New Gal, any advise?

elle2585

8 t whole wheel of cheese
I posted this on the end of a thread and then thought, why not just make a new one!

hi everyone!

I'm new here... i've been trying to lose weight for years and years now, i'm the only 'fat' girl in my family. I don't look too bad I suppose but it really gets me down that my sister and cousins wear size 8-10 and I have to buy size 16. Last year I did that Paul McKenna thing and it went really well - i used to be a size 18 and went down to a 16. Then I had my finals at uni and it went a bit downhill, but as far as i'm aware I haven't gone back to what I used to be. I'm going on holiday in 9 weeks and I want to lose some weight and keep going, my perfect weight would be the one that i need to be in order to be a size 12. I haven't weighed myself in ages because when I was doing Paul Mckenna, he suggested not to...before that I was totally obsessed with it. I'm 5'10" and I THINK i'm around the top end of 14 stone. Would love to go down to 13 stone something for August 12th. Do any of you think that's possible? I'm so happy to have found this, I need some support. Good luck everyone!! And sorry for the essay. x

oh and p.s. im taking some supplements from holland and barratts called KLB6. They're supposed to speed up you metabolism. I havent really noticed any difference but ill let you all know. :)

Hi Elle- welcome! Realistically you CAN lose about 16lbs in 8wks, but heavier people tend to lose a little more in the first week or two (I'm not saying you're heavier- just that like me you have a good bit to lose iykwim?) Do you live at home, I mean are you responsible for your food? If you are- bin/donate all the sugary/high-fat snacks you have in the cupboard (and I'm including the Cheerios in that! LOL!)and ready-meals. Stock up on cereals like weetabix & porridge, plenty of veg & fruit that you like (no point in buying stuff thats going to go off?) and try & cook as fresh as you can? Bin the salt & stock up on spices like black pepper, basil, oregano etc, and flavouring for meat/fish (Shwartz do great ones). Eat off a smaller plate (I use my 3yr olds!)and try & get an idea of portion control. I calorie-count (another forum on here) and was amazed at what a 'portion' of pasta really was!! Bite the bullet & weigh in the morning so you know exactly how much you need/want to lose and then start afresh. We're all here to help & support each other to a healthier lifestyle, and of course to try & fit into your dream clothes! LOL!

Hi,

Thanks for your advice Irishmum. I live with my parents still but to be honest we dont really have that many bad foods in the house. We always cook fresh as mum hates the idea of ready meals, she only buys organic food, (the cheerios are my little sisters!), and being greek we generally have quite a healthy diet. For example, two nights ago we had a chick pea stew with lots of veg, and yesterday we had ochre, and we have a salad with every meal. We have crisps and biscuits but i generally avoid them, i think my main problem is eating too much in my main meals and not exercising enough. Oh and snacking at work through sheer boredom which i am so far managing to curb. I had an awful time of things during my alevels and first couple of years at uni and i was eating emotionally, i'm still paying for it now. I think i'll have a yoghurt tomorrow morning for breakfast! Hehe... :)

Hi Elle
I'm with Irishmum on the porridge and fresh food - optimum nutrition is my thing. I'm mostly veggie although I do eat fish and a little meat. I'm taking this journey alone except for all you guys. This is a great site with loads of support .
My advice? Love yourself and be happy :)
Gem x

Hi,

i think my main problem is eating too much in my main meals and not exercising enough.
Been there! As I said I couldn't believe how much 'normal' portions were, but I have that problem solved, I just have to work on the exercise part! ;)
Oh, and don't just have a yoghurt for breakfast- you'll be starving by 10am!! If you want meal ideas that are handy just say, but try and eat well at meals (especially first thing) or you'll end up binging when the hunger kicks in!

Been there! As I said I couldn't believe how much 'normal' portions were, but I have that problem solved, I just have to work on the exercise part! ;)
Oh, and don't just have a yoghurt for breakfast- you'll be starving by 10am!! If you want meal ideas that are handy just say, but try and eat well at meals (especially first thing) or you'll end up binging when the hunger kicks in!

Good advice IrishMum - the porridge will keep hunger at bay for ages - hmm the exercise bit is something I'm having to address too
Gem x

Porridge....i'm not the biggest fan to be honest. The Paul Mckenna thing I did last year taught me to eat as much as i need, but no more than that, and to eat when i'm hungry... So far today I've had one slice of wholemeal toast and a glass of oj and I bought a banana and a low fat yoghurt with me to work with the impression that I would eat them almost immediately through hunger but I totally forgot about them until now! Feeling a bit peckish so i'll go and grab a sandwich for lunch and eat them with that if I want. Best thing I ever did was stop bringing junk to work to snack on!! lol. it's the way forward.

Well done so far! I know porridge isn't for everyone, but anything with unrefined grains in it (granary bread, weetabix etc) will help keep you full for longer, and keep you 'regular'? LOL! Don't eat the banana & yoghurt if you don't want them- save them for when you're really hungry? You're right- it is a matter of re-training yourself and eating only when hungry, not out of boredom, and only as much as you need- I used to eat the same as my 15st 6ft2" Hubby- who does hard manual labour all day- and wonder why I was fat!?!? PMSL!

Sometimes that's the problem isn't it? You are with different people who use food differently to you. You take a bit from this and a bit from that and before you know you're wearing baggy trousers and shapeless tops (or worse - wearing the same and risking a spillage!). Then there's the goody table at work or the visit to the friend who "knew you were coming so she baked a cake"...............
Then there's the other thing - fridge pickers really DO wear bigger knickers!:eek:
Gem x

Ive been in absolute agony over the last week because my cousin, who bakes excellent cakes, went a bit crazy and made three and then proceeded to dump most of them down my house so she could avoid eating them. Going into the kitchen was a nightmare! Cappuccino cake, chocolate brownie with pieces of dairy milk in it and a victoria-spongey thing with fresh cream. I'm so glad theyre gone now.

Ive been in absolute agony over the last week because my cousin, who bakes excellent cakes, went a bit crazy and made three and then proceeded to dump most of them down my house so she could avoid eating them..
Ohhh....a saboteur friend...I have those!! They visit you but take a pack of chunky choc chip cookies to have with a cup of tea (knowing you're cutting down) and get offended when you don't want any! Arghhh!!! LOL! I can't have treats like that in the house or I'll nibble here & there til theres none left. I think I'm only taking one/a little...then theres only crumbs left! Don't get me wrong- I eat stuff like that occasionally- but need to factor it into my daily eating somehow- so if I have something high-cal/fat, I lose out somewhere else? Its the only way...sniff!;)

Adjusting for treats

I have small bars of funsize choc ect. stashed away. I take one out every day and if I have a glass of wine or something high, I cut down next day AND miss out on the choc. Incentive to keep going and I don't feel hard done by at all - but those cakes and choc chip thingies .......... :sigh:
Gem x

Hi Elle, I took KLB6 and they did nothing for me. I also took extra Lecithin alongside them and they didn't work for me!

Are your parents supportive of you losing weight? If they are, why not follow a plan like Slimming world? You can have food that the whole family can eat whether they are dietting or not. I cook SW meals for my parents every now and then and they love it.

Ive discovered this week that alot of the time when ive thought ive been hungry in the past was thirst, when ive felt ive been hungry this week ive tried a drink to see if that helped and most of the time it would take away what i thought were hunger pangs obviously they were thirst pangs lol, so my tip would be lots of fluids

In for the Long Haul

Hi again Taz
You're right - if you feel you're eating something like normal it's a bit easier to stick to for the long haul - heaven knows I've got a long haul ahead of me! :sigh:
Gem x

i dont mean to keep going on but Paul McKenna said that about thirst. If you feel hungry, try having a drink first...

Drinking water

No you're right elle. I've heard it said that most of us are dehydrated to a greater or lesser degree and that must mean that our bodies are crying out. It would be so easy to misread the signs. That aside, drinking water is supposed to help with elasticity in the skin - we all need that don't we? ;)
Gem x

I have Paul McKenna's book and CD, sounds like he's talking sense so I will have to read it now!

i would definitely suggest it, especially the cd, it puts you in an excellent mind set! and it really makes sense! i was eating WHATEVER i wanted and i was still losing weight. a bit slower than i would have liked though, but people say thats the best way. I think its an excellent way to keep weight off.

Back