Newbie Question

pixie-gem

Gold Member
Hi there,
I joined Slimming World last night, after having to be pushed through the door by my DH :p
My silly question is, and i apologise, is it says some beef mince is free, but some costs points (from what i can read on the website, the leaner the better regarding syns) I don't buy lean mince due to it being more expensive, but i do ALWAYS strain the mince once browned, before i add anything to it (don't like fat..go figure! sweet tooth is my downfall lol)
Is it still high syns even when i do this, or does it count as extra lean because i do this?
Sorry to be a pain and also if it was answered elsewhere
Thanking you

As far as I was aware it has to be extra lean mince or it won't be free and you will have to count it all as syns according to the book.

I don't think it matters if you strain it as there will still be some fat content from the cooking process. It sucks how expensive extra lean meat it but I guess it's because you're getting all meat and no fat.

As far as I was aware it has to be extra lean mince or it won't be free and you will have to count it all as syns according to the book.

I don't think it matters if you strain it as there will still be some fat content from the cooking process. It sucks how expensive extra lean meat it but I guess it's because you're getting all meat and no fat.

Thank you, was hoping to use up what i had in the freezer, but hey ho!
Cheers for replying though :)

Recently ive gone down the Quorn route, if your making a chilli or a spag boll i personaly dont notice the difference, also Turkey mince is free and cheaper than extra lean mince, really nice for Meatballs or burgers
xx

Hi there,
I joined Slimming World last night, after having to be pushed through the door by my DH :p
My silly question is, and i apologise, is it says some beef mince is free, but some costs points (from what i can read on the website, the leaner the better regarding syns) I don't buy lean mince due to it being more expensive, but i do ALWAYS strain the mince once browned, before i add anything to it (don't like fat..go figure! sweet tooth is my downfall lol)
Is it still high syns even when i do this, or does it count as extra lean because i do this?
Sorry to be a pain and also if it was answered elsewhere
Thanking you

Yeah the others are right. For mince to be free it has be less than 5% fat. Some minces are labelled extra lean but still have more fat than that so you need to be careful and learn to read the labels.

As said meeat free mince is a good option, either on its own or mixed with the meaty stuff to make it go further. Asda meat free mince is much better than quorn imho. Or you can make your extra lean mince go further by adding lots of veggies (getting your superfree in too), lentils or pulses.

That said Sainsbury and Asda are doing the extra lean mince on offer at the moment at 3 for £10 which isn't too bad price-wise :)

Thanks guys, i am going shopping on Friday so i will look and see what i can find.
I personally don't have any problems with meat free, but DH is a bit of a carnivore (also on plan) so i don't know if i will get away with it :p

But i do appreciate the replies so cheers for that :D

Back