Total Solution My Exante journey..

Hi Womble

You've done amazingly ... sorry if this has been asked before, but do you eat more when you have a PT session? I used to go to the gym 4 times a week, but have stopped while starting this and want to get back to it, but the official site says I should eat whatever calories I burn, which seems pointless. So I'd be very interested to see how it works in real life :)

L
x

Hi Womble

You've done amazingly ... sorry if this has been asked before, but do you eat more when you have a PT session? I used to go to the gym 4 times a week, but have stopped while starting this and want to get back to it, but the official site says I should eat whatever calories I burn, which seems pointless. So I'd be very interested to see how it works in real life :)

L
x
Hi Lesley,

I eat more after a workout if I feel like it, but definitely not as many calories as I've burned! I either have some lean protein (the packs of pre-cooked chicken or turkey are great) or a small handful of frozen cherries (cherries are apparently a great post-workout recovery food, as they contain some ingredient that helps muscle repair). If I've done a particularly tough session, I find this helps reduce muscle fatigue the following day so that I can get straight back in the gym. Apparently a coffee in the couple of hours after a workout can be quite effective too.

I didn't know that about cherries! I love cherries! OH loves the cherries and berries shake blended with real cherries and ice- I've been dying to try it. Another great excuse to get my workout on!

So I had a horrific weekend. I just had to face food challenges at every corner, and found the temptation too much! I'm particularly annoyed because my PT left a slice of chocolate cake for me at my house (he's dating my au pair, he doesn't come to my house to see me!) and insisted that I should eat it as I've been so good lately. Little did he know that the evening before, I went out with friends for a curry (I had dry chicken tikka and a side of mixed spiced vegetables), and I was off out to the pub for a roast with friends (I had roast pork which is incredibly naughty, but I palmed the potatoes and yorkshire off on my husband). Basically, I ate loads. I ended up doing an extended spin class yesterday which was not for the faint-hearted, but I'm afraid to say it hardly dented my calorific treats over the weekend.

I did go back to the gym this morning to try a yoga class. I felt great afterwards, and it was good to have a good stretch out (and relieve some work-related stress), but I must admit I prefer something a bit faster paced... we spent so much time on our backs that I thought I was going to fall asleep! I saw that the instructor did a more dynamic pilates class straight afterwards, so next week I might stay around for that instead. I think I'm going to have to head back to the gym a bit later this afternoon to get a proper work out!

I didn't know that about cherries! I love cherries! OH loves the cherries and berries shake blended with real cherries and ice- I've been dying to try it. Another great excuse to get my workout on!

Try getting a pack of the frozen ones from the supermarket - much less faff than real cherries (they're already pitted), and they are frozen when they are super-ripe, so really really tasty. If you eat them semi-frozen, they feel like an ice-cream treat too.

Thanks Pink. The choices were ok, it was just the quantity, and the mindlessness with which I can go off course which worry me... had a good TS day yesterday though, and did manage to get back to the gym for a short cardio session in the afternoon. I didn't do much as was so exhausted - probably a 'food hangover' from my weekend!

Heading to a spin class shortly, which will be my exercise for today. Then have a pilates session and a PT session booked in for tomorrow.

Just booked a 2-night break in a spa hotel in Bath for my wedding anniversary in a couple of weeks - yay!

Hi Womble, just a quick question or 2 - how far in to doing Exante did you begin going to the gym? And how do you manage a strenuous workout on such a low calorie intake? I'm wanting to get back to the gym in the next month or so but would appreciate some advice if you wouldn't mind?

Thanks

Hi Womble, just a quick question or 2 - how far in to doing Exante did you begin going to the gym? And how do you manage a strenuous workout on such a low calorie intake? I'm wanting to get back to the gym in the next month or so but would appreciate some advice if you wouldn't mind?

I started the fitness plan before Exante. It wasn't too strenuous to begin with - I did 1 PT session a week and 2 runs a week. After a couple of months I started upping it a bit, adding in a zumba class and an extra run. Then, I joined a new gym and basically just went nuts. I now do 2-3 PT sessions a week, 2-3 spin classes, 3 cardio sessions (e.g. run, cycle, cross trainer or combo), 1 zumba class and 1 body pump class. And anything else I can fit in (e.g. occasional swimming, yoga, pilates, etc). If I had to give some advice based on my experience, it would be the following:

1) Get a PT if you can afford one, even if only to kick start a fitness plan. I think having a PT really helped me, as they will assess you to see what you are capable of, and then push you to your limit, but not beyond. And that's important - I don't want to risk injury or worse, cardiac arrest! Because I had been training for over a year, I do have a lot of muscle in my body composition so I can take quite a strenuous workout. Having a PT has given me the confidence to know I can do it, and to participate in classes and push myself harder than I would have done otherwise.
2) Drink even more water. When I started upping my routine, I was getting some awful headaches about an hour after a training session. Drinking more water stopped these, but if you find you get headaches and drinking water doesn't help, you should seek medical advice as apparently it can be indicative of high blood pressure.
3) Get a training buddy. It really does motivate you to go to the gym more and do more variety of classes / workouts. I'm lucky that my au pair is a total fitness freak so I have a live-in training buddy (she's also dating my PT which is a bit strange...).
4) Take time to recover. I have 1 day a week where I don't do any exercise at all. It's essential to make sure my muscles recover.
5) Eat more if you need to. Most weekdays, I stick to my 3 packs and a protein snack after a workout (grilled chicken or something like that). It doesn't add too many calories. I don't tend to eat extra before a session, as I want my body to burn my fat, rather than take energy from what's in my stomach.

Personally, I don't think I would be able to do Exante without the exercise, as I would be far too worried about maintaining (VLCD are notorious for slowing metabolisms right down, which may be why maintenance after the diet is such hard work). Especially in my case, as I seem to still have a big issue with bingeing on the weekends. But by adding exercise, our bodies metabolisms will naturally grow faster, and give us much better odds for keeping the weight off in the long run!

Hope that's vaguely useful and good luck on re-starting a regime - it's so much fun once you're back into it!

So quick update for today after my essay above (!). Ended up snacking on some cheese last night as was hungry and bored. Everyone else was out, so I was in the house on my own... I'm terrible if there's no-one else there!

But had my shake this morning, a brutal PT session (mostly arms today), and am about to devour a chocolate orange bar for lunch.

Work is so slow today, so might head out for a nice walk this afternoon - apparently it's going to be 28 degrees in London ??!?

Thanks ever so much for answering my questions Womble, it's very much appreciated!

I used to be a gym bunny, doing a mix of cardio and resistance. My local gym has instructors on duty and there's one that would always advise me. I did get a workout compiled by one of the other instructors but I didn't feel it was particularly tailored to me. It seemed more of a generic 'fat lass' workout. The other instructor told me to bin it and worked with me to find something I felt challenged me plus could be changed up as I lost the weight and became more fit. He told me that I had to change things up every 6 weeks as our bodies become used to what we're doing and therefore weight-loss becomes stagnant.

I still have his workout, which was done when I weighed about a stone less than I do at present so I'm happy to go back to it. I could never eat before a workout as it would make me sick, so exercising on an empty stomach is fine by me! If I felt particularly tired, I would drink a coffee about an hour beforehand and that would give me the boost I needed. The gym I use has an electronic key system which is like a USB stick. It would first be programmed with your details - age, sex, height and weight. You would put it in to each piece of machinery at the beginning of the workout, key in the weights, resistance, distance etc and it would log your workout for you. At the end of the session, you would plug it in to one of the terminals and it would show you how long you worked out for, distance, speed, kgs lifted, cals burned etc. It was a massive motivator and made me very competitive with myself! Post-workout I would drink skimmed milk as this helped repair my muscles so I wasn't crying like a baby the day after with muscle fatigue!

Thanks again Womble :)

That electronic key system sounds genius... I think I can link up my workouts on the cardio machine with my Bodytrax login (that's the machine I use in the gym to measure my body composition), but I just haven't figured it out yet...

So my PT session yesterday was great. Did a lot of arm and abs work, but luckily not too sore this morning. I just did a Zumba class - with an instructor I haven't tried before. Not sure I will do that one again! It was really bizarre... some of the songs and routines felt like I was dancing at a kids birthday party. I much prefer instructors who teach zumba in a more 'street dance' style, although I'm kidding myself if I think I look as cool as they do when doing the routines :)

Have another PT session later this afternoon - this time at home, so should be a relatively gentle session. Then I have body pump and another PT session tomorrow. Should be exhausted by the weekend, so think I'll take it easy on Saturday and try the Aquafit class for the first time.

Foodwise I'm really struggling in the evenings at the moment. I don't know if it's the darkness creeping in earlier in the evenings, but I just really feel the need to eat when I get home. It doesn't help that my husband often doesn't get home from work until after 10pm so I'm on my own so really bored. Watching Great British Bake Off obviously doesn't help as it makes me crave whatever they are baking!! Think I'm going to re-take up a hobby to do at home in the evenings to keep my mind occupied and off food. I learnt modern calligraphy earlier this year and have lots of kit at home, so might take that up again. If I start now, I might be able to get some cards done in time for Christmas!

If anyone else has any tips for keeping boredom eating at bay in the evenings, I'm all ears...

So did PT session last night and did a body pump class this morning. Heading off to another PT session in half an hour. I am going to ACHE tomorrow.

Was really hungry last night so ate off plan, but a very healthy meal. I made my homemade coleslaw (just shredded cabbage, carrot and a bit of onion, marinated in apple cider vinegar) with an omelette. I could have used one of the exante egg packs to make the omelette, but I just really fancied real eggs. I put a bit of chilli and soy on the omelette and it was delicious! It actually filled me up loads, so wasn't tempted to cheat last night.

I've decided not to weigh this week. My slow weight loss is really frustrating me, but I know I mustn't get hung up on it. I have WAY healthier than I've been in a long time, and that's what's important to me. Instead, I'm going to take progress photos and buy myself a tape measure to do measurements, as I think that will be more encouraging for me. I know the inches are coming off, as I'm buying smaller clothes and throwing old, bigger clothes away, but it's just not reflecting in the scales.

Hey Womble!
You've been doing really great - I read your diary and wish I could be as driven as you to do two classes or a class and pt session almost daily! Even when I had my membership, I'd be hard pushed to go to one class three times a week!
I'm glad to see you're feeling healthier! I'm feeling healthier too, and due a blood test soon to check cholesterol levels etc.
I wish I had taken progress photos... but I do have photos from the wedding I attended on august 1st and I definitely see a difference from there.
I can't rely on my measurements- they're so up and down even if the scales say I've lost- but I can see a diff and OH says he can feel a difference (teehee).

ha ha - my OH keeps asking where my boobs have gone :)

I'm at a christening on Sunday and going to wear the same dress I wore to Ascot back in June.. will be interesting to see how that fits now.

Just finished my PT session and WOW I am exhausted... today's session included flipping a 60kg tyre and endless jump squats. Alongside all the other torture my trainer puts me through. That's definitely me done on the exercise for today :snoopyhouse:

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I've unfortunately been ill all weekend with a horrific cold (know it's just a cold, but I feel so terrible!).

Been doing some thinking too about Exante and my lifestyle and I think I've decided to come to an end with my exante journey... I'm just not sure it's working anymore for me, as I crave real food too much and end up eating normally at the weekends. Instead, I'm moving back to a low GI eating plan, typically eating limited carbohydrates (e.g. quinoa and oats, not wheat or potatoes), proteins, berries and non-starchy veg etc etc. For me, I just think this is more maintainable in the long run and I think my body just needs a change right now.

I'm sticking with the meal replacement idea in part, as following a chat with my PT, I will be replacing a meal after each hard workout with a protein shake. Provided I drink it within 30 mins of a workout, the high amounts of protein will help rebuild my muscles and improve bone density. I've found a great brand that uses plant proteins rather than whey or soy, and combines the proteins with superfoods such as matcha tea, baobab and goji berries.

Hopefully the change will help me overcome the weight loss plateau I've been in for a while, and I wish all of you the best of luck on the rest of your journeys. Think I'm going to set up a new diary / transfer this one to another more appropriate forum, as I've found it so helpful to write here. It forces me to be honest about what I've eaten and done, much more so that I would have been otherwise!

x

Back