My food diary -from flab to FAB (hopefully)

Hey Vix, glad you are having a better day today - here's an old fave recipe - directly per book - I've never added that much oil or 4 green chillies :eek: myself - its really easy and SCRUMMY. To SW it you just need to use lowfat yog and SW-fry the onions. I've not made it with 0% yoghurt myself yet though, so it may split a bit when you are cooking it - but should be ok if you are gentle!

Dahi Murghi (chicken and yoghurt curry)

1kg skinned chicken joints on the bone
125g carton plain yoghurt
3-4 cloves garlic – chopped
1-inch cube root ginger
2-3 dried red chillis
½ tsp turmeric
1 tbsp ground coriander
4 tbsps cooking oil
1 large onion finely sliced
2-4 fresh green chillies whole
1 tsp salt or to taste
½ tsp garam masala
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves

put yoghurt, garlic, ginger, red chilli, turmeric and ground coriander in blender and blend till smooth

marinate chicken in yoghurt mix 6-8 hours or overnight covered in fridge

put chicken in heavy pan with lid, over medium heat and stir a few times, simmer gently 25 – 30 mins until chicken is tender

heat oil in shallow pan and brown the onions, add to the chicken and cook uncovered 5-6 mins stirring frequently

add whole green chillies salt and garam masala cook for 3-4 mins – taste for seasoning,

Remove from heat and stir in coriander leaves

Mmmmm thanks that sounds yummy thanks hazysummer!!!

Had a busy morning, I've had to re-register with a recruitment agency as my friend works there and she has got me 2 weeks evening work starting on 23rd march:happy036: . Its only temporary but every little helps as tesco say.:p I've also done all the washing, washing up and cooked our lunch, packed hubby off for the weekend and started on my cleaning so I've got less to do tomorrow.

My 30 day shred dvd has arrived :help2: lol, I'm going to start tonight once my daughter is in bed, I think I might die, at least hubby won't be home to witness how unfit I am :giggle:I'll report on day one when I can breathe again.

So anyhows todays food diary:

Breakfast: Apple

Lunch: Poached Egg on toast (HexB) with I can't believe its not butter light (1) and ketchup (1)

Dinner: Beef stirfry with half blue dragon oyster & spring onion sauce sachet (3)

Snacks: Muller light, melon, grapes, Actimel (1.5) Milk in cuppas (HexA)

Total Syns: 6.5 (may treat myself to curly wurly tonight so may be 12.5 but will try and refrain)

Exercise today: 30 day shred DVD (see above) including warm up its about 27 mins apparently, plus usual sit ups etc...

I'll post last nights pork ragu recipie in a mo, its one of hubbys faves and such a quick easy dinner especially as I cheat and use boil in the bag rice, I can't do rice without it being a nasty soggy mush otherwise haha.

Back later, if I survive :roofles:............

:wave_cry:Oops just realised I didn't post the ragu recipie, I'll get onto that soon. :eek:

Yesterday was a really good day! :D:D:cool::cool: I completely blitzed the house and MIL picked my baby girl up for the night, saw a friend for coffee (well I only had water) and picked up a few bits for tea and then came home and chilled out for a bit before my sis came round for the night. I made a syn free chicken tikka masala and it was AMAZING!! Definately the best thing I've cooked so far and it was so simple. Thanks so much for the recipie Hazysummer, it sounds lovely I just couldn't afford all the ingredients, I'll post the recipie and pic for the one I made, tonight.

I went slightly over my syns last night with 1 glass of wine :sigh: but I'm not going to dwell on it too much, I did so much cleaning yesterday and finished off this morning so i figure I earnt it and it was my first child and hubby free night since my daughter was born nearly 18 months ago so I think I deserved 1 drink lol. :p

:ashamed0005: I do have another confession to make.............I still haven't plucked up the courage to start my 30 day shred :eek:. I'm AM starting it tomorrow. We're going for a family walk this afternoon once hubby and our daughter get back, both hopefully in around 15 mins and I also did 40 mins on just dance on the Wii this morning.

I'm having to WI tomorrow morning now as I've got training for this work starting next week on tuesday so won't make my usual meeting again, eeek :eek::eek::eek:, I hope the scales are kind to me, I've tried much harder this week!!!! Fingers crossed peeps .

Last edited:
Phew, only just sat down!!! Since hubby and daughter came home, its been non stop! Finally found time to list my food for the weekend, so here it is.......

So yesterday looked like this:

Breakfast: Apple

Lunch: Sushi (6.5)

Dinner: Syn free chicken tikka masala (recipie to follow) with mango chutney (2) and small naan (6) followed by mini milk (1.5)

Snacks etc: Muller light, melon, milk in cuppas (HexA), 1 glass of wine (6)

I didn't have my HexB today, completely forgot ooops!

Total syns: 22

Exercise: as mentioned earlier I've not started the 30 day shred but I did do hours of cleaning that made me sweat lol.

And todays food has looked like this:

Breakfast: Bacon, scrambled eggs and baked beans on toast (HexB). I can't believe its not butter light (2), Ketchup (1)

Lunch: Mugshot and muller light

Dinner: Lemon chicken and bacon salad. Light mayo (2)

Snacks: Muller light, baby bell (half HexA) (other half of HexA in the scrambled egg)

Total Syns = 5

Exercise today was 40 mins on just dance and 20 min walk (was only as slow walk as daughter was on her reins but it was exercise all the same)

I'm sitting here pretty bored and pretty fed up, hubby has been in a foul mood since he's been home and has gone to bed early, it all started when he made a stupid decision driving to the shops earlier on our way for the walk and nearly ended up in a road rage fight, the other driver punched his wing mirror from inside his own car and it really shook me up, it wouldn't have if our daughter wasn't there, we had an argument about it and have hardly spoke since. Oh well......so I'm currently sitting here feeling pretty sorry for myself and like a bit like mug for missing him all weekend and now all I want to do is eat chocolate :17729:Grrrr!!!!!! Somebody stop me :gen147::banghead:

Anyways enough of my winging, :copon:I'll get on and post the recipies.....I'm also going to post a fairy cake recipie my friend made which she adapted from the spanish orange cake recipie from the magazine......I'm going to try them this week I think as they look yummy or maybe the cookies I mentioned the other week.

Hope they help someone ;):)

Pork Ragu

This is so tasty and so simple.......Syn free on EE

PorkRagu.jpg

Serves 2 (not suitable for re-heating due to pork)

Ingredients:

1/2 x pack of pork mince (to only serve 2, i split the full pack in half and freeze in 2 seperate portions)
1x onion
2x cloves garlic
mushrooms
1 or 2x ham or pork knorr stock cubes depending on taste
1x carton Passata

Method:
  • Brown the mince whilst rice is cooking in seperate pan (I use boil in the bag rice, one bag serves 2)
  • Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes
  • Add 100ml of boiled water and the stock cubes and bring to the boil, add the passata and simmer until required consistancy depending on how thick you like your sauce.
  • Serve with the rice and eat immediately.

Chicken Tikka Masala

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G nomnomnom!!!!

Completely syn free on extra easy and the easiest curry I have ever made!!

SynfreeChickenTikkaMasala.jpg

Serves 2

Ingredients:

2x chicken breasts (cut into chunks and cooked)
1 x onion, chopped
3 x cloves of garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp tumeric
1 tbsp tikka masala powder
4 tbsp passata
100g natural low fat fromage frais
100ml chicken stock

Method:

• If not already cooked the chicken, cook this in frylight until golden and set aside on a plate.
  • Start to cook rice in seperate pan.
  • fry the onion and garlic in frylight to soften, add the spices and fry gently for 1 minute.
  • Add the passata and chicken stock and stir well
  • Add the cooked chicken and simmer until sauce reduces to prefered consistancy
  • Remove from heat and stir in fromage frais
  • Serve with the rice and enjoy :D:D

Fairy cakes

Makes 24, 1.5 syns each

Recipie from my friend who adapted the spanish orange cake recipie...haven't tried to make them myself yet but if you do let me know what you think.......

fairycakesbyvickyg.jpg

‎4 eggs, separated
50g/2oz golden caster sugar
5 tbsp artificial sweetener
150g/5oz self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
Small amount of Liquid of choice to taste, eg. Jif Lemon, orange juice (freshly squeezed), options and water (would need to add syns as appropriate) add until your preferred consistency......

method
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5.

2. Place the egg yolks, caster sugar, sweetener, self-raising flour, baking powder and “juice/liquid” of choice in a bowl and whisk until thick and pale. (a liquid is needed at this point to make mixture light and fluffy, else it will turn out like bread crumbs)

3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until softly peaked then fold them into the egg yolk mixture. Spoon this mixture into the prepared cake cases and cook in the oven for 25-30 (mine only took just over 10 mins) minutes or until the cake is risen and firm to the touch. Leave to cool.

Recipe is trial and error and you need to find something you like in your cakes.

I'm not sure about the butter icing part will get the recipie from her when I next see her and add it on :D hope you enjoy xxx

Morning all.......guess what? I lost 3 lbs :woohoo:I'm a happy bunny today with that :D:D:D:D. So I've been to WI this morning, came home and had brekkie and played with the little lady, she's gone down for her nap now and I've got a jacket pot in the oven again, which absolutely stinks, i cleaned it with a new cleaner yesterday and the fumes are really strong now the oven is on, I hope it doesn't taste of chemicals :9529:....slightly concerning :rolleyes: oh well, we'll see soon lol.

So I'm just updating on here then I'm going to start my 30 day shred :eek::eek::eek: before lunch.....I'm going to try and not have the lappy on after 9pm anymore as I'm finding it hard to sleep when I get to bed, so I'll be posting in the day then updating the next day....hopefully this will help me sleep and I'll be working 5-9pm from next week for 2 weeks so won't be able to update after dinner anyway.

Right then, not sure what we're having for dinner yet, got loads of bits that need using up so it might be a concoction (sp) of things but I'll either update later or tomorrow........

Today:

Brekkie: 2x weetabix (HexB) and SS milk (HexA)

Lunch: Jacket potato with baked beans and salad

Dinner: ?? TBC

Snacks etc: Melon, muller light, strawberries, curly wurly (6) rest of HexA milk in cuppas

Total Syns: 6 (may change)

Exercise today: 30 day shred, 60 mins zumba class.

Right then best get on with the shred, will update on day 1 later.........:wave_cry:

****Updated: Dinner was very naughty in the end, I was pooped after zumba and had to get ready for tomorrows training so I popped in the chippy on way home and I had fishcake (7) and a very small portion of chips (10 ish), then a muller light. I didn't have the cury wurly though so total syns= 17*****

Last edited:
The Shred

:happy036: I've just done day one and I'm still here!!! Yay! Some of the moves we're quite tricky and I need to get my mat from my mums as sit ups on laminate are quite painful lol. Also going to pick up some hand weights as I was using half full small water bottles. Bring on day 2......:D may not be saying that in the morning when I'm in agony though haha............

Hey folks

Been a busy bee since monday :D.......After I survived day 1 of the 30 day shred I took my daughter to my mums for the afternoon and she played with my neice and nephew, then I had zumba...my friend and I went to a different class and OMG it was sooooo much harder but far better, I liked the other class but this one was much more of a workout, :character00116: it had me huffing and puffing and sweating like crazy which I figure must do more then just being a little out of puff like the old class did. The instructor of this one is actually a qualified aerobics instructor not just zumba trained so she knows what shes doing, and she's quite funny which keeps you motivated....can't wait for next week :cool:. I did have chippy after though Ooopps. so Had 17 syns on monday.

Yesterday was a bit manic, I had a full days training at next head office, I have a 2 week telemarketing job there in the evenings starting next week, it was my first full days office work since march 09 so it was a bit of a shock to the system lol. I didn't get my 2nd day shred in cos when I got home had to bath my daughter and put her to bed, cook tea and the was so tired I fell asleep on the sofa haha :snoopyhouse:.:zz:

My food was a bit hit and miss too yesterday, it looked like this:

Brekkie: Weetabix (HexB) with SS milk (HexA)

Lunch: Banana, apple and aldi bar (3) (didn't want to spend money in the canteen and had nothing to take apart from a above)

Dinner: Chicken Pasta with Cheese (6) and strawberries after.

Snacks etc: 2x apples, another aldi bar (3), muller light. Rest of HexA milk in cuppas.

Syns total = 12

No exercise yesterday :break_diet:

:booboo:

So anyhows todays food looks like this then:

Breakfast: Weetabix (HexB) and SS milk (HexA)

Lunch: Jacket potato with baked beans and salad, light mayo on salad (2)

Dinner: Birdseye wild salmon, new pots and broccoli.

Snacks etc: Mullerlight, apple, grapes, curly wurly (6), rest of HexA milk in cuppas

Total Syns: 8

Exercise: day 2 of 30 day shred

Ok need to get a move on before my daughter wakes up from her nap, will update later if anything changes xxx

Last edited:
:D:D Just completed day 2 of the shred, and I'm pleasently surprised it was slightly easier than day 1, don't get me wrong it was still tough though. I really need to get some better support underwear, those jumping jacks don't half make things wobble...not a pretty sight.

Bonjour! :D:D:D

Another busy day here today...I've had my neice all morning as my nephew is doing a sponsored walk with his pre-school :D and my sis was helping out, she's just left and my daughter is napping but has been for about an hour so I've probably only got another 40 mins ish before she wakes up and I need to do my day 3 shred so need to get a wriggle on.

My food today:

Brekkie: Poached egg on toast (HexB) with I can't believe its not butter light (2) and ketchup (1)

Lunch: Tesco taster salmon Sushi (2), Melon
Dinner: Bangers (1.5) and Mash with plum tomatoes and bisto gravy (2) (with onions)
Snacks etc: Actimel (1.5), Milk in Cuppas (HexA), Mullerlight

Total Syns = 10

Exercise: day 3 30 day shred DVD

Hubby has come home from work poorly, looks like he's coming down with the flu cos he's all achey and shivering, he's been ill quite a bit this month which is unusual as he's never usually ill ever :(, he's in bed now hopefully he can sleep it off. I've got the food shop to do tonight, I've also still got to nip to the butchers this afternoon and pay a cheque in the bank. I should be a size 6 with the amount of running around I do lol. I should be so lucky (we'll I'd settle with a size 12 :D)

Anyhoooo best get to it, have a good day peeps xxxx:cool:

Last edited:
Oh pants, change of plan, whilst I was clearing toys away to make space for me to do the Shred, my daughter has woken up, she's playing in her cot atm whilst I get her lunch ready. I'll have to do it tonight, hopefully hubby will get an early night to sleep off his flu. I've not even had time to nip to the little tesco round the corner to get my salad bits either so not sure what I'll have for lunch now..................watch this space...........Updated as per above.....instead of chicken salad which I'd originally planned for lunch, they'd got no salad so I had the taster salmon sushi..mmmmm! Just about to leave to do weekly shop.....byeeeeeeeeeee

Last edited:
Evening..........well my plan not to have the lappy on past 9pm has failed miserably tonight :sigh: I've been helping a friend find a house cos shes being kicked out of her place in 5 weeks all because shes split up with her OH and has asked to take him off the tenancy, even though she earns enough to cover the rent and bills....stupid!!!!! :ashamed0005::ashamed0005::eek::eek: I've still not done my day 3, I am about to do it once I've posted this.

I had my local butchers SW sausages tonight for the 1st time at 1.5 syns for both and got 2 more portions frozen in the freezer, they are scrummy!!!!:eatdrink023: Looking forward to the next time we have them :D

I'm coming down with a bloomin cold now too :cry:, I've barely stopped all day, looking after my neice this morning, running round after my LO and hubby, doing the food shop, going to the butchers, cooking tea, doing all the washing and cleaning and I've washed up 3 yes 3 times today, my hands are so dry I could sand a whole wall with them. I really don't feel like doing day 3 of the shred......I will though and then flop into bed :zz:.....night peeps, hope you have a great friday xxxxx

Hi Vix, Just came across your thread and MY!! havn't you lost a lot of weight, you look fab!!

Sounds like you are a real busy mom and it's a wonder you have managed to stay on course so well.

All the very best to you.....:)

Hi Emmaline, Wow thank you so much, thats just made me :D:D, I do find it tricky staying on track sometimes and I do fall off the wagon occasionally, although I'm trying to make the falls less frequent now I'm focusing on my holiday. You've really made my day. Thank you!!

So I did my day 3 of the shred at 11.30pm last night, and I went to bed and fell STRAIGHT to sleep :woohoo: :zz: the exercise must have tired me out, I usually lie in bed thinking of all the things I have to do the following day for a good couple of hours before I fall asleep.

I've got a pretty quiet day today for a change, just got to finish the washing I didn't get a chance to finish yesterday and wash the bedding, play with my baby and probably go for a walk later. Will fit day 4 of the shred in when Skye goes down for her nap.

Todays food diary:

Brekkie: Scrambled egg and baked beans on toast (HexB) Ketchup (0.5), I can't believe its not butter light (1)

Lunch: Mugshot and apple

Dinner: Chicken wrapped in bacon with SW chips and salad (more salad than chips)

Snacks etc: Strawberries, mullerlight, activia intensely (2.5) Actimel (1.5), Milk in cuppas (HexA)

Total syns: 5.5

Exercise today: Day 4 of 30 day shred, 30 min walk.

Right then, gunna get on with the day, have a good day everyone xxx

Saturday 19th March 2011

:party0048:Wow, today has been a great day!!! The sun has been shining :character00238: which always makes me :D, I did some gardening this morning and we went for a lovely walk at Bradgate park (Lady Jane Grey lived there, the ruins are still there) and I walked up the hills instead of the along the flat path which I usually opt for. :angel09: Hubby was really encouraging, I kept saying I couldn't do it but I did and it felt great.:girlpower: Our daughter even managed to walk most of the way down the hills on the way back and shes only 17 months.We're going to go again tomorrow if the weather is nice.

I've still not done day 5 of the shred yet, hubby said he'll try it with me, he'll find it easy as though cos he's pretty fit. I'm scared he's gunna laugh. I'm sure he won't but I'll still feel so unfit lol.

:party0036:I really want a glass of wine tonight to celebrate a very big deal but I can't use the syns, I might treat myself to an activia intensely instead. A year ago on the 17th our daughter had a colostomy bag reversed, and a year ago today she passed her first stool....I know TMI but she went through a lot in her first 6 months so for it to have been a year since it was all finished is a huge thing here.......I'll explain the circumstances if anyone is interested.....she's ok now, we won't know for sure for a while yet but fingers crossed everything seems ok. :cross:

Anyways enough ramblings, todays food has been:

Brekkie: Weetabix (HexB) and Milk (HexA)

Lunch: fry up with 1 slice of bread (3), scrambled egg, 2 slices bacon fat removed, baked beans and mushrooms, ketchup (1)

Dinner: Home made burgers, Sw chips and salad, extra light mayo (1) and ketchup (1)

Snacks etc: apple, mullerlight, half small bag maltesers (2.5), activia intensely (2.5)

Total syns: 11 - A few more than I wanted but I'm not bothered, I'm celebrating and I've had a good day!!!

Exercise: 1hr 30 mins hilly walk.

(I've decided whist writing this not to do the shred today, I'm feeling really achey and not from exercise, just a bit flu like so I'll do it tomorrow)

I'm going to go catch some :zz: now, got a busy week next week and my mum is round in the morning to help finish my garden (we've not got a mower so borrow hers, and her mowing skills lol) touch wood the weather stays nice.

Night all xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Sunday 20th March 2011

Evening all!

Todays food:

Brekkie: Weetabix (HexB) Milk (HexA)

Lunch: Jacket Potato with Baked beans & salad, I can't believe its not butter light (1)

Dinner: Lemon chicken and bacon salad, mayo (3)

Snacks etc: Mullerlight, apple, strawberries, Mini Milk (1.5)

Total Syns = 5.5

Exercise: 30 day shred and 30 min walk.

*** Achieved week 1 towards my bronze award this week :D***

:character00115: Well I did day 5 of the shred this morning whilst hubby was sleeping on the sofa and Skye was napping upstairs and I could do a lot more than day 4 :D

I then did 2 hours of gardening with my mum and my garden actually looks half decent again. We've also been for a half hour walk this evening so I've kept pretty active this weekend. :eek: I was naughty and got on the scales sneakily this morning though and it says I've sts :confused: I've been almost 100% and done loads of body magic so I'm a bit frustrated, fingers crossed a couple of pounds come off by the morning lol. I'm a bit worried about WI now :eek: Oh well, wish me luck. Gunna get an early night tonight for my body to burn more calories in my sleep haha.....

Nighty night peeps xxxx

Last edited:
Monday 21st March 2011

:woohoo: Weigh in this morning and I lost 1.5lbs woop woop. Not as much as I'd hoped but its the right way. Especially as I'd thought I'd sts yesterday. All that gardening must have done something.

Todays food looks like this:

Breakfast: 2x alpen light bars (HexB)

Lunch: Chicken salad with cottage cheese

Dinner: 2x Chicken Fajitas with 42g of Lowlow cheese (HexA) (14) for fajitas and (2) for mayo.

Snacks etc: Mullerlight, apple, strawberries. Milk in tea (2)

Total Syns = 18. (Ooops)

Exercise today: Nothing. Eeek

My friend has just got here for a cuppa so I'll update everything else later......bye for now xx

Last edited:
Tuesday 22nd March 2011

:eek: Ok, so went slightly over my syns yesterday and did no exercise:booboo:. :( My daughter wasn't well all afternoon and I was absolutely exhausted by the time she went to bed, I had intended to do the shred but I was so tired again. :rolleyes:

Different story today though :D....I managed to do Day 6 of the shred tonight whilst hubby was bathing Skye :character00115: I'm aching already. I'm feeling quite smug now as I'd not got anything planned for tea and was so tempted to ring for pizza (I know the worst thing I could do right?) but had a look through the fridge and decided to try a recipie my mum used to make (kidney and bacon pilaf) but adapted SW style and without kidneys cos they're :yuk: and it was bloomin scrummy!! I'm well chuffed with myself!!

Todays food:

Breakfast: Beans on toast (HexB)

Lunch: 1 left over chicken fajita (7) with 28g cheese (HexA), Light Mayo (2)

Dinner: Bacon and Mushroom Pilaf made with chopped tomatoes, onion and rice

Snacks etc: Alpen light bar (3), mullerlight, remainding HexA milk in cuppas

Total Syns = 12

Exercise today: Day 6 of the Shred :checkmark green:

I start working at next tomorrow in telesales, bit nervous about it as I've not worked properly for nearly 2 years, will be hard getting used to not putting my daughter to bed. Its only for 2 weeks though so will cope.

I'm going to try and plan next weeks meals as red and green and give them a go, anyone got any tips? I've only done extra easy so far......???

Need to get an early night tonight, busy few days ahead. Have a good evening all. xxx

Last edited:
Back