My Big Boys had a fight !!

fillymum

synful soul
This is my big boys when they were pups of 8 months old . They are now 3 years old and a tad bigger.

2008_05040014.jpg

bigboysinbed-1.jpg

They have always got on so well, real great chums. Yesterday they had a fight over their breakfasts. It was really scary.

Now they will not eat together, which is pretty sensible really that they recognise for themselves that they must be apart to eat. In all other respects they still the greatest of pals. However I am now a bit nervous when I come home and a bit concerned about what I will find.

Seperating 2 85 kilo dogs is no fun, dangerous to say the least.

Oooh what big beasties you have got!!!!

Is one more top dog/Pack Leader when you are not around? I think its quite normal for siblings to squabble now and then, but as I generally deal with dogs about the size of one your dogs poops I don't mind breaking up the fight. Do you feed them at set times?

Hope they are harmonious hounds again?

Oooh what big beasties you have got!!!!

Is one more top dog/Pack Leader when you are not around? I think its quite normal for siblings to squabble now and then, but as I generally deal with dogs about the size of one your dogs poops I don't mind breaking up the fight. Do you feed them at set times?

Hope they are harmonious hounds again?

They have always had a regulated life with meals at more or less the same times.

Yes, they are good together at present but I would not trust them together at mealtimes again.

I am down to one dog now so meal times aren't an issue any longer, but my late smelly boy was a rescue and for obvious reasons he had food aggression with other dogs, he was also 2nd in command pack leader, so I always made a point of his dinner going down first, then my other dog got her dinner at the other end of the room with me stood between.

I'd love to know what goes on in dogs heads sometimes, I think they are more complex than people give them credit for!

Are they neutered? Your boys are very handsome.

Sue sounds like they are astablishing a pecking order.

one of my dogs is definalty the boss at dinner time, after a few growls and nips between them.They soon settled into there routine.

now one will eat first and the other sits patiently at his side till he finishes then will eat his food.

its pack mentality!

unless things get really bad let them sort it out between themselves, and for goodness sake dont get in between them when they start fighting, it will look and sound worse than it is.and if you panic they will pick up on that.

i know this as my biggest weighs in at 13 stone, but hes as daft as a bat, much the same as your fellas are.

let us know how you get on x

Wow they are huge! I have two Miniature Schanuzers, so if they decide to fight, a quick "OI you two!" from me usually stops them in their tracks.

They are brother and sister (from different litters) and the female (Poppy) is a year older. She is horrendously protective of her food, but when she gets a bone, Heaven forbid if the other dog (or even worse, the cat) so much as comes anywhere near her (she won't attack, but she will growl until they have passed)

Also the council gave me a small green bin for food scraps, which I keep beside the dish washer. She has now decided this is 'hers' and she often stands guard beside it, growling at anyone who dares to come near :D

Also the council gave me a small green bin for food scraps, which I keep beside the dish washer. She has now decided this is 'hers' and she often stands guard beside it, growling at anyone who dares to come near :D

Sorry that made me :D:D:D
I have a cat with a real "dog in a manger" atitude to food. I shudder to think what she'd be like.

And fillymum ... your boys are gorgeous.

It made me smile too as I can just see it. What funny creatures they are.

My big boys are not neutered. All the small boys are and it did not solve any aggravation issues with them and as we lost one Great Dane under the anesthetic we are very reluctant to allow them "under the knife" unless it is an absolute necessity.

Any problem is always made worse by the little ones wanting to join in.

Touch wood, all is peaceful at present. They will not eat together at breakfast but quite happily eat their evening meal together.........work that one out if you can cos I can't.

hugs xx.

Back