my son.......

BIG BIRDY

Silver Member
My son took his sats maths today. One of the questions was what is the gradient of the line if y=3x+5? MMMMmmmmmm?
So he didn't know where to start, so he wrote as his answer......Not very steep!

LOL. Bless him:D

so anyone know the answer?......

Well I'd give him a mark!
there are times in life when an anser like this, said with confidence & a straight face can get you out of a tight spot.
What age is he?

well I made what I thought was a great start

y - 3x = 5

but I am pretty sure I'm supposed to take it somewhere else and that completely eludes my poor brain LOL

Try putting no's in for x & see what you get.
x=0 so y = 0+5 = 5
x=1 so y = 3+5 =8.
x=2 so y =6+5=11 etc
Its a line running from top R of the page to bttom R.
It crosses the y axis at 5 & the L axis at about -1.7.

My daughter had her SATS today too .... I shall ask her if she knows the answer and get back to you. Obviously I haven't got a clue!!!

Yep the gradient is 3, and the y intercept is 5. The number before the x changes the steepness of the graph, the gradient.

y=3x+5

3 is the gradient
5 is the intercept

I'm none the wiser ;).

ha ha me neither, did he know this just by looking at it or did he "solve" it, please tell ....

thanks for the replies! So many brainy people out there! Wish I knew the answer too!

He should know the answer by just looking at, I teach secondary maths, the question would only be worth 1 mark so no solving required.

LOL I just showed that to my son and he got a laugh out of it. He did his maths SATs yesterday as well, said that he didn't get that question, but something similar. He didn't get it either

Yes he does possibly!! Daughter inherited OH 's fab maths abilities, son had mine......

My son took his sats maths today. One of the questions was what is the gradient of the line if y=3x+5? MMMMmmmmmm?
So he didn't know where to start, so he wrote as his answer......Not very steep!

Love it:D

LOL cool...he should become a politician.

I agree:)

:rotflmao::rotflmao:
bless his cotton socks. He has reminded me why I work with kids.

Awwww....

Funny that. It reminds me of why I don't!

I was not expecting this to be your reply BB and I nearly wet myself.

LOL:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Back