My mission to be a Princess

awwww...I cant be an inspiration... I'm the rubbish one who can't seem to stick to it at weekends lol but it's a lovely compliment thank you :)

I know those pictures keep me motivated too! By the end of Feb I'm hoping to be a little bit smaller than my after picture but we shall see :)

Have all your headaches and sickness gone now? x x x

Well done Katy - half a stone in two weeks is brill I'd be really happy to have that loss as I go forward!! xxx

Me too scotty....

Yeah Katy, my headaches and dizziness are draining away. I tend t get a bit headachy at work anyway, our office has no fresh air so that's what does it I think. We also only have about 20-30 break on a 10 -12 hour shift. Apparently it's legal but it is ridiulous! Oh and they are unpaid so have to work an extra half hour to get the half hour break.

And yes you are inspirational because you've lost all that weight already!! Don't sell yourself short girl! xxxx

That's ridiculous break wise!! I'm pretty sure that isn't legal!! I mean it's legal to have it unpaid but not to only give you that amount of time. I'm sure you're entitled to at least an hour!!

Ah thanks girlies :) You've made me feel really good!!

xx

You're doing great Katy! Maybe this an age thing, but I like the fact that the fat on the inside is disappearing too. That helps keep me going! All that nasty stuff around the important organs is fast melting away for us all. Even the bits no one sees - Brilliant!

Tara - your breaks do not sound legal!! There is such a thing as the European Working Time Regulations!! Check it out! xx

Breakwise when I ran pubs you had to have a break every 4 hours.

For free legal advice regarding anything work related you can contact ACAS who will tell you how it should be and what to do to change things.

Its ridiculous isn't it! I have no end of complaints about my job. We've not a penny pay rise in three years, not even to match minimin wage increase and we are making massive profits.

Also most of us were taken on as receptionists but when secretary left they left the work to us to do, theres a couple of us now doing all the centre admin and not getting paid a penny more for it.

Sick of the place. But there are so few jobs. Also starting my psych degree in sept so will hopefully drop to part time and just do two days a week. Not so much of a headache then! x

That makes me so angry! They can't pay you less than the minimum wage thats definitely illegal - think you should call the CAB or ACAS as suggested. But I know what you mean - its a job and they are hard to come by. The minimum wage thing is ridiculous though. xx

ahhh no, think I mislead you. I get paid above minimin wage but have been on that pay for three financial years, usually in other jobs, I would have had a rise with the minimun wage going up to even it out. At least every other year. With the company doing so well it's a kick in the teeth.

Also to have taken on mountains of work well above and beyond my pay grade, the manager is appalling and offloads everything onto us girls. GP rotas, arranging locums, making sure the GPs are upto date with clinical admin, reporting defects, as well as manning the front desk alone and flitting between admin and telephone calls. In other surgeries you usually do main reception, or admin, we do both at the same time.

They did a massive speech last year about rolling out bonus schemes and defining pay scales, but they haven't done it. We got told that if we did a registration drive and got to 1200 by last xmas we would get a bonus, we surpassed 1200 and no sign of any bonuses.

They are the worst company I've ever worked for.

That does sound like harsh break times Tara, but I guess that if you were to kick up a fuss, you might find yourself jobless. Union? It's a tough one and great that you are coping with all this on such little personal time at work!

Yeah exactly, companies are starting to treat the workforce badly again, as they are able to take advantage of the current unemployment situation. A few of the girls from our sheffield and leeds centres have been speaking with us and we think we may have to unionise.

Yes it sounds like you should get together and take some sort of action to get a fiar deal - even on the breaks and workload

I doubt very much that anyone would get fired if ACAS were involved, they are not a force to be reckoned with!

Most employers take them very seriously otherwise they would find themselves in court and paying out large sums in compensation. ACAS of course wouldn't get involved without your permission, but they would help you take them to court.

Had experience with ACAS when I ran 17 pubs! As an employer it was quite scary stuff even though we had done nothing wrong.

One little incident did happen thanks to my ex husbands partner who took someone on to run a pub, gave them a start date and then after doing more digging etc found there was no way she would be suitable for the job due to some background but instead of writing to her or speaking with her directly he decided to text her!! Bad move!!

Went to court and it cost us over £8000 in compensation plus the court costs.

TaraTeal said:
Jesus christ! We will look into it, somethings gotta give, it shouldn't be a case of just shut up and put up x

Definately don't put up with it. ACAS is free so you got nothing to lose by giving them a call.

Highjacked katy's thread with this discussion but she is nowhere to be seen!!

I think that legally you have to have a min 20 minute break after 6 hours and most companies don't pay you for it. Where I work we are contracted to work for 35 hours per week with some blurb about doing the work required to do the job. Essentially that means working additional hours on top for nothing, working through my lunch break and having the company Blackberry switched on of an evening. I can't complain tho as I do like my job and the pay is decent.

Yeah BG that's what we got from our employer by law it's a measley 20min break after 6 hours so we always get that thrown at us. I am contracted to 37.5 hours so work 40 just to get breaks, but do a hell of alot of overtime! I'd say I get a few calls on my days off too, to either come in, or sort some admin prob over the phone! x

Back