Negative people why??

scoobydoo2009

i tell my workmates oh im doing dukan,so i dont want toast n lurpak butter for break,just a cup of tea no sugar,

then they start you dont need to loose weight ur mad,then they talk about how old some people look once they have lost weight etc etc

today i went into work and they sort of bullied me into eating a plate of 2 slices of white bread and baked beans

and i started to think maybe they are right,argh no they arnt im not happy maybe just a few more lbs then il stop

i am finding dukan a real struggle since christmas iv lost my way big time,i was doing so well,

today all iv eaten is 2 muller yogurts,oatbran porridge,and dairylea light on some water crackers,not good:mad::mad:

They do not sound very supportive, maybe they are jealous? i would stand your ground with them and dont let they bully you into something you do not want.

Can you make your own brew and go sit away from them while they are eating or take some chicken with you and eat that instead?

defo jealous lol,

we all sit together in the office,il just make sure that i have eaten before i get to work,

its just not helpful when im struggling with dukan as it is:(

Definitely don't let them bully you into anything! What you put in your mouth is only your decision, and you've every right to say no thank you. I've had to be pretty forceful in declining some stuff since I started the diet but just stay firm with them. I've used the excuse of having given up wheat once which worked quite well.

I've had similar problems with one of my friends and a couple of family members. Luckily, everyone else has been fine about my diet. It's pretty annoying.

The thing is not to let them get to you. I feel so much healthier now that I really don't care what anyone else says, especially since the nurse was so delighted with my test scores at my annual check-up. It's my body and no one can force me to eat anything I don't want to - besides, I know for a fact that I'm eating a heck of a lot healthier than they are!

Just ignore them. They're diet saboteurs.

Can I ask how old you are Scooby? This bullying mentality really annoys me. I tend to eat my food on my own in my office these days - not because anyone could push me out of my motivation, but because I can get pretty bolshy if irked!

Remember that their criticisms are more about making themselves feel better about being overweight/smokers/in debt/whatever than about you.

If you eat so little, you will get ill. Water biscuits? Why?

Back to basics Scooby OR head for consolidation... please!

hi i am 40 years old in june,
i cant explain why things have gone wrong since xmas with my dukan,

going to have a sit down after work with my dukan book,
for the past few days i have been feeling ill,tired and not with it,

i like how people say your thin you dont need to loose weight but never say oi ur getting fat get on a diet pmsl:D

maintainer your advice is spot on i think,thankyou xx

sue x

I agree with Jo, some people have to take their own frustrations out on people and belittle them to make themselves feel better.

The tired/ill feeling could be the carbs - I took a while to get used to eating them again.

I hope you can get your head in the right place to decide what action to take. Conso is a good plan (even for a week or two) as Dukan advises this for holidays (and I did this myself on holiday after 3 weeks on plan). You will possibly still lose weight (I did) and your BMI is good, so maybe a good way forward to lose the last bit.

Good luck!

lol! I like that, and its soooo true, i was talking to OH about the same thing yesterday. It's also strange how they wont comment on eating habits when you're bigger.. like "OMG, are you sure you want to eat hate a horse for a starter!" ;) lol x

Yes! The 3 people who constantly criticise and try to sabotage my diet are very overweight. I've never once done to them a vice versa version of what they do to me - tell them that they look awful and need to lose lots of weight! :eek:;)

scoobydoo, I'm working with similar stats to you :)

I know this negativity well - and it's pure jealousy.
I know a couple of people that are critical, they are all people that are the veterans of many failed diets themselves.

One person in particular likes to make it their business, making really catty comments such as:

• Should I really buy new clothes in a smaller size because I'll only put the weight back on.
  • How 'when you get older you naturally get fat and can't weigh what you used to when you were young' (I'm not that old!).
  • Telling me that I now eat 'more than ever in my life' - and telling everyone else that I have stopped eating completely.
  • Awkwardly accouncing infront of people I don't know 'have you lost more weight' and asking them 'isn't she thin'.
  • Telling me my arms and legs are 'like twigs' - I used to swim competitively, 'twig' could never be true of a former swimmer!
  • Asking 'are you still doing that thing where you don't eat certain food?' and then offering me alcohol and takeaways and everything else I never touch anyway!
  • Telling me when you diet you need to take a couple of weeks off every now and then to eat 'like normal'.
  • Putting certain food on my plate and angrily demanding 'just eat it'.
All it does is really make me pity them for their obvious issues with themselves and their own self-esteem.

Plus I don't want to give them the satisfaction - I can hear it now!

scoobydoo, I'm working with similar stats to you :)

I know this negativity well - and it's pure jealousy.
I know a couple of people that are critical, they are all people that are the veterans of many failed diets themselves.

One person in particular likes to make it their business, making really catty comments such as:

• Should I really buy new clothes in a smaller size because I'll only put the weight back on.
At least I'll enjoy wearing them while I can. What size are you again?
  • How 'when you get older you naturally get fat and can't weigh what you used to when you were young' (I'm not that old!).
Now I'm older, I've far more taste than when I was young, and wouldn't want to dress that way now.
  • Telling me that I now eat 'more than ever in my life' - and telling everyone else that I have stopped eating completely.
<something will come...>
  • Awkwardly accouncing infront of people I don't know 'have you lost more weight' and asking them 'isn't she thin'.
No, I'm the same weight as ever. <then turn to the people you don't know and say:> 'isn't she nasty?'>

Telling me my arms and legs are 'like twigs' - I used to swim competitively, 'twig' could never be true of a former swimmer!

Better twigs than trunks, hey?
  • Asking 'are you still doing that thing where you don't eat certain food?' and then offering me alcohol and takeaways and everything else I never touch anyway!
You got it, yep! You can keep your alcohol. I'm interesting enough without it <I have used that one myself!>
  • Telling me when you diet you need to take a couple of weeks off every now and then to eat 'like normal'.
<innocent expression> What's normal? Will you join me?
  • Putting certain food on my plate and angrily demanding 'just eat it'.
<even more innocent expression> 'wanna wear it?'

All it does is really make me pity them for their obvious issues with themselves and their own self-esteem.

Plus I don't want to give them the satisfaction - I can hear it now!

Also... OK we might be chubby, overweight, fat, or whatever, but we can always diet. They can't change the way they are - alas!

Ah, those are good! I don't think of comebacks, I'm usually too mad or too baffled to even comprehend the statement!

This might all make sense if I point out that the person responsible for the comments is my sister.
We work at the same place as well as seeing each other as a family, so I got lucky that she's so supportive, right :D

I get the old omg there is nothing on you, and when i was ill the other week EVERYONE blamed it on my diet, one particular comment on facebook 'you need a fray bentos meat pie and chips down ya!'
Needless to say when other people caught the bug off me they werent saying anything. One friend says which diet are you doing now. People cant understand why im always dieting. Its not just necessarily dieting but its a way of life for me, if i dont watch what i eat it just spirals! and I eat more veg now and more home cooked stuff than ever.

have you got the fat competitors thighs too ...i have

I haven't told anyone in my office that I'm on a diet. A couple of people have asked if I've lost weight and I've denied all knowledge - I just didn't want everything I ate to be scrutinised. I've a couple of good friends in the building but who don't work for my company that know but they've both been very supportive.

This is just so amazing! Being a newbie to dieting I've not had this, anyone who knew was supportive and anyone who asked was told the truth. I also lost most of the weight over the summer when it's really quiet at work so didn't see many people until they said 'wow you've lost so much weight', hesitating to comment at all as they thought I might have been ill :eek:

Brownie: well at least if she's your sister you can use the repartee without hesitation! Good luck sounds like she's really really jealous!

And scoobydoo - my commiserations but yes I think it's all jealousy and attempts at 'sabotage'. How sad for them but what a pain for you! Can you report workplace bullying? Because that's what it is!

Back