Newbie Alert!! Introduction and a few questions please...

Red Heart

Back on the Dukan wagon!
Hi everyone,
I've been reading this forum over the weekend, alongside the Dukan Diet Book and I am ready for the Attack Phase! :eek:

I am 41 years old and have been a yo-yo dieter for the past 20 years. :eek:
How I rue the day when, aged 20, I joined a slimming club, weighing just 9 stone, with a target of losing 1 stone! Well I reached my target and there started my battle with my weight.
Ironically, 9 stone is my target weight not my starting weight these days!:cry:

I have lost weight with slimming clubs, WW, SW and the South Beach diets, but I reach target and then I go back to my old ways and gain it back PLUS some extra! I'm sure the story sounds familiar to a few of you.

The last time I was slim was 11 years ago but that was more down to having gallstones and not eating much as I was afraid of the pain. Gallbladder was removed and I could eat again and I haven't stopped since!

Sorry, I'm waffling now.
I am now at my heaviest ever (except for when I was 9 months pregnant and I think I'm only 7lbs lighter than then!).
I think my BMI has just gone from the "overweight" category to "obese". Hardly any of my clothes fit and enough is enough so tomorrow I start the Dukan Diet.

I am a carboholic so it will be tough but I also know carbs make me windy and bloated so I am hoping that will ease with this diet.

I WILL need support and at times a firm kick up my (rather large) backside so feel free when the need arises.

I want to lose 3 stone if possible.
I will fill in my stats once I weigh myself tomorrow morning.

I've got a shopping list ready to go shopping tomorrow:
FF from frais,
FF cott cheese - can we get that in Morrisons?
Eggs
Fish - are the rectangular tins of sardines or mackerel allowed in Attack?
Chicken
Prawns
Beef
S/F jelly
Vanilla Mullerlight
Total 0% Greek Yog
Multi Vits
Quark
Skimmed Milk - I don't drink tea or coffee so will only use this to make a porridge with the oatbran. I get semi-skimmed for my family could I use that or is that a big no-no?
Mustard
Also need to check out sauces page for a few bits to make meat a bit more exciting!
Already bought oat bran from Tesco when I saw it in the week.
Anything else I need?

Planning on doing the Attack for 5-7 days, does that seem about right? (I'm 5ft 1.5" and hope to lose 3 stone in total) ?

I always do meal plans each week and I usually cook from scratch for the family so after the attack phase I hope to be able to try to eat similar to them - minus the potatoes, pasta, rice, etc.

Oh, one last question (if you are still reading!) I usually make my own burgers using steak mince, herbs, egg to bind and onion. Can I still have these on Attack? If so, what % fat should the mince be?

Oops that's 2 questions. Step away from the laptop....

Looking forward to "meeting" you all and thanks for reading. :)

Hello there! Welcome to Dukan :)

Have you been on the Dukan website and found your True Weight? Very helpful and that will also tell you how long you should do Attack for

Your shopping list looks fine - go easy on the SF jelly in Atack, it's allowed but don't go mad with it! You might have trouble finding 0% cottage cheese - i don't eat it myself but I know some of the ladies on here do and it seems tough to find 0% stuff

The goal of Dukan is obviously to keep carbs to a minimum but also to keep your fat intake right down, which is why the semi skimmed milk is a no I'm afraid. So, your burgers should be fine once you go really easy on the onion (for taste only, or leave it out and use some chives instead) but you should use the lowest possible fat mince

Best of luck!

Good luck! I've yo yo-ed too and much to my surprise am now on my 6th day of attack and not wavered once. I'm a carboholic in the extreme so if I can do it, anyone can!

Oh, and I couldn't find 0% cottage cheese anywhere but thats fine by me as the 4% stuff was horrible anyway! The only dairy items I tend to have are the milk in my tea and a tub of 0% total yoghurt.

Good luck with your first day.

Good luck! I've yo yo-ed too and much to my surprise am now on my 6th day of attack and not wavered once. I'm a carboholic in the extreme so if I can do it, anyone can!

Oh, and I couldn't find 0% cottage cheese anywhere but thats fine by me as the 4% stuff was horrible anyway! The only dairy items I tend to have are the milk in my tea and a tub of 0% total yoghurt.

Yes, I have to agree about the cottage cheese. We have 0% over here and it's really tough to choke it down...ugh. There's no joy in it believe me! ;)

Definitely do love 0% plain Greek yogurt. I mix in Splenda and a bit of vanilla flavoring.

Good luck Red Heart! Lots of help on this board. :)

Hi,

The mince shold be below 5% fat, which I can only find in sainsburys (the extra lean steak mince).

Hello there Welcome to Dukan :)

Have you been on the Dukan website and found your True Weight? Very helpful and that will also tell you how long you should do Attack for

Your shopping list looks fine - go easy on the SF jelly in Atack, it's allowed but don't go mad with it! You might have trouble finding 0% cottage cheese - i don't eat it myself but I know some of the ladies on here do and it seems tough to find 0% stuff

The goal of Dukan is obviously to keep carbs to a minimum but also to keep your fat intake right down, which is why the semi skimmed milk is a no I'm afraid. So, your burgers should be fine once you go really easy on the onion (for taste only, or leave it
out and use some chives instead) but you should use the lowest possible fat mince

Best of luck!

Thanks for your reply.
I was planning on having one bowl of SF jelly per day maximum. The sachets makes 4 small bowls, so would one small bowl per day be okay or too much? I just thought it would be handy to have in if I get a sweet craving.

I bought skimmed milk, so hoping when it's added to the oat bran I won't notice the difference.

Will check out my true weight and how long attack should last on the website.
Thanks.

I found 2.5% but I'm guessing that's still too much? I didn't buy it anyway.
Well done on your attack results, I hope I do well too. :)

Yes, I have to agree about the cottage cheese. We have 0% over here and it's really tough to choke it down...ugh. There's no joy in it believe me! ;)

Definitely do love 0% plain Greek yogurt. I mix in Splenda and a bit of vanilla flavoring.

Good luck Red Heart! Lots of help on this board. :)

Thanks, I bought the 0% total Greek yog. I couldn't find zero fromage frais, though. I also managed to get zero Quark.

Hi,

The mince shold be below 5% fat, which I can only find in sainsburys (the extra lean steak mince).

Thanks. I couldn't find extra lean in Morrison's so looks like a special trip to Sainsbury's is in order. Anyone know if Tesco do it, as that is much nearer for me?

Hi and well done on being organised:

Tesco did have one they call extra-lean but it had as much fat as Sainsbury 'lean' (11%) - at least did the last time I bought some last autumn.
Sainsbury extra-lean has 4.6 %

Or you could try buying normal lean cuts of beef (when it's on offer!), trimming very carefully any remaining fat, and then mincing yourself with a food processor. That's what I've been doing when large roasting joints were on offer in Sainsbury (my default shop)

Cottage cheese tends to have in the region of 1.5% fat (that low-fat versions). The lowest ones are Asda and Tesco Value ones (not sure what they are called exactly) which have less than 1% (0.7% or something)

So how's your day been?
I've found it ok so far :)
Just put some mullerlight yogurts in the freezer :clap: so looking forward to one later!
I've realised already it pays to be prepared with this diet!!
Hope you've had a good day too x

Hi everyone,
I wish I'd found this feed 6 days ago when I started Attack!!
Does anyone know if you can have cocoa powder on attack and if so where the flipping heck you find the non fat stuff?? I'm currently having a MAJOR chocolate craving... Can you tell?
Other than this 'mood' I've found the last 6 days a breeze. Infact it's just occurred to me that we could have meringues!!!
I've found the Dukan book a tough read and that's even as a teacher with a degree in food & nutrition.
I didn't know we could have SF jelly??!!
Keep going peeps... Xxxx

Coca from the Dukan shop is nice, organic and pricey. Otherwise Tesco's do one that s equally low fat.

Hi everyone.
Started on Dukan yesterday - one day in and all's well......
I've dieted and put weight back on for the last 20odd years and am fed up with it. Done Cambridge, LighterLife, Slimfast EVERYTHING! Am hoping that this is the last time (otherwise gastric band here I come!!)
Got about 3 1/2 stone to lose... never been this big before so bit p***ed off with myself.
Going to do this though.... any advice greatly received.
Mich x

Hi everyone,
I wish I'd found this feed 6 days ago when I started Attack!!
Does anyone know if you can have cocoa powder on attack and if so where the flipping heck you find the non fat stuff?? I'm currently having a MAJOR chocolate craving... Can you tell?
Other than this 'mood' I've found the last 6 days a breeze. Infact it's just occurred to me that we could have meringues!!!
I've found the Dukan book a tough read and that's even as a teacher with a degree in food & nutrition.
I didn't know we could have SF jelly??!!
Keep going peeps... Xxxx

The tesco value low fat cocoa is ok as a tolerated item (not in attack though). You will find it in a box in the bigger branches of Tesco.

Hi All,
Just input my stats. :eek: First time I've admitted my weight to anyone but I'm hoping that by admitting it, it will give me the push to alter it in the right direction.

Hi to all the members who have started this week too.
How are you all getting on?
I'm now on Day 3 and yesterday I was craving carbs big time. Also had a bad headache but that seems better today.
Was also quite moody this morning :eek: but that seems to have passed...

I really want to get going on some recipes as I know I will get bored with just eating meat, etc on its own.
Is it worth getting the Dukan Recipe book or are the recipes on here?

I have now calculated my True Weight, which was 1lb under where I want to get to so at least I know my goal weight is realistic. It says I need to do attack for 6 days which was 1 day less than I was planning on, so is it best to stick to the 6 or do the extra day and make it 7?
Would appreciate any advice from you experts please!

I've been good and walked every day. The first day I did 20 mins - I took my kitchen timer and set it for 10 mins and when it beeped I turned round and walked home. Now I know where I need to walk to for my 20 mins. (Although I must have been slower coming back as it was 21 mins! lol).
Yesterday I walked for 1 hour 30 mins. Don't worry I'm not over-doing it - I walk for 1hr 30mins twice a week, if possible, with my friend, so that was normal for me.
I've done my 20 mins today and I'm glad I've got it out of the way as it's raining now.

So how are the rest of the Newbies getting on?

Take care xx

I would see how you get on with the recipes on here first as some of the ones in the book are a bit strange.

Back