My attempt at Low Carb!

Can't imagine I will lose that amount in 5 days, but its a start lol. Just gotta wait for the books to arrive now so I can go shopping and begin. Have told my husband that he is doing it too as think it will be beneficial for both of us, not that he is overweight, but he has a serious addiction to sweets and chocolate.................maybe it will wean him off of them :)

Good luck! Much easier if your both doing it together, less temptation.

Question out to all....what's the advice on eating a small portion of nuts as a snack?

Nuts are something you have to experiment with. Atkins limits them, he says eat macadamias and only an ounce (I think) a day. Peanuts are out for induction level, as they're not true nuts, similarly cashews are higher carb as they aren't true nuts either.

Once you're through any "induction" like phase (ie super low carb), try adding nuts in in small quantities, and see what happens.

Any low carb cookbooks anyone can recommend?

I have The Low Carb Cookbook by Amanda Cross and it is very good...similar to Atkins stages, there is a fast track (induction) then keep on tracking etc till you get to maintenance

Was recommended by a friend and only £3 on amazon worth the £3 even for a few recipe ideas and good basic nutritional info.

Nuts are something you have to experiment with. Atkins limits them, he says eat macadamias and only an ounce (I think) a day. Peanuts are out for induction level, as they're not true nuts, similarly cashews are higher carb as they aren't true nuts either.

Once you're through any "induction" like phase (ie super low carb), try adding nuts in in small quantities, and see what happens.

Thanks for this - I love Macadamia's so thats good...I just need something in the afternoon at my desk that isn't meat and suppose a handful of nuts is better than a biscuit or worse!

So...after the party I struggled to get back into the diet and work etc (excuses) have meant having take away a couple of times resulting in a weight gain of 3lbs back on...tomorrow is official weigh-in day and I am going to see how having limited amount of milk in my tea/coffee effects a good low carb week and take it from there.

Good luck being back on track:)

So good day today...except a tiny bit of skimmed milk in 3 decaf coffees to get me through the day - does anyone have any advice on the milk, if it's used within carb allowance does it matter?

I don't know, but if it was within your daily allowance I am sure you are fine xx

i thought on low carb that you could have cream in coffee as that is also low carb - double being lower than single.

Dawnejoy said:
I don't know, but if it was within your daily allowance I am sure you are fine xx

i thought on low carb that you could have cream in coffee as that is also low carb - double being lower than single.

Thanks Dawnejoy - I know cream is better but I don't like the taste (not so bad in coffee but awful in tea) I think I'll have my bit of milk and if I don't loose I will cut it out :)

Thanks Dawnejoy - I know cream is better but I don't like the taste (not so bad in coffee but awful in tea) I think I'll have my bit of milk and if I don't loose I will cut it out :)

Must admit couldn't have cream in tea........................yuk, yuk, yuk!!

I can't remember if I said, but I on the Harcombe diet and not drinking tea at all, tho you can have decaff on it, but I've started drinking fruit teas and quite enjoying them.

You are suppose to cut out caffine i know as it can stall weigh loss but I love coffee and tea so limiting myself to 1 a day and then a decaf if I want it. I did cut it out completely for whole of Jan while detoxing but missed a hot drink - not keen on the fruit/herbals

Another question to put out there....say you have a bit of a blow out (special occasion or carb slip up) do you need to go back to strict induction or whatever (as if starting for first time) to kick your body back into loosing or does it work to just go back on track where you were?

Another question to put out there....say you have a bit of a blow out (special occasion or carb slip up) do you need to go back to strict induction or whatever (as if starting for first time) to kick your body back into loosing or does it work to just go back on track where you were?

Do you know, I don't know and hadn't thought about it, but from what I've read on the Harcombe website ppl go back onto phase 1 everytime they want to boost their weight loss a bit, so maybe you do if you have a major blow out to get the stuff out of your system again.

Yeah suppose that makes sense...better still not to break it but then life would be boring!

So have 3 weeks till Easter and 4 weeks till I go on holiday and need to hit my first target! Determination is key!!! Mother day is getting in the way next weekend which means wine but lots of exercise should counter balance :)

Oh dear Mothers Day! Will be the first hurdle to get through. Cant cheat this early in the diet can I, lol. Have warned my kids, no chocs!! (sob) x

Told mine the same, and have suggested (and hoping for) hairdresser vouchers!

Back