New to s&s

LouMo

I guys was planning to start CD on wed but have now discovered s&s and heard it is more or less the same but alot chesper which is ideal for my financial situation. I am starting out on shakes just now to see how i get on. Any info anyone can give me would be great and how long do you stay on the shakes for? X

It's up to you LouMo. You can have any of the Slim and Save products right from the start, you don't have to start on shakes only if you don't want to. The main rules are that you can only have 1 product mixed with milk per day (the porridge or crispy shakes - everything else is mixed with water), and you can only have 1 bar or pack of wafers per day. I usually have 1 shake, 1 bar and 1 meal or porridge. There are people who only have the shakes though. You just have to choose the options that suit you personally.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any specific questions that aren't answered in the Frequently Asked Questions sticky:

http://www.minimins.com/slim-save/243353-slim-save-frequently-asked-questions.html

Welcome to S&S. You will get an information leaflet when your order comes through which will give you the basics. Pretty much if you stick to the diet it will take 3-4 days to get into ketosis, it's a hard 3-4 days but if you get through it it becomes much easier as you're not really hungry. Make sure you drink lots and lots of water. At the beginning especially you may feel like your peeing for britain but that's normal. It's also normal to get slightly constipated as you aren't eating solids as often so some people find a laxative once or twice a week helps.

Good luck for doing shakes only, I know I couldn't!! If you find you struggle to stick to it doing just shakes then there is nothing different about adding in some meals or bars, they're pretty much the same nutritionally. As for how long you stay on them it is recommended you have a 2 week break after 12 weeks, personally I'm splitting this to a week's break after week 6 and week 12. You stop whenever you're ready.

Ohhh i didnt know you could eat meals bars etc aswell? As CD is shakes/soups only at the beginning. Are the meals etc the same calorie vslue etc? Can anyone give me some ideas of their weight loss and what to expect? Thanks for your help guys! X

The meals / bars have about the same calories as the soups / shakes. You can also have an optional portion of certain vegetables that some people have and some don't.

Weight loss varies from person to person but they say to expect about a stone a month as per most of the other VLCDs. If you have a lot to lose you might even lose a stone in a couple of weeks, but after the first 2 weeks it's generally around a stone a month.

Ok thats great and thanks so much for your help. This will help with being at work just grabbing a bar. What about maintaining or do you just do the 12 weeks have a break then what do you do? Sorry bout all the questions! X

I've had 2 breaks so far - one after 6 weeks as I had a holiday, and another for Xmas / New Year. After a break (where you could go completely off plan like I did, or choose to low carb for that week to maintain ketosis) you just restart the VLCD.

I've just started back (last Wed) and will try to go through to Easter before taking my next break if I haven't got to goal by then. When I get to goal (or just before) I will start to refeed and add a meal (bit like the Cambridge 810 plan) and then up the calories every few weeks until I get to the stage where I have found the right number of calories for me to maintain a stable weight. Longer term I hope to do something low GI as I can't low carb forever.

I haven't got there yet though - I'm concentrating on getting to goal at the moment :)

Thanks borders girl you have really inspired me you have made it sound alot more achievable than some. Im going to order now half shakes half meals. I will let you know how i get on. Good luck for WI on wed! X

The other thing I do is not have my first shake until around 10am. I have to leave for work at about 7.20 and if I had it before I left then not only would I be glugging it down as I'm generally running late in the mornings I would be starving by lunchtime. I have a shake at about 10am (make up in a hand shaker), a bar at around 2pm and then my 'meal' at about 7 - 8 pm and I don't feel hungry that way. Some people split their shakes and bars into 2 so they have more 'meals' and some people don't have anything at all until the afternoon as they feel most hungry in the evenings. It's really about finding the best option for you.

The first few days are tough but if you're highly motivated you will easily get through them, and once ketosis hits you won't feel hungry. Any hunger you feel then is generally in the mind :)

I'll be doing the 12 weeks on the shakes and then a break/add a meal week and then back on til I get to goal and maintenance. I have 4.5 stone to lose.

I do 2 shakes and a bar each day. Shakes wise I like them hot and the flavours that I choose, vanilla, caramel, hazelnut - I like to add extra water and add some coffee so it's like a flavoured latte :)

Choc I have hot as a hot choc too.

Hi LouMo. I've done a week on 3 packs per day and had some salad/veg with my evening pack. I have a shake in the mornin (between 6-8) a bar or wafers for lunch (between 12-1) and then a meal pack in the evening (between 5.30-7). I drink at least 2 litres of water each day as well. like the evening packs with salad so i can eat with my family. I lost 13lbs this week so was over the moon frankly! :)

Thats fab chuffy well done! What salad and veg do you have? I love my peas and carrots and lettuce and onions but do they Not take you out of ketosis? X

The guidance you get with the packs tells you all the veg but i have lettuce, cucumbers. gherkins, mushrooms, spring onions, and broccoli and i always weigh them. As i only have 3 packs i have also had some grilled chicken a couple of times when out st parents so i can join in with everyone. The water is really important though, oh and the right frame of mind! ;)

Chuffy_29 said:
The guidance you get with the packs tells you all the veg but i have lettuce, cucumbers. gherkins, mushrooms, spring onions, and broccoli and i always weigh them. As i only have 3 packs i have also had some grilled chicken a couple of times when out st parents so i can join in with everyone. The water is really important though, oh and the right frame of mind! ;)

Ohh u had the gherkins, we had a discussion on here as to what type we were allowed n never really came to any conclusion. What kind u been having n how much of them? X

Good luck with it

you can do it however you want

Im expecting my new order tomoro and will be doing 4 meals per day

mid morning cottage pie

mid afternoon chilli con carni

evening meal spag bol with 200g veg

supper porridge

the shakes dont really do it for me , I like to feel like Ive had a meal and the bars are addictive for me , if I have one I want 4 more

Thats what i like about it , its very flexible and also it doesnt cost me much more than i would spend on food anyway

Best of luck keep us posted

Blimey Phoenix - you have all of the meal options every day :)

Welcome! .. Im just about to start s'n's too :) .. I ordered mine yesterday so im expecting it on Tuesday. Im doin 4 a day (shake for brekky, bar for lunch, meal for dins and a shake evening snack) Il see how i get on and if I can hack it i might go down to 3 with some veg.

Just go with the flow, see how it works for you! I love the flexibility & if U dont like the combo one week, just change it the next!

Good luck!
x

Back