Newbie going shopping-whats best to buy????

fionao

Hello everyone

Well Im taking the plunge tonight at 7pm, i am off to my first weight watcher meeting!!! Im very excited to get started, iwent to ww about 6 years ago for awhile so cant remember much.

Im going shopping this afo to stock up but as I cant remember much I was wondering if you would give me a few pointers as to what you buy that is low in points or can make low point meals! Ill defo be buying bread!

Thank you xxxxx

Most WW yoghurts are 0.5pts - though I only buy the toffee and vanilla ones, so check before you buy :)
If you are a crisps person, definitely buy multipack Walkers Wotsits/French Fries/Quavers/Baked - all 1.5pts each
Wholemeal pitta bread is about 2pts each depending on the brand you buy - I got mine from Tesco - 2pts. :)

a permanent marker pen to write the point values on everything!!!!! it helps educate you on points values and makes it alot easier when you come to cook ect.

good luck on your weight loss journey :) x

sugar free jelly 0 points
pink n whites .5 point or 2 for 1.5 points
activia 0% fat yoghurts .5 point
eggs,, without yolk 0 point
spraylight for frying above egg 0 point
laughing cow light triangles .5 point each

Last edited:
sugar free jelly 0 points
pink n whites 1 point or 2 for 1.5 points
activia 0% fat yoghurts .5 point
eggs,, without yolk 0 point
spraylight for frying above egg 0 point
laughing cow light triangles .5 point each

thought it was 0.5 for 1 pink and white, then 1.5 for two

Also i thought the Activia yogurts were 1 point each? not 0.5?

sorry just want to make sure on things before we send someone off buying stuff who is new :D

Also from tesco on the yogurts front, muller lights all flavours 1.5, the yogurt drinks tesco own ones natural defences 1 point each, and the shape zero yogurts are also 1 point :)

things like bread sticks are great if you want a quick snack about 4 or 5 for 0.5 point, extra light philly 30gs = 0.5 point erm, tesco own chipolatas get 12 in a pack only 1 point each 50/50 or white kingsmill crustless bread 0.5 for one slice, or 1.5 for two, rustic oven chips 1 point for every 50gs and they are huge and gorgeous xx

good idea sarah-louise!

my top things would be:
  • turkey rashers-2 for only 1point
  • frylight-perfect for grilling veg/frying veg/roasting veg.......you get the point lol! 0points
  • mullerlight yoghurts (the big-ish ones) 1.5 points each but soooooo filling
  • oats-so-simple porridge golden syrup one, if made with purple top milk is only 3.5points
  • tomatoes and mushrooms (fab for grilling and putting on toast) 0 points
  • wholemeal pitta breads-generally about 2points
  • options instant hot chocolate sachet-0.5ponts each-yuuuuum
  • jacket potatoes, can cut them into wedges and bake for low point chips too-range from 2-4points depending on size
  • pickeled beetroot, i love it on salad-0points!
  • sweetner if you generally have sugar in your tea/coffe, as if like me you have 4-6 cups a day then this can be a whole 3 extra points just for sugar!-0points
  • WW soup in tins, handy to just take with you if your going somewhere to to have when your in a rush-i love the mexican spicey been one- 1.5points

pinkprincess where do you buy your turkey rashers from please? everywhere i go they are nearly £3! and tbh even £2 is loads for what you get i find! :( damn me not having a job lol have to live on the cheap side! :D thanks :) xx

my mum got me the mattesons ones this week-i dont live with her, she said they were on offer somewhere this week-maybe aldi or somewhere like that?
although i have been trying to find alternatives-i splurged the other week and bought some-but they are expensive, do you use something else?

oh and smirkey-we dont eat alot of meat in our house, so mainly live veggie style, only thing my OH likes is chicken, but we dont get it every week. the only other thing i regularly buy is quorn mince. dont know how many points in that though?

Everyones given some great suggestions here - I would also add the ingredients to make some 0pt soup - a lifesaver for me there are some great recipes on this website
depending on what you like - Good Luck :)

Thanks everyone

Got a good list that will hopefully keep me going for a few days till i get back in the swing of things!!

Wish me luck
xxx

also smoked bacon medalions are 4 for 1.5 points in aldi,,aw man i always eat 2 pink n whites as i thought they point for 1,:(just checked activia and they defenitely .5 each:)

my mum got me the mattesons ones this week-i dont live with her, she said they were on offer somewhere this week-maybe aldi or somewhere like that?
although i have been trying to find alternatives-i splurged the other week and bought some-but they are expensive, do you use something else?

oh and smirkey-we dont eat alot of meat in our house, so mainly live veggie style, only thing my OH likes is chicken, but we dont get it every week. the only other thing i regularly buy is quorn mince. dont know how many points in that though?

thanks hun!! didn't realise places like aldi do them too!! ace! only places i've seen them is tesco and asda and they are like £2 which is great if i like them, but never tried them so don't want to waste money if i dont like lol, i'm same as you, i was a veggie for years then just tried a bit of chicken and changed! now i very rarely eat red meat, i don't eat fish and i just have chicken! lol :) mince meat is something i have as don't find it so bad! erm the quorn stuff i've tried and didn't like but, 350gs of quorn mince is 6 points :) xx

also smoked bacon medalions are 4 for 1.5 points in aldi,,aw man i always eat 2 pink n whites as i thought they point for 1,:(just checked activia and they defenitely .5 each:)

thankyou!!!!! ohhh i'll have to get some of those activia ones, the fat free ones with 0% on them? i tried to work em out last night on tesco site and got it to 1 point :( so glad they are 0.5 though! will have to go buy! with the pink n whites some just say well they are 0.5 each so 2 must be 1 point etc, and it's fine if you want to do that way, but people who are exact with points tend to count up the calories and sat fat if they are having two of something then work out points, and doing it this way means 2 pink and whites work out as 1.5 not 1 :( sucks i know lol depends which way you want to do it :) thank you for the info on bacon medalions! will have to go have a look for em! have an aldi at end of road thankfully! :D xx

would 2nd the things to make 0 point soup it fab and a great filler! x

I'm sure it says in the book if I have 100g of quorn mince its 1.5 points. Hmm 350g at 6p sounds a lot but you could be right.

Watch out for Beef mince as that is higher in points then say chicken or pork mince, and I will second the 0 point (no added sugar jelly), and the soups great for a snack and/or lunch time meal..

Hovis is 1.5points a medium slice

Often places like Tescos, light choice products, already have the points on the product which makes it a little easier, just don't do what my OH did and assume the points on the side of a can are for the whole product. He had a 400g can of spaghetti with 1.5 on the side, which was how much 200g was. Lol (I still love him though :) its an easy mistake to make )

Gona be getting a permanent marker next weekend when I go shopping, thanks for the tip sarah-louise x.. ;)

I'm sure it says in the book if I have 100g of quorn mince its 1.5 points. Hmm 350g at 6p sounds a lot but you could be right.

i searched on minimins hun and saw someone had made a spag bol using the quorn meat and pointed it as 350gs packet 6 points... this might be for the whole bag as in frozen weight? haven't a clue lol :) your probably right with 1.5points as i know it's not much that's why i tried it lol, shame i didnt like it really would have helped a lot .... hmm force feed? :D

i searched on minimins hun and saw someone had made a spag bol using the quorn meat and pointed it as 350gs packet 6 points... this might be for the whole bag as in frozen weight? haven't a clue lol :) your probably right with 1.5points as i know it's not much that's why i tried it lol, shame i didnt like it really would have helped a lot .... hmm force feed? :D

Well to help with the points and cause my hubby likes his portions (ok I do too lol) I use proper meat mince but add quorn mince to the dish as well (instead of more say pork/turkey) in order to help lower the points a little. It really works, and with the extra pork in there you really can't taste the quorn stuff that much. I don't like it enough to have it on its own, though wish I did. :sigh:

i just season it well, i really like it-i was a vegetarian when i was younger, so ate loads of it!

Back