Moonwatcher's (Final) Diary

It could be natural fluctuation or water retention... or if you've started new exercise it can occasionally be a gain.

Really hope it's only temporary lovely - you've done so well!! xxx
Thanks, Princess. I am consoling myself with the fact that if I hadn't lost it before I gained it back again, then I would weigh even more now! I have also given up trying to figure out 'why' all the time, as I find sometimes it just has no logic at all! Obviously there are often times where you can look at things and see where you have gone wrong, and learn from them, but over the years I have also seen plenty of these seemingly illogical gains or STS, not just for me, but for other people too. I suppose slimming and weight loss just isn't fair - if it was we wouldn't be on here! I try to accept that my body will pick and choose and do what it wants - not what I want, although sometimes that is easier to do than others! Anyway, I have had two days back on plan, so onwards and downwards, I hope! xx

Food for Friday August 29th

Breakfast: Greek Yogurt with half teaspoon Demerara sugar

Lunch: Two boiled eggs with two small slices GF bread as soldiers - naked soldiers - no butter! A pear

Evening picnic, from the cool bag:ham and cheese salad with beetroot, mixed leaves, peppers, tomatoes, basil, red cabbage coleslaw, and from the 'hot-bag': boiled potatoes and oven roast corn on the cob cooked in chopped fresh chilli and lime juice and a drizzle of olive oil, handful of plain crisps, fresh cherries

Snacks: small fruit lolly

Drinks: one coffee with cream, one earl grey tea, water, diet coke and diet ginger beers

Total syns for the day: 17/105 - 88 remaining. I am going to count my syns weekly, allowing for a few more on weekend days, fewer during the week, aiming for max 15 daily, but not worried if I go a bit over at weekends, as long as I make them up during the week.
HEA: cheese
HEB: soldiers

Saturday August 30th

Breakfast: microwaved egg custard with sweetener, cinnamon and blueberries, drizzle of cream on top

Dropped off a birthday present, popped into Poundland for a few bits and pieces and then lunch at Wetherspoons: Chicken and pepper kebabs, salad, rice and a little of the peri-peri sauce,

Afternoon: small coffee and half slice of gluten free plum and ginger cake. The coffee shop owner was lovely - they had just closed when we got there, but opened up again for us. We've never even been there before. Then she gave me a free gluten free cupcake and a piece of gluten free chocolate cake to take home, as she said she would rather give them away than throw them away. How sweet. They are safely in the fridge, for tomorrow!

Evening picnic: GF bread roll with ham and jerk sauce, cherry toms, beetroot, an apple and a tangerine, 7 roasted, salted broad beans. Not sure how to count these - pulses are free on Extra Easy, but I suspect as these are dried that technically they may fall into the same category as using chick pea flour etc, and may be synned. As I had so few I'm not going to worry about them, but would syn them if I had a whole packet.

Other drinks: water, diet ginger beer and diet cherry coke, three earl grey teas, diet coke

Syns for the day:17, 61 remaining for week
HEA: Milk in teas and coffee
HEB: GF bread roll

Two lovely walks at dusk last night and tonight. The air was so still and the sea had that lovely sky-blue-pink glow. Beautiful

Was going to catch up on diaries, but just fell asleep in bed with computer on my lap and glass of cherry diet coke in hand. Woke up just in time to stop computer sliding onto floor and cat getting washed in cherry coke! Think I should go to sleep, so will try and catch up another day! :nightf:

Last edited:
Gah! So annoying with the scales. That really doesn't make sense at all. But as you have said - it often seems that weight loss doesn't. I have also given up on trying to work it out a lot of the time, just carrying on doing the things I think I am meant to hope for the best.

Sounds like you've still had a lovely end to the holidays. Are you back next week? Very nice of the lady in the café giving you the cakes to take home :)

Well caught love! ;)

That shop lady sounds an absolute sweetheart :) Bless her!

Weight loss sucks, it really does! I've been very active for every day this last week - including moving concrete slabs around - and still STS'd. It doesn't make sense - but then that's life and dieting... it'll never work exactly as you want - otherwise like you say, we wouldn't be here.

Onwards and downwards xx

Gah! So annoying with the scales. That really doesn't make sense at all. But as you have said - it often seems that weight loss doesn't. I have also given up on trying to work it out a lot of the time, just carrying on doing the things I think I am meant to hope for the best.

Sounds like you've still had a lovely end to the holidays. Are you back next week? Very nice of the lady in the café giving you the cakes to take home :)

Well caught love! ;)

That shop lady sounds an absolute sweetheart :) Bless her!

Weight loss sucks, it really does! I've been very active for every day this last week - including moving concrete slabs around - and still STS'd. It doesn't make sense - but then that's life and dieting... it'll never work exactly as you want - otherwise like you say, we wouldn't be here.

Onwards and downwards xx

Yep, I have decided that if I wait for it to make sense I will have a very long wait!

I keep forgetting to eat the cakes! They are in the fridge, so will probably share them with OH later if they are still OK. Last day of the holiday today, so once I (eventually) get off the computer will be washing clothes and getting some stuff sorted for tomorrow. Tomorrow is an INSET/training day though, no kids back until Thursday, and I quite enjoy those as they are a chance to catch up with colleagues without the normal school day interruptions.

I didn't write everything down for Sunday or yesterday, but from memory, food is as follows:

Sunday August 31st

Breakfast: GF toasted muffin/roll type thing with two poached eggs, a slice of ham, spinach and rocket - a sort of Eggs Benedict

Lunch (out at a sea front café) Roast beef with one yorkie, boiled potatoes, veg and gravy

Loooong walk along the seafront and back, including a 10 minute break to listen to the brass band in the bandstand, and a GF cake slice with a pot of earl grey tea

Later, watching the sunset from the van, a packet of wotsits, an apple, a tangerine and two pieces of beef jerky

Other drinks: earl grey tea with lunch, diet cherry cola, diet cream soda, one milky coffee when we got home.

Monday September 1st

No breakfast as slept in late, then OH got in at lunchtime from work and we had to go out o drop car off at garage for service etc, so we decided to have one last holiday afternoon!

Lunch (at a Station Bistro) three all pork sausages, mustard mash and crispy leeks, one coffee with cream. This was delicious and the cakes looked just as good, but decided to pass on those!

Then we went for a drive around the coast, looking for nooks and crannies where we can picnic in the future. Found several for future reference, but settled on a North Norfolk Harbour for a cup of tea, a jelly and pannacotta dessert from Tesco, half a small packet of prawn cocktail crisps and three plums.

I haven't listed or counted syns for these two days as I decided to enjoy my last two days without going too mad and have today signed up for SW online, so will be starting my week from today. I am not under any illusion that paying the money will 'make' me stick to it, but I like the fact that I can find syns for more things on the calculator, and have downloaded the latest food lists etc. I also feel like I am doing things properly once I can get on the website and read up on articles, healthy extra info and so on. So, here goes... we shall see.

Your last few days off sounds bliss!! Makes me want to head to the beach, mind not sure if my skip if the car will give the same feeling as relaxing in a camper x
Good luck with getting online, I think we beat ourselves up way to hard about how we eat . Give ourselves strict timescales, feel disappointed with small loses, never celebrate the stay the sames. Because in theory they are all positives . We are not putting more weight on , and we are slowly becoming more healthy x

Your last few days off sounds bliss!! Makes me want to head to the beach, mind not sure if my skip if the car will give the same feeling as relaxing in a camper x
Good luck with getting online, I think we beat ourselves up way to hard about how we eat . Give ourselves strict timescales, feel disappointed with small loses, never celebrate the stay the sames. Because in theory they are all positives . We are not putting more weight on , and we are slowly becoming more healthy x

Hi Bea. You're absolutely right, it is too easy to concentrate on the negatives. Sometimes those dastardly scales are the enemy!

Glad you had some good last few days :) Are you looking forward to tomorrow? xx

Thanks Princess. Yes I am looking forward to the new term - all those new year 7s - still enthusiastic and trying to make a good impression! It's a bit like a new job every year. Today was a very busy and dusty day though, as we have just had new windows installed in a lot of classrooms and had to put our rooms back together ready for tomorrow, as well as the usual preparation for the new pupils.

Food for Tuesday 2nd September

Breakfast: Greek yogurt with blueberries and sprinkling of demerara sugar

Lunch: Veg omelette with onion, smoked garlic, red pepper, mushrooms, tomatoes and herbs and an ounce of cheddar, with half a tin of baked beans, an apple

Dinner: Steak with jacket potato, teaspoon of butter, peas, mushrooms and tomatoes

Snack: half a gluten free cupcake

Drinks: water with lemon juice, diet coke and diet cherry cola, one coffee with cream

Syns for the day: 15
HEB: Olive oil for cooking

Crikey - so you're still extra busy before they even get there! :)

I still remember my first day of year 7 - almost 20 years ago (!)

Food for Wednesday September 3rd

Breakfast: as yesterday - yogurt, blueberries and demerara sugar

Lunch: GF bread roll with ham and peppered beef, piccalilli, cherry tomatoes, lettuce, celery and red pepper, two plums and a tangerine

Dinner: Cottage pie with two small roasties, roast parsnips and carrots, with spray olive oil (synned), green sprouting broccolI, broad beans, horseradish sauce, fresh melon, mango and blueberries

Snack: GF chocolate brownie

Drinks: several earl grey teas and two coffees with milk, water with lemon juice, diet cherry cola

Syns for the day: 15
HEA: milk in teas and coffee
HEB: GF roll

Crikey - so you're still extra busy before they even get there! :)

I still remember my first day of year 7 - almost 20 years ago (!)

Never a dull moment - until I worked in a school I never realised how much went on behind the scenes! I work mainly with special needs kids, so for some of them the change to high school can be especially daunting. I love it though.

27! You're making me feel old! Mind you, working with teenagers keeps you young at heart! (Also keeps you up to date with the latest slang, although sometimes I think I'd rather not know. Lol)

Mixed day today - food was OK, school was fine, with some typical school moments! However I am in a real slumpy grump about my weight. I am heartily fed up with my exterior not matching how I feel inside. Reading that back it sounds very melodramatic, but it is exactly how I feel. No alternative but to carry on, and hope for a reasonable result next Tuesday, to help spur me on a bit.

Food for Thursday 4th September

Breakfast: Greek yogurt with demerara sugar

Lunch: GF roll with tuna, chilli and l/f salad cream, cherry tomatoes, mango and melon pieces, a plum

Snack: Two thirds of a small packet of wotsits

Dinner: Veg and moussaka style bake with mince, onions, chestnut mushrooms, red and yellow peppers, tomatoes, garlic, marmite and an oxo cube, sliced baked potato and oven roast aubergines, topped with grated parmesan and cheddar, with beetroot and balsamic vinegar, an apple, mango pieces

Drinks: water, one coffee with cream, diet cherry cola, one earl grey tea

Syns: 15.5
HEB: GF roll

Not going to worry about the half a syn over (!) - the mood I was in I did well not to eat the entire house, including the full multi pack of wotsits!

Not going to worry about the half a syn over (!) - the mood I was in I did well not to eat the entire house, including the full multi pack of wotsits!
Had a bit of a laugh about that one MW... wonder how many have been there and done that too!
I have days..(not often tbh) when I feel soo slim but then catch sight of myself in a window or the like and am brought down to earth with a big bump.. :sigh:

I may well have said before that since one of my D's has been a teacher I didn't realise what went on behind the scenes even tho' she does teach the very young ones it's still a struggle to keep up with the curriculum and all it entails.

As for the latest slang... words fail me! I'm such a stickler for the proper English that it really gets on my nerves to hear or read it... but then I admit I am one of those olde worlde fuddy duddys.. :D

"Slumpy grump" needs to come into general usage. Great description. And unfortunately pretty much how I feel about my weight at the moment too. Sounds like you did really well not to let it affect your choices though. Things will change and the numbers will go down. I think we both have to just keep believing that.

I think we all hit those moments. I felt like giving up on the diet thing fri/sat because I was so tired that I didn't WANT to think about what I was eating and plan it out and was so grumpy that I'd had a large (because of water and inflammation) fake-gain despite doing LOTS of moving and working this last week so it felt all counter productive.

I assume given how shattered you must feel from returning to work and all the extra stresses that you will be feeling the same but as you settle back in and get moving and grooving again it WILL get better. It always does! You WILL feel better for being able to move easier and with less strain on your bones.

Good luck hun!

Back