New today but need advice!

becca_bops

helloooo!

I'm on day one today and very excited- but my diet counsellor lady has said some things that seem to contradict the booklet and what I have seen on here so just want to double check..

so, I'm doing ss, but she said I CAN have one drink of a diet fizzy drink a day like coke, and can have have clear spirits like vodka, gin etc, and also said (this was weird) that if i crave something she recommends taking a bite, chewing then spitting it out rather than swallowing. so, is it just me, or is advice just plain wrong???

is anyone else starting today/ this week as i'm going to need some support haha!!

becca :)

I would not recommend vodka or clear spirits! Apparently if you're in ketosis drinking can prove fatal!!! I got told by my CDC you will get drunk really quickly and feel sick!

I've been drinking Pepsi Max and although we're not really supposed to, it's not hindered my weight loss at all. Not sure about chewing and spitting food out though.

Hope this helps,

E xxx

some people do seem to have one or two cans of diet coke a week, but its not on the list of drinks, and no way for the alcohol, you could end up in the hospital...

My cdc said I could have up to two cans of coke zero a day, but I don't want to risk not losing as much as I can or not staying in ketosis so i'm sticking to water. If I get bored in a few weeks I might need a can then but for now it's water, water, and more water!

i'm just back from my cambridge woman and i'm in shock for what i'm seeing written here. My woman said I could only have three things, the cambridge packs, water and black coffee or tea. I'm reading the yellow book and that seems to be the right advice.

i'm just back from my cambridge woman and i'm in shock for what i'm seeing written here. My woman said I could only have three things, the cambridge packs, water and black coffee or tea. I'm reading the yellow book and that seems to be the right advice.
That was the advice I was given, three packs a day and water, black tea or coffee and nothing else. I was also told I could go up to 4 packs if I felt I needed to, which I have on a couple of the days. Fizzy drinks and chewing food but not swallowing, this just doesnt sound right, especially the latter.

ditto!

I know people do have extra things but please god no to the drink!!

I have water, tea or coffee (I am on ss+ so have 200mls of milk lucky me:rolleyes:)

helloooo!

I'm on day one today and very excited- but my diet counsellor lady has said some things that seem to contradict the booklet and what I have seen on here so just want to double check..

so, I'm doing ss, but she said I CAN have one drink of a diet fizzy drink a day like coke, and can have have clear spirits like vodka, gin etc, and also said (this was weird) that if i crave something she recommends taking a bite, chewing then spitting it out rather than swallowing. so, is it just me, or is advice just plain wrong???

is anyone else starting today/ this week as i'm going to need some support haha!!

becca :)

Hi Becca,
I started yesterday. I am finding it easier than I expected, hope you have the same experience.

As for that advice, it seems wrong to me. Alcohol has carbs in it that would mess up ketosis, as well as inducing kebab shop food cravings!
Also I think that chewing food and spitting it out is surely due to make it much more difficult to avoid eating the food:hmm: and seems a little bit like a strong foundation for an eating disorder.
If in doubt I'd suggest just following the books.
Good luck
Sinead
x

Hi guys, thanks for the advice! yeah i'm not a drinker anyway so will keep spirits off the menu!!! I think i'll stick to the water for now!!! So actually day one has been fine, no cravings or anything, but i've been keeping busy and that's helped as i'm totally a compulsive eater.

well, will keep you all posted as to how i go in the next week :)

becca x

Good luck Becca! What your counsellor has said sounds totally weird to me - I'm completely sure you're not supposed to drink alcohol and OMG the chewing food and spitting it out thing - how odd! Surely the whole point is that you're taking yourself away from food for a while, not making yourself even more hungry by tasting food that you aren't allowed to swallow. I think she's mixing lots of diet advice she's heard over the years together to make her own special blend of madness! xx

The main problem with grain alcohol whilst on this diet, is not that it contains carbs, nor that it is broken down into carbs (it isn't, its broken down into acetates), but that if you do not have any food in you digestive system, then alcohol is absorbed much faster into your blood stream and you get drunk very quickly, and you are more likley to pass out even if you are just drinking at your regular rate, as each drink just goes straight into your bloodstream, with hardly any delay, so the level builds up much faster and as you are breaking it down at a constant rate, then this means it will peak higher than it normally would.

Chewing and spitting is a recognised disordered eating behaviour. DO NOT attempt it. I am astounded that it was advised.

The main problem with grain alcohol whilst on this diet, is not that it contains carbs, nor that it is broken down into carbs (it isn't, its broken down into acetates), but that if you do not have any food in you digestive system, then alcohol is absorbed much faster into your blood stream and you get drunk very quickly, and you are more likley to pass out even if you are just drinking at your regular rate, as each drink just goes straight into your bloodstream, with hardly any delay, so the level builds up much faster and as you are breaking it down at a constant rate, then this means it will peak higher than it normally would.

Thank you for explaining that so clearly!:D
I shall be on the water at my nieces christening for def!!!

Aparently..............Alcohol is derived from high-carbohydrate fermentables such as sugar, molasses, potatoes, or various grains. If you understand the processes of fermentation and distillation, you'll know that the end result of distillation is ethyl alcohol, a zero-carb liquid.

I really think that if you want to achieve a motivating weight loss in your 1st week I would just follow the rules in the yellow book....no fizzy drinks, no alcohol and certainly no chewing and spitting out! I know it sounds tough but it will be so worth it when you go for your weigh in.
Good Luck and let us know how you are getting on

so, I'm doing ss, but she said I CAN have one drink of a diet fizzy drink a day like coke, and can have have clear spirits like vodka, gin etc,

ABSOLUTELY NO ALCOHOL while you are in ketosis :eek::eek::eek:

and, CD do not recommend diet coke (has citric acid - which may kick you out of ketosis) - WATER, WATER and more WATER !!!

good luck !

Debz xx

Back