Moonwatcher's Primal/Calorie Counting Adventure!

Friday 24th January

Breakfast - Tesco finest strawberry yogurt, strawberry actimel. (325 cals)

Lunch - Tesco finest houmous with Moroccan spices and sunflower seeds, four gf crispbread, cherry toms, half an avocado with a teaspoon of mayo and sprinkling of lemon juice, one satsums (531 cals)

Dinner - 5 Tesco g fish fingers with mash and peas and HP BBQ sauce (640)

Drinks - water, milk in earl grey teas, one rum floater coffee (200 cals)

Total for the day 1696/1750

WI this morning and I have lost nearly half a pound - 0.4 to be precise. Happy with that, especially on the calories I am eating. Keeping my fingers crossed that overall I continue to see a small regular loss. Hoping to get back into the 15s soon.

Wooo! Good news on the loss. Will be great if things continue like that. I think both of us would just settle for anything consistent by now, wouldn't be??

Food sound lovely. Especially the houmous lunch and pasta the other night - it might have subconsciously influenced the pasta dish I made last night. Like the sound of the beetroot with wasabi dressing. What do you mix the wasabi with for the dressing? I have been rather obsessed with wasabi mixed into my homemade may at the moment. Mmmmmmmm.

Wooo! Good news on the loss. Will be great if things continue like that. I think both of us would just settle for anything consistent by now, wouldn't be??

Food sound lovely. Especially the houmous lunch and pasta the other night - it might have subconsciously influenced the pasta dish I made last night. Like the sound of the beetroot with wasabi dressing. What do you mix the wasabi with for the dressing? I have been rather obsessed with wasabi mixed into my homemade may at the moment. Mmmmmmmm.

Morning MW, well done on the loss : )

Well done! Slow & steady is the way to go!

Thanks. I have kept off the scales all week and because I felt so bloated with the IBS etc., I was convinced I had gained this week, so it was a pleasant surprise. After last year's metabolism reset it 'should' be a reasonably regular slow and steady loss, but it still felt like a bit of a gamble - deliberately eating more after years of lower calories!

Atomic - probably calling it a dressing was over-stating it a bit! It was Tiger Tiger's wasabi sauce - in similar shaped bottles to Tabasco sauce. It look great drizzled on the beetroot - bright green on the dark purple!

Saturday 25th January

Breakfast - gf crunchy nut cornflakes and gf toasted buckwheat muesli (230 cals)

Lunch - three gf crispbread. two with cream cheese, green olives and pickled red jalapenos, one with Moroccan houmous, cherry tomatoes (245 cals)

Dinner - tamarind, lime and garlic veg stir fry with papaya, Thai style beef and coconut meatballs and ginger chilli rice (691 cals) Yum yum yum!

Drinks - medium Costa latte mid morning (202 cals), milk in tea (30 cals), Bacardi (not quite a double - more a single and a half!) and diet coke (103 cals)

Snacks - not had them yet, but planning half a dark bounty bar
(140 cals) and a packet of Mrs Crimble's oven baked cheese and onion potato bites (90 cals)

These will make my total for the day 1731/1750.

Time for a moan. Why do the manufacturers of larger smart trousers for women think we all want to wear shapeless polyester trousers? All I want is a few pairs of basic work trousers that are not pure sweaty polyester!

Sunday 26th January

Brunch - scrambled eggs topped with pickled jalapenos, bacon, toast, tomatoes, mushrooms, BBQ HP sauce (613 cals)

Dinner - slow cooked red wine beef casserole with potatoes, carrots and swede, two small gf dumplings (639 cals)

Snacks - one finger of twirl, half an ounce of Haribo tangfastic, packet of Mrs Crimble's baked cheese and onion potato bites (271 cals)

Drinks - water, milk in rose earl grey teas, rum and diet ginger beer, rum 'floater' cream coffee (236 cals)

Total 1759/1750

Monday 27th January

Breakfast - activia prune yogurt and a strawberry actimel (193 cals)

Mid morning - pack of Bear Naked dried mango and pineapple (85 cals)

Lunch - beef and horseradish gf sandwich, pack of Mrs Crimble's baked cheese and onion potato bites, three cherry tomatoes, an apple (452 cals)

At home after school - Costa gf chocolate brownie (314 cals)

Dinner - was planning on having risotto but too tired to cook even that! Bunged a couple of potatoes in the oven and we had jacket spud with baked beans and grated cheddar, about to follow it with half a fresh mango and an activia peach yogurt (570 cals)

Drinks - water, milk in earl grey and rose earl grey teas, plus a coffee, small sherry (132 cals)

Total 1746/1750

Am completely fed up with feeling so tired - had to have a nap about 5.00pm and then had to drag myself up to put on a load of washing and think about something to eat. I have upped the live yogurt etc., as I am still suffering with my stomach after the antibiotics. I seem to have been constantly tired since about October - although generally with cause. It seems as soon as I start to feel a bit better something else comes along and I am back to square one.

Last edited:
Definitely a justified moan about the tiredness. Its pants to feel lacking in energy but sounds like you have managed it foodwise very well.

The stirfry and beef meatballs from the other day sound utterly divine. Is that your creation or from a recipe? I might need more information to copy that one at some point.

Hi MW, well done on sticking to your diet the last few days : )

Definitely a justified moan about the tiredness. Its pants to feel lacking in energy but sounds like you have managed it foodwise very well.

The stirfry and beef meatballs from the other day sound utterly divine. Is that your creation or from a recipe? I might need more information to copy that one at some point.

Thanks both. Feeling a little bit better today, so perhaps the live yogurts etc. are helping. Still finding the mornings tough - although I usually love my job I am finding I just don't want to get up in the mornings - I sort of dread the day ahead. Hoping that perhaps that will improve after the cremation on Friday.

Atomic - the stir fry and meatballs dish was 'sort' of based on a recipe in the January BBC Good Food mag - 'Seared beef and papaya salad with tamarind soy dressing.' I'll post the link in a bit. I used the dressing from the recipe (made my own tamarind paste from some tamarind pods I had bought a while ago) and freewheeled the meatballs - they were mince with onion, an egg, salt and pepper and desicated coconut. The rice had salt and pepper, garlic and loads of fresh ginger in, as did the stir fried veg. Then once it was all cooked the tamarind sauce went into the veg, fresh basil stirred in too, and the chopped papaya over the top, plus the meatballs and rice. It was amazingly tasty.

Today, Tuesday 28th January

Breakfast - prune activia yogurt and strawberry actimel (193 cals)

Lunch - four gluten free crispbread with cream cheese, green stuffed olives and pickled red jalapenos, pack of Mrs Crimble's oven baked cheese and onion potato bites, one ounce tangfastic, one apple (517 cals)

Dinner - onion and white wine risotto with butternut squash, tomatoes and mushrooms - oven roasted with basil oil and balsamic vinegar, topped with smoked feta and half a small avocado, one gluten free ciabatta made into garlic bread with garlic and two teaspoons butter, followed by a chopped pear with Onken set yogurt and a mini meringue nest (876 cals)

Snack - half ounce of tangfastic (35 cals)

Drinks - milk in earl grey teas, water, one coffee and cream (133 cals)

Total 1754/1750

Risotto sounds lovely. Its actually the only grain-type thing that I am missing a bit on my paleo adventure. The tangfastic also sound pretty good...

How is the cough/ cold/ stomach doing?

Risotto sounds lovely. Its actually the only grain-type thing that I am missing a bit on my paleo adventure. The tangfastic also sound pretty good...

How is the cough/ cold/ stomach doing?

Feeling a lot better thanks Atomic. Really, really crappy last two days at work though - yesterday with a couple of colleagues at loggerheads with each other and today 'just' the kids getting it very very wrong. Ir's my birthday today and I really couldn't feel less birthday-ish if I tried. In one lesson today really wanted to leap up and shout 'Behave yourself you little *****! It's my birthday and on Friday....' and a lot more. Instead I took a deep breath and said 'X, please put the ruler back where it belongs and stop kicking the table.' Am now lounging on the sofa in my PJs quaffing a red wine my sister in law has bought me while OH cooks the steak, peas and wedges. Have already had 6 Belgian chocolates - would probably have polished off a lot more but am not that keen on them. Expecting to be well over on calories today though!

Back