New Books / weights - positive and negatives

The box of oats will have microwaving instructions on it. Remember to use a deep dish if you are used to OSS - it has something in it which helps prevent it boiling over, which the ordinary oats don't have.

And if you find yourself a small measuring cup, you will only have to get the scales out once. Weigh out the 35g, see where it comes to in the cup, then use twice as much liquid. Then in future just use the measuring cup.

Microwave it for a couple of minutes then if it isn't thick enough for you, give it another 30 seconds.

I prefer Scots Old Fashioned because I like my porridge with more texture to it. Also, you can make it with just water and so not use your A choice (I tried OSS with water once and it was terrible!).

But any supermarket's oats will do fine.

He he, I'm getting excited by porridge so
much so I cant wait to finish my oat so simple sachets! I think I need to get out more!!

I have porridge every morning and buy big bags then put it in a large platic jar.
I got a small water bottle and cut off the top then weighed out the porridge and tipped it into the bottle. Tapped the bottle so the porridge settled then drew a line round where the porridge came to then emptied it out and cut round the bottle at the line.
Now I have a measure for the porridge and then use it for the water.
Do the same with lentils and pasta - weighed them only so I know how much water to put in to cook them

I had my 35g of porridge this morning too!! Made with water, added a pinch of salt. Much nicer than sweet porridge, at least I think so.

And I did a quick price check in Waitrose today. I knew OSS was pricey, but the difference is surprising. (Obviously when OSS is on special offer it would be less, but even so.)

Oats So Simple - original - 12 in a box - 67.6p per 100g

Scots Old Fashioned (price matched with Tesco) - 17.5p per 100g (currently on special offer 2 boxes for £3 which makes it 15p per 100g)

Waitrose own brand - 10.4p per 100g

Yeah but the Oat so Simple are much more convenient. You always pay more for convenience.

I buy OSS for school cause I find prepping lunch and my milk enough of a hassle so having a big box of OSS in school so all I have to do is pour out the oats, fill up the sachet with water and ping just so much easier. I know if I put the effort in and weigh in advance it would be almost as easy, but then I don't wanna put the effort in, lol. So the price for me is worth the saved time. :)

I find regular porridge just as convenient, it works out at just about 1/2 cup measurement of oats and two of water or milk. Ping for 2-3 minutes and it's ready!

I find regular porridge just as convenient, it works out at just about 1/2 cup measurement of oats and two of water or milk. Ping for 2-3 minutes and it's ready!

Me too, not a hassle at all. I prefer the thick milled oats so OSS is too much like slop for my liking...:yuk:
but it wouldn't do for everyone to like the same things, we're all different :)

You see, I wouldn't be okay with imprecise measurements. I would have to weigh it out exactly, I think it's being a science teacher but if it says 28g of oats then it's 28g not 27.75 or 28.1...

35g of porridge oats is better - I can't get those scan bran thingies in the US. :)

You see, I wouldn't be okay with imprecise measurements. I would have to weigh it out exactly, I think it's being a science teacher but if it says 28g of oats then it's 28g not 27.75 or 28.1...
I'm not a science teacher, but yes I am very precise with my weighing and measuring too. I found when using OSS that filling the sachet with milk it spilt everywhere but that is obviously just me lol :wave_cry:

Hmmm, very interesting! I just pick up oat so simple as its just quick and easy to tear open the sachet however it's just a easy to get the scales out... Once I've finished my sachets I'll give this a whirl

Thanks for the advice, I've always just dismissed porridge oats before
I have only recently started having porridge because I used to have weetabix and enjoyed it, although I have always liked porridge but there just isnt enough really in 28g and I wanted to save one of my h es (I have two of each as always do red and green). Will now search Asda for ordinary porridge oats to microwave. Thanks

I'm not a science teacher, but yes I am very precise with my weighing and measuring too. I found when using OSS that filling the sachet with milk it spilt everywhere but that is obviously just me lol :wave_cry:

Must be a knack. :) I don't think I've ever spilt it....

Ha so it isnt just me being ham fisted then!!! I just pour a little milk from my allowance now into the bowl and microwave, then if its a bit thick just add a bit more milk. You wouldnt believe there is so much to say on a thread about porrige would you ha ha!!!!!!!!!!

I am loving the fact we get more cheese and that philli light is now an A choice. My C said extra light philli you can 100g of it as an A.... Wow :)

I am loving the fact we get more cheese and that philli light is now an A choice. My C said extra light philli you can 100g of it as an A.... Wow :)

Ooh really? I love philli so 100g of extra light is amazing!

Philly light has been a HEa for a good while now but the extra light was only a HEB and only on green. i would hold off until someone confirms it is now a HEA as well.

Philly light has been a HEa for a good while now but the extra light was only a HEB and only on green. i would hold off until someone confirms it is now a HEA as well.

Thanks Patchwork. I knew that light was a HEa but as I follow red or extra easy I haven't really looked at the HEb's for green. Will wait for confirmation - I get my new book on Tuesday so will check then.

Back