New Starters. Roll on up!!

Hey everyone I'm Hollie aka Kitten84, I am in Northern Ireland and have been doing Atkins for about 2 weeks.
I lost 9lbs in the first week but nothing else this last week as i had terrible flu, antibiotics and everything! I didn't "cheat" I just didn't do anything, eat, drink much etc, however I'm feeling fine now so ready to get back into it.
I am not upset about last week as 9lbs is alot to me so thats more than good enough for 2 weeks in my mind if that makes sense.
You all seem lovely and friendly, its so important to find people who know what your going through.
Abz i just wanted to point out that you should be eating absoloutely no fruit during the induction not sure if you know that but for a "clean" induction as they say, it must be followed as acurately as possible.
Also to the person who asked about the Atkins bars you only need count what net carbs it says on the front of the bars, I cant remember all the names or fancy words but there are other sugars in the bars that dont change your blood level and Atkins deduct these too but because of legislation cannot put all this info on the back (no room either i guess!) So you can trust them 100% the chocolate decedance ones are the best, like big choc brownies.
I have done so much research before starting this I was one of the dubious ones, didn't want to know about Atkins due to bad press but I am now an avid believer and this is definately my new plan for life, best of luck to you all Hollie. x

Last edited:
Morning all and welcome Hollie, there is a weekly weigh in thread if you want to go and post your successes there love. Was that the Atkins flu or the genuine variety then?

Belle, Cheese stalls some people, I am one , but others have no problem. The other big staller is citrix in flavoured drinks, you might want to check how much of that you are drinking.

Hi Domino.

Sane, the bars can be confusing depending on where they originate from, in the US you can subtract the fibre, but if they are from the EU it's the net carbs you go by.

Last edited:
why is it so hard to get a salad that doesnt contain pasta or potatoes? .

LOL, tell me about it! A "pasta salad" often contains no salad vegetables whatsoever, I don't get how they can get away with that kind of labeling.

Belle, you'll be very very lucky if that KFC doesn't stall you honey, it's not so much the carb count as the type of carb (flour & sugar) that's in the coating. Have you checked out my experiment with a low carb southern fried chicken recipe? It's toward the end of the recipes thread, it uses soy flour which is much lower carb and might help you with those KFC cravings (I'm a fellow sufferer!)...

Welcome Hollie, 9lbs is a fantastic first week result and don't worry, most people lose little or nothing in the second week.

Domino - Real Life is going to have to come first from time to time, sometimes weight loss has to take a back seat. Don't worry you know you can jump back into it when you're ready.

Hope I didn't leave anyone out!

hey guys.

jim, did you mean citrix? as far as i know, software solutions aren't in carbonated drinks??

i nearly switched out of atkins today for various reasons but decided against it. i have decided i need to be a little less hard core. not because i'm finding it difficult. in fact i found it hard considering eating carbs again, ha. but because i feel better with more veg in me.

still, i came back from the supermarket very very light of pocket... not sure we can afford this for much longer. it's costing me far more than cd ever did...

abz xx

Hey all - just wanted to say that I dared to tread on the scales today and I've actually lost 4lbs this week :eek: I am mega pleased about that.

I'm still having a 'break' though - too much stuff going on, but when I say 'break' I don't mean, stuff my face and eat loads of high carb rubbish. Just, staying off the scales, eating well - meat, fish, eggs and veggies - but not actually counting the carb values.

I've been awake for about 36 hours now, so feeling a bit jaded - my dear daughter going through some emotional crisis right now, and I'm right there with her.

It's hard being a mum sometimes

Will stay on the forum keeping an eye on you all :D

Domino thats great news always seems that bit more exciting when you dreaded getting on and suddenly realise its good news! I hope your family issues resolve themselves quickly, it is completely sensible to lay off the extra sresses of counting etc when you obviously have more important things to worry about just now, lots of love to you and your family. x

Hi ALL
Thanks for the advice ,weighed this morning lost 2 pounds .....yipee!!!!!

Still going to cut out the cheese for a while though and use the carbs for some nuts and berries !!!!
Heading out for the night tommorrow night to the pub first time since starting atkins....will be staying on the vodka and 7up free!!
hope everyone enjoys the weekend!!

well done domino, and i'm sorry to hear that your daughter is going through something.

well done belle!!

i'm really hoping i turn out to be someone that can eat cheese because damn am i trying, ha. will have to see how my losses go...

i'm at work now and for the next 9 hours. have been here an hour and so far it's gone very quickly, ha.

yesterday i had a cracker of a headache, it made me sick but didn't quite make it to migraine proportions. i'm just hoping it doesn't rear it's ugly head while i'm working and having to stare at this screen all day...

abz xx

so far so good laura. the odd throb but not too bad. i have the berlin marathon playing in the background to distract me from staring at this screen for too long at once :)

abz xx

Hi and congrats to all the newbies - great losses! :D

Yup, screen breaks are a must abz - I know it is naughty for the environment but when reading I tend to print stuff out to avoid eyestrain...

ha. no chance of that hooya!!

i had an argument with a woman at work today who was trying to give me two cherries and i refused to eat them. i felt a little ridiculous actually, but she conceded defeat in the end :D hee. but they looked bloody gorgeous!!

might make tacos tonight. i do them with lettuce leaves instead of the taco shell, and minimal tomato, and they are truly truly scrummy :D

this is something i came up with when i was low-carbing years ago but i still prefer to use lettuce leaves than tacos when not low-carbing, ha.

abz xx

well, the tacos were a huge success!! have to be careful with the salsa and the taco spices as they are hugely carby, ha. but i reduced the amounts i had and it worked brilliantly. will definately be having them again. and OH just had the shells like usual :)

i am lonely here on the weekend... that's what happens when you work through the weekend. you end up on minis :D

water is going well today. had a litre so far and two cups of green tea and i'm about to have a decaff coffee. shouldn't have a problem in meeting my three litres of water a day target, plus whatever other drinks i have :)

weigh in day tomorrow so wish me luck :D

abz xx

Abz, good luck for your wi tmoz hun, will be thinking of ya as it's mine on mondays too :) Those taco's sound lush!! You should put how you do em onto the recipe thread! :) I'm always looking to try new things..

ha, i just use the taco packs and wrap it all up in lettuce leaves rather than taco... and use less of the salsa when i make them up, ha. but it isn't a recipe of my own. just a nifty little idea...

ooh, sounds good linzi... although i'm terrible with bready things. probably best if i just avoid them all together :D

Hey all, I just finished my 3 rd day on Induction, it would have been my 4th but I had way too much fruit to start, lol. I am down 3 lbs, which I thought wasn't great. Then I thought "a pound a day!!!" thats great, if i can keep that up. I just love reading all of the posts here. You can tell that most if not all of you are in the UK or Europe. You have great words and sayings, and wierd food too ;) I am in British Columbia, Canada.
I really haven't been hungry at all and am not craving carbs?? I just came off a DIY VLCD where I was eating 600 cal per day. I lost 22 lbs in the first 2 weeks and then NOTHING for the next 2 weeks. I didn't want my hair to fall out so I decided to switch it up, keep the body confused.
I dont have portion control problems, I had bariatric surgery done 10 years ago, but needless to say--I'm still fat!

Abz when you said that your were thinking about not doing Atkins, were you wanting to switch to a Zero carb type diet? I have read a lot of it on the net, and it sounds interesting, but I think that I would get board after a while.
My weigh in days are on Thrusdays, so I will let you know here how it's going. Hope everyone is feeling great. Thanks for the Thread Abz!

Morning all, some good losers here, well done,

LOL abz, is citrix still around? I haven't worked with that since the early '00's.

ha. in some places it is jim, i'm sure one of our servers uses it...

hi there daisylou. welcome and well done on getting to day three :)

no, when i was thinking of coming off atkins i was going to do a calorie controlled diet, probably still keeping the carbs fairly low, but no need now. i've been to the docs and he said i can continue low-carbing whilst trying to get preggers, so woo.

i lost 3.5lbs this week. so that's 8.5 in a fortnight. not bad at all. it doesn't rival some of the losses on here, but i am happy with it. that's not far from what i lost my first fornight of cd, and i was a lot heavier then, so it's going well :)

day off today so think i'm going to pootle about a bit.

abz xx

Hiya and welcome daisylou!

You can tell that most if not all of you are in the UK or Europe. You have great words and sayings, and wierd food too

No, YOU'VE got weird food. :p

So is Low Carb as popular in Canada as it is in the US? Do you find that there are more low carb products in the supermarket or are you pretty much limited to net shopping as we are in the UK?

Back