Not started yet but.....

wobbly tum!

...I'm now trying to decide if I should postpone my start for 2 weeks.

It's my nephew’s birthday on Saturday (my husband’s sisters son) and we've all been invited round for a birthday treat with all the family. Although they all know I've been on a diet I've not told them I've been doing Slim Fast for the 7 weeks and they certainly don't know I intend to start S&S in the New Year (they are a family of naturally thin people who eat whatever they want). I think I'd really find it hard to refuse ALL food and drink whilst being there for around 8 hours. All their gatherings revolve around food and drink and I've just spent a week with them at Christmas!
Then the following weekend is my own daughters 3rd birthday and I will bake her a cake and both my girls (I have a 5 yo too) will find it strange that mummy isn't eating it with them :-( I don't want them to realise that mummy is not eating 'normal' food with them; I just want them to remember the New Mummy that's slim and active and doesn't worry about 'naughty' food.
I'm kind of dreading the first few days of getting into ketosis and dealing with not eating (so is my husband!) and I really don't want to go through it all just to scupper my efforts with off plan food.
Although I'm in the right frame of mind now do you think I'll still be as hyped up if I carry on with Slim Fast for the next 2 weeks and have 2 'naughty' days for the birthdays?
All opinions welcome!

OK, I'm big into Dr Beck, and she would be asking about all the other reasons you may have for not starting your plan. She talks about the strength of the "giving in" muscle, and each time you come up with reasons not to start or follow a plan, then you are strengthening this further. Ultimately, it's got to be your decision, and I understand your fears, but are they really fears? Getting into ketosis isn't all that bad to be honest, and it's totally worth it once you're there. The one thing that would concern me is the amount of sugar you are currently having with SF, so my suggestion would be to perhaps consider kind of weaning yourself off sf before attempting ketosis, maybe this is something you could do over the next couple of weeks to make the transistion easier for you once your events have happened.

I did a family gathering before Christmas that was all about food, had a pack before everyone arrived and then busied myself with serving everyone else for the afternoon and doing the washing up, wasn't tempted once :)

Ah ha, thank you for your thought provoking reply :D
I wouldn't say it's about 'excuses' as such although I suppose it does sound like it! I have decided to start as planned! Plus I agree with you about the sugar in SF and I've weaned myself off over Christmas anyway ;)
I am really looking forward to starting this meal replacement but I'm not looking forward to the stick I'll get if hubby's family find out. My husband is also not keen on me starting but I've told him that it's my decision and I want the weight off now as I'm so fed up with carrying it all around. He's not looking forward to me being grumpy/snappy/cold/hungry/bad tempered and everything else that goes with me reducing my 'normal' food intake! He's also concerned that once I stop I'll put all the weight back on. I've tried to explain that that is the risk with any diet, if you don't chnage the way you think and feel about food.

Will it really hamper my weight loss if I have a slice of cake at each gathering? I can take a bottle of Dr Peper Zero so it won't look like I'm a real party pooper and then a bar as that's easy to eat and won't cause too many questions about my diet. I suppose I can have lunch beforehand too and if it's gets really bad I'm sure there will be something low carb I can eat!
Thanks Noodles :)

Just watch the cocktail sausages ;)

Seriously, I've never felt so good as being in ketosis, and last week off was a reminder of how shocking carbs make me feel, I've noted it all down so I remember if temptation rears it's head in the future. You'll maybe have a couple of days of feeling a bit lethagic, maybe with a headache and a bit of dizziness but once you clear those glycogen stores and start burning fat you'll be feeling great. I didn't tell my family to start with, but once I did they couldn't be more supportive (and I really didn't expect that) - I can see where hubby is coming from, it's a potential big change for you both to go through, and our fella's can be sensitive souls, maybe he's worried what might happen when you are even more gorgeous than you are now?

If you choose the lower carb packs around your gatherings then a piece of cake probably won't take you out of ketosis - try it on the S&S planner and see what you think :)

LOL at the 'even more gorgeous' comment! This is why I don't have a picture of me on my profile!! :D

I've just sorted out my packs into my first week (not sure if I should do 3 or 4 packs a day to start) and I'm going to get hubby to help me measure everything tonight so I can see the tape measure and the scales changing :)
Do I start with the packs I don't think I'll like or the ones that sound nice? I don't want to put myself off so perhaps I should start with the yummy sounding ones.......:confused:

I always found it best to have 1 I fancy, 1 I don't. There is nothing worse then getting to say 4 and having all the pants ones left!!!! I find that quite demotivating!!!

I've ordered the sample pack and starting on Wednesday, And i cant not wait surprisingly! I've separated all mine into days, starting with ones that sound nice so I know what to order for the next batch :)

See Babycake, that's what I was thinking. If I eat all the ones I think I'll like first then I will be less inclined to carry on. BUT if I eat all the yuck ones first then I won't know what to order next time so I have a continuous supply.

I think I'll go for one nice, one yuck per day and pot luck with the rest :)

Good Luck Steff! If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have to lose? Do you plan on 3 +meal or 4 packs per day?

Thankyou, good luck to you too :)

I've started up a diary '2 stone and a bit to go' last night, just to keep focussed, so ill be on there! I'm currently 11st3 and my goal is 9st! I did get up to 11.13 at my highest, but it's coming off so slowly that I don't want to loose the focus and gain it all back and more!

X

Ooopssss ... And I'm planning on 4 packs per day at the moment and ill see how I get on, if one day I really feel like I need to eat something then ill have the 3 and a meal, hoping that wont be very often when I hit ketosis though!

Noodle your advise is FAB!!

Bless you x

Wobbly tum - I think your idea of a fav and a not so fav each day is a good one so you have a variety all the way through. You may well find your tastes changing as the weeks go by so you'll still be left with a variety but it might be different good and bad ones to what you have down as those now. I've just done a count up to put another order in and have tons of shakes and soups but I'm almost out of oatmeal and cottage pie!

By the way, don't know if you've read this in the top tips section, but if you're getting a month at a time, the cheapest way to get it is to buy the mens 5 a day monthly pack, that way you get 5 weeks of 4 packs a day, the only downside is you can only order 28 bars, but you can order more of these on their own too :)

Back