach will take years if not decades and I'm fine with that. Good things definitely come to those who have the patience to keep learning. There are no easy answers and no quick fixes! Just slow, steady progress to success. ;)

Either way, my general plan is to have this week to "unwind" from the holiday, slowly wean myself off the items that are not on the "list". I find a calm cutting down is better than going cold turkey, it's less distressful and less likely to end badly! Plus, my partner says he's going on a diet too, so this week is also to go out and have a few "last" meals with friends we haven't seen for a while.

Starting a fresh 8 week diet on Monday. :)

Sounds like your holiday had done you both the world of good,so pleased for you and so glad you had a fab time hun!:)
You sound much more focused in your head now with how to control your food,as you have given yourself time to sort it out.:)
Good luck on your weight loss regime,I'm sure you will be ok now!!:):)
Sexy xx

Last edited:
Don't know what to say really, at the moment... Day 1 back on a more restricted diet, gone by fairly smoothly, albeit the cravings are driving me nuts!! That rebellious child is screaming somewhere in the background for all the things it wants, but he can scream all he wants for now. :) I just keep promising him treats next week, but I know, by next week I won't want them! It's all in the mind.

I don't know how much I've put on, part of me doesn't want to know right now. I know my clothes do feel tighter! About an inch and a bit gained on the waist? Some of that is water retention and bloating... I get very puffed up around my middle when I eat too many carbs and sugary things. But after a few days of cutting them out it does go down. The hot weather really isn't helping though!

Ok, so while I was overly indulgent and had a couple 'naughty' extras... I actually feel quite pleased at my progress. I didn't blindly binge at the mention of anything sugar/bread related. I stopped eating when I had enough on most occasions (although could have been much earlier ;)), I never let it get to an uncomfortably full "I can't move" stage.
To some this may seem like common sense, something that is "in-built"... But I do struggle. I'm glad I have worked on my behaviour enough to know not to let myself get to a blind compulsive binge state. I know a year ago food would have been on my mind constantly. I would have been waiting for the "next fix", calculating non-stop of when I could steal a food item or a bite of anything without anyone noticing. If I couldn't fulfil my desire I'd get very irritable, agitated and unpleasant.

Slowly, I'm working on food not having such an iron grip on me. If I want to eat, I eat. Though, of course, on the diet - only certain types of food are allowed! But that's ok. When I don't have something for long enough (i.e. not on the LLLite list!) I don't miss it at all. This elimites the PANIC and DEPRIVATION that soon leads to bingeing and obsessive behaviour. I've learned that if I am too strict and controlling with myself and don't allow myself something for too long, I'll go crazy with it when I CAN have it.
Of course there are moments when I don't give into the "I want to eat!" mentality. Sometimes it's just inappropriate to do so, especially when I'm upset or anxious. Food isn't the answer, I do need to control it and never make the association of food making things "better". It won't. Though, sometimes it can put a plaster on a wound for a little while. :) It's just not a permanent solution.

Either way, starting this week off slowly and not too strictly. I find my diets work better if I start them off in a relaxed way instead of imposing way too many rules and restrictions all in one go. I'll get comfortable with calorie counting, bringing down the calorie limit to about 1000 and more restricted food choices for now. Next week it may come down a bit lower and will reintroduce food packs again.

So that's the general plan. :) ... Just wish that crazy inner child would shush though!!

Hey min!!

You sound in great form! Don't worry about the gain, I was the same when I came back from hols. A lot of it will be bloating and water retention. A few days of being disciplined and that will be gone. I returned from my holidays on a wednesday and by Saturday I was back on it!!! I did put on weight when I was away but as I went back on 5 days before my weigh in it wasn't too catastrophic!!
Surely you don't have much more to lose? You look awesome in your pictures!!!
I've another 3 stone to go, definitely 2 and I will see about the third. But really don't want to do it for longer than I have to.

Fantastic about your holiday and great that your partner settled in well!! Now doubt he was made to feel more than welcome.

Ask xxxx

Sounds like a good plan Min.
Lots of aspects of your relationship with food are similar to mine.
What can I have next. Can I have it without anyone realising?Then it talks to me until I have it.
I'm in the stupid situation of "rewarding" myself that I'm alive, even though my inner voice is saying "don't do it."
I keep telling myself and my husband that I'll stop when my chemo stats on 7th. July, but I also know that steroids are part of the treatment and that scares me.
Strange - your inner voice is a he. I had never thought about it before, but now realise mine is a she.
Good luck with getting rid of that extra.xx

:eek: I've disappeared again... The carbs have such a strong hold, I forgot how strong it can be! The second the threat of taking them away came, the rebellion began and .. led to bad places.
Doesn't help that my OH has started his new job and I'm on my own most of the day! Usually when he's around - as he has been for the last few years (apart from the small trips to University up the road for lectures).. I'm so used to him always being there with me, in the same room. I do miss him. He's also been my rock to not overeating, when he's around, I can't go off and eat something downstairs - it just doesn't work that way!
So I'm struggling to find the willpower within myself to deal with my compulsive overeating issue. When I'm alone it's definitely harder. I know that once I'm on the right path of being in the 'zone' I'm fine. But getting there, taking those first steps without taking steps backward is extremely difficult.

I know I'll get there, I have to. I don't want to completely undo all the work I'd done previously. I really have to get off the carbs, they make me bloated and hungry, I have to resist the temptation.
I've also bought myself the 30 Day Shred dvd. I'll start it on Monday, do it in 5 working day intervals and see how that goes... Though, not looking forward to it! I just did the full Level 1 work-out to see what it's like and it's tough! I can't say I can do any of the push-ups, I've always had extremely weak arms/upper body. I'll keep trying though.

Diet wise... I need to push through the carb withdrawal stage, count the one week down, day by day. After day 7 it gets easier. I just need to get there.

Wish me luck...

Back