MullerLight Yoghurts are not...

just jumping on this one, did you know there was gelatine in polos too - i am jewish (not practicing) but in my junior school days we could not take them in to school as they are not kosher

1010, I didn't mean to offend, either. I genuinely assumed that folk who need to avoid certain things, for whatever reason, would be aware of the common 'hidden' areas. I stopped eating meat when I was 11, so it's always been a way of life for me - I was wrong to assume that it would be the same for others.

Avisk, I don't htink you're odd at all, just careful. And 10 10, you're not thick or dumb, or any other such thing. Don't do yourself down, not even in a sarcastic way :)x

I like the sainsburys vanilla version of muller. The texture took me by surprise and the 'mouthfeel' is more like a pudding than a yogurt, which is probably why I like.
I have no idea whether it contains gelatine though.

Mmmm yes it's the rice starch. They've only recently started to put it in - before it was in their basics yoghurt which I loved but wouldn't be worth the syns. Now it's in the FF ones too, such a good texture.

I'm a convert to the Activia fat free (small tubs if for when out and about - Cherry is my fave) or Onken Fat Free (in the big tubs to use for breakfast with chopped fruit and brown rice so that it's like a rice pudding - vanilla or strawberry flavour).

These bio yogurts really seem to make a difference to my digestion.

BUT - be careful when shopping as both of these brands have made the packaging for the fat free and normal types look very similar!

I think that this thread is very useful 10st10lbs! I'm a veggie but I didn't think to check the labels on a dairy product. Quite frankly if I have to read all of the ingredients in everything I buy I'd never get out of Tesco. So thanks for giving the heads up! ZXXX

im new to slimimng world and the amount of times some recipes say a certain flavour of muller but i cant use them as im muslim i use shape delights or activia snack pots but not as much variety as muller

I've never eaten mullers for this reason. I try to be strict with my veggie-ness and the idea of eating anything with gelatine in make me feel rather ill :/

I think it's definitely worth a thread, I know when I first became veggie 8 years ago I was caught out by mullers. You really wouldn't think that yogurt, extra strong mints and such oddities would contain meat by-products :/

Lucky7 said:
I'm a convert to the Activia fat free (small tubs if for when out and about - Cherry is my fave) or Onken Fat Free (in the big tubs to use for breakfast with chopped fruit and brown rice so that it's like a rice pudding - vanilla or strawberry flavour).

These bio yogurts really seem to make a difference to my digestion.

BUT - be careful when shopping as both of these brands have made the packaging for the fat free and normal types look very similar!

Is it the Onken yoghurts that are no longer Syn free? I think they use sugar instead of sweetener now, though I could be wrong!

Is it the Onken yoghurts that are no longer Syn free? I think they use sugar instead of sweetener now, though I could be wrong!

Yes it is, you're right - bummer as I like them!!!

I wonder if onken sales have gone down since this change. I know personally I used to buy the big pots, but no longer do. :(

Am i the only one who when eating a Muller Light can only taste the artificial sweetener above any flavour? Yuck!
Picked up some Yeo Valley fat free vanilla yesterday and it is much better. I know you have to count it as A syn but it's only 6 syns for the whole big pot so a portion would be around 1.5-2 syns.
And no aspartame in sight :)

Sweetener is something I want to eliminate from my diet eventually. I'm used to the Muller Light taste but when you taste a 'real' yoghurt again the difference is amazing. Apart from the taste I worry about the effect stuff like aspartame has on our bodies.

Natural yoghurt is one of those things that I think you have train yourself to like then the fat free ones just taste so claggy and artificial when you have them again. The good thing is you can flavour it with sweet things or savoury so it's more versatile too. I think the muller etc yogurts end up taking over the flavour of the fruit too whereas natural yogurt seems to bring out fruit flavour. Does take bit of getting used to though

Apart from the taste I worry about the effect stuff like aspartame has on our bodies
Me too. Just FYI, Aldi do a powder sweetener that doesn't contain aspartame. It's only 95p for a large jar too!

Natural yoghurt is one of those things that I think you have train yourself to like then the fat free ones just taste so claggy and artificial
Think i may try this. I suppose if it is too sour then i can pop some of the Aldi sweetener in!

Pickle87 said:
They are syn free but contain gelatin hun

The strawberry activea are not suitable for vegitarians due to the colourings they use in them (cochineal) or crushed beetles

hurleymurley said:
Sweetener is something I want to eliminate from my diet eventually. I'm used to the Muller Light taste but when you taste a 'real' yoghurt again the difference is amazing. Apart from the taste I worry about the effect stuff like aspartame has on our bodies.

I buy natural yog and use sucralose based sweeteners in it as apparently they are better for you

I knew it had gelatine but I found it disgusting when I kept finding pieces of gelatine (clear, fleshy rubbery bits) in my yogurt. They taste very artificial. I did enjoy some flavours but to be honest I've gone off them now. There are better creamier more natural brands.

Back