My Journey ... 16th Sept 2013 to 27th May 2014. 8 Months : 9 Stone 4lbs

wow you have done amazing thank you for sharing, I love looking at this pictures really shows if you stick with it, it will work and is worth it

It's definitely worth it :D and in far more ways than just appearance ... life is suddenly about to become much more hectic as my younger daughter starts back at work next week - on night shifts. Which necessitates me being at her house for 6am (she only lives a few doors away thankfully), in time for her OH to be picked up for work at 6.15am so that I can get the Grandchildren up, breakfasted and out of the house to walk the 1/2 mile or so to the childminders to drop the little one off then back down another 1/2 mile or so to drop the older one off to Breakfast Club for 8am, then to work for 8.15.

I would never have been able to do it physically before I lost the weight as my walking speed was so slow and my ankles and knees hurt so much - it's still going to be manic, but at least I'm not worrying about the amount of walking involved (in fact it will help me out a bit with reaching my 10000 steps a day goal lol) :) It feels good to be able to just 'do' physical stuff!

OK ... so after a couple of weeks off plan I have my first, post Christmas, WI tonight which I am not looking forward to lol. What will be will be though and, I've enjoyed every mouthful, so from today I'm back on the healthy eating bus :D

I've been asked by another Mini member to post some of my recipes (all of which are spookily EESP friendly despite my having been using them for the last year) ... so here they are :D

Vegetable Bolognese (Syn Free)

Obviously this can also be made in a ‘meaty’ version – just add extra lean mince at the first stage (ie cook it with the onions and garlic (if you do this then you won’t need the Frylight).

Frylight
2 onions (diced)
3 Peppers (any colour/s, diced)
1 tablespoon ‘Lazy chopped Garlic’ (in jars from supermarket – they keep well in the fridge)
2 Courgettes
2 large carrots (grated)
*Any other ‘firm’ vegetables that you like, diced (ie swede/aubergine/French green beans/butternut squash/celery)
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 carton passata
2 Beef Oxo
2 Tablespoons Worcester Sauce
1 Tablespoon dark soy sauce
Italian Herbs (add to taste – I use about 2 heaped tablespoons)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Spray the bottom of a large saucepan with Frylight, add the garlic and onions and place on a low heat, with saucepan lid on to ‘sweat’ until starting to soften.

Add peppers and courgettes, stir well and repeat ‘sweating for 5 minutes.

Add grated carrots, stir well and repeat ‘sweating’ for 5 minutes

Add other veg, stir well and repeat ‘sweating’ for 5 minutes

Add tomatoes, passata and seasonings and bring to the boil … then turn down to a low heat and simmer, uncovered, for around half an hour or until vegetables are cooked to your taste. Taste as you go and add more seasonings to taste. If the sauce starts to thicken too much then simply add another carton of Passata.

Once the vegetables are cooked you can either serve as it is or add some quorn mince, heat for a further 5 minutes and then serve.

Serve ladled over steamed vegetables, baked butternut squash etc

Freezes well – just ladle single portions into individual freezer bags when cool, pop in the freezer then defrost and re-heat as required

Vegetable Chilli Con Carne (Syn Free)

Obviously this can also be made in a ‘meaty’ version – just add extra lean mince at the first stage (ie cook it with the onions and garlic (if you do this then you won’t need the Frylight).

Frylight
2 onions (diced)
1 tablespoon ‘Lazy chopped Garlic’ (in jars from supermarket – they keep well in the fridge)
2 Teaspoons ‘Lazy chopped Red Chilli’ (in jars from Supermarket – they keep well in the fridge)
2 Courgettes
2 large carrots (grated)
*Any other ‘firm’ vegetables that you like, diced (ie swede/aubergine/French green beans/butternut squash/celery)
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 carton passata
2 Beef Oxo
2 Tablespoons Worcester Sauce
1 Tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 tin Kidney Beans (or Baked Beans if preferred) but you will need to syn or use as HEb if doing Red/EESP ... alternatively substitute with chopped French Green Beans

Spray the bottom of a large saucepan with Frylight, add the garlic, chilli and onions and place on a low heat, with saucepan lid on to ‘sweat’ until starting to soften.

Add grated carrots, stir well and repeat ‘sweating’ for 5 minutes

Add tomatoes, passata, Kidney/Baked Beans and seasonings and bring to the boil … then turn down to a low heat and simmer, uncovered, for around half an hour or until vegetables are cooked to your taste. Taste as you go and add more seasonings to taste. If the sauce starts to thicken too much then simply add another carton of Passata.

Once the vegetables are cooked you can either serve as it is or add some quorn mince, heat for a further 5 minutes and then serve.

Serve ladled over steamed vegetables, baked butternut squash etc

Freezes well – just ladle single portions into individual freezer bags when cool, pop in the freezer then defrost and re-heat as required

Vegetable Curry (Syn Free)

Obviously this can also be made with meat or fish as well – just add diced chicken / pork / beef / lamb/ turkeyat the first stage (ie cook it with the onions and garlic. Alternatively you could add diced firm fish (cod/ haddock etc) and/or prawns at the very end (once the vegetables are cooked) and cook through gently for 5 minutes until cooked but not falling apart.

Frylight
2 onions (diced)
1 Teaspoon ‘Lazy chopped Red Chilli’ (in jars from Supermarket – they keep well in the fridge)
2 Courgettes
2 large carrots (diced)
1 Cauliflower cut into large florets
1 bag Brussels Sprouts (if liked), cut into halves
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 carton passata
1 small can Tomato Puree
1/2 average sized mug boiling water
2 Vegetable Stock Cubes
2 Teaspoons Sharwoods Medium Curry Powder
1 heaped teaspoon Garam Masala (next to the curry powders in the supermarket)
1 Teaspoon Turmeric
1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin

Spray the bottom of a large saucepan with Frylight, add the garlic, chilli and onions and place on a low heat, with saucepan lid on to ‘sweat’ until starting to soften.

Add Curry powder, Garam Masala and Turmeric, stir well and cook on low heat for 5 minutes to release the flavours.

Add carrots, stir well and repeat ‘sweating’ for 5 minutes

Add tomatoes, tomato puree, passata, stock cubes, water and salt/pepper and bring to the boil … then turn down to a low heat and simmer, uncovered, for around half an hour or until vegetables are cooked to your taste. Taste as you go and add more seasonings to taste. If the sauce starts to thicken too much then simply add another carton of Passata.

Once the vegetables are cooked you can either serve as it is or add some quorn ‘chicken’ pieces, heat for a further 5 minutes and then serve.

Serve ladled over cauliflower, baked butternut squash etc

Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables (Syn Free)

Frylight (the Olive Oil one works well for this but ordinary will do)
½ small Butternut Squash cut into chunks (about the size of an unshelled walnut)
1 Aubergine cut into rounds (about 1/2" thick)
1 Courgette cut into ‘sticks’ (1 large courgette will make about 8 sticks)
1 large Onion, cut into wedges (or 3 baby leeks cut into 2 inch lengths)
3 Peppers, de-seeded, and each cut into about 6 pieces
A handful of Cherry Tomatoes
Two Handfuls large button mushrooms cut in half
1 heaped Tablespoon ‘Lazy chopped Garlic’ (in jars from supermarket – they keep well in the fridge)
3 Tablespoons Dried Rosemary
2 Tablespoons Dried Thyme
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper

*You could also add some whole baby sweetcorn, asparagus. baby leeks etc - whatever you fancy really.

Take a large roasting tin and spray evenly with Frylight

Add the garlic, all vegetables and herbs/seasonings to the tin, spray again with Frylight, stir well and put into a hot (180 degree) oven.

Leave for 25 minutes, remove, stir well and put back in oven for a further 10 minutes or so.

Serve

This is lovely served with oven baked fish (buy from Asda fish counter and cook in the sealed brown paper package it is sold in for no ‘fishy’ smell J )

Alternatively it goes well with Linda McCartney Red Onion and Rosemary Sausages (in the freezer aisle) which are also syn free.

Shredded/thinly sliced Low Fat Mozzarella (measured HEa or syn) can be torn up and placed on top of the vegetables for the last 10 minutes of the cooking time.

Oven Baked Ratatouille (Syn Free)

Frylight (the Olive Oil one works well for this but ordinary will do)
½ small Butternut Squash cut into chunks (about the size of an unshelled walnut)
1 Aubergine cut into rounds (about 1/2" thick)
1 Courgette cut into ‘sticks’ (1 large courgette will make about 8 sticks)
1 large Onion, cut into wedges (or 3 baby leeks cut into 2 inch lengths)
3 Peppers, de-seeded, and each cut into about 6 pieces
A handful of Cherry Tomatoes
Two Handfuls large button mushrooms cut in half
1 heaped Tablespoon ‘Lazy chopped Garlic’ (in jars from supermarket – they keep well in the fridge)
3 Tablespoons Dried Rosemary
2 Tablespoons Dried Thyme
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper

For the Tomato Sauce:

Frylight
2 Onions (thinly sliced in half rings)
1 x tin chopped tomatoes
1 carton Passata
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
1/4 teaspoon sugar substitute
½ Teaspoon ground nutmeg
40g/1 1/2 oz fresh basil leaves, finely shredded (I buy one fresh basil plant from the supermarket and use it all)
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Take a large roasting tin and spray evenly with Frylight

Add the garlic, all vegetables and herbs/seasonings to the tin, spray again with Frylight, stir well and put into a hot (180 degree) oven.

While that is cooking … prepare the tomato sauce:

Spray a large non-stick saucepan with Frylight, add the garlic and onions, and ‘sweat’ over a low heat for 5 minutes (lid on the saucepan)

Add the tomatoes, nutmeg, passata, dried basil, oregano, chili flakes and sugar substitute and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened. Stir in the basil leaves and season to taste with the salt and pepper

Remove the vegetables from the oven, pour over the sauce and return to the oven for a further 15 minutes

This is lovely served with omelette or oven baked fish (buy from Asda fish counter and cook in the sealed brown paper package it is sold in for no ‘fishy’ smell J )

Alternatively shredded/thinly sliced Low Fat Mozzarella (measured HEa) can be torn up and placed on top of the sauce covered vegetables for the last 15 minutes of the cooking time.

Tomato Sauce (for Pasta) (Syn Free)

Frylight
2 Onions (thinly sliced in half rings)
1 x tin chopped tomatoes
1 carton Passata
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
1/4 teaspoon sugar substitute
½ Teaspoon ground nutmeg
40g/1 1/2 oz fresh basil leaves, finely shredded (I buy one fresh basil plant from the supermarket and use it all)
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Spray a large non-stick saucepan with Frylight, add the garlic and onions, and ‘sweat’ over a low heat for 5 minutes (lid on the saucepan)

Add the tomatoes, nutmeg, passata, dried basil, oregano, chili flakes and sugar substitute and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened. Stir in the basil leaves and season to taste with the salt and pepper

Yoganaise (Syn Free)

1 (small) tub Fat Free Natural Greek Yoghurt (check that the one you buy is syn free – I use Asda ‘Chosen By You’, which is)
1/4 teaspoon Cider Vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Yellow Mustard Powder
1/2 teaspoon Hot Pepper Sauce
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
1 Teaspoon sweetener (I use a single Sweetex tablet and stir well)
Salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well – add more seasonings to taste J

Keeps in a jar in the fridge for a few days and can be used for just about anything that you would use mayonnaise for, but particularly nice when used as a base for potato salad/ pasta salads or with a mixture of tinned tuna, chopped peppers and sweetcorn as a jacket potato filling.

Alternatively can be used in this lovely crunchy:

Fruity Coleslaw (Syn Free)

1 x Yoganaise recipe

1 x Red Onion, finely sliced in half rings
1/4 Cabbage (red or white) finely shredded
1 large carrot, grated

(I cheat and buy ready prepared Coleslaw mix – no dressing – from the supermarket)

2 sticks celery (if liked), chopped/diced
1 red pepper, diced
Handful of grapes, sliced in half
1 Apple, cored and diced

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, stir well and serve (with whatever you fancy)

Mock Smoked Mackerel Pate (2 Syns for the lot – 1 syn per portion)

1/2 tub of quark
1 can of John West kippers in brine
The juice of 1/2 a small lemon
2 teaspoons of sweetener
1 tablespoon of dried or fresh (chopped) dill
I tablespoon horseradish
salt & pepper to taste.

Drain the kippers, reserving 1 tablespoon of brine and then give them a thorough whizz with/in a blender until smooth.

Simply mix all ingredients together well and serve ... either as a canape on cucumber/ gem lettuce leaves/ celery stalks etc or melba toast or use as a filling for jacket potatoes

Quick Kipper & Vegetable Risotto (FREE on EE or 1 syn per portion if using ready-cooked rice Serves 2/3)
I large Onion, diced
1 Tablespoon lazy chopped Garlic (or 2 crushed, fresh cloves)
1 large carrot, grated
1 Leek, sliced into ½ inch rings
1 red pepper, de-seeded and diced
1 green pepper de-seeded and diced
1 large courgette, sliced into ¼ inch circles and then into semi circles
½ head of broccoli split into florets about the size of a walnut
250g cooked brown rice (or use Tild pre-cooked for speed if you can spare the syns)
1 Fish Stock Pot
1 tin John West Kippers in Brine
Salt and pepper to taste

Put rice in a saucepan to cook before preparing vegetables

Put 1 ½ inches water into a large saucepan, add stock pot and place on a low heat until stock pot has melted.

When stock pot is fully dissolved, turn up heat until boiling add all veg except broccoli and courgette, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes or.
Add courgette & broccoli, re-cover and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Drain all but 1/4 inch of water and add cooked rice, half the brine from the tinned kipper and the kipper itself.
Break up rice & kipper, mix well, cover and place back on a low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
Season to taste Drain any excess water (there often isn't any) and serve with a small side salad or on a bed of watercress and cherry tomatoes if liked.
This also freezes well but you must freeze asap after cooking.

Tomato and Onion Salad (Syn Free)

2 large Beef Tomatoes
1 large red onion
1 tablespoon chopped ‘Lazy Garlic’
Balsamic Vinegar (it’s worth using the best balsamic that you can afford)
Salt and pepper to taste

Thinly slice the Tomatoes (hold on their sides and cut across the width of them so that the ‘core’ is in the middle of your slices)

Thinly slice the red onion in the same way – to make rings.

Separate the onion slices into rings and place a layer (aim for using about a third of the total) in the bottom of a shallow serving or casserole dish.

Cover with a layer of single tomato slices (again about a third)

Scatter 1/3 of garlic on top, season with salt and pepper and repeat until everything is in the dish.

Drizzle generously with balsamic vinegar, cover with cling film and allow to sit for at least an hour (preferably two) before serving.

This also keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days, but the flavour is better if it’s served at room temperature, so be sure to remove it a couple of hours before you want to serve it.

Works well as part of a salad, or as a ‘side’ with baked Butternut Squash filled with chilli / bolognaise. Oh heck, who I am kidding? – it’s delicious served on it’s own or with just about anything!

Jacket Butternut Squash

1 Butternut Squash

Stab well with a small sharp knife (just like you would a jacket potato)

Place in an oven dish/ roasting tin and put in to a hot oven( 180 degrees)

Bake for approximately an hour to an hour and a half – depending on the size of the squash.

Once the outer skin is a darkish golden brown and juices are visible in the pan, give it a squeeze – it should feel ‘squishy’ when done.

Remove from oven, cut in half lengthways and scoop out the seeds

Fill the resulting ‘hollow’ with bolognaise / chilli / curry / savoury mince and serve (the skin can be eaten if liked)

This is also a really easy way to do butternut squash ‘mash’ without having to chop and peel – just scoop out the cooked flesh and mash in a bowl – no need for butter as it’s moist enough already. Makes a lovely topping for cottage pie.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Good luck on weigh in tonight! Such an amazing transformation in just 8/9 months, wow!

I seem to be sounding like a broken record on some threads here, but what was your exercise like? Did you do it often too, and do it from day one?

Good luck on weigh in tonight! Such an amazing transformation in just 8/9 months, wow!

I seem to be sounding like a broken record on some threads here, but what was your exercise like? Did you do it often too, and do it from day one?

WI tonight wasn't as bad as I'd feared ... it was bad in the sense of how much I gained LOL, but OK in that it took me to slap bang on target. I'll now look to lose my 3lb lower end window and then maybe a lb or two after that, but I'll play it by ear - I was starting to look very gaunt at my lowest before Christmas and I'm not sure I want to go that low again. When the local paper publishes a story about your weight loss and has your age at 67 (I'm 49) without anyone involved in the typesetting looking at the accompanying photo and thinking 'hang on a minute, we must have her age wrong' then it's time to admit that a BMI of 20 at my age isn't a good look ;) lol

Anyway ... as to exercise. Ummm - I didn't really do any. No - I literally didn't do any. I walk everywhere, but I always did and by 'everywhere' I mean to work and back - which is 3 streets away :8855: I wear a pedometer and average about 5000 steps a day. Towards the end of my weight loss (for about the last stone) I did make a concerted effort to make that over 10000 a day but phased it out when I found myself dropping lower and lower below target despite adding in healthy foods. I'm just basically lazy I'm afraid and exercise for the sake of it just bores me ... I spend the whole time thinking of all the other things I could be doing (I have a ton of hobbies) and thus resenting the time spent doing it. It was never going to be something I could maintain for life, so it seemed pointless to even start :ashamed0005:

That's a relief then! I bet most of what you've put on will be water weight anyway due to all the yummy Christmas junk, aha.

I've never seen a weight loss as big as yours all done with no exercise, wow! I'm also lazy, and apart from walks/brisk walks, I'm putting off more intensive exercise for a little while.

My thinking too was that so many people seemed to report stalling of weight loss once they started exercise - mainly from water retention - and there was never a point where I wanted to 'bite the bullet' and suck up a maintain/ gain. I just kept kind of putting it off until I felt I had no choice because my losses had slowed down or stopped anyway and that never happened.

As my husband pointed out, unless the exercise really is going to be something that you do regularly and are prepared to do forever, there isn't much point in starting, because all that happens is that you will pay the price weight wise when it inevitably tails off. In my case there is nothing on this earth that is going to turn me into a gym bunny or runner, so why kid myself ;)

All kudos to those who do find that they love exercise and get a real buzz from it - but it isn't necessary for weight loss per se (which is really good news for those with limited mobility :D as well as those of us who really can't be a*sed ;) )

Huge well done on your fab results and your willpower snd motivation. That is a great result and to keep it off is great. You are right to look at it as a lifestyle change and i think that is where i have gone wrong so many times. I keep going back to old bad ways. I am embracing slimming world this week after trying and failing to stay on shakes only for 2 weeks. I am trying to get my head to look at this as a lifestyle change and not a quick fix.
Loving the look of the SP plan and your recipes look great, will defo try some of them. Can i ask did you have any alcohol for syns during the plan xx. I am not a big drinker but do like to socialise on a weekend now and again x

Hi Martine :) Thanks for posting and Good Luck :D I'm actually a non drinker I'm afraid (I like it but it doesn't like me - one glass of wine and I'm literally asleep in the corner so it doesn't work for socialising lol). The thing I have noticed with alcohol amongst my SW following friends who do drink is that it has a knock on effect... it's not the (synned) alcohol that does the damage as much as the lowering of inhibitions that goes with it. They allow for the alcohol, but then once they've had it they seem more likely to go off the rails food wise because it increases the appetite and spikes blood sugars :(

Everyone is different though, so try it within your syns and see how you go :D For me that's the beauty of SW - being able to tailor it to your own lifestyle and psyche so that it's sustainable long term. xx

Thanks Molly. I think your right its the lowering of will power that alcohol brings that is a bummer at times lol xx. Will just have to try and stick to sins and reign back in if go a bit over. Good day today only used a couple sins and pot of soup ready for tomorrow. xx

MollyMolly

Just started and you are now my inspiration! And thank you for posting the veggie recipes. I know it's an old thread but thanks anyway.

Back