Newbie shopping help?

Pickle81

Hello,
I am joining my local class on Tuesday evening but need to do my weekly shop before that. I plan on doing the EE plan. Are there any basic staples (other than fruit/veg/lean meat/pasta) that you can think of? For example, HexA & B's? (Are Ryvita Fruit Crunch still a HexB on EE?)
Also, I don't like any yogurt other than the Shape Lasting Satisfaction (which i believe are now Shape Delight?) are these syn free?
Any other tips you can throw at me would be hugely appreciated :) I cook for a huge family so I'm hoping we can all just eat the same thing.

Tinned tomatoes for curries cassaroles ect. Worstershire sauce, soy sauce, get some swartz (or similar) herbs/seasonings. Small loaf of wholemeal bread/ rivita wholemeal cracker bread/porridge/alpen light bars are a few of the heb. Heas include skimmed milk laughing, cow light cheese.
lowcal spray oil. Stock cubes/stock pots. Hope this helps a little, best of luck.

I didnt reply before as I didn't really know what to suggest - I just have whatever meals I would have anyway but adapted to fit SW ie less/no of things like oil/cheese/junk food etc.

My HEXAs are milk for coffee every day and cheese if I feel like it. HEXBs are toast most days and sometimes chicken or other meat on a Green day, or beans/pulses on a red day or nuts, dried fruit, tahini or whatever on any day - but I dont pick them as HEXes, I just use them as HEXes as they are what I want to put in my dinner. I dont really build my menu around SW, I just decide what I want to cook and adapt it to be healthy.

The only word of advice I would give tbh is PLAN - decide on a rough menu for the week ahead and buy everything in you need for it. Doesn't have to be exact, you can pick and choose and swap around, but if you've got what you need for a healthy tasty meal you'll cook that and eat it rather than snack on rubbish/get takeaway when time is short & you're knackered.

Always have plenty of healthy basics in the house and dont keep anything in that you wouldn't eat on plan. Always have fruit & veg in, basics like beans, pasta, rice, low syn sausages that you can knock up something quick out of if you're in a rush. Plenty of spices and flavourings to make things less boring. Chocolate, crisps etc, forget it, if its there you'll eat it. Good luck x :)

I totally agree with planning. I have been planning my weeks food for years, mainly for financial reasons, as got fed up with wasting food, but it also works so well with weight loss, you only have what you need. If I buy crisps/biscuits I find it very hard to resist them. I only tend to have rich teas in the house so even if I have a lot, they only do so much damage!

Back