Moonwatcher's Atkins Diary

Hi, Moonwalker,
I found your weight loss diary encouraging (except the JUDD part. I just started JUDDD Monday:sigh:) I have read many threads trying to figure out which diets work and which don't. I read about people praising a diet but their statistics don't show much success. So I was encouraged by your diary because it is real life, just like my experience and it gave me hope because it helped me to see, I have to find what works best for me and stick to it. I started spring of 2011 playing with Atkins- not really faithfully sticking to it. I have been obese all of my adult life and made myself a promise not to die "obese". I lost 50# by Christmas 2011 and played around losing and gaining most of 2012. In 2013 I gained back 13 of the 50 I had lost. Now I again want desperately to get serious and started May 6th on Atkins. I was not very successful the first week at losing but I have knee problems which are vastly reduced on Atkins. I am not sure why, I just know when I follow Atkins and stay relatively low carb, no sugar, no pasta, potatoes and high carb foods I have almost no knee pain. Problem is I lost 0 pounds. Monday April 13 I started Juddd. I had never heard of JUDDD so when I read about it I decided to commit for 1 month. So far 5 pounds gone. I am still doing Atkins just the JUDDD way. When I stick to Atkins I have no problems with hunger just boredom. So with JUDD if I slip a little on the carbs occasionally I really haven't broken my diet. I plan to do JUDD at least two weeks before I even consider any extra carbs. My plan (DD-400 CALORIES, UD- 2000 calories, Occasional MD-1000 calories staying at 20-30 carbs per day). I have not measured myself recently but I can now button clothes that I had to struggle to button 10 days ago. I gave away all my larger size clothes and will have to go naked if I can't wear my new size. LOL I feel good at the weight I am right now but I know I will feel fantastic when I lose another 50#. Thank you for your post and I pray someone will be encouraged by mine. At the end of May I will post my weight loss diary. Is it okay to post my diary to your thread or do I need to start another?
Life is to short to stay fat.

Hi oglalagirl and welcome to my diary. Well done on your loss so far. Don't let my experience with JUDDD put you off. You are absolutely right in that we all have to do what works for us. It looks like combining low carb and JUDDD is working for you at the moment. I find this forum very supportive and non judgemental - people will support and encourage you whatever diet you choose. I loved the JUDDD plan in so many ways, but for the time being Atkins/low carb is working for me. Please do post in my diary whenever you want to, but definitely start your own diary too, as you will find you get support from others through it and also I find looking back over my diaries really useful if I am struggling.

No worries about the name! :)

Food for Wednesday 15th May

Breakfast - 2 boiled eggs with butter and black pepper

Lunch - beef salad with horseradish mayo

Dinner - cold beef, pickles, salad, cheese,

Snack - trifle

Drinks - water and one coffee with cream

Last edited:
Food for Thursday 16th May

Woke up with a very, very sore throat last night :(. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't set the whooping cough off again.

Breakfast - 2 boiled eggs with butter and black pepper

Lunch - cheddar cheese salad

Dinner - beef burgers with smoked cheddar, spicy celeriac wedges, tomatoes and radish, raw onion rings and home-made chilli sauce, followed by egg custard

Snack - egg and cream cheese lemon custard

Drinks - one coffee with cream, water

Burger and Celeriac wedges.jpg Burgers and celeraic chips

Egg custard.jpg Egg custard with cream

Not in work today as woke up with the most awful migraine. Now, on my old carby way of eating I would have been in bed all day with lights out and blinds closed, and it would have taken about 3 doses of painkillers before the pain started to lift. When it finally started to lift I would crave something like chips or bread and butter. Today just one dose of painkillers worked really quickly and although I feel a bit groggy I have been 'OK-ish' for about half an hour, and am not craving any food in particular. I just had a couple of spoonfuls of cream cheese for a late breakfast. It may be nothing to do with the diet of course, but I have never had a migraine ease so quickly.

Lunch in a while will be home-made spicy beef soup

Dinner tonight - something with cornish lemon sole. Not sure what yet.

Glad the migraine seems to be lifting more easily today. It does seem like you feel much better on Atkins, it seems to really suit you.

The burgers look great. Do you still use extra lean mince for them? Or do things like that on Atkins really not matter? Celeriac chips are lovely. I always find the fact that celeriac is low carb really odd given how satisfying it is as a substitute. Have you tried cauliflower "rice" before? I imagine that would be a good Atkins substitute too. And is much much nicer than it sounds.

Hope migraine lifts properly so you can enjoy the weekend.

Glad the migraine seems to be lifting more easily today. It does seem like you feel much better on Atkins, it seems to really suit you.

The burgers look great. Do you still use extra lean mince for them? Or do things like that on Atkins really not matter? Celeriac chips are lovely. I always find the fact that celeriac is low carb really odd given how satisfying it is as a substitute. Have you tried cauliflower "rice" before? I imagine that would be a good Atkins substitute too. And is much much nicer than it sounds.

Hope migraine lifts properly so you can enjoy the weekend.

Definitely not low fat on Atkins, no. He specifically says not to do a low fat version of Atkins, although I know people do have success on low fat low carb. There is never a simple answer is there? I haven't tried the cauli rice but probably will. We had cauli mash tonight with a little parmesan grated on - very tasty.

Friday 17th May

Breakfast - cream cheese with lemon juice and a little sweetener

Lunch - home-made spicy beef and veg soup

Dinner - lemon sole with roasted green pepper, mashed cauli with parmesan and parsley lemon cream sauce. Unfortunately the fish wasn't filleted, so it was pretty hard going, although tasty.

Snack - crustless egg custard

Drinks - water, green teas with vanilla, a coffee with cream

Lemon sole.jpg Lemon sole, cauli mash, pepper and lemon parsley cream sauce

Looks nice, especially the sauce. The parmasan cauliflower mash also sounds really good. I saw an idea years ago to use mashed cauliflower to top a shephard's pie and thought it looked really good but I have never got around to trying it. This might spur me into action...

I thought that Atkins wasn't meant to be done low fat, I remember reading a few websites when I did my couple of low carb weeks, but wasn't sure if people followed that or not. Has the migraine fully gone now? Anything good planned for the weekend?

Hope you are finally feeling better!
hubby gets migraines from time to time and they can certainly lay you out!

magnesium is good for migraines. he takes a few tablets and it helps relief come faster

Looks nice, especially the sauce. The parmasan cauliflower mash also sounds really good. I saw an idea years ago to use mashed cauliflower to top a shephard's pie and thought it looked really good but I have never got around to trying it. This might spur me into action...

I thought that Atkins wasn't meant to be done low fat, I remember reading a few websites when I did my couple of low carb weeks, but wasn't sure if people followed that or not. Has the migraine fully gone now? Anything good planned for the weekend?

Have tried the cauli as a topping for shepherd's pie before - OH preferred it to potato! Oh yes- plenty of fat needed! There are low fat low carb diets but I haven't tried them. The science behind Atkins makes sense to me. I have just got a Gary Taubes book to read about the whole thing, which looks very interesting.

Migraine has gone thanks, although I am now completely bungled up with cold. One of the joys of working 'head to head' with all the kids!

We went to the coast for the day. It has been dull but warm here today - and dry! It was very pleasant not to get soaked for a change! We started with a build your own breakfast, then strolled round the town taking in the second hand shops and the health food shops, plus a visit to a couple of lovely little greengrocers - one of which is combined with a health food store! They apparently have fantastic gluten free 100% pork sausages, but they don't have them in at the moment. :( It depends on how big the pig grows. I kid you not! They are all 'free range' pigs with no added hormones etc, so how big they get varies a lot more, and it is only worth him making the gluten free sausages when he gets a larger pig with a bit more meat on it! Had fun stocking up on veg though, with raw horseradish, fresh lemongrass, pea shoots, rocket, lettuce, caulis (99p each which I thought was pretty good as they are locally grown too), some really colourful tomatoes, huuuge radishes, pink turnips, asparagus, fresh curry leaves and a host of other stuff. Their produce always looks so good - was very tempted by some fresh figs, but no fruit yet. Also nearly bought some baby striped aubergine 'cos they were so darned pretty, until I remembered we don't even like aubergines! They even have mint sprigs in water by the till for people to take a sprig free with their new potatoes!

Then once the tide was out we went for a nice walk along the beach for about 3 hours. Now in bed chilling with water and lemon juice. Pretty shattered as we have been on our feet for about 8 hours in total today, with a lot of shopping and lugging things back to the the van. Think we will sleep well tonight!

Hope you are finally feeling better!
hubby gets migraines from time to time and they can certainly lay you out!

magnesium is good for migraines. he takes a few tablets and it helps relief come faster

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely get some in to try. Fortunately I don't get them as often as I used to, but anything that helps to get rid of them more quickly is worth a go!

Just typed a long post which disappeared, so here I go again!

Food for today, Saturday 18th May

Breakfast/brunch - 2 scrambled eggs, 3 rashers of bacon, fried tomato and fried mushrooms. Also succumbed to a delicious pork sausage - was just going to have a bite from OH's plate, but it was soooo good that I gave in and finished the whole thing!

Tonight - feta and smoked cheese, radishes, golden baby plum tomatoes, picked onion and gherkin, olives, salami.

Snacks - 3 small pieces of pork scratching and half a bar of sugar free chocolate orange style chocolate. There is also a shop in this town we were in that sells a huge range of sugar free sweets.:D :(. I fully expected it to be pretty naff, but it was actually very good - better than the 'real' one in our opinion! Half a bar each which was 10g of carb. So Not sure how that compares to ordinary chocolate, but that and the sausage were definitely breaking the rules. What can I say? I'm human!

Drinks - one black coffee with the breakfast, one coffee and cream, diet coke, water.

WI tomorrow, so will find out if the indulgences have done any harm. Up to today was looking like a loss of just under a pound pound and a half, so we shall see...

Whatever the scales say we are going here for a late lunch tomorrow with a special offer food voucher, so £25 already 'paid' for!

Australian Restaurant Norfolk, Australian Food & Drink, The Outback, Ringland, Norwich

Will do my best to stick to meat/fish, veg and salad, but I will be honest with you dear readers, a handful of chips will probably find their way into my mouth, and I may have a liqueur coffee.

Sounds like a lovely day yesterday, despite all the lugging. The shop sounds lovely. I am a sucker for interesting food shops, whether decent greengrocer, farm shop or health food shop. I love fresh horseradish and usually keep some in the freezer but sadly I have run out and haven't seen any about for a little while :(

Good luck for weigh in this morning and hope you enjoy the meal out. Looks like a really interesting place. I very much like the idea of kangeroo bourginon or surf and turf where ther "surf" is crocodile! How much of an affect do small "slips" make on Atkins? Such as the predicted handful of chips? How much longer until fruit is allowed back in? I think that's one of the things I would find hardest and most annoying about the diet. And was certainly something I ignored when trying low carb.

Sounds like a lovely day yesterday, despite all the lugging. The shop sounds lovely. I am a sucker for interesting food shops, whether decent greengrocer, farm shop or health food shop. I love fresh horseradish and usually keep some in the freezer but sadly I have run out and haven't seen any about for a little while :(

Good luck for weigh in this morning and hope you enjoy the meal out. Looks like a really interesting place. I very much like the idea of kangeroo bourginon or surf and turf where ther "surf" is crocodile! How much of an affect do small "slips" make on Atkins? Such as the predicted handful of chips? How much longer until fruit is allowed back in? I think that's one of the things I would find hardest and most annoying about the diet. And was certainly something I ignored when trying low carb.

Well WI this morning was 14st 5.4lbs, a loss of 1.6lbs, making 9.8lbs in 3 weeks so far, so it looks like I got away with it yesterday, at least for this morning! :) I suspect that a WI tomorrow may show a different story though!

A small slip can make a difference of several pounds quite quickly, because (forgive the very simple explanation here, and apologies to any experts if I have it wrong, but,) as I understand it, when your body is working in fat burning mode it doesn't hang on to as much fluid (as glycogen, I think) in the cells and fat cells. When you have sugar, or a carb which can easily convert into sugar and often spike blood sugar at the same time, then your cells 'grab' it to hang on to and to use as fuel, instead of using your fat as fuel, because it is 'easier' but not necessarily better, for the body. (bad, lazy body cells! :p ) That gives you a sudden fluid gain on the scales. It will usually go pretty quickly once you get back on to low carb levels again, and doesn't mean you can't ever increase your carbs long term. Yesterday our carb levels worked out at around double what we have been having, so the sudden doubling of carb levels would I suspect make the body go way-hay - glucose! Whereas if you increase your carbs slowly over a period of time then your body adjusts as it goes. (At least that is what I told my OH, who had two sausages instead of one, and a latte in addition to the chocolate, and gained a pound this morning, and was devasted to think he could never have sausages again... refer back to earlier post re gluten free, 100% pork sausages!)

For our meal out today (one and a half hours to go!) I am going to ask to have my food served with a salad instead of veg and potatoes/rice. Realistically I will not know exactly what is in the sauces, so I am not going to spoil our meal by worrying about it, and after two days with some naughtiness I expect a possible gain tomorrow, but it is 6 more days after this to next weigh day, so I will get straight back on track tomorrow and aim to get any gain, and more, off for next week. On a brighter note, I have discovered that the OTHER bar of sugar free chocolate we bought yesterday - dark chocolate with cranberry - is only 9 carbs per half a bar, but a much bigger bar than the choc orange one, and therefore 2 good sized squares is only 3 carbs. It is also more yummy than the milk one yesterday, so that will be the chocolate of choice! We have had two squares each this morning as a treat, then it needs to go under lock and key until next weekend!

Re the fruit Atomic - you can move onto the next stage at any time after induction, and this is arranged in 'rungs' where you pick a food group to add, in measured amounts, and see if it affects you personally re your weight loss. You can add them in any order, but there is a suggested order which has been shown to work best for the majority of people. Last time I added more veg, then fruit and more dairy as my first three changes, then nuts and seeds, then moved onto the other options. I'm not planning to add fruit or more dairy as a regular option yet, as I want to get a good amount off pretty quickly before I start to relax things, but if an occasional full fat greek yogurt were to sneak in over the next month, I'm not going to stress about it, likewise a handful of blueberries. Rhubarb is allowed right from the start, and some of our home grown has my name on it, with home-made custard/meringue!

Horseradish - how do you store your horseradish in the freezer? I was thinking just peeling, grating and freezing, to defrost and add to some cream as needed!

Last edited:
Well done on the loss. That's such a good loss in 3 weeks :) Bet you are very chuffed and starting to see a difference in the way clothes are fitting etc by now.

Thanks for the info. I do find the whole Atkins/ very low carb thing quite interesting. Especially given the losses ;)

I just chuck the horseradish in whole and then grate as needed straight from the freezer. You can peel when frozen with a decent knive and i find its actually better grated when frozen as it tends to be a finer grating so mixes into things better.

Oh that sounds very easy for the horseradish. Thanks.

The food at the restaurant was absolutely delicious. I very nearly gave in to a starter of spring rolls with crispy duck and hoisin sauce, but managed to resist and stuck to my original plan - just a main course of kangaroo bourginion with mixed salad and asian coleslaw instead of veg and potatoes. Had 5 of OH's fries and a spoonful of his hot chocolate fudge cake. Drink was a diet ginger beer. Finished off with an australian liqueur coffee - bundaberg rum floater! Not a perfect Atkins meal, but oh so much better than it could have been!

Came home and made a rosemary, olive and garlic flax loaf. Used yeast in this one - with a scant half a teaspoon of sugar to get the yeast working - I reckon a teeny half a teaspoon between 12 slices is acceptable personally. As I had used yeast I didn't whip the egg whites this time - I wanted to see how it came out. It rose beautifully at first, but I had used my halogen oven and unfortunately it hadn't cooked properly at the bottom, so I had to put it back in the pan and into my ordinary oven. This killed the rise and it dropped quite a bit. I think it is because the halogen oven doesn't get enough heat into the bottom of mixtures like this - I think they need the heat from the bottom of an ordinary oven too, so next time I will just stick it straight into my basic oven.

Also cooked the rhubarb from the garden, made some sugar free meringue squares and 7 egg custards for instant breakfasts.

Tonight we had three slices of the rosemary and olive loaf with butter and cheddar, one babybel, two cherry toms, a gherkin, 4 olives and a scraping of home-made chilli sauce, followed by rhubarb with sweetener, meringue and cream.

Interested to see if there is much of an effect on the scales tomorrow. Off to bed in a few minutes.

Kangaroo bourginion.jpg Kangaroo bourginion with salad and asian coleslaw

Shall I.jpg Bundaberg rum liqueur coffee. Resisted the biccie!

Rosemary and olive flaxbread.jpg Rosemary, olive and garlic flax loaf, just out of the oven (for the first time!) The decorations on top are rosemary sprigs, not barbed wire!

Hi Moonwatcher, just dropping by to subscribe - really enjoyed reading your diary this evening, fantastic weight loss and mouthwatering food ideas and pictures Lisa-Ann xxx

Fantastic diary, moonwatcher, your menus look great!

I'm going to warn you off the sugar free chocolate though - or at least ask you to check the ingredients for sugar alcohols (anything ending in 'ol' with the worst of them being maltitol. If your choc contains these you'll be better off eating a couple of squares of real 75% or higher dark chocolate - or making cocoa bark with coconut oil - I have a thread in the recipes section with details on that but it's very good.

I bumped my thread in the main forum on 'sugar alcohols and why Atkins bars are evil' which may help but really you make such wonderful desserts and home made things have no nasties in - stick to those if you can!

Brilliant start, anyway. What's the recipe for your flax loaf? They look fab.

Back