nikki's diary - closed...... moved over to maintenance to test the water!

Me to. You mentioned redcar, I do my shopping in red car tesco most weeks, failing that guisboroughs morrisons! Lol. I am going to take up running, your progression has been fantastic. Again, inspiration. Are you doing the great north run? My brother in law is as well, he did it last year and when we met him at the finishing line I said I would do it next year ........ Next year is now and I can't run to the end of the street! Lol. Never mind, maybe next year.

bless lol. i live in little old billingham.

i did the great north run in 2008 when i was 11 weeks pregnant with matthew, my youngest. it was very hard work, so was the training. when i'd finished it i said never ever again. my toes hurt from mile 8 and it nearly killed me to get to the end. my training towards the end had been hit and miss depending on how sick i felt.

now i ignored myself and decided to do it again this year. my plan i got is great and has me running 2 hours on a sunday now.

i started running on the treadmill at the gym for 1 min at a time. i did 1 min running for a while then i went on for 2 mins and that's how it's been. i can say that running outside is totally better for you and your legs and body. treadmills can wreck your ankles. the chap i met at the gym yesterday, who is a runner, said not to run on the treadmill. he also said that the great north run is one of the harder/hardest half marathons you can do. well that just says it all.... i don't do things by halves.

i've been told to cut my classes out for the next few weeks to train fully on the great north run. so i'll just be running 4 times a week and that's it until after sunday 19th september. that day i'll be eating my own body weight in food. i remember last time i burnt almost 2000 cals doing the 13.1 miles. all up hill practically.

he also told me to watch how many bananas i am eating cause i'm anaemic. can play havoc apparently.

there's lots of training runs out there to get you going. just give it a go.

Right, so I should just do little and often. I could run outside, in fact, I have to run outside having no gym membership lol. What great advise! Thank you! Will continue to read your diary, keep me going and will take up running. Will let you know how you get on! Thanks!

Hey Nikki, glad you've got a training plan sorted for the last few weeks!! Who did you talk to about it? I wish I could run outside but I get horrendous shin splits after a week or so, I don't get them on the treadmill for some reason.

Trolley Dolly where are you from, I'm from your neck of the woods too by the sound of it...

I've been very very good today, I'm proud of myself in fact. I seem to have got a second wind, lets just see how long it lasts. I could do with another decent loss again this week to keep me going. I definitely feel thinner so we'll see.

Hope everyones having a good weekend! xxx

i think your weigh in must have given you a must needed and deserved boost surf.

are you wearing the right trainers would be my question.... you need a good pair of running trainers and they will give you more support and 'bounce' than a treadmill. you might be finding that your feet are rolling out or in when you run and this is what is causing your shin splints. also make sure you do no more than 350 miles in your new trainers.

i'm still calculating my miles in my new trainers. i got them 5 weeks ago and do around 20 miles a week in them plus classes so i'll add another mile per class. 3 lots per week. then gym work.

so all in all - 5 weeks x 23 miles - 115 miles done in them already. almost half way. i've got another 5 weeks before the great north run so i'll be up to 215 miles done in my trainers. i'll need another pair after doing it. :rolleyes:

here's the plan he gave me for the next 5 weeks....

week 1
1 x hard run 30 mins (so around 3 miles)
1 x steady 45 min run (so about 3.5 miles)
1 x hard - fartlek 40 mins - 5 mins easy then 5 mins hard (probably 4 miles)
1 x easy 2 hour run (probably 10 to 10.5 miles)
weeks total - 4 hours running - aprox 20 miles

week 2
1 x hard 45 mins (aprox 4 miles)
1 x steady 45 mins (3.5 miles)
1 x hard fartlek 60 mins as before 5/5 (5.5 miles)
1 x easy 2 hours (10.5 miles)
weeks total - 4 1/2 hours running - aprox 23.5 miles

week 3
1 x hard 60 mins (5.5 miles)
1 x steady run 1h 30m (7 miles)
1 x boro 10k (sunday 5th sept) 6 miles
1 x easy run 2 hours (10 miles)
not sure week 3 is going to work as i can't see myself going out monday for a 2 hour run.....
weeks total - 5 1/2 hours running - aprox 28.5 miles

week 4
1 x hard 60 mins (5.5 miles)
1 x steady 1h45m (9 miles)
1 x easy run 60 mins (5.5 miles)
1 x fartlek 60 mins - 10/10 (6 miles)
weeks total - 4h 45m running - 26 miles

week 5
1 x 30 min bike ride
1 x 30 cross trainer
1 x 15 min steady run
1 x GREAT NORTH RUN - 13.1 miles

so miles in the next 5 weeks is:- 101.1 miles aprox

ENJOY he's written on the bottom lol. surf it was matty. i find simon a bit strange - the one that does the running club.

anyway off out for a run soon. i've not done hardly any exercise this week. i've done 1 x 3.75 mile run and that is it. it stems from me being unwell monday. i didn't do much tuesday or wed and got to running thursday and didn't have time friday this week. so today i'm going to go out for a real easy 5-6 mile run and not stress about doing 9 odd miles. as next week the hard work starts. i do not like the look of week 3 at all!!!!!!!!! argh!!!!!!! might give the long 2 hour run a miss that week and go out sunday evening for a leg stretching 30 min run instead.

Last edited:
p.s thinking of doing a spinning class after the GNR - see what it's like. supposed to help with running. i'm planning on taking a few weeks out from running after the GNR and then getting back into it in october. then i'll be running inside in the bad weather. i don't do snow or frost. i can barely walk in the frost and snow let alone run.......

well i'm back from my run. i decided to go out for an hour and i managed 5.55 miles in the hour. my pace was a lot quicker than normal 10.49 min miles - so a mile would take an average of 10.49 mins to run. fastest pace was 8.46 min mile. lol. lots of hills (4 - less than normal) and 713 cals burnt :D

my legs had a life of their own and were running faster than my breathing could cope with. it was like they were possessed and it was awesome. i would class today as a hard run as i pushed myself.

impressive nikki!

week 1
1 x hard run 30 mins (so around 3 miles)
1 x steady 45 min run (so about 3.5 miles)
1 x hard - fartlek 40 mins - 5 mins easy then 5 mins hard (probably 4 miles)
1 x easy 2 hour run (probably 10 to 10.5 miles)
weeks total - 4 hours running - aprox 20 miles

this is my week of exercise - i'm doing nothing else... no classes or anything. i'm sure that i'll be on edge this week but sunday should beat that out of me. lol :cool:

weigh day has been moved to tomorrow. 1 day's reprieve. mind i decided to have some prezels last night - why oh why!!!!! stupid me! was doing really well. probably had 500 cals in prezels. grrrrrrr

Great Things you are are greatwith your running and I would love to follow suit but I am a rubbish runner, even in my young days when I was slim and fit I could never run very far, I could do circuits, gym etc but as soon as I ran I got pains in my stomach, calves and got out of breath (maybe I wasnt as fit as I thought).
I would love to go running with my dogs but I only have to run 25 metres and I feel the need to stop.
Are some people just not cut out to be runners do you think?
xxx

i think anyone can be a runner or jogger. do you get a stitch... is that the tummy pain? there are ways of getting rid of it. i run through mine and they don't last long but when they do i breath out on the opposite side to the stitch. so when that leg touches the floor i force out a breath. i also hold the area of where the stitch is and squeeze in. with the calves it could just be a case of doing the right stretch. so for calves i would say a calve stretch where you raise up on to your tip toes and back down to flat foot and repeat both side together x 10.

i would also say try running for 30 seconds and walking for a min and keep that up for 10 mins. next time try 1 mins of running and 2 mins of walking. keep to this for a few times you go out. then increase to 20 mins doing the same before you move to running for longer.

weigh day tomorrow and i've eaten pretty poorly today. :(

porridge 170
cd shake 135 (305)
ww bar 90 (395)
porridge for lunch 340 (735)
bread x 2 - 200 (935)
cottage cheese and salad with pasta 450 (1350)
apple x 2 - 100 (1450)
hot choc 40 (1490)
nuts 100 (1590)
hot choc 40 (1630)

exercise - nowt.

Last edited:
Nikki, I've decided that after my little holiday in September I'm coming back to the gym, I can't wait!! I'm going to get back into running again too, see if I can beat the dreaded stitch!! I'm really looking forward to getting back into the pool too.

Oh my god, Biggest Loser just got better, Tracey is such a *****. She's got control of the game again this week and she's been a total cow about it all again. I won't say too much incase you aren't watching it yet but I just want her to go now, she's irritating the hell out of me!!! I'm off to watch the rest of it....grrrrrrr!!!

i know, tell me about it. i can't believe she's still in!!!! i find it very motivational. i know that i'm eating badly. i need to move on and focus now. might start doing ww again for the next 5 weeks while i'm training.

Ooh that sounds like a good plan hun, I'm going to start working back up the plans soon then move onto SW again, I need to see these next 3 weeks out and see how much I've manage to lose and then decide how soon I do that though.

I want to get cracking with the gym, but I'm going to stick with my original plan and go back after my holidays. I need to start toning up again. Haven't been able to resist doing press ups and tricep dips though.

Thanx Great Things I shall try that soon when I can begin to exercise. :)

I was watching Biggest Loser tonight. Only watched bit of it for the first time last week. Why does everyone think Tracy is a ----- and want her to leave ??

Thanx Great Things I shall try that soon when I can begin to exercise. :)

I was watching Biggest Loser tonight. Only watched bit of it for the first time last week. Why does everyone think Tracy is a ----- and want her to leave ??

it's cause at every opportunity she controls the game. she usually takes part and wins the challenges and can then send home people that should stay. like one week she ate cupcakes and got to say who's weight should go on the board out of the 2 person team. so 2 guys went home when they shouldn't have. she makes the voting sort of rigged due to her interfearance.

i pointed out a bar that i have from CD and it's 3 points, i think a shake is 2 points. not bad really. i can use it as a post exercise treat or i could have it at night and when i go to the cinema i can take my own bar and some weight watchers crisps. might stop me from eating popcorn and minstrals - both of which are truely indulgent and not needed. just being a greedy fat pig.

i think that i'll fill up on veggies over the next 5 weeks. i'm finding that with what i'm eating is fast and good but i'm still feeling hungry so snacking, especially at night so i thought that if i eat a bigger meal with lots of veg - so a veg roast type thing and veg and quorn curry and quorn chilli it might stop me snacking as i'll be too full up. that's the plan anyway. i can eat pretty low points by doing this and filling up on veg soup etc. with the running i'll also earn myself lots of points too. probably 5/7 each time i exercise. so i'm on 21 points a day with 5/7 extra when i exercise.

will be interesting to see if i start loosing again. would be great if i did. might just be the kick i need.

Keep us posted Nikki, maybe the change in diet is what your body needs! I'm night shift tonight and that's my danger time, I'm cooking a chicken breast to chop up and take with me. Luckily I'm on with the boys and they don't seem to bring in quote so much junk as some of the girls do, so hopefully I'll be okay tonight!!

Back