Moonwatcher's Primal/Calorie Counting Adventure!

Hope you feel better soon! Here's to yummy soups and sweet potatoes ;) xxx

Just didn't fancy soup, although I toyed with sweet potato and coconut. The salad was very tasty and then I fell asleep on the sofa, so tonight's meal has only just gone in to cook. We're having red legged partridge which has been in the freezer since before Christmas, spicy apple sauce, green beans and chilli and garlic butternut squash wedges

The potato sounds lovely with some warm soup. I'm very cold today -- I think the wind blowing makes me feel colder.

It's only started getting windy here about half an hour ago - up until then we had the rain. I kept the curtains closed to pretend it wasn't there! I'm hot now - but gave in and took an Anadin extra which has helped my head a bit.

Hope you feel better soon! Here's to yummy soups and sweet potatoes ;) xxx

Thanks. Planning some sausages with sweet potato over the weekend or Monday. Sounds like real comfort food!

Sounds yummy!

It was OK but tbh I think I'd simply get chicken another time. Lots of faffing about to get the meat off of course. It looked good on the plate though!

Last edited:
Food for Friday 14th February

Breakfast - greek yogurt with half ounce of mixed nuts and sprinkling (10g) of toasted coconut (284 cals)

Lunch - mixed salad leaves with cherry toms, black olives, jalapenos, mozzarella, avocado and chorizo. Dressing was yogurt with lemon juice, salt and pepper and a teaspoon of cream (544 calls)

Dinner - roast partridge with spicy apple sauce, chilli and garlic butternut wedges and green beans. Only ate about half of it, so adjusted calories (295 cals)

Snacks - one ounce of Matterson's pork sausage, half ounce mixed nuts, one square of dark chocolate. A bit later for 'supper' planning to have two of the carrot, coconut and sultana cruffins with a little cream (512 cals)

Drinks - water, milk in vanilla chai and rose garden teas and for medicinal purposes only a small rum toddy with a teaspoon of honey and some lemon juice. (122 cals)

Totals will be calories: 1757/1750, carbs: 67

Last edited:
I read some where that if your feeling cold and the room is warm etc that it's possible you need to eat more calories.. Or a hot shower/ hot drinks to try warm up :)

I read some where that if your feeling cold and the room is warm etc that it's possible you need to eat more calories.. Or a hot shower/ hot drinks to try warm up :)

My mum always used to say ' Feed a cold, starve a fever.' Don't think it had any medical backing behind it though! I think I'll feel better when the cough comes out properly - at the moment my head and top of my chest feel tight and sore. Going to have my rum toddy in a while and then bed to try to sleep it off. I was saying to my OH earlier today that I have slept a lot better over the last three nights. Hoping it is the way of eating and not the concussion!

Last edited:
Ahh didn't realise you were feeling under the weather :( a hot toddy and plenty of Vick applied with a spatula to your back and front ! And feet :)

Watching the 11 o'clock News with my rum toddy. Don't have any Vick until tomorrow, but I have Tiger Balm, so will use some of that.

Still coughing but at least that horrible heavy head feeling not as bad today. We were going to wrap up and go for a walk along the coast today, but it is still very, very windy, and forecast for this afternoon is for the wind to drop, but to be replaced by heavy showers. The forecast for tomorrow looks much better so we have postponed walk until then. OH has nipped out for a few bits and pieces (including gluten free sausages I hope) and I am about to haul myself out of bed into the shower and then finish clearing the cat vomit stain from the rug. Thanks for that, Purdy!

Will WI after shower and report back a bit later.

Hope everyone is having a good morning and has not been treated too badly by this weather.

Mmmmm. Saturday sausages, sounds good :)

The weather is shocking today so sensible to postpone til tomorrow. There was something on the news this morning about a restaurant on the coast somewhere in Norfolk that was flooded by a tidal surge last night while all the diners were mid-way through their valentines dinner. I am wrapped up in a blanket on the sofa this afternoon which seems by far the best option.

Hope you feel better soon. Concussion really can knock you for six, so that combined with being ill sounds rotten :(

Mmmmm. Saturday sausages, sounds good :)

The weather is shocking today so sensible to postpone til tomorrow. There was something on the news this morning about a restaurant on the coast somewhere in Norfolk that was flooded by a tidal surge last night while all the diners were mid-way through their valentines dinner. I am wrapped up in a blanket on the sofa this afternoon which seems by far the best option.

Hope you feel better soon. Concussion really can knock you for six, so that combined with being ill sounds rotten :(

He got the sausages! Tonight will be sausages with primal bubble 'n' squeak. Fire is already lit, Miss Marple is on TV and I am under the throw on the sofa.

I do feel pretty rough some of the time - not too bad as long as I don't stand up for too long, then I start to feel dizzy and spaced out. The Doctor said I probably would have been better not going into work at all last week, but as HR had already moaned about how much time I have had off this year I was hoping to get through to half term. I really want to avoid another lot of anti biotics for the cough if I can.

Completely forgot to report WI results! The scales have been kind this week and I have lost 2.4lbs! Very happy with that. I am sure it is in a good part due to the change to the lower carb eating, so I am not expecting the same each week, but it was a nice boost to see it on the scales. It also means that over the last six weeks I have lost on average just over a pound a week, which I am pleased with, as after the reset I had resigned myself to a loss of about half a pound a week.

Great news on the loss, well done.

Is it half term next week? At least you should have some time to relax and get better.

Saturday 15th February.

Sitting on the sofa nearly all day made me really, really want to nibble. I did indulge in a few extras, but Primal legal/low carb (maybe excluding the medicinal rum toddy!) Calories were over by 280, but carbs were still only 87, so not too worried.

Breakfast - small greek yogurt with sprinkle of toasted coconut (155 cals)

Lunch - primal style pancakes with lemon juice and coconut sugar (514 cals)

Dinner - 3 gluten free sausages with bubble 'n'squeak made from celeriac, sweet potato, cabbage, onion and carrot (and a knob of butter) (753 cals)

Snacks - 2 x half ounces mixed nuts, one ounce cheddar, one ounce smoked pork sausage (412 cals)

Drinks - one coffee with cream, milk in two teas, rum toddy with lemon juice and honey (196 cals)

Totals for the day 2030 cals, 87 carbs

Sunday 16th February

Breakfast - greek yogurt with sprinkle of toasted coconut (186 cals)

Mid morning we drove out to Sheringham. Tesco first for a bit of shopping (although there is no such thing as a bit of shopping when my OH shops - I swear he has no understanding of the idea of a budget!)

After a quick in-car snack of three slices of German ham and four pieces of Green and Black's spiced chilli chocolate (149 cals) we set off for a stroll along the front and round the town. Stopped for a pot of earl grey tea en route (66 cals)

Once back home we had a change of plan from roast beef dinner and went for a fry up instead...

Lunch/Dinner combined - two eggs scrambled with chillies and fried onions, four rashers smoked back bacon, two gluten free sausages, tomatoes and roast turnip chunks (1029 cals, including olive oil for frying/roasting)

Evening snack - three pieces Green and Black's dark mint chocolate (57 cals)

Other drinks - water, two coffees and cream, planning a hot toddy later (261 cals)

Cals for the day are 1748/1750 and carbs are only 50 including the chocolate. Still feeling fuzzy headed etc every day - not sure if this is the cough/cold, the concussion or lower carbs! May have a handful of nuts later - it will put my calories up, but the lower carbs on this way of eating are supposed to give you an advantage there anyway and don't want to a) go as low as 50 carbs (am aiming for 50 - 100 ish) b) go to bed feeling ill.

Back