Ninja's diary - fasting and running to lose 50lbs

We all have days like that but the joy of this way of eating is you can get back on the wagon so much more easily and no harm done.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Forget about it and move on. I definitely find the more sugar I eat the more I crave so trying to limit it on up days do that it makes the down days easier x

Thank you so much for your support. So nice to know I'm not alone...

DD going well. The little devil on my shoulder tried to talk me into eating several times...not because I was hungry but just because...
You know
"Go on, it's lunchtime, a half day fast will do"
"It's Monday tomorrow, enjoy some treats now and start again with a fresh week tomorrow"
"This diet must be bad for you...fancy not eating for that long...pick another diet and start again tomorrow..."
Etc etc

But I said NO...and it's now 5 . 30pm, all I've had is water & black coffee, and I've just done 3.5 miles on the treadmill, and am about to cook tea. Yay me!

Sunday 27th April - down day

5pm 3.5 mile run on treadmill - 10 min @ 11min/mile; 3 × 3 min @ 9 min/mile with 2 min walk / run in between; 10 min @ 11 min/mile

6pm meatballs in tomato sauce with pasta (small portion!)
Strawberries & blueberries with a little double cream

Last edited:
Plan for this week:
I'm going stick to 2000 cals on my UDs, except for Fri which is my treat day

Mon - (12.9) UD, 5 miles DONE
Tues - DD stretch
Wed - UD, 3 miles, legs & core
Thurs - DD 3 miles or xt
Fri - UD 7 miles
Sat -UD Rest
Sun -DD 4 miles intervals (10 mins easy, 5 x 3 mins @ threshold w 2 min recovery, 10 min easy)

Total miles 18-22

Last edited:
And a summary of last week:

Total down days: 3 (mon, wed sun)
Total miles run: 20.5
Weight at start of week: 12.10
Current weight:
Weight lost this week:
Total weight lost:

*ill weigh in tomorrow morning after my DD...but I'm not hugely optimistic after my binge :(

Last edited:
Well done on your down day! I hate that little voice that tries to ruin everything, so easy to talk ourselves into giving in but feels soooo good when we do resist doesn't it?!

Thurs 17th - UD Am: 30 min DVD (cvx) B - strawberry protein shake L - soya latte, smoked salmon & cream cheese sandwich, Tyrella veggie crisps, strawberries S - cappucino, banana T - chicken pad thai (scratch ready meal - over 700 cals and so not worth it!), lots of brocolli S - chai latte, mini mars bar, 2 milk tray chocs Total: 2100 Today was a learning curve for me. I really wasn't hungry in the mornin,. I felt properly hungry before tea, and as soon as I'd finished, even though I wasn't hungry I was desperately craving chocolate. I could have eaten much more than I did. I am also shocked by how many calories I drink! Because I don't really drink fizzy drinks, I've never really worried. But I'm definitely limiting myself to one milky drink a day, including milk substitutes. Even when I'm out, like today. This is definitely going to be an educational journey!

I think this day really stands out. A little bit of several different things - including chocolate. This is the future and way to learn to be binge free... Having a bit of chocolate terrifies me but I'd eat it freely when in binge mode. You're getting there :)

I think I will be giving fasting a go once I'm back from my holiday in mid July. Where did you get the idea to try? And how did you decide how low to have calories on down days?

Oh that's so me...I'm either good or bad...I don't get this in between thingy, but I guess that's what I'm trying to learn.

Planning really helps - more on non fast days because then I get more healthy stuff in. It was the McDonald's on Fri night that was the beginning of the binge. And I only had that because I was too hungry and hadn't planned anything decent.

I started calorie counting, then found this diet and thought I'd give it a whirl. I'm shocked at how easy it is to not eat for a day. I don't get hungry, physically it's easy but mentally it can be challenging. I find it much easier not to eat at all until the evening, then have a proper meal.

I read the every other day diet book and it made lot of sense. She suggests 500 because that's what worked in her research. It's large enough that you can eat a meal, but small enough that you'll find it difficult to make up the calorie deficit on up days. I like her suggested maintenence plan which moves your fast days up to 1000 cals.

Some people use the calculator on the juddd site - google juddd calculator

Good luck!

Last edited:
Slept really badly again last night (seems to be a pattern after DDs...) but at least it meant I was up when the 2015 London marathon ballot went live! So I entered the ballot, and then entered a friend too...hope they don't mind! Am not overly hungry but am exhausted so didn't get up in time to exercise this morning which is annoying. So I'll have to get the mileage done tonight.

Oh exciting - you entered! I did too. I hate how long you have to wait to hear about a place!! I think I'm going to do it for charity again even of don't get the place. Do you have any other events lined up? How long have you been running? (I love talking about running!!!)

I'm going through your whole diary haha. Also wanted to ask why did that book say sweetners were bad?

And I loved the muppets haha noticed you saw it and didn't like it! Don't know why I had to write that but I've been holding it in since I read if a few pages back hehe - keep up the great plan ;-)

Ooh well done on the Belfast marathon. I've done London before and I did Paris last year so know what I'm getting in to, although I doubt I'll make it through the ballot system. Sent from my GT-I9195 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Oh you answered one of my questions!

Urghhhh I've been naughty today. Not one fruit or veg and I had a McDonald's for tea followed by Häagen Dazs. Total cals for the day....3300!!!! Shocking! Thank god for a fast day tomorrow. I'm trying to justify it to myself by saying, 3300 + 500 over 2 days averages out at 1900 a day, which still means I shouldn't put on weight...but let's face it, the food was totally unhealthy and I know if I plan better, I eat better and enjoy it more. So no more UDs at work where I haven't planned. Coz it'll end in feeling rubbish. On the plus side I ran 3.5 miles this eve, even though my butt aches from my legs workout yesterday...

You hit the nail on the head with the planning - I may even steal your weekly format of laying out what you are going to do - you should feel proud as you flick through. And ok it wasn't a good day with the 3300 but you've done well to recognise yourself justifying something you don't want to accept.

By the way how did the Paris marathon compare to London? What times did you do them in?

Oh that's so me...I'm either good or bad...I don't get this in between thingy, but I guess that's what I'm trying to learn. Planning really helps - more on non fast days because then I get more healthy stuff in. It was the McDonald's on Fri night that was the beginning of the binge. And I only had that because I was too hungry and hadn't planned anything decent. I started calorie counting, then found this diet and thought I'd give it a whirl. I'm shocked at how easy it is to not eat for a day. I don't get hungry, physically it's easy but mentally it can be challenging. I find it much easier not to eat at all until the evening, then have a proper meal. I read the every other day diet book and it made lot of sense. She suggests 500 because that's what worked in her research. It's large enough that you can eat a meal, but small enough that you'll find it difficult to make up the calorie deficit on up days. I like her suggested maintenence plan which moves your fast days up to 1000 cals. Some people use the calculator on the juddd site - google juddd calculator Good luck!

Thanks for that- one other thing - does anyone notice at work? That would be my problem as I kind of have to eat lunch at work 3 days a week (work from home 2 days) as I wouldn't want to tell people I'm dieting

Why would you not want to tell people you're dieting? Surely taking steps to eat and be more healthy is a positive thing?

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Why would you not want to tell people you're dieting? Surely taking steps to eat and be more healthy is a positive thing? Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

I just find it brings too much focus on my weight - I don't want anyone to notice I have gained weight in the first place so try and avoid the topic! I've always just kept quiet about any diet plans I've done, I find it a bit of an awkward thing to discuss - maybe it's just me then!

For me it's a couple of reasons - I've done loads of diets and so people tend to roll their eyes ...i think it's better to let success speak for itself. Plus I have two daughters at a very vulnerable age for this sort of thing. The do discuss healthy eating and exercise but I'm reluctant to discuss fasting...its the sort of thing that could go wrong. I was anorexic as a teenager and I would have jumped on the whole fasting thing as justification. Why fast just alternate days? Surely more is better etc. It's not that I won't discuss it, but I won't make a big deal of it. I still have a normal meal with them so it's not something they've picked up on.

I just find it brings too much focus on my weight - I don't want anyone to notice I have gained weight in the first place so try and avoid the topic! I've always just kept quiet about any diet plans I've done, I find it a bit of an awkward thing to discuss - maybe it's just me then!

No, me too!

Thanks for that- one other thing - does anyone notice at work? That would be my problem as I kind of have to eat lunch at work 3 days a week (work from home 2 days) as I wouldn't want to tell people I'm dieting

I do one day on the weekend, and I'm a teacher so we tend to be a bit rushed at lunch so no one's noticed. If asked I'd probably say I ate a lot earlier / big breakfast etc.

You hit the nail on the head with the planning - I may even steal your weekly format of laying out what you are going to do - you should feel proud as you flick through. And ok it wasn't a good day with the 3300 but you've done well to recognise yourself justifying something you don't want to accept.

By the way how did the Paris marathon compare to London? What times did you do them in?

London 4.30
Paris 4.50

Going for dublin next...In Oct. Want to do new york but it'll have to wait until I can afford it.

Both London and Paris fantastic :) how's your running going now? You've just done London haven't you?

I was entered for Brighton but got a stress fracture. 3 months off running and I'm almost starting from scratch.

Last edited:
Back