Motivation

Fruitybabe

Hi everyone :) Well I don't really know we're to start, I have been having such a bad time at the moment diet wise I just have no motivation or energy.
I went over to WW online at the beginning of oct and done well losing 11lbs quite quickly. Then for I don't know what reason I have not been able to stick to it since, not fully anyway. It is not a reflection on WW plan as it is great and works well but I have no motivation.
I know this is down to me but need some help... so I have decided to go back to SW class in the new year. It has to be my year this year I have to do it for so many reasons.
So I was wondering how do you keep going, how do you get motivation to carry on going and stick to plan?

Think of the reasons why you want to loose weight. What will you be able to do when you've lost weight you can't do now???

Focus on that and remember you CAN DO THIS!!!!

I have wobbles a couple of times a week and to get over it I think about what my life is like now and what it could be like next year if I stick to the plan.

For example, I went shopping for something to wear to our work Xmas party last weekend and because of my size, had to walk past all the gorgeous party dresses in New Look to the fat section and make do with what they had. Next year, even if I only get to a size 16 by then, I'll have so much more to choose from!

Firstly, don't leave it until the new year, join now. There are 4 more WI's until Christmas!!!
Secondly, and I say this a lot so sorry to those who have heard it before, but all diets start in the head.

Ask yourself why you are not sticking to WW and will it be different with SW? The plans are very different, but we can all not stick to it if we choose to do so.

As for motivation - well, I've being doing this plan for over 4 years and I've been in and out of target in that time, my motivation is that I never want to go back to the starting weight I was. I may have put some pounds on but I'm not as heavy as I was, so I keep on going to group because I need to keep an eye on things.

My motivation is me, no-one else, no-one can give it to you - you have got to really want to do this. It's a plan for life, not just while you lose weight.

Just ask yourself how much you want this, write it down, how it makes you feel when you have a good and bad week, then refer back to it when you are feeling like cheating. It does work.

And remember, one bad meal or day doesn't spoil a week.

If you join now, you could be half a stone lighter by Christmas. If you leave it until next year, you could be half a stone heavier.

Good luck.

Firstly, don't leave it until the new year, join now. There are 4 more WI's until Christmas!!!

If you join now, you could be half a stone lighter by Christmas. If you leave it until next year, you could be half a stone heavier.

Good luck.

I totally agree, dont wait til new year, start now!!

Motivation is very personal, whether its to look better, feel better, health reasons, trying for a baby (my reason :) ) everyone has their individual reasons.
But as others have said.. its a mental thing, you need to be totally ready to commit and put in 100%.

You can do it! :D

Totall, totally agree! You can easily lose half a stone before Xmas! Youre inevitably gonna put a bit on over Xmas, whether you're on SW or not. If you dont do it TODAY thats half a stone on PLUS whatever you would have lost if youd actually been on the plan! Making that decision is the difference between whatever weight you are now and half a stone, a stone more come January.

Why wait? Its NEVER going to be convenient! If you wait now youll wait every day and it'll never, ever happen. The only difference between losing and not losing is answering that question "when AM I going to do this?" with NOW.

Read this post. You can do it!!! Good luck x :)

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. I totally understand what your saying about starting now but I am not in the right place at the moment.
I have been to class an restarted a few times and then stupidly try to do it on my own and it never works I end up gaining weight.
After Christmas is out of the way I have a clear run and can get into the right frame of mind (I hope at least)
I have so many reasons for doing it but I just don't seem able to do it no matter what plan or diet it is

I am not in the right place at the moment.

Sorry if I sound mean, but that's a cop out! If you've taken the time to sit and think about this, which you obviously have since you're on here, then you are totally in the right place at the moment. And if you don't snatch at this moment with both hands and hold tight, it'll pass, and you'll end up not doing a thing about it.

After Christmas is out of the way I have a clear run and can get into the right frame of mind (I hope at least)

You hope? Why the negativity? You can so do this.

I have so many reasons for doing it

List them all out. Write them all down. Copy them out onto different post-it notes. Stick them on the fridge, the sweety cupboard, the mirror in the bathroom, EVERYWHERE. That will put you face to face with your reasons for doing this every time you think you'll just sit down and have an unhealthy snack.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Slimmming World is the easiest diet I've ever been on. In fact I would hesitate to call it a diet at all. It's not, really. It's a whole new way of thinking and eating. And once you get your head around it, it's easy. Sure you'll have the odd week where life gets in the way and you STS or gain, but the over all picture is one of a new, healthy you.

Please don't put it off. Do it. Today. Right now. You'll be amazed at the difference in just a few weeks.

x x

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. I totally understand what your saying about starting now but I am not in the right place at the moment.
I have been to class an restarted a few times and then stupidly try to do it on my own and it never works I end up gaining weight.
I have so many reasons for doing it but I just don't seem able to do it no matter what plan or diet it is

Sorry fruitybabe, got to agree with Mandy, without meaning to be rude youre just making excuses for yourself and avoiding facing the issue.

You will *never* be in the right place, it isn't just going to walk into your hands. There's NEVER a right time, the time is only 'right' when you look back and see that you did it, that you said "no I don't think I can do it... but F*CK IT I'M DOING IT ANYWAY" Just get up and go, even if you think you will fail.

I never expected this to work - I was the same as you, done it a million times, lasted a couple of weeks, gave up. Then one day I just went to class anyway, fully expecting to drop out in a fortnight, a month max. I just tried again, every day a new day and one day I woke up and realised 3 months and 3 stone had passed.

I have so many reasons for doing it

And what reasons do you have for not doing it?

Well? Come on?

Just start. Dont even think about the next month, the next week, even tomorrow. Just go to a class tonight. What have you got to lose?

What HAVE you got to lose? C'mon, you can do it! x :)

Last edited:
Hi guys I wish I could say thanks for your replies but I can't really to be honest. I know you didn't mean to be rude as you said but it really did come across that way.
I can't just go tonight to a class, maybe you are able to just decide something and do it and I wish I could but I can't.
I have other reasons for starting in jan like financial reasons as well as not being in the right place.
I know you said there will never be a right time to do something and your right there never is but just because someone doesn't do it right there and then does not mean that they never will. Also telling me to get off my arse and do it is in my opinion quite derogatory and not very nice at all.
Right I have said more than I meant to and I don't want any bad feelings I just wanted to get across how those comments made me feel. I have always had great support whenever I have posted here in the past and have always tried to give support and advice too. I hope that you guys understand all this, I will do it, but as I said just because I am not doing it right now does not mean I won't.

Also telling me to get off my arse and do it is in my opinion quite derogatory and not very nice at all.

Did anyone actually say this? I've read through the posts and I can't see it....

I really don't think anyone has been rude or derogatory. We do help on here and the posts, whilst frank, are very supportive.

Erm and Mandy are right - there's never a right or good time but only you know what is right for you.

I hope next year is the right time for you, if it's not now.

Good luck.

Hi,

I'm sorry you felt everyone was having a go but I can see where they're coming from...at best they were answering the issue you raised in your post and at worst they were only trying to give help and encouragement.

I understand the financial implications but to be honest I'm spending less on my food bill now than before and I swear I'm eating more. I'm on EE and I batch cook a lot of stuff and freeze it.

Fact is from now until whenever you have to buy food to eat....the question then is why not choose to buy food that you could make into something nice and tasty that meets with SW diet plan? There's enough recipes and food diaries on here that you could have a crack at...and if you've done it before that's just adding to what you know you can have.

You may not have the confidence in yourself to make that choice to get on track right now but I really do think you need to sit and think what the alternatives are...more disheartened than you are now for one.

I saw a saying once that goes something like this:

Don't put off until tomorrow something you should do today because if you liked it today you can always do it again tomorrow! (Hope I got that right!)

Come on love...give it a go...we're all here rooting for you...YOU CAN DO IT...and you can do it NOW!!

Stay positive... :)

I know how it feels to be in the cop-out-making-excuses phase. And no matter how many people tell you it's a cop out, it's not like they haven't been there. Been at the position where they want to do it, really want to do it, but just can't visualise it and don't have the willpower. Because, taking the financial aspect out of it, that's all it is - willpower. Having the strength to do it and getting into the right mindset. Just merely wanting is not enough. Once you realise that and get stuck into things, you will be away and you know what? Maybe you'll look back... maybe you'll wobble, maybe you'll fall off... but so long as you get back on and keep on going you'll be ok.

Trust me, this is coming from someone who knows... I have been where you are now, and to some extent I'm still there... wanting to lose weight but not quite wanting to take the first step as the hill seems so high...

But last night I rejoined class, and today I am batch cooking. And although I weigh about 4 stone more than I did this time last year... I know that if I don't do something about it now, come the new year it'll be 5 stone more...

Hope that's a little more encouraging for you.

Oh, and Jaylou is the Yoda of Slimming World. :D

Good luck lovely xx

That comment has been removed Jay it was definitely there and it upset me to be honest and now it has been taken away and makes me look like I made it up lol. Nevermind I know it was there and that's all that matters.
Thanks for your comments jay and Scorp I totally understand it, I know people don't mean to be rude but it just comes across that way sometimes.
Like I said I have never come across anything rude or negative here before and hope it was a one off, everyone is so friendly here and I love coming here and reading all the posts and offering support if I can.
Jan 2012 will be a start of something new for me a better more determined me, I will do it :)

I thought the replies and advice were spot on and not offensive in the least.

I think the advice on here is so helpful and more importantly honest!

Thanks vixxster it was lovely what you said and totally spot on. A lot of it is to do with confidence as well as financial plus afraid of failing yet again. I have rejoined the same group quite a few times and am embarrassed a little as I have put everything back on I lost before.
It gives me time to think about me for a change instead of worrying about others I can plan it and go into it with gusto lol.
Thanks for your support like I said this is what I have come to know and love here :D

Hmmmmm - my punishment for any rudenes - scan bran lol.

I have had a eating disorder for years and know how dam hard it is to get going - but you can and you WILL xx

My thoughts, if youre not in the 'right place' , maybe losing a bit of weight (if you need too) will help you??
Look at a picture youre not happy with ? Thats my motivation, and slimming world is easiest the best 'diet' there is(for me) , because its not really a diet? and I felt I could stick to it, and its more realistic
It seems to me youre a bit vunerable? and that maybe you dont feel like you need to loose weight if that makes sense? and youll never lose weight whilst trying to make excuses.

Before i joined, I was forever making up excuses like oh i cant join that, too expensive, I wont like the food, etc etc, and now, i swear by it, Ive had days which i really cant be bothered, and i think, Why am I putting myself through this, then I look at that picture and i think, NEVER AGAIN!.

I hope I dont come across as rude, but sometimes, its nice not to sugarcoat (mmm sugarcoat) things, and maybe its what you need?

Good luck in your journey , and if you need support, there are loads of us here to support!

Last edited:
Main thing hun is that the support is here for you when you're ready, regardless of anything else that may or may not have been perceived as insensitive. :)

Hope you keep us updated...just in case you do decide to go on plan before Christmas :bighug:

Back