Nigeepoo

blue_grapefruit

Gold Member
Nige, you been playing on my mind!

Right, firstly after i finish my dissertation i will attempt to write a paper on VLCDs - a balanced argument with all the positives and negatives thrown in. And cos i have experience on a VLCD i can write about all the nasty personal stuff too.

Secondly, you have to appreciate that you have come into a forum full of struggling people who are putting heart and soul into a diet that they believe in. Not eating is the hardest thing i have ever done, and i still don't know if i'm cut out for it.

It's totally natural for VLCDers to be defensive, and i'd also add that a lot of us have become very good friends and will stick up for each other out of loyalty - when someone shares the intimate details of this diet with you, it kinda builds a stong bond.

I wanna mention one of the miniminers in particular who has stuck to this diet 100% and recently got to goal. Following a health check, not only has her blood sugar level reduced from "borderline diabetic" to normal, but more startlingly her cholesterol has reduced from 15 to 5! When my mother did atkins, her cholesterol went from 4 to 9. I'm not having a go at atkins, i appreciate that it works for a lot of people, it's just a comparison.

When it comes to putting the weight back on, it isn't down to the type of dieting. It's down to the in built feelings of the individual. If they havent fought their demons then they will pile on the pounds. As someone has recently said, VLCD for me gives me the chance to evaluate my relationship with food by going cold turkey.

Ever heard of "addicts dream"? When people in rehab clinics undergoing drug withdrawal dream of taking pills, injecting, drinking, and generally getting off their skull on their drug of choice? Well i have addicts dreams about food - to the point that i wake up shaking and upset.

I have a problem, i am totally addicted to the "hug" inside that i get from food/eating. I need to go cold turkey to sort myself out. I'm 22, and i need to be taken back to 4 years old to learn about eating again.

I respect diets like WW, SW, rosemary conely and i can SEE that they work for some people. Personally they leave me with too much choice and in the past i have made some utterly stupid "decisions". For instance, i'll have a bag of crisps which i'll point/syn/calorie count....whatever, but that one bag turns into 6 - That's the addict in me.

When it comes to taking supplements, it seems that EVERYTHING has some sort of medicinal value. How many books are out there with titles like "1001 uses for ....", well i would certainly say "everything in moderation".

Omega fish oils, hmmmm, the jury is out on this one. My MIL has severe alzheimers, and as a geneticist it's painful to watch as i know all about the repeat sequences that could have been passed along to my lovely OH. I've obviously done research into preventatives and omega 3 has been mentioned a lot to prevent the growth of the plaques that take over the brain. From my point of view, what will be will be and if he's going to get alzheimers then it'll aready be written in his genetic code.

On the broad subject of supplements, although CD has 100% vits and minerals in the packs, i take a probiotic to help with my skin. Otherwise, my anemia has gone awol :D and my acne has cleared due to the calcium and zinc levels in the pack.

I havent used any references or papers as this is just my opinion, one day though when i'm not in the middle of my thesis (which is on breast cancer and tumor necrosis factor related apoptosis inducing ligand, not very relevant!)i will attempt some research into a subject very close to my heart. Who knows, i may be at goal by then too!

Anyway, the point of this is just to let you know that i appreciate your view, and will read with interest. Just be careful around us lot, we are VERY loyal ;) hehehe!

Please please don't take this post to be attacking you in any way, it certainly isnt my intention!
Love Leah xxxx

OOOH! SH*T! SORRY KD!!!!

While i was typing away you closed the other thread, sorry darlin! Wasn't trying to be a lil witch and getting around you (for once ;))

Erm, yeah, just my opinion and trying to defend some hot blooded miniminers (me being one of them!)

I will send brandy and babycham ASAP!

This address ok:
KD
England

Think it'll get to you? xxxx

I will send brandy and babycham ASAP!

This address ok:
KD
England

Think it'll get to you? xxxx

Yes, definitely:cool: The postmen know me in England for the large amounts of posts I get:eek: (always sheet music).

Never the postman on the bike for me
th_Smileno.gif
Always the man in the van (with the big sacks:eek:)

Will look forward to the B & B
th_girl_drink4.gif

A fabulous post as ever Leah, honest and well written.

You are a marvel!

Gxx

A superb post Leah. I have "done" LL and lost very well on it BUT didnt re train my thoughts on food and therefore went back to base rapidly. I am taking a more "intelligent" approach to CD this time and intend to adjust my thinking on eating patterns and portion control in order to win the long term battle. Dieting is not temporary for some of us but we can learn to adjust to what is better for our bodies (and I dont mean to think in terms of the "model" body either). It is down to a lifestyle change and a life time resolve to make wiser decisions - in fact a whole rethinking process. What CD is offering me is looking after my nutrition whilst I sort my head out and giving me the chance to take a breather from the forces that make me choose the wrong foods. It takes temptation out of my reach to give me a fighting chance. I have felt so healthy and not sluggish on this diet and it is working for me - as it does for so many others. If something works do you throw it away.???? I think not.

Quote of the day people:

It takes temptation out of my reach to give me a fighting chance.

PERFECTLY worded there matey!

Oh and Delli, my first language is welsh, so bugger off. Just cos the irish lost ;)

:eek: I just thought about writing that post in welsh - give me a few hours :D:D:D xxx

Excellent post, Leah. Well done for putting into words what a lot of us are thinking!
x

Did someone mention Brandy & babycham?!! :drool:

NO! I refuse to be in this environment!

As a bar tender to the stars (yes, i have served wesley snipes, all the welsh/england/fance/ireland/NZ ruggers teams, most of the recent big bro stars and most welsh musicians) i refuse for two of my fav people to drink such an awful combo of alcohol.

Sort it out laydeys!!

I've, uh, noticed that diet is a very touchy subject, so I'm going to stop posting in the VLCD, CD & LL fora to save you all from high blood pressure!

I agree with what you say. Some diets suit some people perfectly, and other diets suit others perfectly. As much as I love the Atkins diet, I do accept that it has deficiencies.

Anyway, I'm not offended by anything anyone says to me, as long as I have a right to reply to it (the reply will probably be stuffed with links to studies!). I'm really not setting out to antagonise anybody, but as a male and a former Engineer, I'm probably lacking in inter-personal skills so I'm sorry if I've upset anyone 'cos I really didn't mean to.

Cheers, Nige.

Ooh, look. You can see my ugly mug, now!

Last edited:
I've, uh, noticed that diet is a very touchy subject, so I'm going to stop posting in the VLCD, CD & LL fora to save you all from high blood pressure!

No need, VLCD's have a great side affect of lowering blood pressure ;)

Thanks nige, i do appreciate what you've been saying - both from a scientists point of view and from a fat persons point of view.

I think there'll be a few people in the atkins forum desperate for your advice, it seems to be based on your own experiences and so very valuable.

Please don't think we're all just evil and bitchy, we are just trying our best and it takes sooooo much energy and willpower.

Love Leah xxxx

I agree with what you say. Some diets suit some people perfectly, and other diets suit others perfectly. As much as I love the Atkins diet, I do accept that it has deficiencies.

Anyway, I'm not offended by anything anyone says to me, as long as I have a right to reply to it (the reply will probably be stuffed with links to studies!). I'm really not setting out to antagonise anybody, but as a male and a former Engineer, I'm probably lacking in inter-personal skills so I'm sorry if I've upset anyone 'cos I really didn't mean to.

Cheers, Nige.

Ooh, look. You can see my ugly mug, now!

Hi Nige :)

Not a touchy subject really as we all talk about it all day sometimes...lol

I guess it's just that we all feel very passionately about our own personal choices but try to give each other as much support at the same time.

I'm sure that being "male and a former engineer" doesn't mean you can't get as much out of this community as many of us do already.;):D

I personally think the key here is humour. Appropriate humour naturally and respect for each other, but humour is a great vehicle for getting to know people better and forging some really positive relationships, don't you think? :D:D:D

Lacey...:)

I personally think the key here is humour. Appropriate humour naturally and respect for each other, but humour is a great vehicle for getting to know people better and forging some really positive relationships, don't you think? :D:D:D

Lacey...:)

100% agree :D

What would we do without humour??!!!! Why are you stressed Leah? Those that drink brandy AND babycham together just have "no idea". My dad used to say to us "you may have a brandy or whisky as long as you dont "*******ise it". He was a connaisseur of both! Brandy & Coke, brandy & babycham, whatever next!!!!! :D

Back