Newbie...Is GI the best diet for me?

Squ1rrel

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself.
I am 32 and have recently been diagnosed with PCOS after 12months + of trying to conceive - I need to lose a good few stone to help me on my journey. I have tried all sorts of diets and have been a regular of ww and sw but always seem to plateau. I have now started Metformin and need to monitor my intake of fatty and sugar laden foods and having read up on PCOS and the best things for it, GI is mentioned a lot. Only thing is I dont understand it all that well and am not really sure of the best foods to eat/what to avoid - although I'm hopinh to read this forum more and learn lots of tips!

Does anyone else on here suffer with PCOS and have you found the GI diet has worked for you?

Hi and welcome
I don't have pcos but I follow the GI diet :)
Its very easy once you know how x
It's best to get books .. Rick Gallup is good

GI diet is about keeping your blood sugars steady abd not having spikes if sugar ..!! Carbohydrates ... Especially refind carbs Like white bread white pasta white rice sugar etc will give you a spike in blood sugars ... These spikes will give a surge in the hormone insulin .. Insulin is the fat hormone and will store all those carbs as fat ..!!! Low GI foods have less of an impact on blood sugar levels thereby less insulin secretion ..!!!
Protein and fats don't have an impact on insulin levels ..!!!
You could make a start by having wholewheat seeded bread ... Wholewheat pasta ... Brown rice .. And also limiting their quantities .. 40-50g dried .. Doesn't look much but fill it out with veg etc ...
Rick Gallup has a traffic light system of foods .. Green being lowest .. Red being highest ... Yellow being you can have limited quantities .!!!
Refined Sugars in foods are bad .. So no crisps doughnuts biccies etc ..!!!
I have snacks of 10g each sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds with 10 whole almonds and a handful blueberries ..!! Lovely ... I could go that twice a day ..!!
Berries are better than apples/bananas .. Less sugar ... So stock up in blueberries/raspberries/strawberries/blackberries..!!
Also protein fills better than carbs ..!!! It sates your appetite better ... This mornings brekkie for me is ... 2 scrambled eggs ... Smoked salmon .. And 1 slice of rustic wholemeal toast.
Hope this helps as a start ..!!
:))))

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thank you so much - thats a great help! I've been trying to stick to the diet since Sunday and I'm feeling better already. Not sure if its the diet or my meds but I definitely dont feel as hungry as I did before - lets give it a few weeks and see how I feel!!!

Back