Step 1 Sole Source + My please keep me Sane Diary

Mistiek

So today is day 1 on SS+ :wave_cry:

Its been ok although its now 18:00 and I have just had my 3rd CWP product and am starving. Was keeping my last one for around 8ish as I know I get peckish at night.

I tried this once before and only managed 5 days before giving up and this time I really want to see it through. I was full of hope this morning and raring to go but am now really struggling... :sigh:

I luckily have some really good TV to watch this evening and an early night might be on the cards I think... any tips or advice to get through the next few days would be greatly appreciated. I have 2 study days and 2 x 12hr shifts coming up this week so need all the support to stay sane and push through to the other side of ketosis.

What a bad night I had :( I was doing so well I had stuck to the plan 100% all day and then at about 21:30 I started feeling really dizzy, clammy and shaky... I could not focus on anything. About an hour later I caved in and had a tin on tuna, when that did little to settle the shakes I downed a can of full fat Pepsi. I decided to go to bed but had to really focus on not wanting to throw up as the dizziness was making me feel really ill... I then had to force a banana down which seemed to settle the tummy... I was then up about 3 times during the night to go to the loo. (I drank all my water needed)

So this morning I am feeling shattered, still a little dizzy and feel like a complete failure :cry:

With my study days and 12 hour shifts ahead of me I can not afford to feel like this, my job is very demanding and rather physical as most of my patients are disabled in some way. I did send a text to my CDC last night but she did not get back to me so I'm waiting to hear from her this morning. I don't want to give up so am thinking about stepping it up.

Saying all this I have my periods and can not usually skip a meal during this time of the month without feeling shaky so maybe SS+ was not the brightest idea for this week.

Has anyone found it beneficially to start on a higher step initially and then step down?

So I have spoken to my CDC and I have decided to try Step 2. I am feeling much better now than I did yesterday in general so hopfully this will suit me more.

I was really looking forward to some extra support on here... Feeling a little lonely. If anyone has any advice please share it would be nice to make some friends.

Hi mistiek

Sounds like sole source was not right for you considering your demanding job, and do not feel like a failure for not being able to stick to it. It's your bodies way of telling you that you maybe need slightly more.

The only reason I can cope on sole source some days is because my job is completely sedentary but even then there are days I cave and have a boiled egg because I'm still hungry.

What you don't want to do is get to the point where you feel awful and then eat stuff that's completely not right. The key is being prepared and therefore if you do end up needed that extract you have chicken or egg or salad available. Stick with it tho, do not give up as it will be worth it In the end.

Let me know how it goes on sole source plus.

Lucy

Hi Lucylane, and thanks for your reply...

Day 3 today and I definately feel like its getting easier... Been a little heady today and a very slight headache. It's now 16:32 and I have only had 2 shakes. Looking forward to my little protein meal this evening and a shake later when I get a little hungry. So far the Option B on SS+ seems to be doing the trick for me. Looking forward to getting into ketosis now, how many days does this take? I thought it was 3 but for some reason think I need to wait until day. Can anyone help with the answer?

Hope everyone is doing well and staying strong x

You have my support!! :character00116: I've just started today on SS and caved in with a bit of chicken and my like CWP and it's not even 6!!. I'm off work because it's half term so having nothing to do is just making me think about food nonstop! Felt VERY guilty but now that i've done it i realised that it was such a waste and I don't think i'll do it again!

Having control over your period is hard and your hormones are all over the place but stay strong and step 2 might be a better way especially if your lifestyle is physically demanding.

For the future: It's tough but the most important thing to remember about mistakes is this: don't shrug them away - what's what makes these diets fail because we don't deal with how we feel. Remember you were feeling shakey - it's because our body is coping to the change. Sometimes the hunger (especially when you go into ketosis) is in our heads! And sometimes if you're STARVING its best to be prepared and make smart choices - like having a little bit of chicken (carb free) instead of reaching for the sugar!

Most important thing is to that the first part is hard but it is because our bodies are changing and the diet is working! Remember is temporary! After a couple of days we'll be in ketosis (YAY!) and in a couple on month we'll be in skinny jeans (YAY!!!):gimi:

Good luck!! xxxxx

Sorry didn't see the new reply! I've done CD before - 3 days is the minimum but can take longer depending on your glycogen stores! Just keep at it - you'll succeed!

xxx

Hey Seashore, thanks for your reply.

I had a really awful taste in my mouth today at lunch time so wondering if I'm going into ketosis. I may test tomorrow just to see what's happening. I'm really worried about the weekend as I'm doing 2 12 hr shifts. They won't be to hectic (I hope) as weekends are usually quieter on the unit I work on so I'm hoping it wont be to harsh. Will have my small protein meal at lunch time instead as I will have to occupy myself for an hour... And make sure I have some thing on hand in case I wobble as the last thing I want is to land up in A&E because I passed out or worse yet eat something bad and get knocked out of ketosis and make the last few days of hard work for nothing!

Seashore.... Good luck.... I'm here all night if you need support to get through day one. Will be checking regularly

Thanks Mistiek! Hopefully you'll be in Ketosis - have you bought Ketostix? You can use them to test if you're in ketosis - if you can't get hold of them you'll know when you hunger subsides. Good luck with the shifts - try to keep your mind occupied but the protein meal should help!

Thanks for you support - and same goes to you!

xxx

Hey mistiek

The headache on day 3, totally normal! It's your body going into ketosis!! Well done!!

My headache lasted all day 2 and 3rd day, finally went away 4th thank god as I was ready to give up!!

Keep going your doing amazing!!
Lucy

Oh wow... Thanks you two, the support and encouragement mean the world!!!

Struggled a little this evening but did not cave and managed another bottle of water :). My CDC gave me 2 test sticks to test with but I can get more from work if needed. I will test tomorrow morning and keep you posted.

You are both doing really well too, well done xxxx

hi Mistiie

just keep going , i am at work now its 4.08am doing a 12 hour night shift today is day 10 for me and so far i have lost 10lbs , first time i have ever tryed cambridge i am determine to do it , 45 in june and want to be 6 stone lighter by xmas , just come out of a bad realtionship , so i am so focused on doing this , for me and my daughther .
all the best to you .

Hey everyone..

Day 4!!! Feeling very tired and drained today but ok, was a little heady this morning but took some tablets and feel fine now.. walking up the stairs was tiring so going to just relax for the rest of the day...

I tested this morning and I'm ketosis :bliss:chuffed to bits! I remembered I could weigh myself using my wii fit board :sign0007: I know its not good to weigh yourself during the week and my CDC said she did not want me to... but to be honest it has spurred me on all day... I lost 2lb since yesterday and as I don't know what the difference is between mine and my CDC scales it looks like (at a guess) that I have lost about 5-6 lbs so far!

Seashore: How is day 2 going??

Knottydotty: Thanks for your reply... 10lbs wow.. well done. Worried about my 12 hour shifts still and trying to not think of them... hoping I will have enough energy in the morning to cope with the morning rush.. the rest of the day should be fine from then onwards. Have a night shift too next week - that will be interesting. What is it that you do?

Feeling positive today and confident I can push through and do this! xxxx

Where is everyone today?? Hope you are all keeping strong?

Something strange has happened this evening... Either I have come out of ketosis by the rather large quantity of tuna (allowed amount) which does not make sense protein does not usually take you out of ketosis (Atkins diet) OR and I prefer this option... The ketosis is finally doing what it's supposed to, I'm not starving... I battled have the last shake this evening. Although I still feel a little heady I don't feel as drained, tired from lack of decent sleep last night... But not drained. I'm hoping this means that the energy is comming in and the cravings will soon be going out!!!

This evening was difficult because although I'm not hungry the cravings for carbs / sweets are still there. Had to go and get electric from the shops this evening and walking past all the yummy things was torture... But I purchesed the eclectic and that's all!!!! Was very proud of myself :angel09:

Itching to find out how you are all doing... This diary is definitely helping me keep sane. Hope to hear from you soon xxxxx

Quick entry today... Day 5 SS+

Absolutely shattered today... 1st shift back at work after 2 weeks leave and it was a 12 hour shift. My CDC said that day 5 would be the worst day... Well... It went well!!!! Stuck to it 100%, I wasn't starving and I did not feel that flakey at all.

I'm shattered not because I'm not eating but because I'm not sleeping. 2 nights in a row now I have lay awake in bed for what seems ages and then when I finally get to sleep I wake up needing the loo. I'm hoping its nothing more than the worry I was feeling over what being back at work would be like on this diet, being the 1st week on it. With that out the way now I'm hoping for a good nights sleep and another good day at work tomorrow! Anyone else having sleeping issues?

I did struggle with my mental demon today :devilangel: got really angry about not being able to eat at all... Not even one small celebrations chocolate. I sat at lunch time with 2 of these box's in front of me. It upset my whole apple cart today and then I decided I was craving Chinese and then got angry again at how I was feeling cheated! By the end on my shift however I talked myself into realising that I needed this now and that no structure or strictness to my diet would result in me having bad days... I then realised that had I allowed myself to have a bad day today I would have had a couple of celebrations, a peace of home baked cake and probably some Chinese on the way home!!! Became very thankful for this diet and realised how quickly you could rack up the calories without even thinking.

Now that I feel well into ketosis and this is becoming easier all I need to do is concentrate on getting over the mental demons and get on with it. Excited about my weight on Monday night... 2 more days to go!

Night all xxx

Back