My management journey

Monday 30th October

The owners of the horse still haven't called me about the loan agreement. The suspense is killing me and I don't think this is going to come off. At least if I think like that then I won't be disappointed. I need to know one way or the other so I can end this.

Today was a special day because it was my daughter’s first full time day at school and it was my hubby’s birthday. He had the day off so we took our daughter to school and then went to a wholesaler and then to Tesco for breakfast and then Chichester to look at clothes for him and then to Asda and on to pick our daughter up again. It was lovely to get the day together but today was the worst day ever for the diet so I have some serious sacrifices to make over the coming days to make up for my choices yesterday and especially for today. With hubby back at work and my daughter at school this shouldn’t be a problem.

I had LL chocolate porridge, 1 apple, a cooked brunch consisting of a sausage, fried egg, black pudding, tinned tomatoes and a hash brown (I was pleased that I limited myself to 1 bit of each and didn’t have mushrooms, bacon, toast, scrambled egg with the hidden fat, baked beans – I could have really gone to town so my damage limitation at this meal was good), 1 custard slice, 1 slice of birthday cake. Then we went Harvester and had a bread roll sized plate of salad which sounds good until I list what this consisted of! One slice of new potato (not on my management plan for another 2 weeks but only had a slice rather than a whole one), onion sprinkles, croutons, blue cheese dressing (only a small amount but still shouldn’t have had any), sweet corn, red pepper, cucumber, a baby tomato. At least it wasn’t a piled up salad bowl full so although the choices were not the best, the plate was a good choice. Main course was a southern style platter to share which was laden with fatty meat carbs and fried food with soured cream dip. I didn’t have the chips and I left loads of everything too so it could have been worse but it could have been better too. To finish I had a Rocky Horror which is a bottom layer of warm chocolate fudge cake with fudge sauce with vanilla ice cream on top of that and squirty cream on top of that. I ate the lot with no thoughts of leaving any. I tried to get my daughter or hubby to share but they wanted different things and I am incapable of leaving anything sweet or chocolaty. I also had an Irish coffee which was disappointing after the ones I had Saturday. Even though I consciously ate far less of everything than I would have done pre LL, I still got it majorly wrong and feel like I am about to explode. Comparing my amounts consumed to what I would have eaten pre LL is no consolation because the fact remains that not only did I over eat but I over ate to such an extent that I hurt, I am actually in pain.

I have still to learn my new limits. If I choose to over eat then that is one thing but this is the second time in 2 days that I have eaten so much that I am in pain. Being in pain has marred the memories of my meal and it’s about time I worked out how much I can eat without feeling uncomfortable let alone ill and before I have done the deed because this just isn’t funny. There’s no 2 ways about it I need to go back on the wagon for at least the next 5 days to make up for the last 2 days worth of food choices. I think I will weigh myself daily again until I am back to where I want to be. This has been the start of normal life and now I need to balance these choices with some good ones until I have earnt the right to stray again. I am not looking forward to my weigh in tomorrow. I wasn’t going to go the the management meeting tomorrow because I have loads of packs left and could do with saving the money this week but I KNOW that I need to go this week. If I had made consistent choices this week then I would have given it a miss but given the last couple of days this is going to be my most important meeting so far. I don’t regret the content of the choices I made but I just wish I could wave my magic wand and know what quantities I can have.

Is food a treat? Right now I’d say no. It is a form of torture because I feel very ill. If I was going to be sick then at least that would empty a bit out because the sheer volume of food is hurting me but I don’t do bulimia and want to face the consequences of my choices even though this will be tough. I just want to get the food balance right in my life but it is going to take a lot of practice. I have some serious lessons to learning to take responsibility for yourself isn’t easy.

Morning weight: Didn’t weigh in today
Activity: Walking round all day with hubby
Water: 2 litres
I completed the LL homework: Nothing except diary
I stuck to the listed food and quantity: Not a hope
Day 37 of the route to management completed.

Tuesday 31st October

How of you reading this would consider the choices I made over the past couple of days to be failure if you were in the position I am in? I bet it would be loads of you. We are our own worst critics and I used to feel exactly the same. I don’t now because LL has changed my outlook on life and given me the tools to see things in context.

Today was the first day of compensating for the choices I made yesterday. If I had eaten the same choices as I did yesterday but less of them then I wouldn’t need to be compromising for so long. It is my aim to be in the lower end of 10st 6lbs again as 10st 6lbs is my ‘anchor’ weight and well within my comfort zone and only after I have reached that will I cut myself a bit more slack. My memories of the evening wouldn’t have been overtaken by being in that self inflicted pain if I had been aware of the limits of my new body. When put down in black and white like this, why I why on earth did I do it? Quite simply I do not regret my choice of foods but I do regret the amounts that I consumed of each. I need to learn how to be more in tune with my body so that I can enjoy the food more. That will come in time and in the meantime I make sacrifices to pay for the food I ate.

Today was a bit of a weird one. I weighed less than I thought I was going to because I hadn’t done a poo (made up for that sonce!) and still felt very full from last nights meal. I went to my LL meeting knowing that the first time that you feel you want to miss a meeting then that is the one you most need to go to. I told my LL counsellor about last night and she said it was a positive experience because I have learnt so much through it. I have decided that I am not going to order anymore meals where you share because both times I have done so I have overeaten in a big way and I have no way of knowing exactly how much I actually ate. With a fixed portion meal I can assess the plate before eating and decide how much I need to leave. I was actually looking forward to the LL meeting in order to help me refocus on my diet and to get the 3rd CD, but just after I was weighed my phone went and I had to rush off to take my dad to hospital because he had a suspected broken toe.

Today was a real turning point in my life. It was the day where I left the rest of the chocolate birthday cake in the fridge and didn’t touch even a crumb. It was also the night where I controlled my urge to eat in the evening, I finished my dinner by 6pm and didn’t eat anything after that which I can’t begin to explain how chuffed I am at! Today is the day where I have been able to practice making sensible choices to attain that balance required to redress the choices I made last night. Today I have actually been actively managing my weight just as I need to do for the rest of my life. Last night and today reflects being normal and exercising control so that I can be a skilled weight holder for the rest of my life. Monitoring and adjustment are my watchwords for life and are achievable. I just need to gets things right for enough of the time so that my weight remains in my 3lb comfort zone.

I ate 400grms of strawberries, 100grms of snap peas, grilled mushroom, green pepper, courgette, leek with cucumber, beetroot and a homemade yoghurt and mustard dip, homemade chicken and veg curry on a baked sweet potato, LL biscuits.

Morning weight: 10st 8.6lbs
Activity: None to speak of
Water: 4 litres
I completed the LL homework: Listened to the first CD again.
I stuck to the listed food and quantity: No, I didn’t have any LL packs.
Day 38 of the route to management completed.

Tuesday 31st October

How of you reading this would consider the choices I made over the past couple of days to be failure if you were in the position I am in?

Today was a real turning point in my life. It was the day where I left the rest of the chocolate birthday cake in the fridge and didn’t touch even a crumb. It was also the night where I controlled my urge to eat in the evening, I finished my dinner by 6pm and didn’t eat anything after that which I can’t begin to explain how chuffed I am at!

Well I don't think you are a failure because of the choices you made - look how far you have come in such a short time!

You are completely right to cut back now to compensate - that is what most slim people would do and that is what weight management is all about.

You are doing incredibly well.

Congratulations on leaving the chocolate cake but more so for not snacking in the evenings. It is such a bad diet time, I hate evenings, it really has the potential of going to pot and is something I work so hard to control.

That is one of the reasons I want to join a gym - I am hoping that by removing myself from home (and temptation) will be part of the battle.

Sorry chicken I am going potty, I just posted my days events on your thread. That'll confuse everyone.

I have just deleted it incase you are wondering!

Wednesday 1st November

My weight is back to normal again today but I need to continue maintaining my weight and then get back on the wagon for Friday and Saturday. I have a bonfire night BBQ to go to on Sunday so I want to eat sensibly in preparation for that so that no adjustments are needed afterwards.

I am still really pleased with myself for not eating after 6pm last night. In fact I can’t quite believe I managed it. That was a massive step forward for me and one I have sought to emulate tonight.

Today was the first proper day I had to myself as my daughter was at school full time and hubby at work so I caught up on the washing and ironing and the housework. Now I have the house up together I can go down the stables or concentrate on doing some really satisfying jobs where you can actually see the results like the decorating. I know how to live the high life!

Today for my breakfast I had a smoothie made from apple juice, natural yoghurt, milk, banana, strawberries and vanilla extract. I felt so cold and got a bit peckish during the early part of the morning after dropping my daughter at school but I had a hot drink instead of something to eat and then went shopping to get me out of the house. I have always been a water drinker in the past so using a hot drink in these situations is a new weapon in my armoury rather than turning to food. I had an apple for elevenses but this was a mistake, I should have had something more substantial. I was hungry whilst shopping and when I got back I ate 400grms of steak cooked rare (I’m back to craving red meat around TOTM again, must look into taking some iron supplements to see if this helps to combat it) and a huge amount of birthday cake, at least I left some and did not pick at any of the trick or treat goodies my daughter bought home from a Halloween themed birthday party yesterday. I took dinner ingredients to my dad’s so that I could eat something healthy whilst I was there because they live on processed rubbish which I was not happy about eating even pre LL. Dinner was lemon chicken, baked sweet potato (I’m a bit addicted now to this now and it’s easy to cook) and fresh broccoli which I ate at just after 4pm so it combated the sugar low I would have been experiencing due to the chocolate cake. Once again I didn’t eat anything else after my dinner and the evening was actually a breeze despite the fact that my daughter was in bed by 7pm and my hubby was out all evening on his motorbike. This would normally have been a trigger for the boredom eating to creep in but my chatterbox appears to have taken the night off!

Contrary to previous beliefs, it appears that eating earlier in the evening rather than later in the evening in the hope that the full feeling would stop the craving for food is working. I don’t know why but it is a shame because if this experiment continues to work then I won’t be eating with my hubby but on the plus side I will be eating with my daughter.

Morning weight: 10st 6.6lbs
Activity: Walked to and from school twice.
I completed the LL homework: Listened to the first CD again and read through some of the management and recipe books.
I stuck to the listed food and quantity: No, I had a vast quantity of birthday cake and no LL packs.
Day 39 of the route to management completed.

Thursday 2nd November

I am really delighted that last night went so well. There was no sign of my chatterbox and I am hoping that if I can eat early every day then I won’t be plagued with the food demons in the evening.

I decided to go down the stables for a good portion of the day. It will get me out of harms way at home, provide some exercise and it has been so long since I last rode and I felt so happy when I was down there yesterday that I felt the boost would do me good.

I am due to start my week 7 on Saturday which is beans and pulses. I’m not too fussed because I have been having snap peas anyway and beans might be nice with my weekend brunch and kidney beans in chilli con carne but apart from that I am not overly excited. Week 8 is the one which will make a difference to my meals with the starchy staples being allowed like rice and pasta. I don’t think I will be in a rush to introduce potatoes back onto the menu because I have now discovered sweet potato. My trigger foods won’t be introduced until weeks 10, 11 and 12 with bread, cheese and chocolate playing a part. Then I might be in trouble and my counsellor will really need to earn her money!

Morning weight: 10st 7lbs
Activity: walked to and from school twice
I completed the LL homework:
I stuck to the listed food and quantity: Didn’t have any LL food packs
Day 40 of the route to management completed.

Friday 3rd November

I am writing this Saturday morning whilst nursing a hangover as yesterday was a bit of a wash out diet wise!

What a day it has been today. I am the new mum of Joy as from Monday and am very excited about it so I got drunk and ate loads of things I shouldn’t have done as a consequence!

I had 2 shredded wheat, apple, fun sized mars bar (which weirdly was enough for me), vegetable stir fry, bottle of Bailey’s, 2 slices of bread and butter one of which had marmite on the and other had peanut butter & jam and a grilled turkey breast. It felt worse than that yesterday and unless I have forgotten something then that’s not as bad as it felt although my maths isn’t able to stretch to how many calories are in a bottle of Bailey’s!

Morning weight: 10st 6.4lbs
Activity: walked to a from school twice
I completed the LL homework: nope
I stuck to the listed food and quantity: nope
Day 41 of the route to management completed.

What a day it has been today. I am the new mum of Joy as from Monday and am very excited about it so I got drunk and ate loads of things I shouldn’t have done as a consequence!

bottle of Bailey’s, [/quote]

Wooooohoooo, congratulations for Joy, I know how much you wanted that you must be over the moon.

I didn't think you did too badly until you hid the bottle of baileys in the middle of that food list!

God I miss Baileys it was my favourite drink!

You are soooooo right as usual :D

The Bailey's weakend my resolve and the bread crpt in which is the one thing I didn't want to touch before it is a trigger for me. 1 slice would have been enough so I doubled my intake but having said that I would have had at least 4 slices and more like 1/2 a loaf but I didn't need to exercise self control to stop at 2 :eek: :D

I am feeling better after my wooly head from the Bailey's especially since I have spent about £100 on horsey bits today :eek: Mind you a load of that was on books and they are books and don't class as horsey bits do they!

Sunday 5th November

I am too close to the top end of my comfort weight than I would like to be given what I ate this evening. I know the top end limit is 10st 8lbs but I like being under 10 ½ stone so I am going to be careful to get myself back into the 10st 5’s again this coming week.

Tonight was the fireworks party. The party didn’t start until 7pm and so I would normally have eaten my dinner by this time. I had a cooked breakfast for lunch and wasn’t that hungry in the early part of the evening otherwise I would have had something to eat before I went for damage limitation purposes. I overate at the party but not majorly on the sweet stuff which is one thing at least. I am not pleased at the way the evening went food wise because the quantity I ate as it means I have to make more allowances during the next few days than I would have liked. I did manage to stay away from the dips n chips which is a bloody good job otherwise there would have been none left for anyone else!

Today I ate 2 weetabix, apple, lunch was a sausage, rasher of bacon, beans, mushrooms and an egg, I skipped the cake that hubby and daughter had mid afternoon when we went out. At the BBQ I had a burger, a cheese burger, 6 toasted marshmallows, 2 mince pies (which I have discovered I now like having hated them for 33 years!) and a large bowl containing cottage pie, beef stew and some noodles. That’s loads I have eaten today so I have a lot of making up for today’s choices to do over the next few days. At least now I have Joy I will be riding 4 times a week so I will be getting more exercise.

Morning weight: 10st 6.8lbs
Activity: None to speak of. Roll on Tuesday for horse riding.
I completed the LL homework: Nope!
I stuck to the listed food and quantity: Nope!
Day 43 of the route to management completed.

Monday 6th November

I’m back on the diet wagon as of today. I am really unhappy with the quantity of food I ate last night and am very disappointed in myself. Still there’s no point dwelling on it I just need to make good choices until I am back to where I want to be but this could take a while given the week I have just had! Mind you I don’t have any social events coming up for a while and hubby is away in Italy again this week so going back on the wagon should be relatively easy for the next 4 days. I do have a problem coping well with social events so it’s a bloody good job we don’t go to that many on the whole.

Today I ate a breakfast of ready oats (which I mistook for porridge oats but is actually ready break), a banana, mashed sweet potato, half a tin of beans and tuna mayo (tuna mixed with natural yoghurt with pepper and Worcestershire sauce, homemade chilli con carne on a bed of French beans. Eating hearty hot food is keeping me on the straight and narrow because I would have felt hungry today otherwise because whilst I was at the stables it was only 3 degrees! I’m pleased with today’s choices and the amounts consumed.

It was my first morning with Joy today. I didn’t ride because Monday is her day of rest. I went out to the field and eventually found her. The field was massive, in 2 halves, and there were at least 20 horses in there but worse than that it was very foggy so I had to keep walking round the perimeter until she came into view. I wanted to get to know where things were in the yard and the protocol for sharing the facilities in the hope that I don’t inadvertently piss anyone off without realising it. I am more nervous about fitting into yard life and making sure I don’t annoy anyone than I am about any other aspect of having Joy. It’s my age old demon, lack of self confidence which has been rearing its’ ugly head again.

I took the opportunity to have a bit of a walk round the farm to check out the hacking. I am feeling a lot more confident after today and am calmer about my first ride on my own tomorrow.

I spent the afternoon doing the housework I would normally have done in the morning and after I picked Esme up from school we did the 12 mile drive back towards the stables to buy the rubber bucket as I am going to be pushed for time tomorrow morning. When I got back from there I made dinner and then sat down and ate it which then took me to 6.30pm. My days are certainly going to be busy from now on which at least gets me fitter and keeps me away from the fridge.

Morning weight: Didn’t weigh in today
Activity: Loads of walking
I completed the LL homework: No
I stuck to the listed food and quantity: Except for breakfast and no packs.
Day 44 of the route to management completed.

Chicken

You have said yourself this is all about pushing our limits and finding out what works and what doesn't work. You are doing fine, you over-ate and now you are compensating - it is all about finding a balance and it was a special night last night.

Your exercise tomorrow will help no end.

Thanks flopster. I really appreciate your support :D

One thing I realise is that maintaining weight isn't about staying exactly the same, it is about staying within the comfort boundaries you set yourself (3lbs leeway in my case) and I am able to do that despite having more food than needed or making unplaned choices so I am happy with the way this is going. Having that comfort zone makes me more relaxed about the whole weight issue without being blasse but cutting myself enough slack so that I don't put a downer on myself.

I am managing to do that very well with the aid of my scales so I'm not that bothered by my choices but it would help me to get to understand why I do what I do and so how to apply more control if needed in the future. I still maintain that doing the head work is what counts and this is even truer on the management stage for me.

At the moment, maintaining my weight hasn't been a problem because life is good but the better I understand myself the easier it will be in the tough times when I will need to draw on all my will power and tricks to pull me through.

I'm trying to build up my knowledge of myself for future use because I know that life will get harder again at sometime in the future and the more I can learn in the good times to prevent surcoming to the draw of food the better. :)

Tuesday 7th November

I weighed in at 10st 6.2lbs this morning which is fine but I think I might adjust my upper weight limit down from 10st 8lbs to 10st 7lbs so that I aim to always be under 10 ½ stone. I’ll make sensible choices for another day or 2 to bring my weight to the 10st 4-5’s. Riding 4 times a week will tone me up and build muscle which might actually mean that I lose the fat but hold my weight and actually get smaller. I still have about ½ stone of obvious fat that can be lost on my stomach and thighs but as I build muscle and lose the fat I will probably hold my weight, lose the fat but be smaller because muscle is denser than fat. I see what happens over the next month or so because this is something where I’ll just have to wait and see.

Today I missed my LL meeting in order to get down the stables for a ride on Joy before my riding lesson. (As it was it didn’t work out like that. At this point I have cut out loads of horsey stuff but will paste that in pets corner).

I had a bowl of Ready Break for breakfast and having taken my daughter to school I spent all morning down the stables. It wasn’t until I got back to my car again that I realised that I hadn’t had anything to drink all morning and I had forgotten to bring some fruit out with me, I even forgot to drink before leaving the house and I had the most stonking headache as a result. I drank down a pint straight away at 1.30pm when I got in and then made a small stir fry of baby sweet corn, mange tout and asparagus with 2 slices of turkey ham all in oyster sauce. I ate and tried to savour 2 chocolate coins with no thought of wanting more, in fact I wasn’t overly fussed about them. I just had time to eat, shower and then update my blog before I had to go and pick my daughter up from school. I then had an hour to spend time with her, get her fed and then back out to go to her swimming lesson. I had 1 ½ apples then. When we got back I had yoghurt topped jelly and had ¾ hour to prepare dinner and knock up a marinade for tomorrow’s dinner before hubby’s dad came round at 6.30pm. He left again at 7.30pm which then left me to cook and eat my dinner (chilli con carne, baked sweet potato, cauliflower, broccoli, peas and French beans with a spoonful of yoghurt for the potato) and to chat with my hubby and do some time doing some ironing and housework, then it was bed time again. I am so busy all the time now so there is going to be no time to think about food!

Morning weight: 10st 6.2lbs
Activity: 2 hours riding and some fairly vigorous grooming.
Water: Very inconsistent but still 4 litres
I completed the LL homework: No
I stuck to the listed food and quantity: Except for 2 chocolate coins, breakfast and no packs.
Day 45 of the route to management completed.

Wednesday 8th November

Today was a bit mad. I managed to fall off my horse at the canter when she spooked at a bird flying out of the hedgerow in front of us and the reins broke. My shoulder is bruised but nothing serious. I’m a bit peeved about it because the reins did look very tatty and I had asked one of the grooms where the saddle soap was because I was intending to take apart and clean the tack on the first day it rained. I should have been more on the ball and done this from the start. Oh well, can’t be helped now and I have a new pair of reins and the rest of the tack seems fine. When I’d finished at the stables I went to my friend’s yard and then left there just in time to get back and pick my daughter up. I had 10 mins to spare so I was able to nip home, get changed and gather a sweet potato, some veg and chicken. Having picked my daughter up we went straight to my dads and I cooked my own dinner there. I got home and put my daughter to bed and made up half a pint of custard and poured it onto a sliced banana layered with 50grms of milk chocolate so it all melted in. It was delicious. I was in bed my 9.30pm because I was knackered!

I ate a bowl of ready break with some seeds mixed through, 2 banana’s, ½ an apple (the horse ate the other half, a baked sweet potato, 2 chicken drumsticks, broccoli, cauliflower and a bowl of custard or sliced banana and milk chocolate.

Morning weight: 10st 6.4lbs
Activity: 1 ½ hours of riding
Water: 2.5 litres
I completed the LL homework: nothing other than my diary
I stuck to the listed food and quantity: Except for breakfast, milk chocolate and no packs.
Day 46 of the route to management completed.

Thursday 9th November

My shoulder is still sore this morning but not very painful compared to all down the insides of my legs which are killing me form all the riding. I took my daughter into school and then went to the hairdressers because I thought I had an appointment at 9am. It turns out I got the date wrong and it is on Saturday morning! From there I went to the sorting office and picked up a package which was yet another horsy book. Then I went down the town to put the money into Joy’s owner’s bank account for this month only to find that I had forgotten to write down the sort code so I couldn’t do that. I then drove straight down the stables feeling very cold and fed up. I walked into the barn and looked at the board and Joy was not being used until 4pm so I decided that rather than use her this morning what with my shoulder and legs still being sore and the fact that they would probably want her kept in after I had tidied her up, I gave it a miss and drove home again. On the way home I went shopping. The morning was a complete wash out and I felt depressed. I still felt very tired despite having got a good and long night’s sleep so I cooked up a steamed veg ‘stir fry’ to go with my steak and ate that and then went in the bath I had run using the shower. This afternoon I hit my first emotional binge when I got out of the bath. I ate a bag of chocolate coins 75grms, 2 ½ pieces of bread made into peanut better and jam (very thickly spread but no butter) sandwiches, 4 slices of turkey ham and a load of banana cake that my daughter and I made when she got in from school then I went round to my mums.

My day has been crap. I had feelings of self doubt and felt very anxious after my fall off Joy yesterday. By the afternoon I had determined that walking away from the stable was just me using any little excuse not to go and face up to people and Joy herself and I felt ashamed and saddened by this. Lack of confidence is my biggest demon and I had allowed myself to be the victim of it again. I know from experience that the longer I allow things to fester, the harder they get to face up to and by walking away today I had reduced my chances of being able to face my biggest demon and I might lose Joy altogether because of my age old demon and having so much time in the saddle and a chance to learn how to care for her properly is a dream come true but I was ballsing up something I care deeply about just as I have always done in my life. I am so depressed that I have failed again.

Today I ate a bowl of shreddies (which didn’t fill keep me going so I won’t be having those again as I had to have an early lunch), stir fried veg and steak, 40grms of raisins, a bag of chocolate coins 75grms, 2 ½ pieces of bread made into peanut better and jam (very thickly spread but no butter) sandwiches, 4 slices of turkey ham, and a load of banana cake.

I am really missing my baths. I can’t wait until we get the boiler fixed because I am not a showers girl at all and running a bath using the shower takes forever and it doesn’t get hot enough for me. I need my baths to relax.

Morning weight: 10st 7lbs
Activity: Nothing to speak of
Water: 3 litres
I completed the LL homework: Nothing except for my diary.
I stuck to the listed food and quantity: Except for breakfast and no packs, yes.
Day 47 of the route to management completed.

Hi Chicken
I was reading your thread because having lost 8stone on CD I started maintenance 10 days ago.
It is hard but worthwhile & I too know that this is the hard part.
I was just wondering why you stopped posting - I'm sure I'll struggle when my body comes out of ketosis but eating is a struggle! Never dreamed I would write that down!
Can't quite believe that I'mm struggling to finish small portions.
I'm doing 790 at the start for 2-3 weeks as I've been on CD for 10 months & my body systems
icon5.gif
seem to be struggling to cope.
Anyway hope you are OK & congrats on doing so well so far.
WPx

Back