Extra Easy New to the forums

porkypaul

Hi all...Hoping to use this forum for inspiration and help.

Started with SW on Monday 8th Nov (2010)
and had my firstly weekly weigh in on the 15th...Managed to lose 12 1/2lbs

Starting weight was 20s 12 1/2lb and target weight is 15 stone.

Long road ahead but the journey is underway :)

WOWSA!! What a fantastic 1st week loss!!! That is amazing! Well done you :)

Welcome aboard, look forward to getting to know you xx

welcome to the forums Paul, its a fabby place for info and ideas.

Fabbbby first week!!! Good luck on the rest of your weightloss journey

Helen xxx

Hi Paul :D

I started around the same time as you (the 10th), how the hell did you manage such a huge loss! That's amazing, you are doing well...those Mondays will soon come around and you will be down to 15st in no time :cool:

Fantastic first week. I'm sure that will help keep you motivated. I know someone (male) who lost over 6 stone in <6 months. You should do really well. Keep us posted (although we may all be a bit jealous !!)

Good luck.

Gail x

Welcome and well done so far!! xx

Once again, thanks for all the positive comments- it's so good to know I'm surrounded (on here) by so many people who understand and who, I know, will help.

I've been too big for too long and I know I have a long and tough journey in front of me. I'm not kidding myself that it's going to be easy, even after losing so much during the first week.

Having thought about it, I believe the most difficult battle will be with my mind-set. Having spent decades despising myself because of what I see in the mirror, it'll be difficult to readjust and actually like/love the reflection that's staring back at me. For that reason, I'm interested to hear from others who have managed to do that and how they have.

Also, if one has often used food as a comfort what do you turn to now
if using food isn't an option?

I totally agree about difficulties with mind set. One of the things that you must do as you lose weight is to make sure that you are wearing the right size clothes. I tend to wear baggy things on the top, but when I wear more fitted clothes in my new size, it's much more obvious to others and I get far more comments.

I used to not be able to resist comfort eating - I just couldn't face up to the consequences until afterwards, no matter what I said to myself before I ate it, but now the stakes are high for me (I desperately want to be successful this time) and it will affect my weight loss so I often (but not always) choose not to. I also know my weak points so if I am concerned that one thing will lead to another, I try to take action eg if I want a treat sized crunchie I know that once I have one, I will want another, so I make sure that I take it well away from the rest of the bag before I eat it. It saves just dipping in without thinking carefully about it.

One of the important things to remember is that you are likely to have difficult days and times along the way. It happens. We don't reverse our bad habits overnight. So if/when it happens, don't chastise yourself, just draw a line under it and keep going. The people here will really help you. And when you get to maintenance that's when the real battle begins (I think, because I've never got there) but as you say, people here understand and they will look after you, comfort you when you're down and share in your successes. So keep posting and good luck !

Gail x

Hello Porky Paul, firstly congratulations on joining Slimming World, coming from a bloke i understand how hard it is to make this decision.
Now reading your first few posts i can see exactly where your coming from and looking at your stats and first weigh in it it has near enough matched mine, we joined minimins 1 day apart are near enough the same height, i weighed 20st 13lbs lost 13lbs in week 1 and have a target of 15 stone, remarkable!
It will be great to have someone who is on a similar journey to me to check in with!

I wish you all the very best in your journey and i'm sure all the lovely people on here will be right behind you with support and encouragement.

Rick

Thank you for your insight GL, it's much appreciated and something I'll come back to and read on a regular basis :)

Rick82...Thanks for the reply and it is quite spooky how similar our journey's are going to be. It was tough walking in there on the first week, knowing 95% + of those there would be ladies...But they've all been great thus far. It will be great to monitor your progress alongside mine (and vice-versa) - perhaps drawing inspiration from each other as well.

Hi Paul, Well done on your first loss. It's fantastic!

As someone who started much much bigger than you and had to see myself every day like that for a long time I think it's important to take lots of pictures, maybe a film of you now. Looking back at these in a few months time will help you if you're like me. Last week I found a photo that I'd forgotten about from my fattest period. I took a pic to compare my face and admit to being quite shocked at the difference. It was the first time that I'd really noticed my loss despite others telling me for ages that there was a big difference. I wish I had more pictures of before, it would be great to see how far I've come and to keep them as a reminder of why I can never go back.

Comfort eating is very very tricky. I'd love to say that it just goes away with time but it's not been the case for me. Keeping busy has helped me, I started a college course so the actual time that I have to think about food is reduced significantly. I still have the odd time where absolutely nothing I tell myself will stop me bingeing though. In fact, yesterday was one of those times. I needed comfort and I ate far more than I have done for months, the only difference was that I limited it to mainly free food. This way I didn't feel so bad afterwards. Will it make a difference to my next weigh in? Perhaps, but I know that the control which I managed will have limited the damage a great deal. I'm hoping that I won't be faced with an uncontrollable need to comfort myself again and maybe it will have been the last time but if not it's just a case of limiting the damage.

You've shown how well the plan works and I'm sure that it will continue. Remember that all losses count even if they sometimes seem small. It soon adds up.

Good luck.:D

Wowza Paul, what a fab first 2 weeks, keep going like this and you will be where you want to be in no time! This forum is a place for ideas, inspiration and comfort, so use it whenever you feel the need to... I do!!!

Keep going and remember we are all in this together! xxx

Back