My new Actifry

OK, it's your fault! All you lot going on about the Actifry (you know who you are - hope you are feeling guilty!). Just had to go and get one.

Just made my first batch of chips - I would share them with you but oh dear, they've all gone. How did that happen?? :confused:

So what else am I going to cook in it (I did not spend all that money just to cook chips!)? I have a rather sad looking butternut squash in the fridge - can I cook that? What about aubergine? I have some courgettes too.

Ideas, please!!!!

I just did a bit of googling, and came up with this recipe, which could easily be adapted to taste (all that chilli and garlic would not suit me). It has given me some ideas.

Zesty Chilli Chicken

Serves 3 (or just increase or decrease for less or more servings)

3 cubed Chicken Breasts
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped finely
3 lemons, juice and zest
3 cloves of garlic. finely chopped
1 onion thinly sliced
small waxy salad potatoes, halved lengthways (as many as your appetite desires)
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons olive oil (or any kind you like)

Mix together the chicken, chilli, garlic, onion, lemon juice and zest, 1 tablespoon of the oil, then leave to stand. (You can put these to marinate together as far in advance as you like to allow the flavours to develop, but if you don't have time it'll still be very tasty if used straight away).

Put the potatoes in the actifry, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil, cook for 15 minutes.

Add the chicken mixture and cook for a further 15 minutes.

Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes.

You should have got a recipe book with it, you can tweak the recipes to make them SW friendly... I love mine (and yes, i realise I am probably one of the ones to blame for your purchase LOL):8855:

Whats an actifry how many sins are the chips in it?

It suggests using a tablespoon of oil, which you would have to syn, but I saw lots of people on Minimins saying that Frylight works just as well - and it does. So the chips are free!

At the moment I have it cooking butternut squash, aubergine and courgette - all cut into cubes. I will let you know how it turns out.

You should have got a recipe book with it, you can tweak the recipes to make them SW friendly... I love mine (and yes, i realise I am probably one of the ones to blame for your purchase LOL):8855:

I did have a look at the recipe book but not in any detail - I now realise that you can indeed fiddle with the recipes to suit your own tastes.

I like the fact that you can see exactly what is going on, through the clear lid. I have my vegetables set to cook for 30 minutes on the timer, but I keep checking so they don't get overdone.

There was a link on another thread to a video demonstration of someone cooking a curry in the Actifry - now I don't particularly like curry, but again, the general principle could easily be adapted.

You can see it here:
YouTube - Sophie Michell cooks chicken tikka masala with Tefal Actifry

I am very pleased with my purchase!

Ok - results of the vegetable experiment!!

Aubergine and courgette were OK - edible but nothing special. But the butternut squash was delicious. I have just had a huge plate of vegetables and I am really full. All superfree!!

I put the vegetables in a bowl, sprayed Frylight on them, and tossed them around a bit so they were evenly coated, then put them in the Actifry. You can just spray them when they are in the machine, but you need to be careful to get it even.

With the chips, I did as the book suggested and rinsed the starch off under the tap and dried them very well on a clean tea towel. Then I sprayed them.

no I bought mine at a discount designer outlet so it cost£100. But the food is lovely . you can get bargains on e bay too.

I got mine at Comet - the shelf price is expensive, but if you order it online and pick it up from the store it is considerably cheaper.BUT - I am not pretending it is cheap, and it is a bit of an extravagance to be honest. But I am glad I got mine!

Back