Moonwatcher's JUDDD diary

Nope it's been really quiet on here, I think it's cos 5:2 has it's own section now so we've got less on here

Ah right, yep that makes sense. I''ve been lurking in that section occasionally myself!

Hope your IBS has properly settled now.

Food is sounding gorgeous. Love the sound of those sausages. Mmmmmmm.

Scary stuff with OH's accident. Really glad he wasn't hurt but still scary as hell when these things happen. And much more so when it seems that they might have been avoided if the council were dealing with the roads properly.

Hope your IBS has properly settled now.

Food is sounding gorgeous. Love the sound of those sausages. Mmmmmmm.

Scary stuff with OH's accident. Really glad he wasn't hurt but still scary as hell when these things happen. And much more so when it seems that they might have been avoided if the council were dealing with the roads properly.

Hi Atomic. Welcome back from the smoke, hope you enjoyed your weekend.

There have been loads of people complaining about main roads around here not being gritted. OH has a few aches and pains but is otherwise OK.

Quick update on today and yesterday.

DD Monday 18th March.

537 cals

Breakfast - small glass almond milk

Lunch - tin Heinz veg soup

Dinner - egg and baked beans on one piece toast

Milk in a cup of tea.

Food for Tuesday 19th March

Too much! Cals about 2300

Toast and jam for breakfast, small piece of minced beef pie,spicy potato cubes and baked beans, followed by a fresh fruit salad. This evening I had scampi chips and mushy peas, one coffee with cream and a dark choc kitkat.

Tomorrow is a DD. If that comes in at 500 cals it will make my daily cals for the week about 1600, so may get a STS at Thursday's weigh in. :cool:

Food from yesterday sounds very very tasty indeed. I suspect it was worth the calories.

Our bodies work in fairly peculiar ways (some of us more than others!) so you may well get a loss at weigh in despite being over your intended calories for the week. There are hundreds of times when people have eaten the right number of calories to lose and don't so I reckon it works the other way too.

Glad OH only has a few aches to deal with. Car accidents are horrible. Someone little git who was racing his step dad (I kid you not) wrote off my car a few years ago. I was stationary and he came round the corner, breaked but was going so fast that he did a full 360 spin into the back of me. I was practically crippled by whiplash for weeks. Hope the council your way pull their finger out before someone gets more seriously hurt. The weather is very confusing and not at all welcome. We had 2 hours of pretty heavy snow this morning which wasn't forecast and given its getting towards the end of March very very unwelcome.

Hmmm, 'if only' Atomic! Scales say one and a half pounds up this morning. Not a good week all round for me. Work been very tough. It is the nature of the job that you get quite a few difficult situations/pupils to deal with. In theory and in title I'm a Learning Support Assistant, but in practice I am also/more often a counsellor/peacemaker/multi-tasking, eyes in the back of my head, pencil lending, glue dodging, teenage angst empathising firm but fair authority figure who needs also to be able to calculate the area of a circle/interpret Shakespeare/solder circuit boards/design a spreadsheet/write balanced equations, explain everything in a way that makes sense to someone on the Autistic spectrum or describe the Norman Conquest in words of one syllable at the same time. This week it just so happens that every day there have been tears in the classroom at least once (not me... pupils!). That is pretty unusual, but there have been none of the feel-good moments which normally come along to make up for the stressful ones! I am absolutely drained and still have a day to go to the weekend. I could have done with a loss or a STS! Probably not helped by the OH tonight announcing that weight loss is just 'eat less, move more.' I may well kill him. I have so far settled for making him eat fish not once but twice today, which for him comes pretty close! Aaaaaarrrgggghhh!

Oh dear, sorry the scales didn't cooperate :( And that you've had a pretty stressful week.

Hopefully you can have a nice relaxing weekend to recooperate. Have you got anything nice planned? Lots of fish hopefully! That will teach OH. Men seem to get away with an entirely different biological makeup when it comes to weight loss. My OH complained after christmas that he had put on 7lbs and his trousers weren't fitting as well so decided to eat only one item of chocolate a day and bought bigger weights (only a little bigger and still smaller than I use at the gym! And he only does about 5 minutes a day with them). This produced 7lb weight loss, gave him a six pack and produced bulging arm muscles within a week. That is very very very unfair!

Funnily enough we did have fish last night too... rainbow trout with lemon, herbs and horseradish, green beans and a tiny dollop of mash. (DD) Think he has probably suffered enough! ;)

Well I managed to resist the temptation of a complete blow out on Thursday for my UD. I was a bit undecided what to do about Friday, as I had previously decided to make Fridays an inbetween day but after the gain I felt I ought to keep it as a proper DD (managed 561 cals so OK as a DD I suppose) I'm not sure what to do to be honest. My gut feeling is to stick with JUDDD - it has completely transformed my 'relationship' with food as I've said before. I'm not sure I could go back to a more conventional counting type of eating now, so I suppose I will just keep plodding along. I gained another pound after the UD on Thursday, but I would expect a gain then, and it was gone again this morning, so back to the same as I was on Thursday am. I toyed with having another DD this weekend, but that felt too much like slipping back into the old ways of behaviour - of allowing the scales to rule my life.

I keep reminding myself that 2lbs a month is nearly 2st in a year - not sure that is the best way to attempt to cheer myself up though as I still have nearly 6st to go to goal! :sigh:

Friday was a better day at work than the rest of the week. 'My' Year 7 who I spend a lot of time with was on good impish form and made us both giggle a lot, so that sort of helped. I was still really down about the gain, but at least work was better!

Went out with OH this morning to get a few bits of shopping and had a pub lunch of mexican pulled pork in a bun with chilli cheese, coleslaw and wedges, followed by a delicious lemon dessert of lemon sponge in limoncello, lemon mousse, gooey meringue, cream, crystallised lemon zest and white chocolate curls, plus a spiced rum with ginger beer to drink. Not too much else to eat tonight - a few peanuts and may have a bit of cheese on crispbread with pickled onions later if I get hungry. Tomorrow will be home made beef stew and dumplings. As you can see I decided to go for two UDs this weekend after all. :cool:

Rambling on a bit - I have been thinking today about the last year and a half - which is about the timescale I have been sticking with the weight loss efforts instead of giving up completely, as in the past. The times I have been happiest have been when I have been cooking more - whether it was a week with a loss or not. I have let my cooking slip since changing my job in October. I think I have allowed myself to be convinced that I don't have enough time, when actually that isn't true. I have spent a lot of time looking at cookery books and recipes, but not much time actually cooking them! So tomorrow I will make two or three soups, for DDs in the week, and plan some delicious evening DD meals, as well as Tuesday and Thursday UDs. I have two freezers almost full and a pantry bursting to the seams! I had planned to do an inventory of them all during half term, but I went clothes shopping instead!

So I suppose I'll stick with JUDDD and keep hoping.

I think that is one of the biggest benefits of juddd the opportunity to build a better relationship with food.

Have you tried any of the hairy dieters recipes I have their book and love it, it is the book I have used most ever and I have loads of cookery books.

I think that is one of the biggest benefits of juddd the opportunity to build a better relationship with food.

Have you tried any of the hairy dieters recipes I have their book and love it, it is the book I have used most ever and I have loads of cookery books.

Yes I keep telling myself that improving that relationship with food will set me up for a healthier future and old age, and that the weight loss will happen slowly and healthily, but then the devil on my other shoulder wants those pounds gone NOW! In the end though I will just keep going, as the alternative is to go backwards!

I do have their book - so far I have only made the chicken oven bake dish with chorizo and peppers - think it may have been called Spanish Chicken? It was absolutely delicious, so I do want to try some more of their recipes

Last edited:
It was the spanish chicken we had last night :) truly yum, but i find even their chilli and bolognese are richer tasting than my basic sw recipes, using things like chorizo/ red wine add so much flavour but relatively few calories. I also made the masala chicken which was tasty but a lot of effort. May try it in with chicken thighs instead of skinning a whole chicken

Glad work improved at the end of last week and you were able to come to some kind of reconcilation with the gain on Thursday.

You've had good results on JUDD, but gains happen on all plans so I think it is the right thing to stick with it and not add in extra down days or anything else. As you say changing your relationship for food in the long term is probably going to do you the most good overall and the losses will come. Much better to get to target over a couple of years than get to target within 6 months but put it back on because your fundamental relationship with food hasn't changed enough.

I very much relate to the point about being happiest when cooking most. I think that's when I feel most "in control" of things diet wise and life wise. Its as if when I don't cook as much I am sending myself the message that there is too much going on in my life and I can't cope with it. I also find that bought food is almost always less satisfying than stuff I make myself. I do wonder if I have odd tastebuds because so much pre-prepared food tastes so bad!

Your lunch out yesterday sounds utterly amazing. Mmmmmmmm. Given its day 2 of my new low carb plan the roll and wedges sound especially good ;)

I've got the hairy dieters book as well but haven't tried that many recipes, but what I have has been really tasty. The butter chicken is lovely and the idea of blitzing down the onions in the sauce to make it thick and creamy is excellent. I have nicked that idea for many things now.

It was the spanish chicken we had last night :) truly yum, but i find even their chilli and bolognese are richer tasting than my basic sw recipes, using things like chorizo/ red wine add so much flavour but relatively few calories. I also made the masala chicken which was tasty but a lot of effort. May try it in with chicken thighs instead of skinning a whole chicken
I have just been looking at that - good instructions on preparing the chicken, but I think I would go for chicken thighs too!

Definitely stick with JUDDD, I know it's tough and I'm no poster girl for it myself at the moment, but slow and steady wins the race and like you say, your relationship with food it getting healthier every day. I think you've done fabulously well with everything else thats going on in your life, it's too easy to hit that "sod it" button sometimes when we're stressed and you've not given into that, so big well done xxx

Phew! Just finished a bowl of beef stew and dumplings! Stuffed and couldn't eat anything else if I wanted to! Two crumpets with butter and jam for a late breakfast, a hot cross bun with butter as a snack, half a mini mars bar with a coffee and cream, half a bottle of pear cider and the stew today for my UP day. Oh yes, and a handful of sour worms!

I'm having the rest of the stew gravy with some extra veg as soup tomorrow for my DD lunch, and have made a veggie curry for the evening.

Tuesday UP lunch will probably be a Warburton's wrap with salt beef, salad and horse radish. The evening will be 2 pork sausages with an onion and camembert sauce, peas and sweet potato wedges

Wednesday's DD lunch will be home made lentil and tomato soup with herbs and lemon. Just got to sort out something for the evening, and that is the week planned out up to weigh day.

Food for today's DD...

No breakfast

Lunch - leftover stew with added veggies - blitzed into a soup (140 cals)

Dinner - veggie curry and 5 oz tikka masala potato chunks (312 cals)

Total so far 452 cals. May have an options wicked white choc drink for 44 cals taking my total to 496

Have been soooo cold today! Went shopping for some jumpers after work tonight and all the shops have their summer stock in. Ended up getting 2 at Tesco Express of all places!

Have my mojo back today after the post gain sulk!

Glad to hear the mojo is back :)

Food sounds really nice. I especially llike the sound of the onion and camberbet sauce - how is that made? It sounds very low carb friendly!

I always found myself colder on fast days but I think it could just be the weather at the moment :( I am SO fed up of being cold at the moment it is driving me a bit daft. Of an evening I end up sitting on the sofa with a huge blanket wrapped around me and hot water bottle to try and feel warm enough. Of course I could put the fire on but I would need to have it on all evening and I am far too tight for that.

Glad to hear the mojo is back :)

Food sounds really nice. I especially llike the sound of the onion and camberbet sauce - how is that made? It sounds very low carb friendly!

I always found myself colder on fast days but I think it could just be the weather at the moment :( I am SO fed up of being cold at the moment it is driving me a bit daft. Of an evening I end up sitting on the sofa with a huge blanket wrapped around me and hot water bottle to try and feel warm enough. Of course I could put the fire on but I would need to have it on all evening and I am far too tight for that.

For the sauce I fried some onions in a little butter and olive oil with a grate of nutmeg, (could use Frylight to fry instead, but I think the butter adds to the flavour!), then stirred in a little milk and the camembert chopped up, until it melted. That was it - no proper amounts or weights I'm afraid as I just made it up as I went along. Very, very tasty!
I am wrapped in a blanket as I type. Same as you I am so fed up with it now. The heating in the drama classrooms was out of order today and it was freezing as the mobile heater they put in just didn't hack it. The kids were doing pieces on the Aborigine creation myths, which somehow made the cold seem worse.

Back