My poor hair!

RubyMoss

Silver Member
I don't think my hair will ever forgive me.
I've always been one to swap hair colours on a frequent basis.
I used to have black hair, then black and pink, then black and blue. Went reddy-brown for my 21st, then decided to go blonde for my graduation (parents wanted a photo of me blonde again).

In the process of going blonde I lost about 5" of hair :'(
Then, after all the bleaching, my scalp became too sensitive to the peroxide - I'd rather have toothache than go through the pain of doing my roots blonde!

So now, as we speak, I'm going mahogany. Here's to hoping my hair doesn't finally give up and fall out!

Anyone else have any hair disasters? xxx

eeeeeee i thought i was bad! im naturally mousy/browny/grey yukky colour, i went VERY blonde for a few months when i was about 14 and then i went dark again, then i went blonde again and now finally i am back to dark.. although i do find now that the colour fades really quick with being bleached so many times :(

put a pic up for us when its done :) xx

Haha, I will do!
Very nervous, more nervous than any hair colour, perhaps because I've lost so much hair getting it blonde!

I become so bored with my hair, I really want to go bright red or turquoise, but I think my hair needs to grown again first xxx

I decided in my (early) 20's that I wanted something a bit cooler than my usual boring brown, so I started getting highlights, then going blue black (which I loved) and then a reddy purple with streaks. Unfortunately, at one visit where I was getting some "lovely thick slices" of colour, it went a funny orangey pink stripey colour, and I couldn't fix it for 6 weeks coz my hair was freaking out! I'm now a dark brown, and can't really afford to do anything else coz I'm so grey when it grows back it needs doing quite often. Plus, I'm not allowed to do anything exciting with my job so dark brown it is for me. Would love a nice deep purple colour tho :)
Good luck with yours - hope it gets better for you x

Well, it seemed like only one bottle was needed - roots turned out fantastic, the ends not so great (probably should have left it longer) - So I'm doing the not-so-clever thing of applying the second bottle to the end, leaving it for another 15 mins and hoping for the best - and applying some major conditioner!

Well, the roots are absolutely beautiful.
However, the lengths, which have had bleach on them in the past, have turned pinky-grey. WOOOO!

Haha thanks!
I've been reading around, and apparently if you want to go Blonde-Brown, you need to dye your hair red, followed by brown. Brown tomorrow then! xxx

Haha thanks!
I've been reading around, and apparently if you want to go Blonde-Brown, you need to dye your hair red, followed by brown. Brown tomorrow then! xxx

thats what i did and it worked for me, except i didnt have the guts to dye it red red so i just went for a brown with red tones in it and that worked ok! xx

I used to use semi-permanent colours all the time, as my brown hair was rather boring. They are actually quite good for the condition of the hair, so I never had any problems.

Then a while back, when it started to go grey, I thought - there are two things you can do. Keep on colouring it for ever, or let it go grey.

So I had it cut really short, let the grey do what it wanted, and apart from a cut every five weeks I don't need to do anything to it apart from washing and conditioning, and because it is so short it is usually dry before I get round to finding the hairdryer. And life is so much easier!

Aargh Ruby - hope you can fix it - bet it looks kinda cool though x

Anyone else have any hair disasters? xxx

When I had chemo all my hair fell out. When it started to grow again and was like the shortest crew cut you have ever seen and snow, snow white I wanted to "do" something, anything to celebrate having hair again. I asked my oncologist could I use hair dye. The answer was no.
I was determined to do something so I bought some cochineal food colouring and dyed it shocking pink. I loved it, It was my statement. I was over 60 at the time so imagine the looks I got.

I bet it looked fantastic Fillymum!!

My worst hair disaster - and there have been many, was during a blonde spell, when I asked a friend to do my roots. She wasn't really a dab hand with a bleach brush and she got
it all over the already highly bleached hair. Ok, it went blonde, but it also turned into the hair version of cotton wool. Matted, super absorbent, and came out in clumps.

The other one was when i tried to go blonde after red. Ended up with White blonde roots and tangerine coloured ends. Couldn't put anything else on it so had to wear a hat for weeks...

That reminds me, need to recolour my hair before I go away next week..... :D

hope you get yours sorted!!!

thats what i did and it worked for me, except i didnt have the guts to dye it red red so i just went for a brown with red tones in it and that worked ok! xx
To be honest, I didn't even have a clue about the whole 'red before brown' thing - I just happened to want a Mahogany red, so I'll get the brown tomorrow and *fingers crossed* - originally, I wanted BRIGHT red, like, Live Colour Red, but I'm going to give my hair a little rest for a while while it grows!

I used to use semi-permanent colours all the time, as my brown hair was rather boring. They are actually quite good for the condition of the hair, so I never had any problems.

Then a while back, when it started to go grey, I thought - there are two things you can do. Keep on colouring it for ever, or let it go grey.

So I had it cut really short, let the grey do what it wanted, and apart from a cut every five weeks I don't need to do anything to it apart from washing and conditioning, and because it is so short it is usually dry before I get round to finding the hairdryer. And life is so much easier!
My dad keeps telling me to just shave my head! I admit, it sounds much easier, although I don't think I could cope with short hair! My hair used to be past my shoulder blades, and through bleaching, it just reaches my shoulders. Heartbroken, I was!

Aargh Ruby - hope you can fix it - bet it looks kinda cool though x

Me too, I shall let you know! Haha, I'll take a picture of the weird milkyness that is the colour of my hair before I attempt the brown!

When I had chemo all my hair fell out. When it started to grow again and was like the shortest crew cut you have ever seen and snow, snow white I wanted to "do" something, anything to celebrate having hair again. I asked my oncologist could I use hair dye. The answer was no.
I was determined to do something so I bought some cochineal food colouring and dyed it shocking pink. I loved it, It was my statement. I was over 60 at the time so imagine the looks I got.
That. Is. Amazing <3

The other one was when i tried to go blonde after red. Ended up with White blonde roots and tangerine coloured ends. Couldn't put anything else on it so had to wear a hat for weeks...

I dyed mine blonde from reddy-brown, which was lightened by bleaching from black hair. It's scary just thinking about it. Needless to say, same thing happened to me! Orange hair - well, you might be able to see it below (apologies for the weird earlobes and the posey picture)...

DSCN2615.jpg

Did manage to lighten it up, but took ages :(

Now that I've got rid of the blonde, I miss it :'( xxx

ahh the trouble with bleaching hair! Looks great and the first time isn't too painful, but after that it feels like your entire head is on fire. I was bleaching my hair for about a year until I got fed up of my roots constantly on display, tried to grow it out but couldn't stand how dodgy it looked. Went to the hairdresser and got them to cut it all off, couldn't be bothered trying to dye it tons of times until they got it the right colour.

The worst experience was when I bleached my hair for the last time, the roots ended up ginger and I was already tearful from the pain. Ended up having to put another coat on, sobbed the entire extra half hour, it hurt so much. Came out lovely and blonde though!

Never again! I hope your hair gets sorted!

ahh the trouble with bleaching hair! Looks great and the first time isn't too painful, but after that it feels like your entire head is on fire. I was bleaching my hair for about a year until I got fed up of my roots constantly on display, tried to grow it out but couldn't stand how dodgy it looked. Went to the hairdresser and got them to cut it all off, couldn't be bothered trying to dye it tons of times until they got it the right colour.

The worst experience was when I bleached my hair for the last time, the roots ended up ginger and I was already tearful from the pain. Ended up having to put another coat on, sobbed the entire extra half hour, it hurt so much. Came out lovely and blonde though!

Never again! I hope your hair gets sorted!

Thank you!

No one I know understood me when I told them that the pain of dying my hair blonde was excruciating and that I could deal with toothache more! I did actually think something was wrong with me, despite the number of hair dye's I've used in the past without any pain. I absolutely love having blonde hair, but apart from the fact I can never get my roots the same shade as my hair (they just go gingery) - the pain is just NOT worth it.

Back