Not surprising I'm not loosing weight !!!

If you look round the internet there are so many 'expert' sites recommending all sorts of different amounts. Some frighteningly low!
My calorie requirements come from NHS website xx

Wowee Zimara, 20 miles per week is dead impressive! Good for you, and no wonder you need so many calories!!!

I'm much more lazy and do hardly any exercise, hence my low calorie requirements!

SuePat, I agree with you too about SW being a realistic and sustainable way of eating, but I know that I have been on plan 100% for a long time and like some of the others, have so few pounds left to lose now that just a few calories over each day and my weight loss will slow down to a barely noticable pace! If I can do without that extra muller light that I don't REALLY need or want, or NOT have that extra helping of dinner (even if it is free) and it makes 100 cals worth of difference, then that's only a good thing for me! xxx Good luck everyone xxx

I agree with Lil Miss Sunshine measure yourself you might have a nice surprise. I did last week when I measured.

I think if you are going to follow SW and trust the diet, then you need to forget all about calorie intake. You really can not do both.

Calorie recommendations alone don't take into account the fat content in foods and I think that is the key here with slimming world. The recommended free foods are low in the "fats" that are most likely to make us gain weight AND low in calories. This is why it works as a calorie counting FREE plan.

Well that is my theory anyway :)

I think if you are going to follow SW and trust the diet, then you need to forget all about calorie intake. You really can not do both.

Calorie recommendations don't take into account the fat content in foods and I think that is the key here with slimming world. The recommended free foods are low in the "fats" that are most likely to make us gain weight, this is why it is a calorie counting FREE plan.

Well that is my theory anyway :)
My diet at the start of this thread is very typical for me as I don't drink. Can you see anything glaringly obvious as to why I would have stuck more or less for over two months? Really appreciate your opinion x

My diet at the start of this thread is very typical for me as I don't drink. Can you see anything glaringly obvious as to why I would have stuck more or less for over two months? Really appreciate your opinion x

I think what you are eating looks fine to me in all honestly. You are definately eating healthily and I don't think there is anything you are doing wrong.

I do notice you are not far off your goal. Could it be that your body is not capable of getting to that goal and the weight you are at now is your healthy weight?

I really do not see much areas you can cut down on from the meal plan you have posted above.

BritMum is right that calorie intake alone isn't a sensible guideline, as fat content is absolutely essential.

But I do think it's possible to do both SW and calorie count should you wish. But I also think it's not necessary for most SWers.

SW concentrates on low fat, filling, nutritious foods and that's absolutely the way it should be...that's the kind of healthy eating for life that we should all be doing...without counting or weighing/measuring (except our HEs, yah!)

If, like Rosie, you're really stuck and don't know where to go with the plan...why not experiment by keeping a track of cals for a couple of weeks? As I said earlier, I wouldn't advocate long term calorie counting. The reason SW is so fab is that we don't have to count obsessively! However, if it gets you out of a sticky phase, why not eat the fabulous SW way but keep an eye on your cals too?

Rosie - I can't see anything wrong with your foods either. I know you're only 5'1", but 128 as a goal seems quite low. It may get you a middle BMI, but as we know, BMI is such a vague indicator.
I've read on other posts that you're frustrated you're in 14s...but BritMum might be right. Your body may be at a naturally comfortable weight for you. How do you look? How do you feel? If you get away from the 14 tag in clothes, are you happy with being 9st10? Because I would be :)

I wouldn't want to tell you how much you should aim for. But, how about maintaining for a while and then seeing about lowering your weight after giving yourself a little break, and seeing if you want to?

hi i am still following SW as i think its great, what i am doing however is putting my intake into my fitness pal to see where the calories and fat comes from in foods - i would not want to go over 2000 a day and i see this as being helpful, i am still gonna eat as many free foods as i want and count syns - but for a while it can help just keeping an eye on CC.

hope that makes sense :)

Measuring will not help. I ahve stayed the same weight since i started in September, with everyone telling my food diariues are good. I only ahve about a stont to lose, though should be able to lose a lot more according to BMI. In the past I ahve done Low cal and carb free diets, and I believe, that unfortunately, my body, just can't handle eating the SW way, and lose weight. It is healthy, and is great for maintaining.

Lydna

i agree with britmum and sue
personally i find the more free food i eat the more i lose. i know alot of people can't understand this but u can eat to little not that i'm saying u r cause your menu looks great but like britmum said maybe this is where u r suppose to be.

Going to have to agree with Britmum on this one. Following slimming world 'rules' and obviously being sensible with portion control has lead to so many people losing weight. Albeit it at a 'slow' yet sensible rate, its the basis for a lifestyle change, be healthy and fit. If you were losing 7 pounds a week, imagine how much loose skin yourd have, amongst other things. Bear in mind also, if you calorie count and have 10 120kcal chocolate bars a day, your body is not going to be anywhere near as nourished as eating 1500kcal worth of good food.

Thanks for sharing this site....it looks like a good way to see not only how many calories you're having, but will also help with the Body Optimising bit.

I don't agree with this way of following the plan. If you find cal counting works for you then great. Part of the appeal for SW (for me at least) is that it doesnt feel like a diet. There's no cal counting, no portion control and no denying yourself if your hungry. Tweaking it in this way, to me, is taking away part of what makes this diet work.

I think if the plan isnt working for you, then by all means try something different. In regards to the orginal poster, then perhaps by watching your calories for a few weeks you can drop those couple of lbs, but maybe when your there and start following the plan normally again, there's always a chance you could regain that little bit of weight bcause your bodys already where it's supposed to be. I don't think it's any coincidence your close to target.

I don't want to be on a "diet", and I know everyones only following guidelines from the NHS in regards to BMI and calorie intake, but I think eating how I do is healthy. I eat my five fruit and veg, all my meat is lean and my meals are freshly prepared. I excercise three times a week and the weight comes off slowly but steadily. So what if I have big portions, it's all healthy food and there's nothing wrong with that. I really think there's a danger to be had with putting everything that passes your lips into a big calculator and fretting over the results. Kudos if it works for others but I don't want that. I want a plan that's sustainable and fits in with my everyday life because thats the only way I'll keep it up for years to come.

Thank you for all your imput. I need to be within normal BMI before I can have surgery on my throat so sadly I can't be happy with the weight I am even if my body thinks otherwise. I need to be at least 9 stone 4 to get out of the overwieght range so this final half a stone is sooooooooooo vital for me xx

well i wont be doing that again, i went by the amount of calories the website said, 1350 and i was doing ok until 3 then i was STARVING by the time i came home and ate all around me, so back to WW points

i must try this fitness pal thing

i have had 1423 calories today and i have eaten totally what i would normally eat on SW.

I am pleased and i know i am not going over calories...still love sw just nice to re check i am along the right path

It's a very good site and very easy to use. It's showing that I've had about 1250 calories today which doesn't seem too bad although I've only had 2 syns and so need to eat something else.

However it tells me that I should be having 1200 calories a day to lose 0.6lbs a week. I often eat far more than I've had today which probably means over 1500 calories, yet since I've started I've averaged at out 0.8lbs per week. If I take into account going off plan on holidays and Christmas, my average loss per week is probably over 1lb. I think there's more to losing weight than just reducing your calories. The kinds of food you eat must play a big role otherwise how could I have lost so much weight by eating a fair few calories each day. I know exercise helps, but I lost my first two stone doing hardly any exercise at all. Slimming World seems to have got the balance of foods just right so that we can eat without worrying about calories.

Mind you, it's starting to get harder to shift now that I'm approaching my last stone. I'm still in the overweight BMI range so I was hoping it wasn't going to get harder just yet. I've tried increasing my superfree to more than 1/3 but my consultant told me I mustn't do that as I would be eating too little. I'm very dubious about that advice as that is the basis of Success Express which is designed to speed up weight loss. I'm just going to have to be patient and keep at it.

Back