No idea what im doing - Any help greatly received :)

Graeme83

I everyone. I started Slimming World in September 2010 and managed to lose 3stone10lbs between then and May 2011. The weight has gone back on however up to 19stone8lbs since May 2011 but I'm not sure why as I think I'm still doing the same things.

If I posted an example of a days worth of eating would someone be able to tell me where I am going wrong please? I'm swimming 5 miles a week but it seems to be stuck at 19;8lbs. As an example today I ate the following:

Breakfast:
2x Alpen Light bars
28g of crunchy nut cornflakes with SS milk

Lunch:
Salad with a balsamic sachet dressing
Roast Chicken cooked meat
Muller Corner peach and Apricot yoghurt

Evening meal:
3x chicken fillets (not cooked in anything)
Slim World Chips
Baked Beans

Snack:
Nature Valley Fruit and Nut Bar

Drinks:
3x cups of coffee, all with a dash of SS milk. No sugar.

I was following the EE version of slim world and I'm guessing that some of the things that I think are good (Nature Valley with only 0.4g sat fat) are actually the things that are killing me.

I went to one meeting but felt uncomfortable as I was the only bloke so trying to do it from home. An idea of the syns against the items above would be a great start so I can begin putting things right.

Any help is greatly received :) thanks

I've only just started back on with SW but from what I can remember, your breakfast includes a HEX B (the 2 Alpen light bars) and a HEX A (milk). But crunchy nut is not a healthy extra and would therefore need to be synned - I think it's probably around 5.5 syns (anyone - please correct me if I am wrong). Also, make sure you are not having more milk than allowed, and if you are, syn the rest.

A salad at lunch is fine but the balsamic dressing would need to be synned unless really low fat. Balsamic dressing is 2.5 syns. Is the roast chicken cooked with skin or in fat? If so then it would need to be synned. It is only free if cooked without skin and not in fat. Also the muller corner yogurts need to be synned too - the only free ones are muller light.

Your evening meal sounds fine but you are right about the nature valley bar. I'm not 100% about the syns but I am sure I read on someone's diary on here that they are approx 9 syns.

Hope that helps!

Yes that's a great help thanks. I reckon I'm quickly racking up 20/30 syns a day even though I don't seem to be eating that badly in my head!!!

Looks like I'll have to get back to the drawing board then.

Thanks again though :)

Hi Graeme,

Sorry to hear you're struggling to get back in to SW. It must be difficult to understand after doing so well on it before. Anyhoo, I've had a look through your menu there and can offer you the following:

2 x Alpen Light Bars = HexB
28g Crunchy Nut Cornflakes = 5.5 Syns
Semi Skimmed Milk = 250ml allowed for HexA
Balsamic Dressing = 0.5 to 3 Syns per tbsp depending on the brand
Muller Corner Peach & Apricot = 5.5 Syns
Nature Valley Fruit & Nut = 5.5 Syns

As Aymz said, your chicken should be fine as long as its skinless and not cooked in oil.

You're definitely aiming in the right direction for an Extra Easy menu but I'd just take a closer look at it if I were you and make a couple of substitutions.

Anyhoo, I hope this has helped a bit.

Kev

As the others have said, few cheeky syns sneaking through but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it soon. Do you have the books? I bought them off eBay and got to grips with it that way. And don't be fooled by those 'healthy' snacks - unless they are fruit or veg there's quite likely some syns.

Good luck! You know it works so don't give up x

Again thanks for the reply. The cooked chicken should be ok, I'll need to have a check next time I have the wrapper, but that's an easy fix.

I got sick of the muller light yogs, but if the corners are 5.5syns then looks like its back to the light version!!!!

Can the Nature Valley bars be used as a HexB? Either way I can cut those out and have fruit instead.

Yeah I've got the books, I just get in a muddle going through them, in the responses on this post I think I've got more of an idea than a night with the books. Some little tweaks and I should be ok again. I'm still really active so if I get the syns right it should start to drop off. I almost averaged 3/4lbs a week for 2/3 months first time around and at the time I was doing no exercise.

Feel much more buoyed now though thanks again for the advice!!

No worries! Keep posting your diary so you can get tips on whether it's going the right way or if you need a few more substitutions! Good luck!

Your definitely lacking the superfree-there's none in your breakfast or evening meal. You should be having 1/3 superfree with every meal on ee x

Have you tried the 'Onken' fat free yoghurts - strawberry, vanilla and the mango and apple one is yummy, I also have the 'activa' fat free yoghurts for a change all are free and creamier than the muller lights.

Okay, here goes.....
Breakfast:
2x Alpen Light bars - This is your 1 HEB for the day.
28g of crunchy nut cornflakes with SS milk - this is 6 Syns, plus how much milk? Do you measure it - are you sure you've not used more than a HEA allowance?

You need some super free with this to make it a extra easy meal - try replacing your Alpen lights with some fruit

Lunch:
Salad with a balsamic sachet dressing - was this just balsamic vinegar or was it a balsamic vinegar dressing? Which could be synned
Roast Chicken cooked meat - did you check if this was synned? Some of the flavoured shop bought ones are
Muller Corner peach and Apricot yoghurt - these aren't free. Only muller lights are free so you would need to syn this - 5.5 Syns

Evening meal:
Slim World Chips
Baked Beans

This meal needs 1/3rd super free - try replacing 1 of your chicken breasts with some grilled tomatoes & mushrooms, or whatever veg you like

Snack:
Nature Valley Fruit and Nut Bar - these are pretty high in Syns - usually around 10.

Drinks:
3x cups of coffee, all with a dash of SS milk. No sugar. 1 syn per dash of milk, if you aren't using your HEA allowance

I count nearly 25 Syns, and not nearly enough super free.

Not sure if the cups of coffee were your only drinks. If so you need to be drinking more during the day, water preferably.
Good luck, with a little tweaking you will get there.

Can the Nature Valley bars be used as a HexB? Either way I can cut those out and have fruit instead.

Hi, no they won't be a HexB.

Happy Holidays said:
I'd agree with the above posts, but just add make sure you have 1/3 superfree with your meals.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The idea of EE is to fill up on superfree and have less free/synned foods.

kingleds said:
Okay, here goes.....
Breakfast:
2x Alpen Light bars - This is your 1 HEB for the day.
28g of crunchy nut cornflakes with SS milk - this is 6 Syns, plus how much milk? Do you measure it - are you sure you've not used more than a HEA allowance?

You need some super free with this to make it a extra easy meal - try replacing your Alpen lights with some fruit

Lunch:
Salad with a balsamic sachet dressing - was this just balsamic vinegar or was it a balsamic vinegar dressing? Which could be synned
Roast Chicken cooked meat - did you check if this was synned? Some of the flavoured shop bought ones are
Muller Corner peach and Apricot yoghurt - these aren't free. Only muller lights are free so you would need to syn this - 5.5 Syns

Evening meal:
Slim World Chips
Baked Beans

This meal needs 1/3rd super free - try replacing 1 of your chicken breasts with some grilled tomatoes & mushrooms, or whatever veg you like

Snack:
Nature Valley Fruit and Nut Bar - these are pretty high in Syns - usually around 10.

Drinks:
3x cups of coffee, all with a dash of SS milk. No sugar. 1 syn per dash of milk, if you aren't using your HEA allowance

I count nearly 25 Syns, and not nearly enough super free.
Perfect explanation :)

I suggest going to a group - try a different one if you like - and stay for the new members talk. You don't have to stay longer than that but if you're comfortable then stay and join and get the new pack :)

And obviously keep coming on here either way :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back