Not happy

Beckybex

Day 5 of attack and the pound I lost has gone back on. I'm now exactly where I was when I started. Last 2 days I've literally just had eggs, chicken, fish and 0% fat free yoghurt. No ham, muller yogs, cottage cheese or even any diet fizz.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next! I don't think I can be any more strict. I'm assuming if I start adding things in I'll just put weight on. What I haven't admitted to is that I do have pcos and an under active thyroid. And put even more of my weight on after having a mirena iud 4 years ago. I've been overweight my entire life, and haven't weighed my goal weight ever, not even close. Am starting to wonder if this is the weight I am meant to be and to just learn to live with and maintain it but I'm still motivated and don't want to give up! I'd really welcome any suggestions. But I think a trip to the doctors next week could be in order....

Thanks for listening and sorry to start Friday night on a bit of a negative. Right now I am hoping not to have a large glass of wine after the day I've had!!

Do you take any medication for pcos this could be issue. Ive been takin pain medication last week or so and I gained and then only lost pound this week so you could have issue if u on meds

Hey Becky - sorry to hear sounding so down! Don't apologise for venting... that's what the boards are for... support!
I can't comment anything from a medical position, so I won't. I've read your posts over the last few days and feel disheartened for you that your weight hasn't shifted as you hoped.
Are you sure your scales are good?
Please keep positive whatever you decide to do going forward & best of luck with at the doctor!

Awww princess!
I'm so sorry ur feeling this way
I know it's a personal question but are u on any prescribed medicines at the mo? I know they can sometimes have a big impact on diets Ect
I would think after five days u would well on the way to losing a serious amount of weight but there can be reasons why not
I can see how disheartening it must be for u , but I know also u can go all week and have no weight loss then suddenly overnight u drop 5lbs lol
Our bodys are funny things
I really hope u get things sorted soon and start seeing the results :)
Hugs
Ally xxxx

I take thyroid medication but nothing for the pcos which is relatively mild I guess, although seems to have got a little worse since dieting. Goodness knows what's going on! Part of the reason I wanted to lose weight was to get healthy to try for a baby so maybe I need a thorough check up before going much further.

Thanks for all your support guys, I couldn't have got this far without help and at the very least I'm going to carry on to keep the weight I have lost off! Going to stick to low fat protein based with low carb salad and veggies for now until can get myself sorted. :)

Sorry to hear that, Becky. As you know, PCOS and hypothyroidism are a real double whammy when it comes to trying to lose weight. Do you still have the Mirena inserted? Again, that could well be another sticking point, unfortunately.

Having said all of that, your health is the singular most important factor. It may be worth having a word with your doctor about your problems with losing weight and see if they can help at all or come up with any suggestions.

Good luck. I know that it can't be easy, but there may be something which can be done to help.

Hi Becky - I also have pcos - it's a bugger when it comes to losing weight! I think you're right to stick to healthy eating until you've spoken to a doctor. Mine has suggested high protein to me before which is why I have chosen Dukan. I also barely lost anything in attack but from experience I know it takes my body a while to respond so I'm going to stick to it and try to keep protein portions up and be as healthy as possible within the parameters. Now that attack is over more exercise should be possible - that was pretty exhausting! Fingers crossed and good luck at the doctors!

I have PCOS and Atkins is the only way I've ever lost significant amounts of weight short of existing on meal replacement shakes. My endocrinologist first recommended high protein, low carb eating for me, and I think it's recommended in general for people with the condition. Your loss won't be as fast as other people, possibly, mine never has been, but you can lose.

Do you think the reason you might not be losing on Dukan attack is that you've just moved across from Atkins? The weight most people lose in attack is water weight from the depletion of your glycogen stores, which you won't have anymore or not to the same degree. I often see then recommending here that atkinsers skip directly to cruise.

It's very rare when going between any two diets to get a significant first week loss twice. You need to eat rubbish for a few weeks in between, which would defeat the object!

As Atkins is about needing fat to burn fat, you might also have confused your body by taking that element away, so it could be hanging onto the pounds until it settles in to what you're doing.

I too have PCOS and it's only now, almost 3 weeks in that I'm really starting to regularly drop the pounds. Don't beat yourself up hun as it's always more difficult to lose weight with PCOS and coupled with the thyroid problem it may take longer. Your body will adjust eventually and the weight WILL come off babes. Dukan is the best diet for PCOS because we store sugar and carbs as fat SO easily because of insulin resistance. Just give it a few weeks like I did and you will start to see those pounds slowly but surely come off. I've lost 8 pounds up to now and I had a really slow start too. One other thing with PCOS is you build lean muscle easily so being on a high protein diet will encourage this more (I know it has with me!) and muscle is heavier than fat so therefore you may not see a massive difference on the scales but you will see a difference in your measurements. Think of it this way....when that weight starts falling off you'll be lovely and toned underneath.....something a lot of women would love! :0)

Just stick with it, come on here and vent if you get frustrated and most of all be patient! Good luck! :0) x

what a lovely supportive thread! :D

That's a great message Wendy! Having been so encouraging to Becky to stick with it, I have been feeling quite frustrated and depressed about my own lack of weight loss. I have now done 10 days cruise since my 3 day attack and have lost a bit less than 2 lb. But I am pre menstrual and I'm feeling slimmer in my clothes so am hoping new muscle is part of the reason. Having reread that message I feel better about pushing on through!

That's a great message Wendy! Having been so encouraging to Becky to stick with it, I have been feeling quite frustrated and depressed about my own lack of weight loss. I have now done 10 days cruise since my 3 day attack and have lost a bit less than 2 lb. But I am pre menstrual and I'm feeling slimmer in my clothes so am hoping new muscle is part of the reason. Having reread that message I feel better about pushing on through!

It sounds as though you may well be slimmer/more toned now. I used to take my measurements weekly and they sometimes gave more of an ego boost than the scales! :)

Back