New! :)

x letty x

Hi everyone,

I started the induction phase of Atkins last Thursday, 1st October. I tried it before last year for a couple of weeks but it was quite a half hearted attempt and I soon gave it up, but I'm back now after trying all sorts of other diets and getting nowhere in the long term.. I've tried Alli, low-fat/calorie, even a few weeks of borderline starvation in my desperation. Last week I felt I was ready to give low-carbing another go, properly this time. I'm fed up with switching from one diet plan to another and never getting anywhere..

I've read DANDR before and I feel quite confident that I know what I'm doing, so really I'm just looking for some moral support :)

I haven't weighed myself at all because I tend to get obsessed and any slight change on the scales can really get to me and throw me off track, so I'm going by how my clothes feel. And I think they're fitting better already :D

Thanks for reading and any support much appreciated...

Colette

Hi Collette
You sound just like me. I am starting today. My book arrived through the post from Amazon - so I've been on Atkins for 5 mins!!! In 2007 I lost 6 stones with an online diet called Kimkins. Unfortunately since then I put on 4 stones and have subsequently been through Lighterlife twice! Currently have around 4 stones to lose and sick of yo-yoing about and never feeling settled. Am very interested in settling blood sugar and insulin levels. My moods are up and down along with my weight :wave_cry:. Also I am going to avoid the scales - they really don't seem to help me - just make me more obsessed. How is the first week going? I am not looking forward to it but know that things get much better after yhe first few days. I suppose it is all about finding a way of eating for life. Well let's get going!!!!:)

Hi Colette and happy, welcome to our forum, have you read the stickies, they will help a lot along with the book. :)

Howdy from another newbie too :) the stickies are great, esp the recipes I made Jims meatloaf last nite and also some icecream and both were delish :) Id highly recommend the stickies too :)

I've had a look at the stickies Jim, this forum looks so active, I was posting on another site's forum and it was dead! So I'm glad I found you all here :)

Hi Cherryade, I'm going to have a look at some recipes too :) I really want to avoid getting stuck in a menu routine because boredom is another thing that sends me off track.. I know myself waaaay too well, lol..

I'd like to lose 3 or 4 stones too Happydays, so we're in the same boat! When I tried Atkins before, my mood and general emotional health really stabilised after the initial sugar withdrawal, which was quite bad I must admit! I had the headaches and tiredness.. I haven't had them this time around though :) my advice would be to stick with it through the first few rough few days, afterwards you'll feel soooo much better! It's going quite well for me, I was out on the town for my friend's birthday on Saturday, I was drinking all sorts AND I had a McDonalds on the way home, but the night had been planned for months and I'm absolutely not going to make a habit of it... I got straight back on track on Sunday morning and used a ketostick to see if I was still in ketosis, which I was.. unless my body needs a chance to catch up with the sugar.. think I'll test again tonight to make sure (I'm thinking aloud here, lol). I'm 100% focused on this now that night is out of the way. Anyway, good luck with your start on Atkins! Fingers crossed for success for us both, and everyone else on the forum! :D

Colette

It can get very busy Colette. :D

Colette you raise an interesting point for me.... I havent tested myself yet (waiting for my sticks to come!) but Ive been so good that I must be ... should I be testing morning or night? and can you have a blip and stay in K or have you got to be super rigid? Im have to be strict as if I slip I go flying off the wagon LOL

Hi letty and welcome.. I will say that atkins and low carbing works. I'm proof of that.. As long as you are committed and stay determined and most of all positive you will lose the weight. Just as everyone recommended the stickies are a lifesaver.. also make a food journal it helps to keep track of carbs and etc..

Also as far as the ketosis stixs I never used them. my bad breath was a dead give away LOL.. :D

Hi to all is it ok if i join your group please just stopped doing my other diet [similer to LL ] as i felt i needed to have some food 3 months and 5 1/2 stone down the road,felt maybe atkins was a better diet as im already in ketosis and i like the LBS falling of each week .sorry for the long post x

Hi snack and welcome, wow 5 1/2 stone, you are doing so well.

Have you read the stickies at the top of the forum?

Thanks for getting back to me jim havnt got my atkins book yet going to get it in a bit my understanding is that i can have 20 g carbs a day during induction is this right ? sorry to b a pain in the butt but ive only had to worry about milkshakes for 12 weeks xx:D

I know, it's quite a change isn't it. I posted a stickie called "So you're thinking of starting Atkins" which gives the basics while you wait for the book

In a nutshell you are supposed to have 3 mugs of chopped green leaf veggies a day and only eat non processed meat and fish. Drink plenty of water and read the labels, always read the labels.

Hi everyone..

I'm having a bit of a wobble today and it's only my seventh day. I've been feeling like I'm shrinking in the last seven days and my work trousers became comfortable and not bursting at the seams, but this morning I feel bloated and heavy again! It is TOM so maybe that's it... when I started I decided not to weigh myself so I didn't get obsessed, but now I'm thinking I should start so I have something to go by..

I wanted to check the rules of induction again to make sure I'm not making mistakes without realising but I can't find my copy of DANDR anywhere! Could any of you comment on what I'm eating...? A typical day is:

2 small sausages 4.2
mushrooms 0.4
streaky bacon 0

mackerel or salmon 0
salad 1
full fat dressing 2
mayo 0.4

chicken or pork 0
cheese (never sure whether to count cheese, I never seem to use enough to count?)
broccoli 4 or cauliflower 6

I wonder if I should be watching my portions more so I'm having two mackerel fillets at lunch instead of three. Also I wonder if I might be going a bit mad adding oil and butter to everything.. how much fat is too much? Will cutting back a bit on the fat make a difference to weight loss?

I did have two Atkins bars on the weekend when I was hungover and desperate for something sweet, and then there were the boozy Friday and Saturday nights, following by a McDonald's on Saturday night.. Jeez now I'm writing it down I can see I've not done very well at all in my first week! :cry:

Sorry for the long rambling post! Any help would be great, feeling rubbish about it all :sigh:

Colette

I don't think you are doing too bad at all Colette love, I'd personally like to see more green leaf veggies there, and as for fat and butter and stuff I eat loads,

Thanks Jim.. that brings me to another question though.. if, on induction, I should be eating three cups of salad vegetables OR two cups of salad vegetables plus one cup of green veggies, wouldn't that mean I'm already eating what I'm allowed, or more than I'm allowed? I have mushrooms at breakfast, salad at lunch and veg at dinner that is probably more than that. Soooo confused!!

Colette

Thanks Laura. I'm doing the same, counting the carbs in everything. It's just that I want to try to follow induction to the letter so I was wondering if I should be measuring in cups, according to the rules, but it would get confusing! My carbs are coming in a 10-15 a day so I'm fine with that.. I'm just worrying without good reason I think! :)

Colette

That's really question I was asking - I can clearly eat more veg to be within my allowance but would it go against the recommendation based on cups/volume. But I shall follow the carb allowance guideline and eat some more veg.

Thank you....

Thanks for the welcome guys finding diet difficult as i have nt eaten in so long it feels like im cheating by eating all this fat etc.Just ordered my atkins book so will b following it word for word thanks again for being so welcoming it realy helps when you have others to help you xx

It can be hard to get your head around it snack. Ask away, we will be here to help.

Hi sorry its me yet again book still not here so please bear with me till it comes does this sound ok .
B=2 eggs 100g cheese 4 carbs
L=1 cup of red pepper.2 cup mixed lettuce.tuna. 8 carbs
D=chicken,1 cup salad 1 carb
1 x atkins day break bar 2 carbs
i make this 15 carbs is this right please thank you xx

Back