New book and changes, esp chicken skin

Thats annoying because the skin is important to the cooking process and I have a chicken every week! It hasn't caused any problems for me so far but it's worth bearing in mind.

Grizzly man, well done on contacting the supermarkets. I wouldn't expect them to be free range as they're kept cheaper but that's really uselful to know!

Our slow cooker has Low or High setting - I cook on low, a medium chicken for 5.5 hours and a large chicken for 6 hours - obviously approx.

I do it all the time, so easy to do, really tasty and I then use the chicken for sandwiches or a roast or to mix with pasta. :D

Ah i was hoping i could chuck it in before work but i'm out of the house for nearly 10 hours. Will have to be a weekend recipe :/

Thanks for helping me out though! can't wait to try it x

Ah i was hoping i could chuck it in before work but i'm out of the house for nearly 10 hours. Will have to be a weekend recipe :/

Thanks for helping me out though! can't wait to try it x

Try it one weekend for 10 hours on low and keep an eye on it, if it looks to dry then you know its too long thats what I did my first time!

Try it one weekend for 10 hours on low and keep an eye on it, if it looks to dry then you know its too long thats what I did my first time!

If I left it in for 10 hours on low it would be disintegrated!

Our slow cooker has Low or High setting - I cook on low, a medium chicken for 5.5 hours and a large chicken for 6 hours - obviously approx.

I do it all the time, so easy to do, really tasty and I then use the chicken for sandwiches or a roast or to mix with pasta. :D

Oh I will have to give this a go as If you by a cheap chicken for a couple pounds it would be cheaper that buy cooked chicken breast sandwich type meat and you will know its syn free :)

off to buy a chicken ;) x

I emailed the 4 big supermarkets regarding the rotisserie chicken issue, I'll post my mail and the replies below (no reply from Tesco!) I was also told by SW that the reason rotisserie chickens were synned was because they are sold with the skin on and are synned as though the skin was eaten?

Dear Sir/Madam

I was hoping you could give me some information regarding your rotisserie chickens?

I would like to know if these are free range chickens and also if anything is added to the chicken with regards to injecting or infusing any brine, sugar, oils or fats either before or during the cooking process? This does not include adding flavours to the skin.

As a member of Slimming world I am trying to work out the amount of syns in the rotisserie products as roast chicken with the skin and any fat removed is counted as "free" on our food optimising plan, this would though be compromised if any fats or sugars had been added to the flesh of the chicken prior to or during cooking.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards.

Stuart Davies

ASDA

Dear Stuart

Thanks you for your email.

Our rotisserie chickens are not free range and we do not inject anything into the chickens prior to cooking. The only thing added is onto the skins for flavourings.

I have myself been a member of slimming world and used to buy these chickens on a regular basis and as long as all the skin was removed they were syn free.

Kind regards

Emma Mckee
ASDA Service Team

MORRISONS

Good afternoon Stuart

Thank you for your email and patience whilst I looked into this matter.

The technical team have advised me that our Oven Fresh chickens. Thighs, wings and drumsticks are not free range; however they are part of the Assured Food Standards red tractor scheme. In addition nothing is added to the product.

For more information please visit:-
www.redtractor.org.uk
Kindest regards,
Dawn
Customer Services Department
Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC

SAINSBURYS

A phone call received fromSainsbury's Careline,

They informed me that the rotisserie chickens are not free range but they are freedom foods accredited. Nothing is added to the chicken apart from herbs and spices to the skin.

Fantastic info thank you xx

Oh I will have to give this a go as If you by a cheap chicken for a couple pounds it would be cheaper that buy cooked chicken breast sandwich type meat and you will know its syn free :)

off to buy a chicken ;) x

I do it so I don't have to buy rubbish , plastic ham for sandwiches too :)

The lady in morrisons told me the extra tasty chickens are the ones they inject with brine.

Back