NEW POSTERS...

Maintainer

** Chief WITCH **
Since there is a huge influx of new people at the moment, could we ask you all to:

- buy the book (!);
- go to the Dukan official website to calculate your "Dukan true weight";
- fill out your User CP (top of the page, blue rectangle);
- post menus on the daily menu thread(preferably in ADVANCE)...

Much obliged! Saves us typing the same thing on all new people's threads.

Oh and WELCOME... :D

We'll help where we can, when we can.

I think I want to make this my signature - it would certainly save a lot of typing!

Im not saying nuffing !!! (makes a change )

and thats my queue to leave this part of the forum. not much point in having a forum if newbies cant ask questions.
buy the book and get on with it, dont ask questions is the general consensus in here. very unwelcoming.

sorry if im upsetting anybody, don't mean to but if people don't feel like they can ask about things they're not sure of then they will feel alone and unhappy on the diet and most likely get things wrong.

anyway. good luck everyone xxx

"Buy the book" was step one of four. Did you stop reading after just the one step?

Perhaps I should have said "read the book and THEN ask questions".

Kayla

No one is saying "read the book and go away" - they are saying read the book, because they know it is absolutely the best advice anyone who has successfully done the diet can give.

No one here wants to give anyone a hard time - but we assume you want to succeed, and buying the book, and understanding the diet before you start is how it's done

I have my book on order, have decided to read cover to cover, then hopefully I will have a greater understanding of it, if I have any problems them I hope it will be ok to ask and hopefully in time help others :)

Absolutely Nikki. Some of us have been helping others out here for YEARS...

and thats my queue to leave this part of the forum. not much point in having a forum if newbies cant ask questions.
buy the book and get on with it, dont ask questions is the general consensus in here. very unwelcoming.

sorry if im upsetting anybody, don't mean to but if people don't feel like they can ask about things they're not sure of then they will feel alone and unhappy on the diet and most likely get things wrong.

Just to confirm, that is not what Maintainer meant at all. It is quite difficult to understand Dukan and the principles of it so it is best to read the book first. I wouldnt have had a clue if I hadnt read through the book.

And actually, this forum is really positive and really helpful and ive found it a godsend since starting Dukan. Everyone is friendly and everyone helps each other out. I think maybe you misinterpreted what was said xx

I agree buying the book should be the first step as without it, it is very hard to get the actual feel for the diet. In the beginning it is confusing enough and I don't think I would have understood most of what was written here without it :)

Think it would be helpful to have a sticky with the alterations to the diet from the book. Ie after you have read the book you can read the updates as well.

Hi Kayla,
I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick.
There have been many new members join this week (probably due to the Daily Mail article) and that is a good thing.
BUT I have seen new members post how they are going to do the diet and other new members saying, "oo great I'll do that too" and long standing members try and put them right but their advice gets ignored.
I still consider myself a newbie as I've only been here a matter of weeks and tbh those type of posts irritate me :rolleyes: so I can empathise how tireseome it must be to those who have been on Dukan for many years. They are the experts so if people ask questions then the least they can do is thank them for their advice, even if they don't bother to act on it!
We were all newbies once (I still am!) and of course, as newbies, we will ask questions but a little courtesy to those who reply to questions wouldn't go amiss.
This is not directed at you, or anyone in particular, just how I see it.
As for the stats, it was a HUGE deal posting my stats as I have NEVER told anyone my weight but it is vital we pop them into our profiles so as to give the correct advice. As I am sure you will understand the advice for someone half a stone overweight could differ to someone with 3 stones to lose.

The book is also vital to explain the "mechanics" of the diet.

I hope I have not spoken out of turn, as I am sure nobody on here wants a "them and us" situation.

Perhaps the mods could consider doing a "sticky" with a title such a "Quick Questions thread" so that rather than members starting lots of new threads (and overwhelm the board) with questions that only require a 1 post answer, they could all be in one place.
I know I was quite embarrassed at how many new threads I started (and still do!) :eek: for every question I had.
Just my two penneth worth.

Anyway, that said... group hug :gen126:
Welcome and good luck!

Red :heartpump: xx

Perhaps the mods could consider doing a "sticky" with a title such a "Quick Questions thread" so that rather than members starting lots of new threads (and overwhelm the board) with questions that only require a 1 post answer, they could all be in one place.
I know I was quite embarrassed at how many new threads I started (and still do!) :eek: for every question I had.
Just my two penneth worth.

Anyway, that said... group hug :gen126:
Welcome and good luck!

Red :heartpump: xx

If you want a thread stickied just let me know. But Mods dont necessarily make the threads, we just stick them.

I hope I have not spoken out of turn, as I am sure nobody on here wants a "them and us" situation.

Definitely not speaking out of turn as far as I am concerned, Red Heart - as you say, we all start as newbies, and gain confidence as we go.

I like to give what help and support I can because I feel I am paying forward the the help and support I got when I blundered onto this forum a few months ago.

I just wish we had some way of tagging threads, so you could click on "yogurts" and get links to all the other conversations on yogurts, rather than to type out the same answers each time.

I just wish we had some way of tagging threads, so you could click on "yogurts" and get links to all the other conversations on yogurts, rather than to type out the same answers each time.

If you do a search in the Dukan forum for something like yoghurt then itll give all the yoghurt threads, click on one, cut and paste the URL and post it ;)

I do that a lot when Im banging my head in frustration off the keyboard ;)

id like to add the perspective of one the newbies that read this thread as it was aimed at me (in general of course!)

i joined today but have used the site before when ive put queries into google and this forum would appear.

when i read the initial post i felt it was a little condescending, thats not meant to offend or annoy anyone, but it was how i felt reading it, and to be fair as a regular user of other forums, something like that will tend only to annoy people who are proper users of a forum as apposed to the people who the post may have been aimed at.

generally if someone joins a forum and asks questions as detailed in the first post its a desperate attempt to get some answers instead of making some silly mistake that a seasoned and well versed dukaner would be able to steer them clear of.

the reply from the wise is what determines whether someone comes back or not, and if the person comes back that is to the benefit of all the forum members as well as themselves.

as someone who just joined in the last hour i think it left a very bad taste in my mouth to find the members having a bit of a tiff about the treatment of "newbies" regardless of whether either side made good arguments or otherwise.

surely there is a way of making a "sticky" stating the rules and/or the procedure for using the forum that people would not find condescending and to be quite frank, stupid for asking questions.

and while i sign off, i just wanted to give a "newbie's" perspective on the post.. as at the end of the day, sometimes even the most stupid of questions to one person, could be just the tit-bit of info another was looking for, newbie or otherwise.

I take this perspective as i am a law student, who over the years has learned that the ignorant are not the ones that ask questions.. its the ones who are afraid for fear of looking stupid...

bubbles61999

Please just remember that "seasoned and well versed dukaners" are also just as afraid of getting it wrong.

They take time out of their own lives, their own issues food or health, children, cooking, elderly parents, demanding jobs, commuting, shopping, cooking - and their own doubts and fears about the diet.

No wants to refuse to help - and no one has refused to help - but it is equally hurtful when the best advice someone can give is rejected, and worse, treated as an insult or injury.

Atropos, while i agree with the sentiment of your reply, it doesnt really refer to my post.

my post is merely in reference to the original post regarding newbies.

as regards whether people thank or appreciate help, that is nothing at all to do with being a newbie or being experienced, its rudeness, or in some cases, a mere difference of opinion (of course i am speaking without seeing any examples so it could be either)

I, personally (from my experience on other forums) will answer questions that relate to something i have experience in, and if the op takes my opinion or advice on board is really irrelevent to me.

at the end of the day, your weight loss speaks for itself, if people choose not to take your advice, that really is their loss, not yours.

please, i hope you dont take my comments personally, i have seen your replies to quite a few posts and find your posts helpful and informed. i am just giving my opinion on the original post, from the perspective of a newbie.

I must admit I can see where Maintainer is coming from. The number of threads on here that you see repeated day in day out, week in, week out is exasperating at times. Yes people need help and guidance but when youre reading the 5th thread asking the very same question in a matter of days it gets frustrating to say the least.

If people, new, and old, would take time to look around, or do a search it would save so many repetitve threads

is there a facility for moderators to put up a sticky with the guidelines and maybe some FAQ's of the most common questions asked??

that way you could refer the lost lambs to a page, get me?

then you could do a poll of the most commonly asked questions and experienced posters can post their most annoyingly asked questions.

I think its really hard on forums to interpret someones reply and oftentimes people see an insult or injury where none is intended. Most of us are looking for advice, support, and friendship among others who have experienced what we are trying to deal with and perhaps have figured it out:).

That said, trying to do Dukan correctly without the book is really difficult. The quick overviews you get on web sites, magazines, or newspapers don't give you the full rationale and its harder to make the commitment to the lifestyle change - you're more likely to look at it as another "fad" diet. Trying it for 2 weeks and then giving up can result in greater weight gain, which noone wants.

Back