My Mum- I need your help, guys

Hi Guys

I can't tell you how grateful I feel for all of the fantastic advice that has been posted. It has really helped me see things from lots of different perspectives, and I feel better able to cope with the situation now. I guess I have to accept that I can't fix everything, but can perhaps try to influence the outcome of my problem by having a big talk with my Mum. She is coming for a Mothers day meal tomorrow- probably so it may be a real good opportunity to tell her how much I care for her and worry about her health. I just hope I can do it in a way that shows love but not judgement.

Hi hun, It's just to say I hope all goes well for you to-day - I agree with everything that has been said on previous posts - telling her how you feel is a step in the right direction, sending you lots of hugs xx :hug99:

My Mum- an update

Due to so much fantastic advice from you guys, I had a real talk with my Mum on Sunday and told her a lot about how I felt, how much I worried about her dying, etc.
There were lots of tears but it was incredibly positive. My Mum said she had no idea how it was making other people feel and worry. She said that she felt that would give her an incentive to really give SW a go this time.

She has subsequently had her 1st weigh-in and lost 4.5 lbs!

I can't tell you how pleased we both were- more so because she actually seems quite determined for the first time in a long time. There is a massive way to go, but I actually feel hopeful.

Again, a massive thank you for all the advice. You took time to help a stranger, and I want you to know how grateful I am for all the support

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thats fantastic news hun, well done you and well done mum.xxx

I hope your mom does really well, it sounds as though you have reached a turning point so fingers crossed for you both. Once she starts to lose weight that will boost her enthusiasm & confidence. It is so hard when you have tried and failed so many times before. I suggest that she sets herself a mini target - it gives you something to aim for that isn't a mile away, and something to celebrate when you get there.

Also I would reccomend that you stay to the weekly meetings - if you have a good consultant then you can get so much advice and support. It has really made a difference for me this time.

ahhhh that is fab hun!! im sooooo glad your mum had a positive attitude to the talk, was thinking about u over the weekend and what happened. Thants great x x lots of love xxxxxxxxx

As harsh as it may seem, I think you should print off this thread and show her. I am 22 stone and I am slimming so I can be sure to be alive to watch my 6 year old daughter grow up, my doctor told me it was a real prospect that I would die before then and this has shocked me into doing somthing, I have heaps of wieight to lose but just take it one meal at a time.

With best wishes

I agree, i really hope something helps soon :hug99:

Due to so much fantastic advice from you guys, I had a real talk with my Mum on Sunday and told her a lot about how I felt, how much I worried about her dying, etc.
There were lots of tears but it was incredibly positive. My Mum said she had no idea how it was making other people feel and worry. She said that she felt that would give her an incentive to really give SW a go this time.

I can't tell you how pleased we both were- more so because she actually seems quite determined for the first time in a long time. There is a massive way to go, but I actually feel hopeful.

Again, a massive thank you for all the advice. You took time to help a stranger, and I want you to know how grateful I am for all the support

Sorry i didn't read this update first!! Great news :D

Hi

Sorry to hear you have been through the mill emotionally. Well done for having a chat with her.

I reckon the fact you are taking her and can support her as you know the plan too will make a difference. In time she will realise how much help and support she is getting from the group - also how much she enjoys it.

I reckon this time next year your mum will be a different person xx

As the others have said huni...you need to show a bit of tough love and tell your Mum exactly what she is doing to herself is doing to you. Wether thats in a letter or verbally, she needs to know. My thoughts go out to you.

Take care

Kerry-Ann
xx

Cocktailprincess, your mum should be so proud of you for what you are doing for her. What a star to be so supportive for her. Your posts have been so heart wrenching, they must have been difficult to write.

Well done for all you have and are doing for your mum and yourself and hope it all goes well for you both.

Jay xx

Just caught up on this and I'm so pleased you were able to open up to your mum and she has taken your words on board. 4.5lb loss -that is amazing! I hope she realises now that she has the strength and determination to do this!

The point of my long post is that i think there is a trigger for everyone that they think right i have to do this (in their own time) and that was my brothers. It is very frustrating in the mean time for you though, and i know exactly how you feel, however i do think that until she wants to do it deep down herself your mum might cheat or not really stick to plan.

I agree with this as well... sometimes all the 'nagging' in the world won't make you do something! My parents have been on about my weight for the last year and all it did was make me eat more and more. It wasn't until I saw some photos of myself that I realised I needed to do something about my weight... for me (and my little boy) no one else.

Back