Newbie Needs Help!

Rhino

Ex-22 stone unit!
Hello,

I was just wondering if someone could throw a few ideas my way.

Stats

20 (ish) stone
6 ft tall

And, very oddly, I don't look anywhere near the size of a 20 stone person....I can't quite work that one out!

Goal

I want to lose weight whilst increasing strength and muscle.

Current Activity

4 miles a day walking with extra weight (work)
Workout 2 or 3 times a week (cardio & strength mix)

Diet

Shocking. Skip breakfast and too tempted to give in to snacks at work (to boost energy). I have recently switched from full fat drinks to Pepsi Max/Water, and I'm not a tea or coffee drinker.

I was wondering if you can throw a few ideas my way. I am a very fussy eater (I like me tomato based stuff, pasta/chicken etc) but it looks like a minefield out in the dieting world!

A few people have suggested incorporating protein shakes in my new eating plan, any advice?

Hope you can help,

It's time for change!

Last edited:
sounds like your already quite active! thats good ... have u ever tried resistance training or anything of that sort. Im of no help when it comes to food, i hate everything :p

check out some resistance bands next time your shopping. they are very affordable and go along with many of the strength training excercises ur probably already doing. adding the resistance makes them super effective :)

Yup adding resistance training could do you a world of good. Check out metabolic resistance training, it combines cardio and resistance training, burns a lot of calories and your body keeps burning calories for longer post work out. BUT and there is always a but, it's fairly high intensity with little rest between sets. So if you've got injuries or aren't particularly used to exercise (though it seems you are) you really need to be careful not to push it. I warn you, it's hard work, but it's good! If it interests you let me know and I'll try explain it more with the kind of things that you do!

Diet:
Firstly, breakfast, it's not a negotiable! You HAVE to eat it. We've all heard breakfast is the most important meal of the day but it really is. If you're not eating breakfast, you're not kickstarting your body's metabolism at the start of the day. Believe me, I know how hard it is to get into the habit of having breakfast, I'm not great at it myself! It'll kick start your metabolism in the morning and it'll stop you being so tempted to have those snacks!! Imagine it this way.

You put petrol in your car last night and drove it home, but you didn't put much petrol in, just enough for the journey home. So you've now used that petrol getting home and you get up in the morning and you need to go to work, so you get in your car and go. Have you ever tried to drive a car running out of petrol? It's all sluggish, jerky and then you just stop. That's exactly what your body is like. When you're not eating breakfast, you're not giving it the fuel that it needs to get through to your next meal so it's tired, sluggish, your concentration and mood are affected even if you don't realise it. And your metabolism just says no, I'm not having it, you've given me no fuel, I'm doing no work and it'll affect how it works for the rest of the day. So try and have breakfast!

I TRY and use the following as a guideline for how I eat, it's meant to do you a world of good! I say try though, I'm still on that learning curve!

Eat breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and Dinner like a Pauper.

In terms of food, what other things do you like or will you eat?

I TRY and use the following as a guideline for how I eat, it's meant to do you a world of good! I say try though, I'm still on that learning curve!

Eat breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and Dinner like a Pauper.

I like that saying =)

In terms of strength training, to really build any muscle and get the most from your resistance workout, you need to up your protein intake and ideally about 45 minutes before/after (I can never remember which! Though, I always have a protein shake about 40 minutes after my resistance workout). Its important not just to focus on what you're eating to get through the day, but also, what you're eating to get through your workouts. The body needs carbohydrates for energy and protein for muscle building and repair. You build muscle by making lots of small tears in the muscle, which are then repaired and made stronger. You can use a resistance band (I think I saw some for £2 on amazon!) and then when you feel ready, move up to free weights. Its important, in terms of building strength, not to do too much too soon as you can really pay for it later.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have it after :)

Thanks for the advice so far everyone :)

I do enjoy my pasta and meats, mainly chicken. Like I said I'm a fussy eater and it doesn't help matters.

One of my main things is snacking, will protien shakes go some way to help me combat this?

Back