Move over Levi Roots! Kittyface's Reggae Reggae Chicken! SYN FREE!

kittyface

I am a big fan of Reggae Reggae sauce and we used to though jars of the hot, sweet and spicy stuff.

I was missing it so tonight I had a go at making my own! and hand on heart....it tastes EXACTLY the same as Mr Roots famous sauce, but except it is completely syn free!

I didn't tell my other half I made it from scratch and he loved it *big beam*

I am afraid I don't remember the *exact* measures for the sauce, but I just kept adding and tasting it until it was spot on!

The Recipe!

Serves 2 big portions....but it's Friday :D

Ingredients

The Sauce:
1 500ml Bottle of Diet Coke
Worcestershire Sauce.....4 or 5 good spashes
1/2 Small tin of Tomato Puree (Make sure it is the one with just double concentrate tomato and salt, not with added sugars! or you will need to syn it!)
Black Pepper....a couple of good twists
Maggie Liquid Seasoning....4 or 5 good spashes (I swear by this stuff......but if you can't find it try a blob of Marmite!!)
Smoked Paprika....about 2 teaspoons
Cayenne Pepper....about 2 teaspoons
Mixed Spice (I added extra ginger powder and cinnamon powder) ....about 2 teaspoons
A couple splashes of Tabasco

The Stew
Chop 1 onion
Chop 3 cloves of garlic
Big Pack of Mini Chicken Fillets
A Chopped Red Pepper
A Chopped Green Pepper
A Chopped Green Chilli (I left the seeds in as I like is fiery)
A chopped courgette
A Small tin of corn nibblets

Fry off the onion and the garlic with a squirt of Fry Light, then add the chicken.....before the chicken is completely brown pour in the entire bottle of diet coke and turn up the heat so the coke starts to bubble! Add the sauce ingredients above....as I said, I just kept tasting and adding :)

Throw in your veggies and leave on a high heat, the coke will start to reduce and become sticky! I like the veg still to have a bit of crunch,

When it's nice and thick and piping hot....... Shake your Caribbean thang and enjoy!

The pic below (sorry it's SO tiny!) makes it look a bit yellow, but the sauce is a rich reddy brown, just like Reggae Reggae!

We had it with quinoa salad and I guess if you are doing a green day.....just add more veg and leave out the chicken :D

SW Reggae Chicken.jpg

Would look someone to try it and give it a review :)

Love Kitty x

Last edited:
This sounds lovely, you quinoa salad looks nice in the photo would you mind sharing the recipe for that too? I tried quinoa once but it was a bit soggy and didn't taste of much, not sure what I did wrong?!

Making this now only I forgot the Tabasco and have added some honey and it's delish. Think I may have overdone it with the chilli though. A recipe I will definitely be adding to my recipe book. Thanks for that .

This sounds great!

Back