Moonwatcher's Primal/Calorie Counting Adventure!

Welcome to the primal adventure :) I have read some good success stories on marks daily apple with regards to diabetics.

Morning MW!

You're situated geographically somewhere between Em and me. I love Norfolk -- such a beautiful area.

You're right to avoid the statins -- one of the worse side effects is that they increase a person's risk of developing diabetes? So, I think it's very strange that they didn't suggest a change of diet and an increase in exercise.

I know you're looking at Primal -- and it's been awhile nice I've read up on it -- but I would recommend that your OH have oatmeal (porridge) sweetened only with a couple of cut strawberries and some blueberries for breakfast (rather than meat). And, that you add a probiotic organic yogurt to his diet as well.Also, adding some nuts for protein boost should help the cholesterol. Fiber is very important in combating diabetes and cholesterol, plus for colon health.

I'll be interested to read your progress.

I hope you have a lovely day.

Welcome to the primal adventure :) I have read some good success stories on marks daily apple with regards to diabetics.

Hi and thanks for dropping in. I hope it will be good for him, for both of us actually. He is keen, which is half the battle!

Morning MW!

HIYou're situated geographically somewhere between Em and me. I love Norfolk -- such a beautiful area.

You're right to avoid the statins -- one of the worse side effects is that they increase a person's risk of developing diabetes? So, I think it's very strange that they didn't suggest a change of diet and an increase in exercise.

I know you're looking at Primal -- and it's been awhile nice I've read up on it -- but I would recommend that your OH have oatmeal (porridge) sweetened only with a couple of cut strawberries and some blueberries for breakfast (rather than meat). And, that you add a probiotic organic yogurt to his diet as well.Also, adding some nuts for protein boost should help the cholesterol. Fiber is very important in combating diabetes and cholesterol, plus for colon health.

I'll be interested to read your progress.

I hope you have a lovely day.

Morning Mel,

I am about 12 miles North of Norwich -perfectly placed for visits to the fantastic North Norfolk coast, although I think it's a bit grey out there today!

The first nurse did suggest diet and exercise in addition to the statins, but we are sticking to the diet and exercise. The second nurse he saw, who I know personally as I used to work at the surgery, was much more open to other ideas

I already have the yogurt in place and the nuts. Have just been reading about the oats question on Mark's Daily Apple. They spike OH's blood sugar really high anyway, and I can't eat them (linked in to my gluten problems) so they are off the menu. Today s brunch/breakfast isn't a typical one though - more of a weekend special. We are still deciding on breakfasts for next week, but it looks like a mix of yogurt with nuts, omelette/frittata/egg custard type things at the moment. Lunches next week will be mainly home made soups, which I am going to batch cook once I get back from a quick visit to Tescos.

We definitely do seem to be on the same diet wavelength. Especially given I have beef stew planned for today as well! Although we are having ox cheeks.

One of the most "freeing" things about paleo/primal (especially on whole30) is the idea of replacing breakfast, lunch and dinner with meal1, meal2 and meal3. This means that anything can work for breakfast. I have tended to mostly keep to some variation of eggs and avocado and some veg of some description but leftovers for breakfast is something I have always been a big fan of :)

How did you change the name of your diary and get it moved? Mine probably needs renaming and moving but I've got no idea how!

Hi and thanks for dropping in. I hope it will be good for him, for both of us actually. He is keen, which is half the battle!

Morning Mel,

I am about 12 miles North of Norwich -perfectly placed for visits to the fantastic North Norfolk coast, although I think it's a bit grey out there today!

The first nurse did suggest diet and exercise in addition to the statins, but we are sticking to the diet and exercise. The second nurse he saw, who I know personally as I used to work at the surgery, was much more open to other ideas

I already have the yogurt in place and the nuts. Have just been reading about the oats question on Mark's Daily Apple. They spike OH's blood sugar really high anyway, and I can't eat them (linked in to my gluten problems) so they are off the menu. Today s brunch/breakfast isn't a typical one though - more of a weekend special. We are still deciding on breakfasts for next week, but it looks like a mix of yogurt with nuts, omelette/frittata/egg custard type things at the moment. Lunches next week will be mainly home made soups, which I am going to batch cook once I get back from a quick visit to Tescos.

Good that you've found what suits OH best as it can vary so much from one person to another. I have porridge most mornings made with 30g of oats and water and I add 1/2 tablespoon of honey ..(the best type as it is good for you) which I find suits me well.
At least the weight is going down even if it is just slowly... join the club.. :D

We definitely do seem to be on the same diet wavelength. Especially given I have beef stew planned for today as well! Although we are having ox cheeks.

One of the most "freeing" things about paleo/primal (especially on whole30) is the idea of replacing breakfast, lunch and dinner with meal1, meal2 and meal3. This means that anything can work for breakfast. I have tended to mostly keep to some variation of eggs and avocado and some veg of some description but leftovers for breakfast is something I have always been a big fan of :)

How did you change the name of your diary and get it moved? Mine probably needs renaming and moving but I've got no idea how!

Just thought I'd add this in case you are still waiting to change the name of your diary.. go to the first posting of your diary and then to the "go Advanced" and your diary heading will be there.

Afternoon! Sounds like a good plan you've sorted. I'm glad the second nurse was more supportive.

I rather like the idea of a 1,2, 3 meal plan, but although I like occasional cooked breakfasts with eggs at the weekend I'm not mad keen on eggs or vegetables first thing too often during the week. Sometimes fancy dippy eggs, but not the same without bread, and I have decided not to make any 'legal' bread for the first week at least. I have just made some 'popovers' - one savoury batch with a little bacon, onion and green pepper, and one 'sweet' with vanilla essence, nutmeg and a little coconut. They are for quick breakfasts or for OH to take one for mid morning emergencies. Have some avocados but not quite ripe yet. I'm thinking mix and match with yogurt and nuts sometimes too. Although next week I will also be using up a buckwheat muesli I have in the pantry. It's one of the things I have refused to bin - far too expensive, and although not strictly primal, it's staying until finished!

I have just replied in your thread about changing your diary name, so won't type it all again.

Good that you've found what suits OH best as it can vary so much from one person to another. I have porridge most mornings made with 30g of oats and water and I add 1/2 tablespoon of honey ..(the best type as it is good for you) which I find suits me well.
At least the weight is going down even if it is just slowly... join the club.. :D

We both like porridge, but it doesn't like us unfortunately! I tried the gluten free oats too, but no luck. I may try and re introduce them again at some stage, but it has to be when I can spare about two or three days inside without going anywhere too far from the bathroom, in case they affect me, if you get my meaning!!

Afternoon! Sounds like a good plan you've sorted. I'm glad the second nurse was more supportive.

Yes she even 'strictly off the record' mentioned that she knew of some fantastic results for diabetics from intermittent fasting, which of course he supports as an option in the PB book.

great read, I've only been doing paleo/primal for the last 2 week so am looking for tips :Tx

Hi Goldie and welcome. This is my first primal day as have just moved my diary from Cal counting section. Will update with my food for the day in a while. How are you finding it?

I like for breakfast bacon and cherry tomatoes, gluten free sausages and tomatoes or eggs and bacon .. Cooked in coconut oil/ butter or duck fat :)

I like for breakfast bacon and cherry tomatoes, gluten free sausages and tomatoes or eggs and bacon .. Cooked in coconut oil/ butter or duck fat :)

They are my kind iof breakfast for weekends, but can't face them most workdays. Sure I will eventually work out a variety of choices for weekdays.

Sunday 9th February - first Primal-ish day.

We had a slight change of plan this morning. Instead of a huge batch cooking session we decided on a quick visit to the coast for a walk. It was a last minute decision - brunch was delayed until we got back.

Morning snack before walk - 2 ounces mixed nuts (brazils, pecans, almonds and walnuts) 3 slices of Tesco German style smoked ham (406 cals)

'Brunch' once home again - late - around 2.30pm - 3 rashers of smoked bacon, tomatoes, turnip slices, scrambled eggs with fried onion and chopped red jalapenos, olive oil for frying and a teaspoon of butter on the turnips (513 cals)

Did manage some cooking in the afternoon - tomorrow's lunch of curried swede soup with yogurt, and the two batches of egg popover/custard/quiche thingies - one savoury and one sweet...

Snack - tested one of each! (125 cals)

Dinner - beef stew with carrots, onion, leek, swede and a little leftover turnip, (460 cals)

Evening snack - 3 prunes with one square of 85% dark chocolate (115 cals)

Drinks - water, one earl grey with splash of milk, coffee with cream (113 cals)

Totals for the day - calories 1732/1750, carbs - 87g

All seems as it should be, although once the walking/exercise becomes a more regular thing again I may have to look at re calculating and increasing my TDEE.

Hi hun, all good so far, I'm slowly getting to grips with things and am battling the confusion over whether I can eat GF bread or not lol. Also, a lot of the recipes are americanised so I have to work out cups, etc. All good though, although I'm struggling with ideas for breakfast as 'fry ups' are too much of a rush in the weekday mornings lol

Love reading your posts!, really helpful :)

Yep gluten free bread is definitely weird! I'm no Primal expert - two days on (LOL) but I doubt a shop bought gluten free bread would be Primal 'legal' as it will contain things like rice flour, maize (corn) starch and maybe buckwheat - gluten free doesn't mean grain free. On the other hand if an occasional piece stops you breaking free and going mad eating more stuff that you shouldn't, then you could argue the 80%/20% rule.

I'm the same with breakfasts - as I'm eating dairy I am planning on having yogurt some days. I love a fry up at weekends but not before work.

Monday 19th February

Breakfast - toasted buckwheat muesli with full fat milk (245 cals)

Mid morning - one ounce mixed nuts (brazils, almonds, walnuts, pecans) (198 cals)

Lunch - home made curried swede soup (175 cals)

At home after school - two of the sweet egg popovers with some greek yogurt (167 cals)

Dinner - tamarind, lime and ginger pork stir fry with onions, carrots, yellow and green peppers, roasted cauliflower with garlic and chilli flakes (625 cals)

Evening snack - 6 small prunes, one and a half squares of 85% dark chocolate (203 cals)

Drinks - milk in two earl grey teas and a coffee, water, one coffee with cream (133 cals)

Totals for the day - Cals 1746/1750, Carbs 129 - carbs higher than yesterday but 25 of them were for the muesli at breakfast.

Hi moonwatcher, just subscribing and i know you will enjoy primal. Even better will be great for you OH health:)

Morning!

I hope you have a good day. How was the homemade curried swede soup? I'd love the recipe.

Lose a week somewhere? Yesterday was Monday the 10th. ;)

Oops! That's what I get for typing on my 'phone without my glasses on! Or it could just be wishful thinking for the half term to get here a bit sooner!

Hi moonwatcher, just subscribing and i know you will enjoy primal. Even better will be great for you OH health:)

Hi Kat and welcome. OH is feeling better already - less tired and less thirsty etc.

Morning!

I hope you have a good day. How was the homemade curried swede soup? I'd love the recipe.

I have been making the soup for years - it's a very adaptable 'recipe' for different plans. I fry a chopped onion in olive oil (or spray oil), add about two heaped tablespoons of curry powder (sometimes a shop mix or sometimes make my own, depending in my mood!) chop up a large swede and add to the pan with water or stock to cover. Bring to boil and then simmer until the swede is cooked. I usually add some lemon juice at the end. Swedes vary a lot - some of them are really sweet, but If the soup tastes a little bitter I add some sweetener or some tomato puree. Yesterday I made it 'cream of curried swede' by stirring in a little greek yogurt.

Tuesday 11th February

Breakfast - greek yogurt with one ounce mixed nuts (323 cals)

Mid morning - one ounce mixed nuts (198 cals)

Lunch - beef salad (cooked beef, lettuce, tomatoes, beetroot, mixed olives, chopped pickled jalapenos, sprinkling of mixed seeds) with a sweet mustard and wasabi dressing (set yogurt mixed with grain mustard, english mustard, a little coconut 'sugar' and wasabi sauce) (266 cals)

Afternoon - two egg popovers with a little lemon juice and a spoon of yogurt (135 cals)

Dinner - lamb shank with chopped mint 'gravy', green beans and mash (used one third potato and two thirds celeriac) (668 cals)

Drinks - water, milk in one coffee, one earl grey tea and one vanilla chai tea, one coffee with cream (166 cals)

Totals for the day 1756/1750, Carbs 62

Morning!

Oops! That's what I get for typing on my 'phone without my glasses on! Or it could just be wishful thinking for the half term to get here a bit sooner!

Hi Kat and welcome. OH is feeling better already - less tired and less thirsty etc.

I have been making the soup for years - it's a very adaptable 'recipe' for different plans. I fry a chopped onion in olive oil (or spray oil), add about two heaped tablespoons of curry powder (sometimes a shop mix or sometimes make my own, depending in my mood!) chop up a large swede and add to the pan with water or stock to cover. Bring to boil and then simmer until the swede is cooked. I usually add some lemon juice at the end. Swedes vary a lot - some of them are really sweet, but If the soup tastes a little bitter I add some sweetener or some tomato puree. Yesterday I made it 'cream of curried swede' by stirring in a little greek yogurt.

Thanks. I bought a swede last night. I think I'll try making that in my soup maker. How long does it take for the swede to cook?

Tuesday 11th February

Breakfast - greek yogurt with one ounce mixed nuts (323 cals)

Mid morning - one ounce mixed nuts (198 cals)

Lunch - beef salad (cooked beef, lettuce, tomatoes, beetroot, mixed olives, chopped pickled jalapenos, sprinkling of mixed seeds) with a sweet mustard and wasabi dressing (set yogurt mixed with grain mustard, english mustard, a little coconut 'sugar' and wasabi sauce) (266 cals)

Afternoon - two egg popovers with a little lemon juice and a spoon of yogurt (135 cals)

Dinner - lamb shank with chopped mint 'gravy', green beans and mash (used one third potato and two thirds celeriac) (668 cals)

Drinks - water, milk in one coffee, one earl grey tea and one vanilla chai tea, one coffee with cream (166 cals)

Totals for the day 1756/1750, Carbs 62

Great menu. Can you add fresh fruit to your yogurt and nuts?

Back