Myth busting about VLCD's? What is the truth about....

MissyJo said:
One more thing....

I am thinking of doing SS plus at the weekend and SS Mon-Thu

Is this being weak or a good plan do you think?

I'd like to re-start my exercise this weekend and feel it may help

J

I do that Missyjo, I quite often switch between the two plans. It's not weak if it keeps you on track there's no reason not to. BUT just a word of warning, some people find that SS+ sets them off eating to eat more than what's allowed. If you're sure you'll be fine sticking to what's allowed then go for it, if you think it'll set off food craving don't it's not worth the stress.

Superb response....thanks so much!!

I had a good think and went for it.....had chicken breast and courgettes. Nice...but not an amazing experience (good that it wasn't!!)

I found it really filling....will watch it closely because if, as you say it starts sneaking up I will go straight back to SS+. Hopefully having occasional meals will stop mental glorification of food if you know what I mean??

I hope it has re-enforced in my head that eating food isn't the be all and end all....it is a fuel :)

Yeay xxx

"VLCD are not safe"
VLCD have been around since the 1920s, but in the 70's a number of deaths occurred in people using 'Liquid Protein Diets' which bear no resemblance to the VLCD of today. They were withdrawn from the market and since then there have been no cardiac problems attributed to VLCD.

Ah yes, the Last Chance Diet. The source of protein was collagen! Thankfully they revised that, and you can even do whole food PSMFs now.

I also have the maths to prove that the only muscle lost was the muscle needed to move 8 stone of additional body weight, I lost the expected amount of fat (91lbs out of 113) I didn't need 45lbs of muscle to move me around at 10st (you'd look like The Hulk if you were over a third muscle at that weight!) so of course some of the weight I lost was muscle, I went from being 20% muscle to 23-24%, I think...from memory.

I had to address this. I think you must be referring to your body fat percentage. If you had 20-25% lean body mass (LBM) you'd have a body fat (BF) level of around 75-80%! I'm not even sure if a full grown person can survive with a mere 45lbs of LBM - rather than looking like the Hulk you'd probably look deceased. Last time I was around 140lbs I had about 115lbs of LBM and wore a size 8-10.

Presuming you have 23-24% body fat and weigh 140lbs (10st), you have 106lbs of LBM (commonly referred to as just 'muscle' but it's actually everything in your body - bones, organ tissues, fluids - excluding fat mass.). Very healthy. :)

Back