NHS Direct on Ketosis

Fab info Mini, there is a lot of confusion between Ketosis and Ketoacidosis too. A lot panic when they see Ketosis assuming its dangerous when its not.

The studies with regards to VLCD's do say it all.

Vx

ketoacidosis - I knew I'd spelt it wrong!

Thanks, I was wondering what the correct spelling was!

x

It is frightening Rainbow, isn't it! It's one reason he never goes on the camp the hospital arranges for the local young diabetics.

The youngsters think they are so smart doing all these silly things and just don't think what damage they are doing to themselves. They just see that they are putting one over on their parents and the diabetic nurses and consultants.

x

Personally I believe LT is not brilliant for you, I don't have any evidence for that, it's just a feeling. If I was less overweight I don't think I'd consider it. But I know everyone thinks that their weight is big enough, and no one is right.

Guen

Hi guys nit having all 3 packs woukd be when ketosis would get dangerous!! I only have 1 kidney and experienced no problems on LT x

Hi I am a qualified Nurse,
Ketosis can be very dangerous, as excess amounts accumulate in your blood and can be toxic.
The most important part of this diet is drinking water. It is very important to flush the ketones in your blood out, and so they are removed by your kidneys and excreted as urine. There is no danger to this diet if you are drinking in excess of 2 litres of water per day, (which we all are).
The ketones that diabetics excrete is similar to ours, but theirs is produced when they are getting too much insulin, and not enough glucose in their diet. We are not diabetics and our pancreas excretes normal amounts of insulin. Our pancreas is able to regulate the amount of insulin we require. So we do not have a large amount of insulin in our blood. Our weight loss is due to our diets being VLC, we are not taking in enough to sustain us and so our bodies are breaking down fat to make up our needs, and so we are loosing weight. As stated above we still need to flush this excess ketones out of our bodies with large amounts of water.
There is probably no harm in having a medical check-up if you are on this diet for a very long period, and if anyone is worried they can always have blood tests to check out the function of their liver and kidneys. Personally I feel that this diet is safe, common sense prevails if anyone is feeling unwell on this diet, more than the usual and normal symptoms of constipation, feeling cold and tired, and weak at times that they check themselves out with their GP's.
Don't get overconcerned, I think everyone here is sensible!

I asked my GP before starting. She said she had no problem with LT so long as I wasn't diabetic. She said there is a strong history of heart disease and diabetes in my family and that I would almost completely wipe out my risk for them if I lost the weight! So she thought it was a good idea.

The other way I look at it is......if I wasn't on LT then I would be drinking well over the recommended units of alcohol per week and would probably be doing much more damage to my liver!!!!

greatbodsoon - thanks for all of that information, it was very useful and certainly put me at ease! :)

playing devils advocate here but fags are sold world wide for yonks and they are really bad for you

Hmmm, I haven't read all the replies but I do think this particular comment is rubbish

'our bodies can convert some of the protein we eat into glucose'

I don't think this is true, as protien is made from amino acid chains, but carbohydrate, which we all know consists of simple carbohydrate polymers.

I believe our bodies can do this - the process is called gluconucleogenesis.
SM

Hi I am a qualified Nurse,
Ketosis can be very dangerous, as excess amounts accumulate in your blood and can be toxic.
The most important part of this diet is drinking water. It is very important to flush the ketones in your blood out, and so they are removed by your kidneys and excreted as urine. There is no danger to this diet if you are drinking in excess of 2 litres of water per day, (which we all are).
The ketones that diabetics excrete is similar to ours, but theirs is produced when they are getting too much insulin, and not enough glucose in their diet. We are not diabetics and our pancreas excretes normal amounts of insulin. Our pancreas is able to regulate the amount of insulin we require. So we do not have a large amount of insulin in our blood. Our weight loss is due to our diets being VLC, we are not taking in enough to sustain us and so our bodies are breaking down fat to make up our needs, and so we are loosing weight. As stated above we still need to flush this excess ketones out of our bodies with large amounts of water.
There is probably no harm in having a medical check-up if you are on this diet for a very long period, and if anyone is worried they can always have blood tests to check out the function of their liver and kidneys. Personally I feel that this diet is safe, common sense prevails if anyone is feeling unwell on this diet, more than the usual and normal symptoms of constipation, feeling cold and tired, and weak at times that they check themselves out with their GP's.
Don't get overconcerned, I think everyone here is sensible!

With respect, greatbodsoon, your information regarding (Type 1) diabetics is completely wrong. In fact, the opposite is true. Type 1 diabetics have very little or absolutely no insulin production as the insulin producing cells in their pancreases have been destroyed by their bodies in an autoimmune response. It is precisely this LACK of insulin that makes them develop ketoacidosis, which is a life threatening emergency as it can kill within hours.

If you are not diabetic and therefore have enough insulin, your blood will not turn acidic and you will therefore not develop ketoacidosis.
SM

I work in the pharmaceutical industry and know that pharmacies and GPs are paid huge amounts of money by drug companies to promote these types of diets. These diets are dangerous and I would not recommend them to anyone.

I work in the pharmaceutical industry and know that pharmacies and GPs are paid huge amounts of money by drug companies to promote these types of diets. These diets are dangerous and I would not recommend them to anyone.

And I for one wouldn't trust anyone who works in the pharmaceutical industry. The way your industry ruthlessly exploits people in the developing world sickens me!

I'm not convinced by NHS direct - I work in health care and Ketogenic diets are often used to help reduce incidences of fitting in children with severe, difficult to control epilepsy, as high levels of ketones appear to supress seizures. A diet recommended for children would hardly be harmful now would it?? I think a lot of the bad press is out of fear of the unknown.

Im sorry, GPs are doctors and have to take the hippocratic oath which includes 'first do no harm' not 'first promote a supposedly dangerous diet to rake in the cash'.

I am a Doctor. Ive just completed LT. There are countless studies supporting the science surrounding the diet. I am happy with my choice as are a lot of people.

Im sorry, GPs are doctors and have to take the hippocratic oath which includes 'first do no harm' not 'first promote a supposedly dangerous diet to rake in the cash'.

I am a Doctor. Ive just completed LT. There are countless studies supporting the science surrounding the diet. I am happy with my choice as are a lot of people.
Well said!!!

just a quick 1 mild ketosis in a none diabetic is not harmful if u are following your diet properly u should only be in mild ketosis. diabetic ketosis is completly different it is caused when there is a lack of insulin (some1 wrote its wen theres 2 much thats wrong!!) when blood sugars rise and wen acids are made (ketoacids)

Hiya scaz,
I have introduced Lipotrim to my patients in the clinics ova the past couple of months and in fact my own doctor put me on the diet as well, however in saying this even though he prescribed it to me, i didnt get it free, i am paying £39.50 per week.

Anyways regarding ketosis, is among the most maligned and misunderstood concepts in nutrition because it is often confused with ketoacidosis, which is a life-threatening condition. Ketosis is the accumulation of ketone bodies in the body, which is the end result of fat metabolism. When carbohydrate intake, as well as calorie intake, is sufficiently limited for a long enough period of time, the body is forced to use the fat stores for energy(meaning ya go into ketosis). Ketosis is a natural adjustment to the body's reduced intake of carbohydrates as the body shifts its primary source of energy from carbohydrates to stored fat. Ketosis is not an abnormality nor does it present any medical danger to the patient. Ketosis only presents a danger to the patient if the patient is an insulin-requiring diabetic which then presents ketoacidosis (meaning damage to the livers and kidneys). I wouldn't recommend vlcd to anyone who suffers from this condition. If ya have no serious medical conditions then ya are fine! I hope this answers anyones doubts, take care.

From one doctor to another, well done, i couldnt have said it better!!

NICE the national institute for clinical excellence reccomend that no one follows a VLCD for more than 12 weeks as prologned ketosis does carry a risk of damage to both liver and kidneys (the reason my GP hauled me off LT at 12 weeks), Lipotrim will never be 100% available on prescription as NICE wouldnt pass it as a necessary drug i mean look at all the cancer drugs they never pass for widespread use

Back