New to Zumba - scared!!!

bellareh

Hi!

I have been wanting to do Zumba for an age but have only just found someone who runs classes close to where I live.

I really wanna do it but am scared! I am classed as obese and worried about being the only big girl in a group of skinny fit people!

Also worried cos I'm a beginner that I won't be able to keep up with the moves!

Are my worries actually anything to worry about?! :confused:

Would like people's opinions on what Zumba classes are like and if it's easy to learn as a beginner?

Thankyou! :D

i would say just do it. you can do the lower impact til you get used to it. your first class is going to be confusing as you'll need to learn the moves but don't let that put you off. it won't take long for you to learn them :) i love it.

Thankyou! Will give it a go!

Hope you enjoy zumba :) Just let go and have fun! Enjoy!

Hi, I'm a size 20 sometime 22.
I went along to my group and it was filled with people of all ages and sizes. I say go for it. Its fun and lifts you spirit xx

Just go for it I started last yr 2 stone heavier and have lost that 2 stone doing zumba - just can't stick to diets I loved it so much I got certified to be an instructor I am still overweight and I was so nervous but sick of my weight holding me back on things - and I thought and hoped that people who came to my classes could say " well she can do it so can I " it's all about having fun - and Exercise in disguise- I now instruct 5 classes a wk and still attend my fav classes on top of that , everyone is concentrating on their own steps to worry bout any one else.
If you don't like a particular class try another - instructors all have there own style
I know at least 1/3 of my class felt the same as you did, hope u bite the bullet you will love it and wonder why you didn't start earlier xxxx
have FUN and enjoy !!!! that's what zumba is about

jacquicharlie said:
Just go for it I started last yr 2 stone heavier and have lost that 2 stone doing zumba - just can't stick to diets I loved it so much I got certified to be an instructor I am still overweight and I was so nervous but sick of my weight holding me back on things - and I thought and hoped that people who came to my classes could say " well she can do it so can I " it's all about having fun - and Exercise in disguise- I now instruct 5 classes a wk and still attend my fav classes on top of that , everyone is concentrating on their own steps to worry bout any one else.
If you don't like a particular class try another - instructors all have there own style
I know at least 1/3 of my class felt the same as you did, hope u bite the bullet you will love it and wonder why you didn't start earlier xxxx
have FUN and enjoy !!!! that's what zumba is about

Well done tgats fantastic xx

Def give Zumba a go!!

I joined my local class this weekend just to see what all the fuss was about and I already feel hooked!
I'm a size 20/22 and was so scared about walking through the doors but everyone was lovely and my instructor made it so much fun that I soon forgot about any nerves or worries. Sure I got steps wrong but nobody seemed to notice and I soon picked up the moves. I can't wait for next week now... bring it on! :)

I'm a size 20/22 & have been going to zumba for the last 6 weeks & love it!!

I go on my own & was dreading going but I just don't care anymore as I love the class so much. :)

I go to 2 very different classes taken by 2 very different instructors but I love them both. And 1 of my instructors also takes a lbt class which I love too.

I'm no dancer but so long as i keep moving & keep my heart rate up I feel like I've had a good workout. :D

For anybody daunted by it - please don't be, you'll love it. :D

I started zumba as size 22 and wasn't the largest person there. I have since become addicted and now do 4-5 classes a week. I have made so many new friends and now have to get there early just to catch up on gossip. I have gone from being a chocoholic couch potato to being 2 stone lighter and now a size 16 all in the last 12 weeks. Zumba has given me so much confidence and also I discovered I do actually have hips and can now move and shake them!!! I would definitely say try it. You might just love it. :D

zumba is definitely addictive!

Before I started zumba theres no way I would come home from work & then go back out a few hours later to go to the gym but with zumba I can't wait until 8pm!!

I love it! My instructor has given me back my passion for exercise. :D

I would also say give it a few weeks to learn some of the choreography then you will start to enjoy it more and work harder as you're not concentrating so much on the moves. The usually only put in a couple of new tracks each week so over the weeks you get to learn each dance really well and if it is a new track everyone will be learning it and going wrong so you will be the same as the rest of the class.

Well I've just got back from my 1st zumba class of the week. God did the instructor make us work or what?!!

She introduced some zumba fitness into tonights routine. It was fast & hard but I still loved it.

Roll on Wednesday night. :D

Well done Boo!
I'm glad you're loving it! I went to my first Zumba class on Saturday and am totally hooked.... I'm already searching for a mid-week class to attend as well.
I love how it's a real work out but so much fun at the same time!
I can't stop spreading the word of Zumba and now two of my sisters and my mum attend classes near to them. Proof that it really is for all ages, sizes and abilities! :)
I love it... lets just hope it helps to shift the pounds!

Go!! You'll have great fun and I dout you'll be the biggest there. When I started I was a size 22 and now I'm a 18. I'm not the biggest or the eldest there. Don't worry about picking up the moves straight away. No one dose :) Everthing is repeated so you'll soon be able to follow along. I'll be very surprised if you don't get hooked. Enjoy!

I've been thinking about this for a while but only one class a week that I can make because of work which is a bit annoying. Think I might give it a go. You girls sound like you're having a fab time.

It is great fun.. Besides anything ealse you can dance your stresses away. No one cares what you look like and if it's anything like the classes I go to you'll spend half your time laughing..Good luck and have fun :D

Thanks Littlesis :0

HI All,

Can you let me know if this is very high impact? I get so embarassed exercising in a group as I get soooo sweaty!!! That on top of being obese makes it very uncomfortable! Is Zumba in any way similar to Salsa Slims? I did two courses of Salsa slims and realy enjoyed it

I've never done Salsa Slim but I would think they're simler. You exercise using salsa,mambo,meragy(?), reggaton, belly dancing and a bit of hip hop. Everyone gets sweaty so don't worry about that and I'm 3stn over weight and not the biggest in my classes.. No one cares your all there to get fit and have fun..... Give it a go :D

Back